Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
D
D
Great Odin work of art WWII.Thanks for posting it.

Reminds me of Arthur Rackham's illustrations to Wagner's The Ring of the Nibelung.
I'm also lost on the Loge/Loki reference cause I'm not seeing him anywhere, but maybe the prince of evil is being true to self and lurking in the shadows.

Alls I can say on the Human Relations art is great skill and imagination. Oh, and of course Ouch!
I'm sure many in this occupation or situation can relate, but we have to try to be nice in our so called civilized society.

And the beat goes on with a simple card, art dated 1911.
Wish there was writing under the art but none.
It does have a uncancelled 1919 stamp on back that I've never seen before though.

Seems to me some artist can make Germania look so appealing while others make her look like a dog.Guess we're back to the eye of the beholder concept.

1911.jpg (32.28 KB, 153 downloads)
D
D
1919 stamp on reverse.

1911 reverse.jpg (59.81 KB, 151 downloads)
Glorious art work shown! Many thanks for showing them.

smile "Human Relations" my eye. wink Good one Bill.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
D
D
Originally Posted By: WWII
Dean,

I meant to ask ... does your collection go on into the '33-45 period, too? If so, any particular theme or subject matter? More illustrations, I hope? Please feel free to add anything along those lines should you choose to ...

... as always, a resounding thanks! wink

Bill

Glad you asked Bill. I do collect 3rd reich but have been getting into imperial art a little more thanks to this thread.

Heres one I'd like to get translated if at all possible.
It has a really three dimensional look to it that was tough to photograph and i'm wondering if you had any idea what type of printing process was used to get this look.

The look of the print,size,symbol at the peak of the roof, and the 3 signings along the bottom added interest imo.

Thanks for looking.

2.jpg (31.34 KB, 125 downloads)
D
D
Close up

3.jpg (69.51 KB, 124 downloads)
D
D
Signing/notations

Name1.jpg (22.42 KB, 123 downloads)
Name2.jpg (14.78 KB, 123 downloads)
Name3.jpg (20.75 KB, 123 downloads)
D
D
Postmarked with correspondence on October 19th 1924.
Stained and creased but I've never seen another like it.

Plauen.jpg (35.7 KB, 103 downloads)
D
D
Liked the lightning. No date.

Bismarck.jpg (66.45 KB, 102 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

I have to hand it to you, you seem to trump your previous postings on a continual basis ... how do you do it? We'll have to chalk it up due to your impeccable taste. wink

This first image really took me out, there's just so much to take in. The style makes you pause and focus on every little detail, no matter where the eye stops it fixes, kind of mesmerizing. For me, the look is both primitive and also most modern, simple, yet extremely complex. There's so much going on there it's dizzying, mad how it pulls the eye round and round! All topped off with that wonderful eagle ... who could ask for more? wink

One of the beautiful hand-etching processes - could be engraved metal or even a stone lithograph? I think it's much too fine for a woodcut. Lots of hand-eye coordination and concentration involved in producing this plate. Whatever the technique, it certainly is a fine piece of work. This master printer certainly knew how to grave and get the fullest from his medium, the cuts seem almost random but they're well thought out in advance. I can't help but praise this artist, this one gets an A+ from me.

It says something like this ...

As long as the spruces grow
in front of manor and house ~

In lower-Saxony that's how long
the family tree shall never die out.

When you add that clever little verse to the knockout artwork, you end up with an out-of-the-park grand slam! ... heh, leastways, to my take ...

The second looks like a modern movie poster-illustration, something for a Quentin Tarantino remake of Conan the Barbarian. Great work here too!

Ahh, the nation calls back the guiding spirit - the good old days of the Iron Chancellor. Saw his sword once in Solingen, the Kaiser gave it to him just before he fired him, geez. Well, at least it was one hell of a nice sword, heh. Yes, great lighting and sense of distance in this rendering.

As always, thanks!

Bill

Ps Joe, glad you liked it! grin

Last edited by WWII; 11/17/2012 02:02 PM.
D
D
Thanks WWII. Its one of my favorites.

Wishful thinking would be to someday find out more about the piece.But time seems to erase as fast as we learn imo.
Wonder where something like this hung.

Maybe the artist including the rising sun had to do with 1938 Germany once again having hope and pride in becoming a dominate force in the world after enduring bad times.Your translation seems to support that notion.

Not too sure what that familiar symbol at the roofs peak is but a seller on ebay has a item that has a resemblance.
He/she describes as odin's wolves.(Including a pic for comparison).

Shame the photography does the print no justice as far as depth, it almost appears like the print was done and reverse painted glass is on top with additional art. I thought about trying to remove the glass to check it out but don't want to risk destroying the thing.

Thanks again for your comments Bill.

Odins wolves.jpg (26.16 KB, 88 downloads)
This topic is going on and on, and it must be the best in here!!! Nice .. Interesting cards, and other things, even wood ornaments!! I love the "Solange noch die Eichen wachsen" art, and Deutsche Tagen cards are always interesting, those days link to the time before Hitler got political active. Here a simple card from me to say thanks to you guys ...

An Engeland. In Erinnerung an die Mordtaten des "Baralong".
To England. In memory of the "Baralong "murders. Nice postcard but also very grim.

The Baralong was a Q-boat, or, a decoy-ship. That means, a merchant-boat with hidden weapons, the Baralong was equipped to destroy submarines. This card is about the Baralong incident, or better the first scandal the Baralong caused during WWI.

In 1915, the German submarine U-27 attacked a US passenger ship, called Nicosian. Nicosian put out an SOS signal, and the British Baralong responded. Baralong used a neutral US civilian merchant flag to aproach Nicosian, and used Nicosian as a cover to hide their weapons away from the sight of U-27. The German submarine had stopped the attack when they saw the Nicosian was civilian, and waited, and emerged from the water, when they thought Baralong wanted to rescue the shipwrecked Nicosian-crew. When the Baralong came from behind the Nicosian, it opened fire on the defenceless submarine, and sunk it.

The Baralong rescued the Nicosian-crew, but the German submarine-crew swam to the burning Nicosian instead because they didnt trust the Baralong, that shot at them out of nowhere. Baralong opened fire on the German crew that jumped from the sinking submarine, and shot German crew-members in the water. The Baralong even sent a patrol to the Nicosian and hunted the Germans on that ship. All Germans got killed. Ofcourse Germany saw that as murder. A gruesome exemple of how cruel war is.

The German eagle, carrying the German Kriegsmarine flag .. In the background, you probably not see the Baralong or U-27, but the Nicosian. The submarine was the U-27, and that was the first submarine that sank another submarine during WWI. After WWI, Baralong was sold to Japan.

Read a good article about the Baralong here and here.

The card was send on july 28, 1916, it has a II. Erlaß Seebataillon stamp, but Id need to go thru things like this to tell anything about it, also I didnt take time to try solve what the handwriting says at the back, so nevermind that.

Bye!

Last edited by Krullies; 11/20/2012 02:11 PM.

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

I agree, better not fiddle with it, it'd be a shame to harm such a great piece. The roof decoration looks like the crest of Hannover, a pair of interlocked horse-heads. That wooden examples a beauty - things like this look fantastic when tucked into almost any German military collection. The carving stands on its own merit, great lines to it. wink

KR,

As always, good to see you here and glad that you've been enjoying the thread too. Thanks to Dean's outstanding collection of artwork and the history behind many of these images, it's made this thread an ongoing pleasure. I'm of the mind that small nuances can be very helpful putting history into proper context and perspective. Once you know the story behind some of the illustrations, it makes the steak that much sweeter, yum ..! grin

The card you just posted should prove my point. If we look at the painting we see it's technically very good, nice strong colors, a super-looking eagle with a German flag and a wee tiny ship, there on the horizon ... But once you told us the "behind-the-scenes" story, we then view that impression in an entirely different way. It can change our reaction from a ho-hum, "oh yes, how nice .." to a jaw-dropping visual experience and profound understanding.

I remember my grandfather and great-uncles talking first-hand about world events and the titanic battles and struggles during the two wars, so I grew up hearing the German side of the story. When things directly related to what I heard them talking about are brought to life in so many great styles by artists, that "old German postcard," takes on a whole new dynamic for me. One of those stories I remember hearing was exactly this one, one of several U-Boot incidents. After this happened a couple of times the German boat commanders said screw this, no more helping survivors on the surface ... we're outta here, adios and goodbye!

Thanks everybody ...

Best!

B~

D
D
Nice card and topic Krullies, and as always, well presented with a write up and facts. Thanks. I have to ask how do you get your images to show up so large? It looks great.

I think its the best when first hand accounts/knowledge of history can be passed on..thanks for that Bill. You are so lucky to have family that told you like it was without there having a need to be politically correct or worrying about judgement.

Heres a 1916 field posted card sent from a infantry reserve division.

noch.jpg (47.58 KB, 161 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Nice patriotic card that reads, "Germany will never be overcome if it is united."

Found this interesting card, "Deutsche Wehr," which can be translated to, German defense, or, the German weapon. The card depicts a sculpture of a German knight on horseback by one of my favorite artists, Bildhauer Albert Hinrich Hussmann. I believe there are a couple more examples of his work listed in the Imperial Allach thread, if anyone would care to see more of his excellent sculptures.

Thanks everyone and good collecting!

Bill

Hussmannsm.jpg (36.67 KB, 132 downloads)
WWII #274944 12/03/2012 09:26 PM
D
D
One sweet sculpture Bill. Thanks for posting it.
Did this artist do metal and porcelain works?
I love it when european art gets thrown back to mid evil times to try bring out reflections of heritage and patriotism.
Centuries go by, technology improves, but reasons for battle seem to stay pretty much the same imo.

Another image to add and posting the back's correpondence to maybe get input on the date 18/???/1914 (if it pertains to WWI).

IMG_1833.JPG (86.97 KB, 120 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 12/03/2012 09:40 PM.
Dean Perdue #274945 12/03/2012 09:30 PM
D
D
Dated correspondence.

IMG_1834.JPG (57.67 KB, 141 downloads)
Dean Perdue #274999 12/04/2012 12:37 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Old Sir Edward Grey ~

"O Grey, I wish with my spirit,
we had you in a Zeppelin,
to let you fall with terrific din
in a bomb on London."

There are some who blame Edward for his non-aggression pacts with France and Russia. They said this was what got England enmeshed and also caused Germany to enter World War One, on count of his secretive dealings.

Sorry I can't help with the handwritten part, maybe one of the other boys can?

Another fine card. wink

Bill

WWII #275000 12/04/2012 02:03 PM
D
D
Old Sir Edward Grey ~
Sorry I can't help with the handwritten part, maybe one of the other boys can?

Bill-

Your id on this guy gave me the answer I was after. The purpose for showing back was the month in the written date.
It looked like July to me and brought the question about why a pre WW1 card would show the bombing of England.

I looked up Sir Edward on Wikpedia and found how it may relate:

'July Crisis 1914

In 1914, Grey played a key role in the July Crisis leading to the outbreak of World War I. His attempts to mediate the dispute between Austria-Hungary and Serbia by a "Stop in Belgrade" came to nothing, owing to the tepid German response. He also failed to clearly communicate to Germany that a breach of the treaty not merely to respect but also to protect the neutrality of Belgium — of which both Britain and Germany were signatories — would cause Britain to declare war against Germany. When he finally did make such communication, German forces were already massed at the Belgian border, and Helmuth von Moltke convinced Kaiser Wilhelm II it was too late to change the plan of attack. On 3 August, Germany declared war on France and broke the treaty by invading Belgium.'

Thanks for the sheding some light on a question.

Dean Perdue #275076 12/05/2012 10:09 PM
D
D
Unposted card from Siegburg Germany.

IMG_1836.JPG (51.96 KB, 107 downloads)
Dean Perdue #275115 12/06/2012 12:44 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Once again we find our old femme-fatal Germania leading the nation's Wehrmacht into victorious, bloody combat against the enemy. She certainly had a busy schedule during the First World War, posing for so many illustrations. Funny how seldom the Nazi's called on her to lead the charge during their rise and time in office, or am I only imagining that? Maybe she lost influence with the browns due to the loss of the war and her close relationship and association with the Kaiser?

Any ideas on that?

On that note, here's a fine engraved mugshot of her boss, a young Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Best!

B~

kaiserwillipost.jpg (115.47 KB, 93 downloads)
WWII #275117 12/06/2012 01:19 PM
NICE card Dean!!!! And super explanation William!!! Thanks .. Germania, was (made) symbol of the birth of the German Empire, so that means the 2nd empire. The 3rd one, rejected all higher social classes that made the 2nd empire, so the 3rd empire rejected also the symbols of the 2nd empire (Reich). Maybe Germania wasnt rejected so much, but symbol to the 3rd Reich, was ofcourse only one person with god features; the leader (Führer), nothing else. Germania still was part of the Völkische things, and sometimes pplayed a big part in Thingspiele (theater plays that focussed on the cultural background of the 3rd Reich), but I wont get all lengthy about theater and culture and all that.

WWII #275141 12/06/2012 04:46 PM
D
D
Dean,
Funny how seldom the Nazi's called on her to lead the charge during their rise and time in office, or am I only imagining that?
B~

Wow that's a super interesting point Bill. Great thinking.
Hopefully more can be found to link her with the 3rd Reich but both you and Krullies have a excellent valid points. Great stuff that I would like to check into. Thanks to both of you for this.

Dean Perdue #275148 12/06/2012 07:19 PM
Hi Dean!! Well, then, let me add to the discusion, that Albert Speer planned to name Berlin (after the reconstructon) after Germania .. Hitler said about this (in his Wolfsschanze) "Berlin wird als Welthauptstadt nur mit dem alten Ägypten, Babylon oder Rom vergleichbar sein! Was ist London, was ist Paris dagegen". Or, only Egypt, Babylon or Rome can compare to Berlin, Paris or London mean nothing compared to it. You can find this in the book "Monologe im Führerhauptquartier". She still had a part in the Reich, symbol for strong unity, but not the lead, that was the Führer. I think I know a book that has a model of the new Berlin designed by Albert Speer in it, I''l try to look it up O K?

WWII #275286 12/09/2012 03:28 AM
D
D

On that note, here's a fine engraved mugshot of her boss, a young Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Fantastic looking engraving WWII. So good it almost resembles a photograph. Thank you for posting it.

I think he also appears in this Wittenburg field posted card dated 9/29/1914.

IMG_1842.JPG (74.75 KB, 199 downloads)
Dean Perdue #275398 12/11/2012 03:57 AM
D
D
1914 Kriegs Karte

IMG_1844.JPG (107 KB, 167 downloads)
Dean Perdue #275405 12/11/2012 11:16 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

All the old warriors
and all the king's men,
couldn't put Germany
back together again.

Naturally, that's not what it says, but it made me think of that ... the Zeppelin is really fantastic, sort of a Jules Verne/George Orwell, hybrid-combination. Neat illustration!

Mars, The Bringer of War ... the old Roman god always puts me in mind of Gustav Holst's, "The Planets." The score for "Mars" is very powerful and stirring, proper entrance-fanfare for the mighty God of War. It says that Thoma's art was among the best (most likely donated) chosen for the National Charity fund.

Thanks good sir!

Bill

WWII #275452 12/12/2012 10:08 AM
Nice Dean!!! And always the amazing explanation of William ... "Zum Besten der Nationalstuftung", or complete "Zum Besten der Nationalstiftung für die Hinterbliebenen der im Kriege Gefallenen". In english, for the good of the National Foundation of bereaved relatives of the fallen. Hans Thoma, German artist, and Mars is a painting, with amazing colors!!! Very nice card!!!

Krullies #275466 12/12/2012 05:23 PM
D
D
Thanks for the input Bill & Krullies.

Its great to the painted version. The colors really make the flames come to life.

Cool seeing the differences in the two.
Makes me wonder why... to show the artist had skills in both areas, or maybe to be chosen there was a requirement the art had to be a engraving.
Also was curious if the broken battle axes handles on the art's border signified anything.

Welp, heres another.
Posted from Baden on 12/13/1916. Corespondence from todays date exactly 96 years ago.
If anyone has some extra time to summarize the wording, if it's anything interesting, that would be great.

IMG_1853.JPG (118.52 KB, 132 downloads)
Dean Perdue #275519 12/13/2012 12:45 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Karin,

Enjoyed seeing the color version too, thanks for finding and adding that. wink

I think most of us would prefer the original painted example to the black and white, but unfortunately that probably cost too much to reproduce in that fashion. A conversion to black and white was a less-expensive printing method. Considering this card was for charity, there's a good possibility that they tried to keep expenses as low as possible?

I like the fact that Thoma himself most likely added the border illustration, it certainly looks like a continuation of his hand. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have let another artist fiddle with his original artwork? Such a transgression would have been an insult. To me the broken/curled halbred shafts don't represent anything specifically, I think it's just a clever Art Nouveau style for fitting the entire length. Great crown there, too.

The Baden-marked card is really neat and the saying is fabulous, a colorful summation of the time, from the German standpoint. I'd like to leave the translation to someone else this time, don't want to be too big of a hog ... grin

Thanks everyone!

B~

WWII #276013 12/21/2012 07:31 PM
D
D
Death card produced in Wien addressed to Berlin.
Appears someone added glasses in pen to the hicker. Weird card I thought.

IMG_1861.JPG (122.03 KB, 94 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276078 12/23/2012 11:42 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Yes, very unusual, another card that I've never seen before. The skeleton wearing the alpine hat looks quite pleased with his work, almost as if he's pushed the victim off the cliff himself?

The printed title reads, "Fallen," and the writing says, "One speaks unbelievingly of his death ... Schiller Tho(?)" .. Thomas(?)

The old hiker should've had one of those "life-alert" thingies, you know, like on TV. "Help, I fallen and I can't get up..!" grin cool

Thanks D.

Best!

B~

WWII #276190 12/25/2012 06:33 PM
D
D
Many thanks for taking your time to comment on the card Bill. As always, informative and interesting.

This one got posted to Bamberg Germany.

IMG_1864.JPG (113.48 KB, 208 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276276 12/28/2012 10:37 PM
D
D
Berchtesgaden feldpost on Aug.11,1917 and addressed to Nurnbeg.

IMG_1877.JPG (107.17 KB, 197 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276374 01/01/2013 12:51 AM
D
D
2 unmarked cards.

IMG_1880.JPG (85.42 KB, 182 downloads)
IMG_1879.JPG (104.81 KB, 182 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276484 01/03/2013 06:40 PM
D
D
Dated 10-25-1914
Some of the nicest penmanship I have ever seen on the reverse.

IMG_1883.JPG (87.53 KB, 166 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276705 01/08/2013 08:05 PM
D
D
Austrian artist Erich Lamm. Posted to Villach in 1917

IMG_1886.JPG (103.01 KB, 142 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276708 01/08/2013 08:20 PM
D
D
Hanfstaengl's Kunstlerkarte by german atist Hermann Fenner-Behmer (1866 – 1913). Very similar to Lamm's style imo.

Wonder if the art publisher was the father of Putzi Hanfstaengl, writer of Hitler the missing years.
Great read imo from a source close to Hitler.

IMG_1884.JPG (104.25 KB, 140 downloads)
Dean Perdue #276713 01/08/2013 10:56 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

You've been as busy as a beaver here, always the creme de la creme of images and German verse. I truly wish I had more time to comment and translate but have been fairly busy lately.

Just want to let you know your efforts are always appreciated and never overlooked. You have the proper, undaunted spirit of a true collector, and we salute you good sir! wink

Just a moment before seeing this latest addition I was talking to close friend about Putzi Hanfstaengl, the brilliant "Harvard-man," and Hitler's early confidant. A superbly interesting character in NS history. kismet..? grin

Best wishes from Philadelphia!

B~

WWII #276719 01/08/2013 11:56 PM
D
D

Just a moment before seeing this latest addition I was talking to close friend about Putzi Hanfstaengl, the brilliant "Harvard-man," and Hitler's early confidant. A superbly interesting character in NS history. kismet..? grin

B~

Yep, for sure.
The story that stands out in my mind is him being convinced he was to be thrown off a flying aircraft into enemy territory courtesy of his pals Hitler,Goebbels, and probably Goring.
Guess I can't blame him for wanting out after this 'practical joke'.

Dean Perdue #276941 01/15/2013 11:11 PM
D
D
Posted 7/3/1915

IMG_1887.JPG (92.32 KB, 103 downloads)
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,483 SS Bayonets
1,760,279 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,757 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jonesy, Seppi, Documentalist, Vern, Paul, benten, AntonGrabbe), 424 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod