Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#243113 04/13/2011 06:57 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello all-

I used to be really interested in Totenkopfring der SS, but gave up on ever actually owning one due to the typical price of a piece. So being a wrist watch enthusiast, I started looking at WWII era watches, from all nations. They're much more affordable and are fun to wear. I've since been collecting and restoring US and German WWII watches as a hobby. They usually sell for under $200.00 or so depending on brand and watch type (basic field, chronograph, etc.). I'd like to collect British watches, but they're usually the most expensive to buy at typically $500.00+ for a WWW.

I find it interesting that on the militaria collecting sites that I've visited, many WWII German collectors are either not interested in, or are not aware of German WWII watches. Personally, I think issued watches are one of the coolest militaria pieces that one can find from this era; a piece of history worn on the wrist of a fighting soldier.

One can usually find German issued specimens on Ebay for under $200.00. But as with most German militaria, stay away from Ukranian sales.

Here's a few sites to check out if you're interested. Happy hunting!!

D/DH/DU watches
German Military Watch Forum
German WWII watch intro/info
Military Watch Resource forum

Did the Germans wear Omega watches during the war? I know the British did.

L
OP Offline
L
No, Omega did not contract with Germany for watches. You will see them on Ebay, but they are fakes, usually from the Ukraine.

But you're right, they did make watches for the British, and even a few rare models for the US and Canada. Here's the British WWW counterpart to the German database: British WWW watches

If you click on this link: D/DH/DU Watches , you'll find an almost complete list of the German 'field' watch manufacturers, and photos. This list is not complete as there are a few brands missing, but this will give you a good idea of which brands to look for.

Original watches in working, wearable condition usually sell for around $300.00 or less. Good luck!

Edit: I should add that the Swiss, in true neutral Swiss fashion, manufactrued watches for both sides of the war. There were some companies like Glycine and Grana that made what was essentially the same watch for both the Germans and the British.

There were also companies like Gerard-Perregaux and Oris that used subsidiary companies such as Mimo and Fides-Geneve, respectively, to manufacture watches for the Germans. This was, presumably, because they did not want their company name associated with the 'NAZI's', yet still wanted to make money during the war.

Girard-Perregaux actually ordered all the German contract Mimo watches that they could recover from Germany to be destroyed after the war, thus creating a very rare watch to find.

-Kevin

Last edited by lazygoblin; 04/14/2011 04:06 PM.
S
S
Hello Lazygoblin...I have what I believe a original Swiss made watch for the Heer,it is made by Mentor and says on the face "17 Jewels water proof Swiss Made". on the back it has "D 3647 H" which is the Heer Property mark..(my guess) The only thing i'm not sure if its original, is the band...it is green cloth with a SS buckle...if it's not original someone sure went through alot of trouble making it...I'll try to take a photo of it if you like. I checked the list you linked to above,it does not list Mentor?

Regards
Sepp

L
OP Offline
L
Hi Sepp-

Mentor is a company that was around at that time, so it's highly possible that they contracted with Germany for watches. Its not a very well known brand and it would be interesting to see. I can't seem to find much info about them.

The movement should be an AS1130 (Anton Schild 1130; AS is a manufacturer of watch movements) and may be stamped 'AS1130' on the bridge plate. But if it's not, no big deal. Some companies used their own mvmts. Please post some pics (dial, back, movement).
Don't worry about the strap. There are lifetime collectors that have yet to see an original strap, so a well made replacement in the same style is totally acceptable.

It sounds very likely that, if legit, it could be a very early issue watch. The serial numbers for standard 'field' watches went into the 6 figures towards the end of the war (500k+), and yours has a 4 digit number. wink

Also of interest is that German made watches will not have a D/DH/DU coding. That coding was used only by the Swiss manufacturers, so German manufactured brands like Stowa, Laco, Wempe, etc. do not have this designation in the serial number.

Another tidbit; the rarer D-U designated watches had no serial number at all. There is no surviving paperwork to support this, but the collector thinking is that these were watches that were given to civilian support and political personnel, most likely pre-war since the cases were typically stainless of higher quality than the standard soldier issued field watch.

-Kevin

Last edited by lazygoblin; 04/15/2011 05:18 AM.
Interesting. All round face? No square or rectangle face watches?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
L
OP Offline
L
Hi Joe-

Yes, all the watches were round case/dial. There were no issued square/rectangle watches, though some sellers on Ebay would love to sell you one. There were definitely a lot of PP rectangle type watches in use at the time, but these were not issued watches.

Watches are like any other field/personal gear item; some were issued, some were private purchase. The issued one's are easier to identify because they were mil-spec and had serial numbers and property stamping.

But proving that a privately purchased watch was actually worn/used in the field is difficult, just like with PP knives, daggers, rings, etc.

-Kevin

L
OP Offline
L
I thought I'd post some links for Ebay sales of originals if anyone's interested in purchasing one of these:

Revue DH
Glycine DH
Zentra Kriegsmarine (rare)

J
J
Lazygoblin, nice thread. I own 2 german watches. paid roughly $90.00 each. one runs ,other does not. I got them from a local collector / reenactor. I did my on line research , which was Not much. the ones by watch sellers are way over priced.
& I do find it real funny that the swiss sold these to almost every one during the war. money is money i guess. same thing Henry Ford did.
if you can , would you mind posting any photos , so german collector HERE will know what type of markings to look for ?
thanks for shinning light on the topic. jeff h.

S
S
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased this watch on eBay from a Polish seller who says he acquired it at an antique market.

I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this type of watch?

I realise that the watch is not military issue, but it has certainly seen a lot of wear, and seems a little strange for a civilian timepiece?

I must apologise for my ignorance; I simply bought the watch because I liked it (rather than for any collecting purposes), and would just be interested in finding out some more information about it.
Any and all replies appreciated, many thanks for your time!

Online Content
The watch is no doubt old, but I think those two deaths head decals are questionable.

G
G
the watch with totenkopfs are a fantasy piece [4th reich]. They are seen in many Polish 'gift' shops and bazaars..........

S
S
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it!

G
G
I realize this an old thread. I have two of these watches with SS Lightning Bolts within a shield on them. The Sellers sold them at an online auction as authentic WWII. There is also a Seller in the UK selling variations of this watch Face design as authentic WWII. He has positive feedback on those he has sold.

If there is any reference material on these watches I would appreciate a Heads Up on it.

Online Content
Sorry for what is bad news:

The chances are 99% that the SS inscriptions are fake. Maybe the watches too. Unfortunately, good WWII era watches are being ruined by these bogus inscriptions.

M
M
Chances are 100%, not 99% Dave.
Hello Gary, this online auction you bought these on have any connection to either Proxi-Bid or Live Auctioneers auctions?

M
M
hi gary
hope this e mail finds you doing well . i have to agree a high percentage of ss marked wrist or pocket watches are inscribed with lightning bolts runes some with liebstandrt ss adolf hitler and skulls etc . in my over fifty years in this hobby i have seen two watches third reich made popular jeweler marked and in my honest opinion they were period made and period inscribed now seeing a picture of what you have will tell the whole story good or real third reich period made hey what do you have to loose you might have hit a home run with the bases loaded please remember this it isnt over till the fat lady sings . thanks merry christmas to our soldiers serving accross the globe may the good lord protect them allways andy militarynut

M
M

Hi everybody,

Congrats for this foro,im just find it out.

Im a collector of watches of wwii

Maybe you can help me with this watch,to have some info or to know something about the origin or smthing

Many thanks
image1.JPG

image2.PNG

M
M
hi makua 123
thank you for your post on your ww2 watch perhaps you can post some pictures for us of your ww2 watch its possible us guys might be able to help id it as mentioned above there are so many wrist and pocket watches that people claim to be real period watches only to find out later they are bogus like dave mentioned the inner works of the watch might be original but the dial has these ss lightning bolts and skulls added to the dial they some times ruin a great original ww2 watch. there is such a big buisness makeing third reich looking kreigsmarine clocks pocket watches cameras all made in france and poland every day its discusting but bottom line here is make sure you do your home work before buying any of this made up junk especially if the price is cheap that tells me hey the red flag is up best not buy this thanks looking foward to your pictures god bless andy militarynut

M
M
[img:center]http://[/img]

image1.JPG (142.56 KB, 117 downloads)
image2.PNG (137.89 KB, 116 downloads)
M
M
Hi militarynut and thanks for your fast response.

Here are the photos, if need more just tell me. Theres no branch inside or outside.

i will post 2 more kriegsmarine watches for your opinion laugh

Thanks

M
M
Here is one

IMG_5335.PNG (52.27 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_5336.PNG (43.76 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_5337.PNG (44.47 KB, 164 downloads)
M
M
and the other for uboot

many thanks

IMG_5339.PNG (40.83 KB, 163 downloads)
IMG_5338.PNG (52.18 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_5340.PNG (45.64 KB, 163 downloads)
IMG_5341.PNG (34.72 KB, 163 downloads)
M
M
hi makua
thanks for these pictures of your watches they are really not that clear to see any markings at all in order for me or any one else we have to see a close up of the iner workings to see how many jewels to run the watch also the inside cover to read the maker marks or silver content marksin order to make a good honestjudgement call thanks very much andy militarynut

M
M
hi makua 123
good afternoon to you was wondering after last post you said if we need more pictures of your watches you would send them hope you can send them soon god bless andy militarynut

M
M
hi makua
you posted pictures of your german watches for opinions guess you dont need any ones opinions sorry i answered your post for help have a nice day anyway andy militarynut

M
M
Watches shown are complete fantasy nonsense

M
M
Total crud

M
M
hi mark
thanks for your honest opinion the word you used crud is mild compared to what i wiould have used i have collected pocket watches for over 45 years so i believe i have a good feel as to what a real period third reich watch or kreigs clocks should look like quality not quanity most come from poland/france and outher countrys when they first produced these watches they used real gut parts with a fancy ss /kreigs porcelain dial nice looking but not period made doubt if we will hear any thing from the poster any more thanks god bless andy militarynut

M
M
I used CRUD as I was told to keep the harsh bitter truth posts mild!!( when it came to dissing someones POS fakes/fantany items,lol

M
M
hi mark
yes we have to curb our tongue when talking about some ones fourth reich treasures . what gets me is people ask our opinion on thier so called third reich items then they go back in thier holes never to return for the whole truth guess what its his loss no biggie just saved me so typing have a great day andy militarynut

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,459 SS Bayonets
1,760,274 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,731 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Mikee, Documentalist, Baz69, Stephen, Honestmike, Mbuin, Evgeniy, AndyRose), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod