Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#311201 09/14/2015 06:58 PM
Grumpy Offline OP
OP Offline
As some know, I am reluctantly trying to liquidate my collection. Honestly, things aren't going all that well, thanks to a slow economy, uncertainty about the future and tight money for many. I understand and appreciate that. In trying to sell some things, I have found a number of other militaria websites do not have the gentlemanly atmosphere found here. I place ads, as I do here, and the ads turn into discussion forums about what is "real" and what is not. Some of the participants are downright rude and obnoxious in their comments, often making personal slurs. I have found the same to be true of some "advice" sites, where people post information and photos of ads they have found, which, as often as not, is like throwing raw meat to a pack of wolves. I have enjoyed collecting for some 35 years and am the first to say I have not seen everything and do not know everything about this hobby. But, I do know some things. I also know the general atmosphere and attitude is vastly different than even a few years ago. There are way to many naysayers and self-appointed critics who haven't the slightest idea what they are talking about. Yet, they are influential when they lash out about some item shown on a site seeking opinions, when they don't know what they are talking about. Such tends to "poison" the sale of legitimate items. Such nonsense, with very few exceptions, doe not exist here at GDC. If someone asks for opinions, they usually receive knowledgeable, courteous replies. If someone questions an ad item, they have the courtesy to send a private message or email, rather than posting their observations or question in the ads themselves. This speaks a great deal of the caliber of the members here and it is refreshing, to say the least.

Well Said Grump

M
M
Ditto. Nice post.

To make matters worse on some of these other sites, the naysayers and the slaggers are ones who are self-appointed experts on things that they may well have never handled or owned in their lives.

Pettiness and jealousy rule the day.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
T
Online Content
T
Well said! Ron

Originally Posted By: Grumpy
As some know, I am reluctantly trying to liquidate my collection. Honestly, things aren't going all that well, thanks to a slow economy, uncertainty about the future and tight money for many. I understand and appreciate that. In trying to sell some things, I have found a number of other militaria websites do not have the gentlemanly atmosphere found here. I place ads, as I do here, and the ads turn into discussion forums about what is "real" and what is not. Some of the participants are downright rude and obnoxious in their comments, often making personal slurs. I have found the same to be true of some "advice" sites, where people post information and photos of ads they have found, which, as often as not, is like throwing raw meat to a pack of wolves. I have enjoyed collecting for some 35 years and am the first to say I have not seen everything and do not know everything about this hobby. But, I do know some things. I also know the general atmosphere and attitude is vastly different than even a few years ago. There are way to many naysayers and self-appointed critics who haven't the slightest idea what they are talking about. Yet, they are influential when they lash out about some item shown on a site seeking opinions, when they don't know what they are talking about. Such tends to "poison" the sale of legitimate items. Such nonsense, with very few exceptions, doe not exist here at GDC. If someone asks for opinions, they usually receive knowledgeable, courteous replies. If someone questions an ad item, they have the courtesy to send a private message or email, rather than posting their observations or question in the ads themselves. This speaks a great deal of the caliber of the members here and it is refreshing, to say the least.

B
B
I am sorry for your troubles, you do not deserve to be subjected to the nonsense of the no-nothing internet trolls that some other militaria forums are plagued with.

"... the general atmosphere and attitude is vastly different than even a few years ago." Too true Grumpy, too true. Thank you for the post!

GDC Gold Badge #0204

"Even if such objects cannot change the soul of man, at least they give him an identity." - Heinrich Himmler
P
P
Always easy to be an idiot when hiding behing a computer board.

Last edited by Patrice; 09/15/2015 12:10 PM.
Unfortunately, I have seen good daggers trashed making them "tainted" and nearly unsellable.
On the other hand these forums have greatly increased the knowledge of collectors. I guess we have to accept the bad with the good.

D
D
Thanks to you Grumpy for all the years of bringing class and useful information to the forum.

I'm hopeful you won't lose intrest in the hobby and stay on these forums to help the balance.

Well Grumpy, GDC is pretty much the only forum where I feel comfortable because of the good folks that are here together for this hobby. I've seen your stuff posted for sale and I always wished I had the cash to buy it but my wallet is not cooperating with me most of the time. LOL

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,677 SS Bayonets
1,760,364 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,807 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 03/29/2024 03:20 PM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 03/29/2024 03:12 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 03/29/2024 02:54 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 03/29/2024 02:52 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Stephen - 03/29/2024 02:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,653
Posts328,725
Members7,504
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, Stephen, sellick8302@rogers.com, hdmarley, RookieSA, Baz69, Fitzer, JEAN-PIERRE, Dave, benten, Vern, Gaspare), 560 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod