Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Early WKC Heer dagger distributor marked AUG.LUNEBURG, KIEL the distributor mark is very interesting and a bonus I do not ever recall seeing a WKC distributor marked army dagger - have you? In my limited research AUG.LUNEBURG was established in 1881 and specialized in navy wares they retailed some very high end navy daggers of which WKC was their primary supplier. I envision this Heer dagger was special ordered by an army officer who was located in proximity to the retailer or perhaps as a prominent WKC distributor Luneburg inventoried a few Heer daggers. The reason I bought the dagger was the crossguard while very similar to the WKC type 2 the crossguard has several features that are distinct primarily the head shape-size and proximity to the top of the crossguard. The head is so close to the top of the guard its actually shaved off so it did not extend above it. I also like the beautiful extensive hand work to the crossguard and pommel particularly the detail to the eagle’s eye and beak the hilt fittings are early brass based. The scabbard has the early double screws and the blade does have a tapered tang. This could be an early variation of the type 2 or perhaps wishful thinking on my part a previously unidentified crossguard variation if that’s the case it certainly precedes the accepted type 2 variation. Every type 2 WKC crossguard I have seen is of a lightweight inferior base metal which did not hold a silver plate very well. The head on the type 2 have a distinct shape-size & proximity and distinct punched eye. I have seen one other of these crossguards on an early WKC heer perhaps some of the army collectors have one residing in their collections? Aside scrutinizing the details an exciting variation I was happy to add to my army collection and thanks to my good friend who allowed me to add this to my collection I am thankful he doesn’t collect army daggers. Of course these observations are based on limited research so I am open to opinions - comments & observations from my fellow army collectors.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
F
F
... very interesting artefact. Beside the good condition of this dagger the retailer mark adds an interesting point for me. First time that I see this retailer name on a Heer dagger. This dagger underlines that we are all still students in the hobby, every day there is something new to learn.

Good that such a rare bird is in good hands now and great that you shared this dagger with us.

Best;
Hermann

Thomas,

I agree with Hermann 100%. That is one fantastic Heer dagger, rare as can be and in superb condition to boot.

Many thanks for sharing this great acquisition with all of us!

Best regards from downtown Media!

Bill

A beautifully conditioned Army dagger. I don't believe I've ever seen the Aug. Luneburg distributor mark on an Army dagger either. As you mention, their mark appears nearly all the time on KM daggers although I did recently see a hirschfanger with the mark which I found also unusual. I have a fire bayonet with the mark but have only seen 2, maybe 3 such bayonets with this mark. They obviously didn't retail in other items very often. Thanks for showing it to us!

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Tom,
What a fantastic dagger this one turned out to be. Your pictures really do it justice as well. Certainly a very early piece with extensive hand enhancing, the wreath work is fantastic. I have owned a couple of early WKC 2nd's that did use a better quality base metal than is usually found on the later ones, but nothing with this level of enhancing. The head is vastly different to the typical WKC 2nd and I can see now why you think it could be a unique variation.

Great dagger !

A really unique and beautiful Heer, Very well may be the rarest variation of Heer put out by WKC.. Great detail and what you believe to be brass fittings. I think that the double screw scabbard along with the brass construction places this variation firmly between the WKC 1st and 2nd..That distributer mark really adds interest too.. Really unusual in itself! THE rarest of the rare WKC, super cool piece Tom, CONGRATS! Kevin

Last edited by heers68; 08/03/2013 02:21 PM.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
Very nice Tom,congrats

Stingray

Cool, Tom.

Maybe, I should start collecting early Heers?

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
That's a fantastic dagger! Very rare and in fantastic condition. With daggers like this I dare not post any army dagger of mine anymore. They would look like kitchen knives compared to yours smile

Danny

Beautiful dagger, a distributor that I have only seen on WKC Navy's and hirschfängers, as usual your pictures are the best.

thanks for showing.

Gary

OP Offline
Many thanks for the reply’s guys I really enjoy the hunt and sharing with other collectors.
Jon & Kevin- Thanks I agree it must be between Type-1 and Type-2 no doubt it’s a WKC product based on several features one the pear shaped breast and another the pointless wing spines both features are seen on the type two as you guys know. Perhaps we can call this one the WKC type 1.5
John Z- I pray every night you don’t collect these ugly army daggers.
Danny- smile
Gary- Thanks for the input I thought of you when I got this as when I was researching the distributor I saw your killer Luneburg marked ivory grip navy!

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
O
O
really great dagger, thank you for showing this item.

O
O
hello,
is this eagle on my dagger the same at your dagger?
My dagger is a WKC too.
Regards oliver

20130807_182449_resized (Klein).jpg (53.45 KB, 97 downloads)
Oli, I believe that is the regular type 2 WKC with the light metal base. Not an easy configuration to find either! Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,507 SS Bayonets
1,760,286 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
18 members (AndyRose, Documentalist, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten, Don Scowen, polop, Browning1900, Tanker, BAM, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Julianek), 603 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod