Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, fellow collectors, it has finally happened to me. A package containing original Casberg paintings of Eickhorn daggers and prototypes has disappeared between my good buddy in Texas, Mike Morris, and me here in Canada.

Here is what was in the package:

ORIGINAL EICKHORN FACTORY PAINTING, CASBERG PROTOTYPE SKETCHES', AND PHOTOS.
# 1- ORIGINAL PAINTING FOR THE CATALOGS
# 2- FORESTRY DAGGERS
# 3- MINERS SWORD
# 4- IMPERIAL NAVY DAGGER
# 5- PROTOTYPE SKETCH FOR THE NSKK HIGH LEADERS DAGGER BY CASBERG
# 6- PROTOTYPE SKETCH FOR AN IDIAN SWORD
# 7- CROSSGUARD FOR THE SPANISH SWORD
# 8- NAVAL SWORD
# 9- PROTOTYPE SKETCH OF THE 1929 SWORD
# 10- SAWBACK FORESTRY DAGGER
# 11- CASBERG PROTOTYPE SKETCH FOR THE SS HIGH LEADERS DAGGER
# 12- ORIGINAL WATER COLOR SKETCH FOR THE FORESTRY DAGGERS
# 13- A SALES LETTER DATED 1954 FOR THE LUFTWAFFE DAGGER

Of course, the postal services in both countries are being very unhelpful about this, not to mention the security and customs guys are just pointing fingers.

If you see or hear of any of these appearing somewhere, please contact me at [email protected] or Mike Morris at his web site here;

http://www.relicsofthereichs.com/daggers.htm

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
S
S
Very unfortunate John. Lets hope the matter will get resolved quickly.

Very sad to hear that. I hope that you will still find these beautiful scetches.

Last edited by den70; 02/14/2012 12:26 AM.

Buy Casberg sketches.
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
It was mailed out to me in the middle of November, so quick resolution is out of the picture.

On the advice of the local postmaster, Mike mailed it out without tracking or registration to avoid making the package a target.

Now, everyone is saying that without tracking, the package cannot be traced.

John

Hey John,

Damn, I had no idea. Hope your treasures are recovered, my friend.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
L
L
Sorry to hear it John. I had something go astray and although not expensive in the grand scheme it was more than I could afford to lose. I know how you must be feeling. It did turn up eventually but it had gone by ship which was very slow!

Unfortunately it is correct that a normal package/parcel can go astray with no hint of where or when.

I find it incredulous that it was shipped unregistered.

Even low dollar stuff I have tracked because it`s worth the peace of mind.

I do hope that your stuff will surface eventually

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
John � Really sorry about this It�s a bad feeling not knowing if it will ever show up or not.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Because these are one of a kind, I suggest you post the photos here, in addition to the list, so the moderator can pin this to allert people if any of the pieces come on the market.

This is truly sad. These items have meaning to serious collectors only. I do hope they show up.

That's sad. I sure hope it all turns up for you. That local Postmaster is an idiot. Althought nothing as significant as your stuff, I as well have just had this happen for the first time. I always require registered mail, the whole nine yards. I let my guard down this one time and they got me.

JR Offline
John, Do we know for sure that the package was indeed mailed? With that in mind for future reference and info, when a parcel from the US is posted by the USPS and sent EXPRESS MAIL, every person that touches the package has to scan it in. Therefore there is a very secure trail that can be tracked at all times. Additionally when it is sent this way, the actual carrier is FED- EX.

P
P
John, sad news to hear about your loss.
However, I would like to point out that you should ALWAYS send your packages with a tracking number, I've done so for the last 10 years and nothing never happened.
I would NEVER trust someone that would send me a package without a tracking number, too easy to say that " it was sent ". No tracking numbers = no proof of shipping.
I'm not implying that Mike didn't send the package but if it had a tracking number, you wouldn't be having this unfortunate experience today.
Whether or not it has a tracking number, it doesn't make it more of " a target ", on the contrary, someone wouldn't try to still a package with a tracking number, he would get caught along the line.

Anyway, this sounds really strange IMHO.

Last edited by Pat; 02/14/2012 10:15 PM.
I did not know it was possible to send a package to Canada without a customs form of some type. The customs form becomes the tracking number.

So how do you send a package to Canada without some type of document with a number on it, that the sender has a copy of?

Jim,

You might be able to send them in a fat manila envelope without a customs form of some sort. I know you can send letters, cards, and thin manila envelopes, but don't know where the weight cutoff is.

Overall, something in this does not sound right, including a Postmaster giving that sort of advice. At the very least, write a letter to the US Postmaster General and file a complain with the USPS Postal Inspectors about that guy.

Also, Start a separate thread titled "Stolen Casberg Art" or something similar and post the pictures. I will feature it.

JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, Houston, I will.

Here is the chronology of what happened.

On Nov 1, I sent Mike a bank draft for these items.
Within a week of this, Mike telss me that he has sent this out (a package that is 20 by 20 by 2 inches) priority mail but unregistered based on the advice of his postmaster.

Between the end of November and the end of December, Mike and I exchange a few notes .. where Mike is more worried about than I am. I have found that up to 6 weeks for international mail is not unheard of and, with the Christmas mail deluge, I wasn't going to get worried about thsi until the end of December.

So, we are now in the middle of February and still no parcel has arrived. Mike is worried and I am really, really antsy. I checked with Canada Post and with Canada Customs, who both tell me that without some kind of a tracking number, there is no way that they can help me.

In all of this, I have absolutely no reason to doubt Mike and he seems to be doing all he can to find this.

In hindsight, what could we have done differently? Made sure that some kind of tracking and signature requirements were in place (registered letter, courier, whatever).

John

P
P

Within a week of this, Mike telss me that he has sent this out priority mail but unregistered based on the advice of his postmaster.

-------------------

Absolutely non sense, it should have taken a tracking number and I don't understand why the postmaster would say this.
It doesn't sound right and I wouldn't feel happy with this kind of response but that's just me.
I have refused to pay for packages that the seller didn't want to put a tracking number on.
Anyway, just to make certain that the pictures on Mike's web site does not evaporate, here are the pictures from his web site which I'm sure he won't mind if I post them.

JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
I do want to clarify one point though.. On Oct 31, when Mike and I were talking about how I was sending him my money, he stated to me 'I'll let you know when your funds get here and when the package leaves with a tracking number'.

So, my expectation was some kin dof tracking, but I did get a note from Mike saying that he was sending it 'I sent it regular mail as the postmaster here assured me the connection between the U.S. and Canada is no problem..... '.

These quotes are from e-mails sent to me by Mike.

John

P
P

If he told you that he would send the package with a tracking number and did not, he is fully responsible for the loss. He did not respect his part of the agreement.
In a court of law he would loose his case, FINAL !

John
Always when sending package outside the U.S. I have to fill out the customs declaration form.
That number can be track only by post office.

mini-rshfhg 001.JPG (97.77 KB, 308 downloads)
G
G
I recently had a package mailed to me from Europe. Thankfully he put a tracking number on it as we agreed..

. 2 months later no package. I do some checking and it was at my local airport [JFK] at their post office,,weird.
They tell me its there but I can't have it,,no reason,,I just can't have it.. My local PO says to have the sender start an 'Inquiry'. That would get the ball rolling and questions asked etc. and if not missing eventually get it delivered to me...

Well, thankfully I still had some 'friends' at the airport,,shortcut,,I got the package yesterday!.

Anyway,,the point is that with the tracking number I was able to get the day it was mailed, the day it left his country, the day it arrived here in the US..
International or in country, ALWAYS insist on a tracking number..... Hope they turn up for you..

yes the customs doc will help to,,,and no way he mailed it without that.....

JR Offline
The customs declaration number is not a number that the USPS keeps track of........... period. When sending an international parcel, it automatically is tracked if the item is sent EXPRESS MAIL. You you send it by International Priority, it to has an option that can be traced. Sending an item by Parcel Post or 1st class mail................ get's you jack, and you can not track an item sent this way.

JR, I really have to disagree. Before Express Mail, I posted all packages by priority mail and the customs declaration number absolutely allowed me to verify the package delivery. Period. If you are alluding to the fact that you do not get the specific location by location report, that is correct.

But, I definitely, as did my foreign customers, used the customs number to track the packages.

that being said, I believe Pat is correct on this. I do not see how this is John's financial responsibility.

P
P
I sure hope John that this is the last time you will deal with this gentleman, sadly, an irresponsable behavior for not sending a $ 5000 artifact without some sort of tracking number.
The fact that the postmaster told him not to do so is even more ridiculous.
Absolutely non sense in my opinion.

Pat,

I agree 100%...everything I receive has a tracking number, insurance, and must be signed for by an adult 18 years of age or older, and everything I send must be signed for and is sent with insurance and tracking number.

I also agree that if John has an email he can prove from the sender stating it would have a tracking number and it did not, I would think the sender would be liable in a U.S. court of law.

John, I really hope these items show up for you...it's a tragedy this happened as I'm sure you would have shared these items with the whole collecting community. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rich

In memory of my loyal companion Nitro.
P
P
Well, well, well, there is a lot of talking "being the curtains" at the moment and it seems that we will soon know the whole truth ;), which isn't really nice. sick

I will post pictures tonight if I have to... Regards:

G
G
Here's something I just found:

Tracking with USPS customs form number?

I shipped out a package via USPS First Class International Mail to Australia from PA. I handed the clerk the package with the shipping and return addresses printed on the package and paid for it. I NEVER filled out any "customs forms" that I'm hearing a lot of people doing. I asked the clerk if they offered any tracking or delivery confirmation and they said no. A few days later, I looked at the receipt they gave me and I notice a "Customs form #" on it. I typed the number into USPS' Track & Confirm page and it says this:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was accepted at 10:44 am on January 31, 2011 in UNIVERSITY PARK, PA 16802. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

My friend did the same, and this is what it says on his Customs Form Number:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was processed through and left our JAMAICA, NY 11430 facility on February 01, 2011 at 7:15 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, February 01, 2011, 7:15 am, JAMAICA, NY 11430
Acceptance, January 31, 2011, 1:44 pm, BRONX, NY 10463

Apparently his Customs Form Number is tracking his package. But isn't just simple enough to use a tracking number!?

Last edited by Gaspare; 02/15/2012 06:40 PM.
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
This whole thing is getting really complicated and making me very antsy.

Back in October of last year, I noticed this Eickhorn Casberg artwork for sale on Mike Morris's web site, Treasursofthereich.

He and I made a deal where I paid for these items and was charged a further $15 for registration and insurance and was told a couple of days later that the items would be shipped with a tracking number.

I was then told that the package was actually shipped with no tracking and no insurance, but by priority mail, no tracking.

The package never arrived. It is now 3 months since the package was 'shipped' as per Mike.

Mike and I talked about where it could be and we agreed that we should separately pursue trying to track it down. He and I agreed that I would post this onto the forums that I participate in and that he would do his own thing from his end.

I posted here and on WAF and, yesterday, received a call from a very respected member of both forums who told me that he had these items and, in fact, had purchased them from Mike several years back. When confronted with this by Mr. X and by me and by a friend of mine, Mike's position was that he did sell a bunch of Eickhorn factory stuff to Mr. X, but that it didn't include these items. I have talked to Mr. X and he is thinking about posting the pictures of his items here.

Mike is still trying to track down the shipment, insists on there being a real shipment and that these items were his to sell to me.

I have asked for my money to be returned and was told that 'things are tight' maybe you can take something else from me as 'collateral'.

So, that is where this stands as of half an hour ago.

John

Hang tight buddy. I trust that this will get resolved and people will do the right thing.
I am happy that this tight collecting community and we all help each other.
Here here for the power of forums!! smile

John, as you know I have had these items for some years now...Matter of fact I even posted some on the forum some years back but the posts are gone now.. I'm sure some of you remember it...Not sure way Mike has done this (money issue, medication issue??) but the fact is he on the phone questions that I do not have them and if I do even questions (WHEN) I got them.. As in John selling them to me!! I can produce people on this forum who have seen them in my house over 1 year ago (he is a lawyer in WI.).. So Mike come clean and just pay the guy.....

Is Mike a member here ?

Hi John I really hope it works out for you,, I have seen some Very expensive deals gone sour on this forum in the past,,One of them involved Christopher Ailsby and an SS honor dagger ,, but I cant see why someone would put their reputation on the line for $5M. Its a considerable amount yes,, but why destroy one selfs integrity for $5M. I hope this is not the case and everything for both parties work out. I myself get worried sending a check for under a hundred dollars to someone I dont know,, but is it really worth it to take $100? let alone $5M,, which will not last long in anyones pocket. I hope for your sake and your investment that everything works out to your benefit! smile Best regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Honesty and integrity seems to mean very little in this hobby, some of the biggest names in the game willing to put their reputations on the line for the sake of a quick buck. Normally I choose not to post on these seemingly endless threads on unscrupulous dealers / people but seriously, taking money for an item already sold is plain stupidity and blatant fraud.

John, I sincerely hope that this situation is resolved amicably and quickly.

JR Offline
Like I questioned in the beginning " are we sure that the package was
ever sent?"

Last edited by JR; 02/16/2012 02:15 AM.
S
S
John, if he doesn't reimburse you, I think you should file a complaint with the police. You have a good case.

You should file a complaint with the USPS Postal Inspectors.

And don't settle for something else.

Dave

P
P
Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
You should file a complaint with the USPS Postal Inspectors.

And don't settle for something else.

Dave

What good will it be if no package was ever sent ????????????
Remember that Jim Brown claims that the ACTUAL Eickhorn sketches are in his hands and that there is no other copy that exists, if so, no need to waste your time at the USPS.

As most people know, John is a profesional. A very competant professional. I have no doubt he knows all he has to do is place a call to the local DA, and even in Texas, he can expect some direct action. Th DA will very quickly determine if fraud is involved.

So, I would leave this to John and let this topic cool off here, unless John decides to reopen it.

Just my opinion.

Pat,

According to posts, Mike has said to John that his local postmaster gave him advice on how to send that parcel and that it was via USPS mail. It did not arrive. That is enough for a complaint.

Postal Inspectors would cut through to the truth in short order. An interview with the postmaster in question then one with Mike would probably settle it.

John,

Read this;
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/GetWhatYouOrdered.aspx

You can call in a complaint:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/phoneus.aspx

Dave

Last I heard Money in time will be refunded, also found out That Mike shorted me on my deal with some other unpictured documents. mad This should bring a end to this.... I hope all who have read this post has learned something about this dealer.

P
P
Glad to hear that John will get his money back and that's one more dealer we should put in front of a firing squad. grin

BUNDES~1.JPG (110.8 KB, 241 downloads)
Last edited by Pat; 02/16/2012 05:13 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,488 SS Bayonets
1,764,491 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,291 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:23 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:15 AM
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Texasuberalles - 05/11/2024 12:12 AM
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/10/2024 10:51 PM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by Cameron - 05/10/2024 10:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,200
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Don Scowen, The_Collector, Documentalist, jean, benten, atis), 554 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod