Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I agree Bill. Great post. Searching and finding good and average daggers is one thing. Finding the exceptional rare dagger is another; especially if it is in mint condition. Do collectors find those types of blades? Sure, but maybe once in a lifetime and at a good (whoever owns it does not know the value) price. I can agree with most dealers wanting to get a great price for their find,investment, whatever you want to label it. Just put yourself in the situation you find a minty SS dagger after all these years, buy it for $800. Would you sell it to me for double? Even triple? I didn't think so. And it has nothing to do with collecting because you like the hobby or do it as a long term investment. Most can agree that you want whats fair to both yourself and the buyer. Thus, dealers asking for a certain amount is to me understood. They might just sit on them....forever. I like minty blades....most can only be found with the dealers. I don't think I could go up to a dealer and say "Your SS dagger is great, but I want you to give me a deal or I will go buy somewhere else". Answer...Go ahead, best of luck to you finding one in this condition. For me, the fun is in the hunt. You just never know what that next estate or yard sale will produce.

R
RFI Offline
R
I know we are having economic problems around the world these days and it has affected the hobby to some degree.
From my experience as a dealer I have made a few observations. One, I have always tried to be cheaper then most other dealers for the same items. There exceptions for many reasons on occasion but in general, I want to be as reasonably priced as possible.
Most dealers are down in sales and do not update their sites too often anymore. Depending on how busy in life I am, I am busy of this also. When I have time, as I have made a point to do lately, Sales are reasonable. I have noticed that known, dependable dealers still sell "stuff". Unknown and less dependable guys have a real hard time selling "stuff" these days. I have heard many people buying from members of different forums getting "burnt". This happens more now then ever before I am sure do to economic conditions.
I have my hand in several other hobbies as well. Many of them are near dead! Militaria is hanging on much better and I am sure will continue to survive! Changing yes, but dead tot he world no!
Best Wishes,
Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,574 SS Bayonets
1,764,579 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,487 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 04:22 PM
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Luftbud - 05/11/2024 11:45 PM
Iron Crosses!
by Luftbud - 05/11/2024 11:35 PM
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by Vern - 05/11/2024 03:42 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:23 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:15 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,674
Posts329,188
Members7,530
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dean Perdue, polop, Jonesy), 541 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod