Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Exactly, Jim.

I encourage authors of new books, whether Moderator, Premium Member or not, to post their books including a sales message here. I see it as a service to the Community and a small reward for their work. Ron Weinand posted his NPEA tome here.

A few mods have a link built into their signature like WWII-Collector or Ross Kelbaugh and all mods get to post free sales ads as compensation for their help.

Gaspare said " Now,,,defensive, non participants with the only advice is to buy their self authenticating items!". He is right that a few have not shown up in a while but I am going to fix that soon.

Meantime, Gaspare, tell me who you have in mind.

Dave

Dave,

All I can say is, thank you for all your hard work and keeping this site moving forward. I've only had great experiences here with moderators and collectors. This is the best site I've had the privilege to be a part of. Thank you.

I get to post free for sale adds? When did that start?

It does not really matter as I have long been a premium member, but it would be nice to know these things.

Put this out to the collecting community and you might have a lot of volunteers for moderator jobs.

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Not attempting to speak for G but it would seem to me that the phrase "self authenticating " narrows it down to 1 person.

Doug
Jim,

2-3 years at least, probably more. I think it goes back to the start of the Premium Member and For Sales areas.

Dave

Moderators have always been able to post to the GDC Bazaar (and so can dealers with Banner ads). It's been that way for years and that information was sent to all mods via email when we set those forums up originally.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
G
G
Jim, I'm not promoting anything. I've had several emails asking IF I'm going to resume writing after losing my home twice.. All I've done was to answer them on my forum.. I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything. Over the last 30 years I've collected a certain area or Nazi regalia. I've got a bunch of period documentation, period photos and advertisements and help from around the world. When I'm done I'm thinking of publishing it to help like collectors from being ripped off,and maybe other might find of interest.,simple as that.

Dave, I belong to 5 forums. I didn't mention anything about this forum did I. I'm not writing about anyone exactly as I'm lumping mods and dealers together.. But yes, I did use a quote from a dealer and one time Mod/Admin here.

All I'm saying that Mod or Dealer or even member,,that after they take enough heat,have customers be unhappy, bad return experiences,etc. they eventually stop posting....

B
B
The hobby has been full of crooks and fakes since the get go. It all started in May of 45 and it's still wide open. What's good or bad, who knows? You can't even trust what comes from the vet much less the dealer. Sure, they may offer a 100% money back guarantee but what do they loose. The buyer has to find out it's fake first, then call the dealer, most times argue with the dealer, pay return postage etc., etc.

S
S
I assume therefore Bama per your post, you are not in the hobby due to the concerns you raised? smile
Rick

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments
You can tell if something is original when comparing to an original so you can tell if something from a vet is original as well as a dealer....

B
B
I'm still here and I'm still collecting! It's kind of like Harley-Davidson the company ******** and the bikes still break down but I love em. I'm 55 and have been collecting since childhood. My Father gave me the Japanese sword he brought home and my Uncle send me a large Nazi flag he got in Normandy with the Big Red One. So it's not hard for me to love the hobby but hate the crooks and fakes. So KB how do you know an original is original? The Germans were putting whatever parts they had left together for souvenir sales before the war was even over. I've looked at many mismatched items over the years that the vet claimed he picked up just that way and he may have. SS daggers hanging on Luftwaffe combat belts etc., etc. I always thought the blade on my Fathers sword was bright and shiny until we were talking about getting some bike parts chromed and he said he had the sword plated when he got home from the war. Just last year I bought what looked like a SS Officer degen from the family of a deceased vet. When I got there they brought out and WKC Army sword and a Alcoso Police Officer degen. The Police Officer had an original SS Officer degen rune button where the eagle should have been. I have never seen what I believe is a true 1936 model Alcoso SS degen and I don't think they made them. It was obvious that someone had tried to stick the round SS button in an eagle hole. You could still see where the wings were. So did the family put it in there? They said they had not. Did the vet? Did he find it that way? Who knows? Is it original pre May 45? Who knows?

This is what gives the challenge if collecting. If there were no fakes it would be a bit boring after time and many would start collecting. With fakes, it gives the challenge but you just have to be careful. As far as things made up after the war, I don't consider them all fakes if they were within a certain amount of time. They are still original parts and are a unique part of history. As far as comparing to originals, it would be impossible without older collectors who collected before the modern fakes.... So older collectors are a a good source (most of the time) as if they had seen something at that time and can confirm it existed or they had seen one can help come par to an original

The show continues on WAF and gunboards.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?354467-Craig-Gottlieb-now-a-Grave-Digger-Nat-Geo-Getting-Pounded!!!!&p=2930374#post2930374

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
The man is positively ghoulish, I do believe he would dig up and sell his grannies knickers if he could turn a buck on it.

Doug
Skynyrd: Unfortunately he already has !!!

Urban B Martinez Jr
well it appears he has hit a new low guys as he is now on a NAT GEO show digging up war graves, see link below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz2xLAKI84W

I like this comment the best.

"One of the program's presenters, Craig Gottlieb, is a dealer in Nazi memorabilia, and who is quoted on the National Geographic site as saying: ‘I feel that by selling things that are Nazi related and for lots of money, I’m preserving a part of history that museums don’t want to bother with."".

I remember when people posted photos here of "dug" relics and were labeled grave robbers. But now they are saviors of history.

Go figure.

Jim,

They are still grave robbers.

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Whatever spin they try to put on it, they are intruding on the final resting place of a fallen solider in a very unprofessional manner and should be roundly condemned by anyone with a shred of decency.
Most of us here who have some inkling of what CG is about makes it that much worse ,,, I am positive that if one of the bones he pulled out had a TK ring he would pocket it in a heartbeat.

Here is he fondling one of his captured skulls, I think this is where he was alleged to have cried on camera.

Doug
A
A
and yet Craig still advertises on this site

win if you can,lose if you must,but always cheat.

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Glad they pulled it, trivializing fallen soldiers and treating their remains with such disrespect is no laughing matter, I am surprised that they would have lent their name to such a ghoulish concept anyhow.
It would appear that they were counting on most people not having a problem with Nazis being desecrated, little did they know that most men take offense to any war grave being disturbed in such a tacky & sensationalized fashion.
Shame on Craig once again - I shudder to think of what his next gimmick is going to be.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 04/01/2014 06:31 AM.

Doug
National Geographic also said that none of the items dug up during filming would be sold but instead would be donated to war museums. The critics however found a posting on a military collectors’ online forum in which Mr. Gottlieb described locating a Latvian war helmet in June and preparing it for sale.

Interesting thing of them to note. Apparently the New York Times reads Wehrmacht Awards.

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2014/03...diggers/102632

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Last edited by Dow Cross; 04/01/2014 05:38 PM.
Let the dead rest. Any relics dug up could not be in the best of condition anyway, with perhaps few exceptions, such as those made of aluminum. I don't know what prompted NG to pursue such a macabre course. For Gottlieb, Insuspect it was for publicity and an attempt to establish himself as an esteemed expert for future ventures.

L
Online Content
L
Anyone with even a modicum of decency can only view this with the utter contempt it deserves. There are plenty of scum grave robbing the eastern battle sites but this is about as distasteful as it is possible to get. I find it highly offensive and will leave it there.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
I believe the time has come to ban Craig Gottlieb from this site so as to distance ourselves from him and his actions that can only bring further disgrace for our hobby.

Urban B Martinez Jr
S
S
+1 the russian...I'm sure he would not care

Sepp

I have to agree with both the Russian and Sepp. As soon as I read his statements and saw this new endeavor, I believed we need to dis associate ourselves from Craig. Once the press makes the connection here, who knows what will happen.

Sepp is correct, Craig has moved on. In a direction we don't like. I do not believe this forum matters to him anymore.

Perhaps Vern could talk to him about withdrawing for the good of the forum.

Banner has been removed.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
Searching for and locating sites of fallen soldiers is okay as long as these sites are brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities for interment. You just can't go digging them up at your leisure. Profit and greed is the only reason I see. Although,I wouldn't mind hearing CG excuse. What about the others involvement and what's there reasoning. What do metal detectors hunt for? Buried treasure!

Thank you Vern, always found you to be a man of principle and honesty.

Urban B Martinez Jr
S
S
Thank You Vern...smart move...CG what a tool

Sepp

G
G
Vern , while I've been on the side of diggers in the past Craigs reason wasn't survival it was in search of fame and fortune.
This topic though isn't about diggers etc. it is about CG and his made up ******** and his lies. It takes a while but collectors get tired of it and even though well protected at WAF in the past you just can't go against a big majority of members.
As far as here,,its a real shame. From what I remember it was you Vern and him that got this place going many years ago. It's amazing the journey he's taken and where's he's ended up. He won't care much about the bannings and no matter how fucked up he is there will be customers that buy from him when he gets the piece they're looking for and that's the real shame...
Thanks for taking a stand Vern..

S
S
So many say he is 'banned' from GDC, but it seems it's not so. Only his banner add was removed.

P
P
Certainly not banned from the advertising section. sleep

I am sure we will get an explanation as this seems very odd

T
T
Now if Pawn Stars would just can him, I'd start watching the show again.

I love the way Rick always says that 3rd Reich items have bad karma and he won't deal with them, but then he deals with a guy who is desecrating Nazi graves.

Go figure.

T
Online Content
T
Well said!
Ron

Originally Posted By: Jim W
I love the way Rick always says that 3rd Reich items have bad karma and he won't deal with them, but then he deals with a guy who is desecrating Nazi graves.

Go figure.

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Is he still on pawn stars, haven't watched the show in quite a while, not much of a TV guy and it seems every time its on it is a rerun.
I know they have other firearm/militaria "experts" who "know everything that there is to know" about guns ect, that must really get Craigs goat to have competition.
The whole thing is such an obvious setup from start to finish, its lost its appeal for me. You already know people just don't walk in off the street and luck out and get on camera, everything they say and do is pre planned and choreographed. A far cry from any "reality" if you ask me. Can't blame CG for using it as a stepping stone, they have had what 2 or 3 spinoffs already from their "experts" ,, But the road he is on now is a strange one, without a moral compass there is no telling which way he'll go next.

Doug
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,513 SS Bayonets
1,760,290 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (JonathanC, Tanker, Baz69, Landser, Billy G., Documentalist, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN), 537 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod