Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,
I just signed up, it maybe a little rude to fire off questions immediatly, ifso forgive me.
I have my eye on a Deutschen J�gerschaft Hirschf�nger but I am a novice and I want to be carefull.
I try to do my homework, I buy a lot of books and I read the guide by mr Houston very nice, thank you.
The knife I am asking advice about looks good to me exept for 2 things that I don`t know about.

1: The Maker doesnt look familiar to me.

2: The pommel nut. I understood that very long ones are a red flag, is this such a long pommel nut?

I would very much like to know if this is a pre 1945 made knife that is factory assembled.

Thank you, Regards,
Dan

1 (Medium).jpg (118.6 KB, 329 downloads)
2 (Medium).JPG (81.55 KB, 322 downloads)
3 (Medium).JPG (67.48 KB, 320 downloads)
4 (Medium).JPG (83.16 KB, 322 downloads)
5 (Medium).JPG (78.97 KB, 321 downloads)
JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
And the last one...

6(Medium).jpg (84.6 KB, 319 downloads)
JDD, first let me welcome you to the forum.
I am NOT "THE" expert concerning DJ daggers, but to start opinions I do a try.
The portepee is improper, it would either be for a alk-out-bayonet froff staff formation or German Rifle Assotiation, both did use the same.
The DJ grip badge seems to be an original, period one but denazified.
Generally stamped mms are a good sign (for sure you have already seen this in Houston�s valuable guide). This one seems to be stamped. But as you, I have never seen it before.
The etching seems deep which normally is a good sign, but for me it lacks certain features I do know from doubtless period DJ etchings.
I do own several period DJ daggers and the fit of grip/crossguard and grip/pommel is more delicate and skillful than compared with this speciman here.
Finally, yes, the long pommel acorn normally is a bad sign. I personally have not seen such one on a doubtless period hunting dagger.
Personally I would tend to think it is a post may 45 manufactured dagger but would like to hear mor specialized and experienced opinions.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
The "mm" seems to be a W combined with an M. Have looked through Fisher�s Quick Reference concerning trademarks starting with W and M but could not find any which resembles this one here.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Wotan, I suppose I better wait for another opportunity then.
I hope there are some other people with a opinion on this one...

JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Wotan, I suppose I better wait for another opportunity then.
I hope there are some other people with a opinion on this one...

JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Wotan-everybody,
I`ve requested some more pictures of the pommel-nut from the seller of this Hirschfanger.
Can you tell me anything more with these pics?
Is this definitely a red flag, too large?
Thanks,
Dan

DSC00334 (Small).JPG (64.66 KB, 220 downloads)
DSC00335 (Small).JPG (61.99 KB, 219 downloads)
JDD, I cannot understand why no other member does write his opinion concerning this dagger.

Personally I do not like this elongated pommel acorn.

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Wotan:

Neither do I, but then I only have Eickhorns in my collection, so what do I know?

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
I was hoping for some more replies as well. Time is running out on this one. I will wait for another occasion.
I really like the patina on this one though.
Thank you again!
Dan

Not an expert also but I don't like the looks of the grip has that "new" plastic look.After looking at mine the tone or color is more stag looking on mine

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

Everything that was needed to authenticate this hirschf�nger either for good or bad is on this forum, granted you would have had to dig deep but it is there, by the way the hirschf�nger is a good one and the maker is WMW, Waffenfabrik Max Weyersberg. Of course the reason that I did not reply is because I was aiming to bid on this auction, for future reference the one big question to ask is whether the scabbard has runners, if it has and it has a stamped mark then it is almost certainly a period hirschf�nger, the anomoly of the elongated pommel nut is one that needs to be studied and the whole dagger and it's individual parts taken into account. Apart from the blade etch the whole hirschf�nger has parts commonly seen on WKC models, there are WKC models posted previously on this forum, check out the shape of the scabbard mounts, a dead giveaway of WKC manufacture. Other than the obvious the colour of the fittings is another big clue, there are very few post war hirschf�ngers with the heavy silver content of these nickel silver fittings, you just do not see this ageing on even late 1940's/early 1950's hirschf�ngers, the two pictures posted of the pommel and nut clearly show this patina and remnants of the lacquer.

Gary

I did not know that this dagger is from an auction. Now the silence is clear to me.
Baz69, thank you for your detailed and experienced insight. My first thought concerning the mm also has been WMW but I could not find the certain mark in any reference so it remained unknown to me.
Could you gain this dagger?
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Wotan

Yes I did get the hirschf�nger, it's a maker that I did not have, in fact it is a very rare mark although I'm sure they made quite a few many were unmarked, I have seen at least 6 or 7 unmarked versions for sale over the last few years and have sold a couple myself.I had never before this auction seen this mark before but I knew they existed as another forum member mentioned he had one, putting two and two together just added up to me. The fact that it is lacking a swastika now makes no difference to me at all, I do not collect hirschf�ngers because it has this symbol on it. I will post more detailed pictures once I have received it.

Gary

JDD Offline OP
OP Offline
Congratulations Gary,
Like I mentioned in the starting topic I am somewhat of a novice on these but since today again a little less so...
If someone could have taken my insecurity away and authenticated it I would have bought it... Next one.
Great tips, thanks
Dan

P
P
Another great score Gary congrats. Paul

FUR EHR' UND PFLICHT BIS HERZ UND KLINGE BRICHT
Baz69, that is very special, experienced knowledge I don�t have. I personally would not have bought this dagger if I had seen it on any show. Congrats.
JDD, sorry I could not judge it better.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,157 SS Bayonets
1,764,305 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,047 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 04:22 PM
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/09/2024 03:54 AM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/09/2024 02:10 AM
Flare guns or pistols! Lets see them!!!!!
by Mikee - 05/09/2024 12:18 AM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by den70 - 05/08/2024 06:04 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,673
Posts329,159
Members7,530
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Don Scowen, OWN, Mikee, Honestmike, den70, Documentalist), 619 guests, and 107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod