Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
Online Content
Dean,

It could be, I looked as well but couldn't find that print.

Just a little addition to Bill's outstanding explanation, translation and insight. I think there might be a little more intriguing stuff to a few of your post cards.

The postcard of the unclothed lad riding a mystical dragon, I believe was used to represent the (DJK) Deutscher Jugendkraft or German "Youth Power", and their involvement in either their own competitions and or possibly their involvement in protest during the time when Germany and it's allies were excluded from the Olympic community. In short, the DJK was a faith based Catholic sponsored youth sports organization founded in 1920 in Wurzburg which stayed active until 1933 and then banned. During this time it's members were persecuted and the organizations leader in 1934 Adalbert Probst was arrested and shot by the Gestapo. Hermann Graf, Knights cross of the Iron cross with Oak leaves,Swords and Diamonds was a member in his youth.

The unclothed lad represents,"the power/strength and beauty of youth", the dragon represents, "strength, power, and as stated wars wild fury". Dragon could also be the name of the club or possibly an event. The torch represents, "the warrior will light and lead the way to victory", or the torch was portrayed in this way "maybe" in protest from exclusion in the Olympics.

In 1916 the summer Olympics was awarded to the city of Berlin but cancelled due to WWI and during this time they were virtually banished from the Olympic Committee, so in protest in 1917, Germany founded their own, the Deutscher Reichsausschuss für Olympische Spiele,(German Imperial Commission for Olympic games), but within a short time renamed it the Deutcher Reichsausschuss fur Leibesubungen (German Imperial Commission for Physical Exercise).

During the 1920 and 1924 Olympic games Germany was as well excluded. So Germany organized it's own games, the Deutsche Kampfspiele (German fighting/battle games).

Thanks

D
D
Thanks for the great interpreation and facts Mikee.Interesting.

'Germania es kommt dein tag' is titled on the reverse of this card.

Herrmann.jpg (28.26 KB, 292 downloads)
D
D
Card 'Deutsch Meister' An Der Quelle.
Amazon warrior maybe?

amazon.jpg (38.21 KB, 225 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 02/21/2012 10:13 PM.
D
D
I liked how the artist had the horse trampling the flag on this card.

Kaiser.jpg (32.37 KB, 225 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

As per your usual, great stuff here.

To me, the first postcard illustration might be interpreted in a couple of different ways. "An der Quelle," or "At the Spring," depicts a nude female warrior and her trusty steed refreshing themselves at a natural cold-spring. No doubt they've been out keeping an eye on Germany's bitter enemies? At first glance I agree that she is most likely an Amazon, or auf deutsch, Amazone, with an 'e' at the end. If there was a spear visible in the painting, she might even be a Valkyrie, but I don't think so in this case. Germania in a toned-down, less flashy battle garb? hmm.. nein. The title, "Deutsch Meister," can be explained to mean "German Champion," and that fits pretty well here so I'll leave it at that.

"Well/so, we're about to give them a (good)-beating!" Lot's of vibrant action in this bold graphic, Feldherr-baton in hand, Kaiser Wilhelm leads his entire retinue and national war-train to do battle against the French. It's amazing how much information and fine detail the artist got into this small package. Whatever the exact printing technique was, they did a fine job scaling, prepping and reproducing the artwork. Holding all those tones open and keeping sharp details isn't always a walk in the park. A fine rendering of this ultra-nationalistic theme.

Thanks for posting these two excellent additions from your collection. wink

Best!

B~

Wow .. Supernice cards and supernice explanations!!! Thanks William, Dean and Mikee

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
D
D
Good hearing from you WWII & Krullies.

Here's one from Wein that may be the same theme as the 1918 'Andreas Hoferbund fur Tirol' art that was posted a few pages back on 1/6/2012.

This card also has the Student League/German School Association symbol printed on the back (recently explained in Bill's excellent write up).

Any opinions/lessons on the history the artist is trying to get across would be appreciated.Thanks

Sud Tirol.jpg (50.24 KB, 169 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 02/28/2012 10:16 PM.
D
D
Found what I think to be the answer to my own question about the Tirol cards via wikpedia:

'The Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye of 1919 ruled that, according to the Treaty of London, the southern part of Tyrol had to be ceded to the Kingdom of Italy. Italy's border was pushed northward to the strategically important Alpine water divide, including present day-South Tyrol with its large German-speaking majority. The northern part of Tyrol was retained by the First Austrian Republic.'

Looks like the dark haired Italian's foot breaking the back of the blonde haired chained and powerless German who had his country yanked out from him felt betrayed in a way.

At least thats my perception from what I can find out.

Online Content
Dean,

I agree that's what your card is about,Italion occupation and I believe another one of your cards sometime back hinted to the same thing or something similar, I just didn't have the time to respond. Thanks.

D
D
Thanks for the reply and input Mikee.Hope you've been busy having fun in life.

Germania looking pissed off on this postcard.I'm thinking its by the same artist that did the art posted 2 cards up.

Rhein.jpg (29.82 KB, 110 downloads)
Online Content
Yes in deed,ready to do battle! Great post cards!

D
D
Thanks Mikee.
I have a few new bookplates to post.

A front and back of a 1927 exlibris by artist Otto Hans Beier.

Hans.jpg (29.14 KB, 215 downloads)
Munchen.jpg (31.66 KB, 215 downloads)
D
D
A huge (quarter for scale) 1920's exlibris from artist Walter Clemens Schmidt.

Super cool paper that seems like cloth like.When its held to light you can see where the threads of the book's binding held this page in place.

Das Wort.jpg (37.9 KB, 214 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 03/06/2012 03:44 AM.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Have you ever considered doing an exhibit of your art collection at one of the shows like the MAX, or the SOS? No doubt it would be well received. To the best of my knowledge I can't recall having ever seen a presentation of German graphic art at one of the big collector events.. mostly weapons. Personally, I feel it'd be a big success, you have so many great images to share, no kidding.

If one enjoys the political/military graphics it seems natural that that person would enjoy the artwork found on these lovely bookplates. The subject-matter, themes and topics that are depicted are so diverse, they certainly present a wide selection of single, and sometimes multi-color, printing techniques.

The two 'ex libris' plates that you've posted are both printed on high-quality cover stock. This was handmade and specially prepared for various types of 'art printing.' Those ornate borders of the stock are what's known as 'deckle-edges,' each having a subtle beauty of their own. Another interesting fact about these bookplates is that the processes used to print 'most' of these images is that each one was printed individually in short, limited runs by hand-operated presses - not printed in the thousands on more automated systems.

Each time the original plate (stone, metal or woodcut) had to be precisely coated with ink and perfectly, evenly transferred to whatever stock was chosen, faithfully preserving all of the details the artist intended for us to see. That first engraving has a much finer intaglio-look to the artwork, holding much detail, whereas the second has that bold, positive-negative feel of a woodcut to me. Both are brilliant, well executed prints. One of the best monsters I've seen in a long while on that second plate, scarey little bugger.

The leitmotif throughout many of the library plates is that of bringing pox and curses down, "on whosoever fails to return this book!" Simple and right to the point, heh. I've had a couple more bookplate images stashed away that I thought you might like, too?

Thanks to one and all for your continuing interest.

Best!

Bill

graphic1wotan.jpg (62.48 KB, 171 downloads)
graphic3klee.jpg (49.25 KB, 172 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
2/3

graphic6bookplate2.jpg (114.63 KB, 170 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
3/3

graphic5bookplate.jpg (76.94 KB, 169 downloads)
D
D
Very nice bookplates Bill.

My favorite is the crow example.I remember Odal mentioning a crow he used to have as a childhood pet and how smart it was.These birds are so cool and mythical with their mannerisms,looks,and sounds.

That cannibalism exlibris is definately bizarre with books being used to fuel the soup's fire and the two demons rising from the smoke and steam with funnels on their heads as the satanic figures look in their glory spurring on the evil.

It's interesting how so many of these really cool bookplates belonged to doctors.
Maybe because they had the money to afford these extra luxuries or maybe it was how they saw life through different eyes due to dealing with life and death on a daily basis.

Thanks for posting these beautiful plates and also the kind words of encouragement on my modest,low budget collection.

Adding to the thread, I'm adding another student league card posted in 1919.
Including the student league marking on back because of your recent post.

1916 card.jpg (56.92 KB, 153 downloads)
Mark.jpg (32.68 KB, 154 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 03/08/2012 07:41 PM.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

To me it seems we're looking at Wotan in his full glory as the Norse god-of-war, berserker par excellance rises from the mists of battle, ready to wade through rivers of blood to protect Germany and all her children.

I'd really love to own this original ... can you imagine it at about four to five feet long? .. it really packs a good punch, like listening to a dynamic Wagner composition.

The style reminds me of the Howard Pyle school of artists and especially N.C. Wyeth's beautiful storey-book illustrations. The exact measure of realism and impressionism to give the viewer the uncanny feeling of actually being in the painting as an observer, part of the dream-like moment.

Definitely a keeper !!!

B~

D
D
1908 card titled Nebel posted in Hamburg addressed to Braunau.
I thought it had a Night Gallery look.

Nebel.jpg (48.28 KB, 126 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 03/13/2012 09:29 PM.
D
D
Back and front of a note with 1921 date.

75 back.jpg (67.76 KB, 125 downloads)
75 front.jpg (68.35 KB, 119 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 03/13/2012 09:28 PM.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Rod Serling's Night Gallery is a good call, it has that same spooky, fog-shrouded quality. Possibly the Rhine Maidens casting their nets about for the unwary sailors, dead-ahead? The tone and feeling also remind me of Goethe's Faust, on Walpurgis Eve.

The note is an original beauty from Oberammergau's historic Passion Play...

The town's residents vowed that if God spared them from the effects of the bubonic plague ravaging the region, they would produce a play every ten years thereafter for all time depicting the life and death of Jesus. The death rate among adults rose from one in October 1632 to twenty in the month of March 1633. The adult death rate slowly subsided to one in the month of July 1633. The villagers believed they were spared after they kept their part of the vow when the play was first performed in 1634.

Nazi exploitation of the 1934 jubilee season...

The special jubilee season of the Oberammergau Passion Play in 1934, marking the 300-year anniversary of the original vow to reenact Jesus' Passion and Suffering every ten years thereafter, was the first (and, it turned out, only) performance after the Nazi regime's rise to power the year previous.

Among other things, the Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda ordered the official poster for the jubilee season amended to include the message "Deutschland ruft dich!" ("Germany is calling you!"), and the Kraft durch Freude scheme's discount-travel programme offered special cut-rate packages to the Passion Play, including rail fare, tickets and accommodations.

Official propaganda described the Passion Play as "peasant drama***inspired by the consecrating power of the soil", with Hitler attending a performance (and wound up endorsing it wholeheartedly as one with the Greater Anti-Semitic Agenda of the Nazi regime).

An attempt to rewrite the Passion Play script to bring it into line with Nazi ideology was rejected, however, by the more conservative element.

That's a fantastic rendering of our old friend and king of death, the reaper. That bright scarlet color really does the trick highlighting the crown and cape, and at the same time nicely brings the national-colors into play. A great bit of history to this one.

Thanks again, best! wink

B~

Online Content
Dean,
Again, very nice cards and that note is a great find with "death" representing the plague or the black death as we know it. It was during the Thirty Years War that the Black Death broke out in parts of Europe and actually the towns people of Oberammergau guarded there village and kept it safe for some time. It was during their annual fair held to commemorate the dedication to the village church that a man named Kasper Schisler who lived in the village but worked outside the town during the summer months decided to sneak back into the village and bring death with him. And of course back then they new nothing about germs, so in their minds they thought up all sorts of incredible reasons to explain away the cause of so much death and suffering. Some pretty wild stories believe me.

These vows which Bill briefly discussed were quite common during this time in Bavaria and Austria. From 1600 to 1650 there were about forty villages in Bavaria and Austria that performed a passion play and from 1500 to 1800 around two hundred and fifty.

As stated the first play was in 1634 but it wasn't until the year 1680 that they decided to perform the play during the first year of every decade and I haven't found out why it was changed. There were continuations and postponements of plays for various reasons such as the case in 1800 due to the Napoleonic wars which caused a drop in their viewing audience so they held a special play the following year in 1801. During the earlier years of the Passion Plays they had to get permission to perform, sometimes with conditions added on. In 1810 that permission was denied but was granted in 1811. There was a special performance in 1815 after the Napoleonic wars and a continuation of the 1870 play in 1871 due to it's war with France. And in 1920 the play was postponed until 1922 due to WWI. Your voucher/gift certificate or coupon note used during the 1922 Passion Play?, dated 1921 is a great historical reminder to the people of Oberammergau of what happened in the past and not forget there vow or death can return. The only years that the curtain didn't rise for this play was 1770 and 1940, otherwise pretty much uninterrupted.

The men stop cutting hair and beards about a year out and many of the actors are shop owners or workers so during a break in the play they open their shops for us tourists, so its nice to meet them. They double up on the main characters as well and when I saw the fortieth Passion Play performed, there were 1,600 adults and 550 children involved. If you haven't been you should go. And you can still find great package deals as well!

WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Mikee,

Just couldn't resist ... thanks for "fleshing-out-the bones,"
for us ... grin wink

Best!

B~

D
D
Thank you WWII and Mikee for the backround on the 1921 note.
I thought the art had to do with the misery after WWI...thanks for setting me straight and sharing what you know.

I'm adding a recent arrival Deutschnationalen Vereines fur Osterreich postcard.

wacht.jpg (45.79 KB, 168 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 03/27/2012 08:50 PM.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Nice sword he's passing down, looks like a Casberg design. grin

Nice illustration. wink

B~

WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
found it ... see page 86, volume III of Tom Johnsons, collecting series. A lovely prototype design by Master Casberg, quite similar to the one depicted in your superb illustration. Variations on themes dating back to the Knights Templar! wink

Bill

Last edited by WWII; 04/04/2012 04:11 PM.
D
D
Hubertus feldposted school association card adressed to leutinant in infantry reserve unit no.82.

Hubertus.jpg (59.42 KB, 130 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 04/18/2012 03:02 AM.
D
D
Adolf Herning's 'Der tod und das madchen' posted in 1916.
It has a Ersatzbataillon stamp on the reverse.
I thought the artist did a detailed job with the eyes looking lifeless on the beautiful girl.
Amazes me the art on postcards these days in comparison to older times.

tod.jpg (25.65 KB, 129 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Fellow collectors,

Some of us are familiar with the image of Hubertus, the patron saint of hunters chancing upon a 'blessed' stag while enjoying his favorite pastime, out hunting with his trusty steed and pups. In a nutshell, the magnificent animal speaks to Hubertus and explains the laws of genetics and wildlife-conservation to the old boy, which instantly transforms him from big-time-game-hunter, into big-time-game-protector!

Those who know the legend would likely agree it's fairly familiar scenario, especially to those of our friends from European countries. It's been drawn, etched, engraved, cast, carved, painted, printed and sculpted, literally in the thousands of variations and interpretations.

Once in a long while a great example will pop up and this one fits nicely into that category! There's one famous image that set my 'gold-standard' for Hubertus renderings, by an artist known to me only as "W.R.," at the moment. I'll have to find his full name ..? Can you make out the artist's name on this card Dean? This is another really marvelous work you've found. I enjoy the way the soft, foggy gray and brown colors give way to the stag's brilliant aura and that small but powerful, vivid splash of orange sunlight making its way up through the trees. That minor bit of color contrast really sets the depth and tone of the deep, dark forest for the viewer. Truly a case of "less being much, much, more..!!"

Death and the young girl is also another fine addition to our look at German graphic art. Herning's technique to illustrate the semi-transparency of Death's shroud and the maiden's exotic garb is simply first class. He leaves just enough light filter through the filmy, sheer material for us to get a very good feeling for what's underneath, and that red wisp of a dress poses a great counterpoint to the reaper's dark, macabre presence standing there in a lush field of bright wildflowers, whilst embracing his beautiful and much-too-young, victim. Talk about a frightening scene, and the nasty, boney bugger creeping around in broad daylight, too!

Many thanks for sharing your outstanding collection, always a treat.

Best!

B~

Those last two were both eye catchers. Very nice.

At my age the last makes me aware that death stalks us all. We just have to try to stay one step ahead.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
D
D
Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately I can't make out the artist signature on the hubertus card but the date is 1901 and on the side of image along the border is the text "Hubertus" C. Haufmann pinx.
I thought you'd like it Bill and appreciate the info.

I found a couple more to post.

1)A unposted Wiener Kunst card. Totentanz anno Neun

totentanz.jpg (38.25 KB, 159 downloads)
D
D
2)A Bund der Deutschen in Bohmen card posted in 1916.

I'm posting the text too in hopes of a translation after my Google attempt didn't make much sense.Thanks

nicht.jpg (29.12 KB, 158 downloads)
text.jpg (55.28 KB, 158 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Yes, the Hubetus image is super, a classic!

I'm not certain what the 'Totentanz anno Neun' is referring to? Death leads a band of peasant-soldiers on a carefree stroll down the road, all possibly oblivious to their fate? heh.. sounds about right..? grin

I hope my attempt at translation will be more helpful than that Google thingie? Lets see if this works better ...

"And not alone do you battle the hard fight,
Loyally accompanied, shield to shield, step to step,
Your Germany fights alongside:
The world compels you sisters to victory march!"

A nice bit of propaganda to stir the ladies to action!

Best!

B~

Originally Posted By: WWII

I'm not certain what the 'Totentanz anno Neun' is referring to? Death leads a band of peasant-soldiers on a carefree stroll down the road, all possibly oblivious to their fate? heh.. sounds about right..? grin...

Totentanz anno Neun, means something like Dance Of The Dead In the Year 9. Year 9 means 1809. France together with Bavaria occupied Austria. The war for freedom of the people of Tirol, that began in 1809, on april 9. There was a group of people lead by Andreas Hofer to revolt against Napoleons oppression.

WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Karin Renate,

Good to see you here, always a pleasure reading your helpful, interesting additions. As we say in the states, "a breath of fresh air."

Looking at these wonderful images without understanding the meanings behind them is akin to looking at a stranger's photo album without any details - the pictures might be visually stimulating but without some basic background information we're always left somewhat in the dark..? It's exactly that information that places these artworks into historic context and perspective, giving us an important mental timeline of sorts. When the illustration is explained to the viewer, those additional insights add so much more to the visual impact of the picture. The yin and the yang, two parts of the whole, a symbiotic relationship at its very best.

I found these next two images appealing for different reasons, the first a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm I - detail-oriented, vibrant and razor-sharp. The second illustration is by Ludwig Holwein, a much simpler form and in only two basic colors. I'd say elementary for an artist of his class but nevertheless, perfect for the subject matter, "Animals as Master-builders."

Best! wink

W~

wilhelmIsm.jpg (65.69 KB, 123 downloads)
Hollweindiewochesm.jpg (49.17 KB, 122 downloads)
Last edited by WWII; 05/04/2012 12:41 PM.
2 amazing cards William, the Wilhelm I is very very nice!!! I know that Prinzessin Victoria Luise loved her grandfather (Friedrich III) very much, he was the son of Wilhelm I, and emperor only for 99 unlucky days. Anyway, thats not about Wilhelm I, so, I"ll stop.

The ant card is really very nice too . Yes animals are masterbuilders.

Originally Posted By: WWII
.."Animals as Master-builders." ...

I knew I saw it before .. That ant, was on a cover of the magazine Die Woche, it was made by Ludwig Hohlwein, who lived from 1874 to 1949. Ludwig was an important architect, painter and, yes, posterartist. This painting is from 1926, and the background was bright red. Nice William!!!!!!!

Last edited by Krullies; 05/13/2012 09:12 PM.

D
D
Thanks Krullies and Bill for the input.Nice cards btw WWII
I have 3 new ones to post

1)

German Austria.jpg (54.75 KB, 102 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 05/22/2012 03:57 AM.
D
D
2)

Rethel 2.jpg (64.79 KB, 101 downloads)
D
D
3)

Germania Imp..jpg (44.45 KB, 100 downloads)
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern), 347 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod