Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Big5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
When push comes to shove how easy is it to sell a full Rohm SS or SA? I have been told by respected dealers (no names) that if you do not sit on a dagger for 10 years or so it will probably be hard to get what you paid. Are these daggers thus overpriced?

I have bought standard SA daggers way back when for $90 - $300 and sat on for them awhile and sold them for $1200-1400,,, but depending upon the condition and desirability. Rohms are very desirable SA/SS but its the condition that will hold its value.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Let's put this in perspective... when you buy a car or a watch or a house, you pay the market price. Included in this price are a bunch of other things, like fees and profit for the seller.

If you try to sell any of these right after buying them, you will get back a lot less than what you paid, most of the time.

It is the same with daggers, Rohm or not Rohm. When you buy at or slightly below market, you cannot expect that someone will give you what you just paid for it. If they wanted to do that, the new buyer has lots of options, including dealing at market price with dealers who have top notch reputations.

Look at the analogy of buying a car.. how long would you have had to hold onto a 56 Chevy to get more than what you paid back on it?

Don't buy to invest.. that is a mug's game. Collectibles have no intrinsic value, unless they are made of precious metals. The price of collectibles depends on someone wanting the same item. Buy these things to enjoy them!

That being said, even the most recent purchases I have hold their value better than some of the investments I had, like Nortel or RIM.

John

Last edited by JohnZ; 12/23/2011 05:12 PM. Reason: sp

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
If you can buy a "Rohm" at a bargain price, which is unusual, but not unheard of, you should be able to at least break even at some point, if you sell. The poor economic times we now see have an effect on practically all collectibles. Now may be a good time to find a dagger at a lower price than in the recent past. As noted above, condition is of great importance. Those who can afford to pay for an expensive dagger will want one with as few condition problems as can be found. A dagger in so-so condition, except, perhaps, an ultra rare one, will get a so-so price. If I had the funds now and was interested in a "Rohm," I would seriously be looking for one. In the absence of a total economic meltdown, it is doubtful they will ever be cheaper. Good buys can be found if you are patient and can exercise some negotiating skills. Also, as noted, buy primarily to collect and enjoy collecting, not to invest, although it is a good idea to think of such things before making a purchase. There are no guarantees when collecting anything as to whether they will appreciate. If you can afford it, buy an SS example, although an nice SA full "Rohm" is also highly desirable.

A
A
I guess its perspective thing, Is the glass half full or half empty? When i started collecting 3-4 years ago full rohms never came up for sale and if they did they were sold within minutes and were a lot more expensive than they are now, IMO if you can afford to buy a good one now then its a good time to buy as long as you can afford to sit on it for a good while maybe even a decade or so, the thing is at the moment theres not many guys willing to part with their hard earned cash, other things come first like kids, houses and cars.
This is all JMO guys so if you dont agree dont drop a ton of bricks on my head, lol

I will include a pic of a full rohm i picked up between 1-2 years ago, and IMO i dont think this would have come up for sale in normal times.
Main thing as John says is enjoy what you collect

Merry Christmas to one and all

Adam

B
Big5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
It seems like you have to be sure not to want to convert them to something else anytime soon as I am looking at a 30-40% loss from what I paid 2 years ago. I think maybe I should sit until prices climb, hopefully in the next couple of years. Thanks for the opinions. Merry Christmas to all!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,305 SS Bayonets
1,763,672 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,232 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 04/29/2024 10:54 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Latest New Posts
Pipes old and new
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/02/2024 03:18 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/02/2024 02:51 AM
POCKET MATCHSAFES
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:31 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 08:26 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 06:48 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,666
Posts329,075
Members7,523
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (Mikee, Vern, Honestmike, BretVanSant, Stephen), 379 guests, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod