Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ouch, now that is corroded !
Amazing how some metal items can sit in the ground for decades and come out relatively intact, others not. Like you say, the combo of elements must be deadly to metal.

Doug
M
M
Awful. not to mention the sewage, that's even worse.. Remember u have some good friends here, always in ur corner, God bless you and your family! Stay safe through hurricane season this year!

G
G
an update,,, as told here and topic posted by my dear departed friend John Pepera,,,,Thanks again John, will never forget this,,,,RIP

So,, August 2011.,, We lose our home to Hurricane Irene. We had a couple feet of water in the house. Lost a lot,,,BUT we rebuilt in record time!

Then October 28/29 2012 Super Storm Sandy hit us.. Over 4 ft of water inside the home... The whole town flooded. Over 2000 residents and every home had made a insurance claim. Much of Long Island was in bad trouble. Immediately after the event,,no fresh water, no elec/power , no Nat gas,,,no gasoline and after a couple days no food. We even had a bit of martial law going on for a few days. The nat guard was here, and a curfew imposed..We lost everything. Thinking I was smart we evacuated and put many of our possessions at a safe house. Safe because of the elevation was high.. Well 'safe' wasn't,,that home too flooded and we lost everything there...

I remember it pretty cold. I walked down the block to the Nat Guard set up for a case of water . I went with a Russian rifle slung on my shoulder and no one said anything. Looting had been pretty rampant. I was asked by a nice young guard to check the rifle at the entrance and not to leave the property again with it..

A organization was set up called New York Rising. We quality for a new home,,built to a high elevation... There were still many problems and it took SIX YEARS to get it all right and for them to actually build the home for us..

So one more time,,,My family and I thank you all for all the help and prayers , support from the members of this forum.. Thanks so much guys..

Here it is,,,hopefully in a couple months it will be done and we'll be high and dry come next 100 year storm wink

zzzzzbh2.JPG (83.62 KB, 95 downloads)
G
G

zzzzzbh.JPG (58.68 KB, 95 downloads)
M
M
hi gaspare
good morning to you wow you are finaly getting there as far as your house man you really went thru the mill twice with storms it really looks like a strong looking building this time i wish you and your family the best years to come once this house is finished as far as the military history artyifacts you lost in these two storms it hurts badly im sure but thank god you and family survived these storms god bless andy militarynut

G
G
Dave,, you've been asking so here's a few photos.. I didn't remember but there are some post / finished shots here already!

So here it is before.. We had a little over 2 feet in Hurricane Irene. Lost a lot, had a lot of demo and rebuilding... Then a few years after we had another 100 yr storm whistle.
That was SuperStorm Sandy! She was a bad one.. All the planets were lined up for that one. We had 5 feet of water in most of the house. Lost everything. Pages 3 and 4 here will show what happens when salt water and sewage hits your collection!
anyway,,,again a bigger demo and a total rebuild... It had come out great.... Bottom photo is the house after Sandy!!

OldHouse.jpg (85.54 KB, 39 downloads)
streetview.jpg (61.87 KB, 39 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 11/22/2018 07:09 PM.
G
G
SO,, Yes,, after we built a beautiful house,,the State / Gov. tells us we are 'repetitive loss' high this, high that.. The house cabn not stay like that and if we keep it we must pay $5200. a year for flood insurance! So it took a while to set up the agencies to help and rebuild our town and neighboring areas/cities.. In the end it was safer to rebuild the entire house then to lift it as we were on a 4 inch slab that was all cracked etc. Crazy but thats how it was.. So while they were getting together we had to pay that [and a very high HOs also! ] for 5 years!

Here is the after.. We are up there!! I now have a garage.. With some smart planning I can use it as such , also going to make a small machine shop down there ..

House has everything 'on demand'. The hot water systems etc... Also, Central air,,Hydronic heating.. and the same amount of bedrooms and bathrooms as we had. They let you change very little.. So IF you had all that stuff before hand,,thats what your going to get.
There are a few exceptions - No tile! you get linoleum,,no carpeting,, as far as paint and siding,,you have a choice of 3 colors... Except the 'on demand' stuff,,everyone gets that mandatory.. They tell us the house is very 'Green',,,great..

They gave us the house but it needed some small finishings.. There were no shower heads,,no medicine cabinets,, no towel racks, no toilet paper holders, or curtain rods, no closet shelving or even rods, no bathroom vanities, no landscaping.. We have a family member who is handicapped,,,so there is a small elevator,,all the doors are wheelchair accessible, etc.

So,, on this day I do have a lot to be Thankful for! A true Thanksgiving for our family.. Thanks again to all those listed on page one who helped us out and those praying for us. It all helps folks!!. So thanks again and wish everyone here at GDC a Happy Healthy Thanksgiving!!

- No drinking and driving and texting!

New.JPG (74.38 KB, 38 downloads)
20181122_140828.jpg (144.69 KB, 32 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 11/22/2018 07:17 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,892 SS Bayonets
1,763,183 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,881 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by wotan - 04/27/2024 10:12 AM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,075
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stephen, Billy G., Documentalist, ed773, Vern, Evgeniy), 605 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod