Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Sedge of Cranes. A trio of Early Robert Klaas slant gripped heer daggers. Klaas no doubt made one of the most interesting early army daggers. As evident by these three examples they used a variety of different parts. Compare these initial-early production examples and you can you see they used different types of scabbard screws-scabbard bands-grips even the scabbard tips vary. Klaas arguably sported the best and most prolific hand enhancement of the period even into the later years of production. It’s thought the earliest crossguard examples had little to no hand work and the practice was adopted early in production. Its interesting the crossguard on the center example here exhibits this trait showing little to no hand detail work. The center blade segment on some of these early Klaas have cross grain running Vertically a feature I have only seen on Klaas and Holler. The well known Klaas Asterisk was used on the edges of the scabbard bands throughout the firm’s heer dagger production. As time permits I will add detailed shots of each dagger and point out some specific traits of each. My favorite would be the top dagger it has a glass type grip and a jeweler quality personalization.

army-klaas-trio-front.jpg (113.78 KB, 277 downloads)
army-klaas-trio-back.jpg (118.23 KB, 277 downloads)

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Ok folks, you have to realise just how rare these type one Klaas slant griped armies are....and THREE in one spot is just Heer overload!! I have seen two of these in person and they are unique pieces to say the least! The top example has a wonderful translucent grip..love it Tom! The second down has the most unique super dark patina..looks like crude oil all over! I kid you not.. Thanks for a chance to compare, look forward to more. Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
OP Offline
Kevin Thank You - Your right the patina on the center dagger is unique never seen a patina quite like it - We love crude oil down here in Texas! Perhaps when I get around to snapping some individual pictures it will show the patina better.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
I'd stand in line for a look/see. smile

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Tom,

Gorgeous set of triplets!!! I'd be willing to bet your other daggers are jealous!

Just checked out your website as well. Very nice, super collection!!!

Rich

In memory of my loyal companion Nitro.
R
R
Hi Tom,

That's a fantastic trio of early Klass army daggers, you certainly know how to find them.

Regards

Rhidian

OP Offline
Here are the detailed shots of the Klaas daggers. I will post the pictures in the order they are seen in the group shot from top to bottom. The all have the Klaas type-1 crossguard. This guard was recently discovered & acknowledged as a new type by me and several other army collectors. It’s really a beautiful bird this guard can be found with varying levels of hand enhancement from extensive to minimal. A few interesting features that easily distinguish this guard as a unique type are the 5 wing segments and lack of a pedestal under the swastika. They all seem to exhibit a misshapen swastika with a unique flaw on the tip of the top leg perhaps a result of the finishing process. The swastika on the middle example is noticeably dimensionally smaller again likely due to the hand finishing process. The pommels seem consistent each a miniature work of art the hand detail work is extensive and achieves the same level of craftsmanship as the crossguards and complements them nicely. The blades are all the polished type with the cross grain on the center segment running the opposite direction then the sides. The position of the stamped maker mark is consistent on these 3 examples. While Klaas is known for producing army daggers with nickel plated blades it’s my belief the earliest examples will have the polished blades. The scabbards are a study in them self Klaas used various different configurations during their early production. They are manufactured from a lightweight type base metal perhaps an attempt by Klaas to lighten the dagger you see this same feature on the SMF slant army daggers. On these three examples you can see different scabbard bands (all three have different style bands) – different size rings – different size/type screws and even the scabbard tips vary in size. One thing that is consistent Klaas always used the Asterisk enhancement on the edges of the scabbard bands. Klaas certainly made one of the finest army daggers 75 years later its obvious quality was an important part of their business model and why these daggers are coveted by army collectors today.

OP Offline
This dagger has a glass grip while not the desirable translucent type it certainly exhibits a glass appearance. I have only seen these glass slants on Klaas daggers. Crossguard is extensively hand worked not a spot left untouched you see the familiar punched eye we all love - really the finest type of this work you will see on a crossguard. The back is engraved with the former owner’s initials. Not sure if it JM or TM perhaps Wotan can advise. Certainly a possible research project as we know this dagger was made in 1935 so a look at the 35 rank list may yield some results. The dagger surprisingly has some traces of lacquer clinging to it. The scabbard has tiny domed head screws and bands that are reminiscent of the early Eickhorn & Horster although different. The scabbard rings and scabbard tip are noticeably smaller then the other two examples.

OP Offline
This example has a unique gun metal patina hard to explain but very pleasing and different. The crossguard at first look appears to have little hand enhancement but upon looking closer its there just buried under a heavy silver plate and patina. Certainly it has less then the other two examples note the head does not have the punched eye really sets this guard apart as we get a better glimpse of what the base guard would look like. This dagger also has the tiny domed screws my guess these would be earlier then the larger flat head screws. Interesting the scabbard bands are running in opposite directions you see this from time to time while these companies strived for perfection at times these things slipped by.

OP Offline
The crossguard on this example exhibits extensive hand work its very similar to the top example compare the enhancements you will see they mirror each other nicely. I really like the style of the wreath enhancement as well as the breast and head you can tell this is a Klaas without seeing a maker mark. This scabbard has the larger flat head screws.

Tom, A valuable and beautiful study of the type 1 Klaas! I hope to add to this post soon, Just a real pleasure to look at these and your fine pics, well done! Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
OP Offline
Kevin thank you my friend - I can’t wait to see your example - also I am glad someone appreciates the finer details I am trying to expand my threads beyond just posting pictures but adding information about the intricacies of the daggers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern), 347 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod