Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
hi dean
dont know if i can be of much help here on your great looking eagle especially with no marks in my opinion i would say its an imperial austrian eagle those spread feathers on the bottom of the wings tells me this but i can be wrong i had purchased a simular eagle just before the max show but had to leave the eagle home as i had no room unless i wanted to damage it my eagle is sheeted bronze very light weight but from what i remember closed wings i will try n post it in may when i return north but this is my my opinion is its probly imperial german or austrian what else can it be doesnt look american hope some one else gives thier opinion god bless andy militarynut

D
OP Offline
D
Appreciate the input and help Andy.

I'd like to see the eagle you picked up and know if it has any markings or clues to it's origin.

I've been trying to determine if the granite used for the base is native to germany or from that region, but so far no luck.

I don't know if it means anything but I did find a similar looking 3rd reich eagle on a card but it is clutching a swaz and facing the opposite way.

Thanks, Dean

rsz_1eagle.jpg (6.17 KB, 167 downloads)
P1020239.JPG (20.18 KB, 165 downloads)
M
M
hi dean
your wellcome to bad i dont have this eagle here in my winter home florida sorry its back in pennsylvania in may i will shoot you a picture like i said my eagle is very lite weight it is made of sheeted bronze or brass colored bronze great contruction i cant find diddly squat markings at all the eagle like yours sits on a bronze ball the eagles head reminds me of lsah eagle but it isnt magnificent looking head just like yours very detailed i still feel yours and mine is either german or austrian imperial eagles ps is your eagle missing wing tips on either side or is it the pictures let me know thanks god bless have a great day andy militarynut

D
OP Offline
D

Andy

I don't think the wing tips are missing but I may not be understanding what you see.

Digging for more info these examples found on thirdreicheagles.blogspot

I thought the eagles alone had some similarities and the author calls the 1st example as Nurnberg Desk Eagle Swept Wing Variant 2 and list this info -

This beautiful desk eagle shows a spread out swept wing style that was described in an early post. It is beautifully crafted and weighs very heavy. The key difference to the previous one is that this desk piece has its eagle soldered on a metal base and with a matt black semi lustre finish. Exceptionally craftsmanship. The base shows an engraved dedication made in 1938. There are no maker marks on this piece, although some examples of this particular variant came from the HB foundry.

Example 2 is referred to as Nurnberg Desk Eagle Swept Wing Variant has a different finish and appears to be on the same granite base (but smaller) as opening post adler.

It's description

Not officially a Nurnberg style eagle, this is the third most commonly encountered variant of desk eagles recognized by collectors by its spread out swept wings and beautifully crafted head that looks in a different direction than it's feathered friends. There was a discussion once that said such eagles facing right indicated its affiliation with the NSDAP party, whereas those such as this below was for unofficial purposes. This piece still has its original silver wash intact with the edges now smoothed out. Mounted onto a black hard stone base, this variant has no foundry marks.

Maybe this eagle design was a carry over from imperial times to the 3rd Reich era with the addition of the wreathed swastika but that is just a guess.

nur eagle.jpg (43.4 KB, 136 downloads)
egle3.jpg (57.11 KB, 134 downloads)
M
M
hi dean
thank you for your reply i looked over pic of your eagle wing tips now they look like they are all there sorry must be seeing things and yes these type eagles might be a few years difference of being imperial and used in the third reich when adding the swaz to them to bad they are not marked and these eagles cant talk guess we are back to square one the pictures of these outher eagles if you count the wing tips one side has four the outher has five or am i mistaken if so im sorry im seeing something different no biggie sorry i cant help any further wish i could these eagles are intresting god bless andy militarynut

D
OP Offline
D
Andy...it does appear as the wing tips are equal on each side in my judgement.
Thanks for helping out.

Here is a new eagle to add, and a home for some WWI postcards.
It has dovetail construction and fits together really well.
Although the art isn't overly spectacular I think the flame background and theme is pretty cool.
By the lid's looks, attempts were made to try to get past the lock in it's history.

P1020248.JPG (93.34 KB, 83 downloads)
M
M
hi dean
thanks for checking some times its the pictures most of the time its me an ole coot looking for tomorrow what can i say i wont forget to post a picture or two of my possibly imperial bronze sheeted eagle sitting on a bronze ball simular like yours no markings unless they are on the bottom of the ball who knows but great eagle this wood carved eagle looks great that is a lot of work involved have a great day thanks god bless andy militarynut

D
OP Offline
D
Eagle has tough to read letters on the base by talons...may be DRG or DLV??
There looks to be a small rectangular area under where either tape or inscription plate was removed.
I've seen 1 other example that was unmounted and damaged.
Info on artist,purpose,or other examples welcomed.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (40.79 KB, 43 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,513 SS Bayonets
1,760,290 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (JonathanC, Tanker, Baz69, Landser, Billy G., Documentalist, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN), 537 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod