Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Pardon me if I've somehow missed this news on this board, but I was floating around AOL News and noticed a link to this article/video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01/one-of-a-kind-portraits-o_n_915123.html?ncid=webmail1

The allegedly original oil portraits of Hitler's Parents, Klara and Alois.

Seems like our Craig Gottleib (who appears in the video) currently has them on consignment from the owners, who live in California. They are going to be put up for auction on his website.

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.asp?id=559

Interesting.

T.

Last edited by Tiberius; 08/02/2011 06:26 PM.
S
S
Certainly not great pieces of art.
The only value being the association with Adolf Hitler, which on the international art market would not command any high value if any value at all. I certainly would not look at them as investment quality art pieces.
Steve Ray

Last edited by SteveRay; 08/03/2011 01:25 AM.

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.
J
J
also some doubts on era , or if this set is one of several done for various "homes of hitler".
not an item I would need. will fetch less than some expect.

OP Offline
Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hitler had more than one of these portrait sets commissioned for his various residences. If that is the case, the question is whether these ar the 'original' portraits from which all others were copied. It may be that in-person the paintings have all the physical characteristics of being older than the 1930s-1940s, and could be the originals, but it's difficult to tell from photos provided.

It'll be interesting to see how much they go for when the auction goes live in September.

T.

M
M
It amazes me that items associated with Hitler don't sell for more. He was after all the most influential person of the 20th century and changed the whole course of history. I'm just getting into collecting TR stuff but I am amazed that something like the item described below sold on a European auction site for 3600 Euros a couple of months ago.

"Adolf Hitler - a presentation bronze on his 50th birthday 1939.

Dark patinated sculpture of an iron caster, the plinth signed "Iffland". On a tall, black marble base with green veining. The obverse with a silver dedication plaque "Dem Führer und Reichskanzler Adolf Hitler - dem ersten Arbeiter des Reiches zu seinem 50. Geburtstage übergeben" ("To Führer and Reich Chancellor Adolf Hitler - the First Worker of the Reich presented on his 50th birthday"), the reverse with a further silver plaque "In Dankbarkeit die Gefolgschaft der Z.A. Chemnitz 20. April 1939", next to which is a tag "Juwelier Roller Chemnitz". Figure height 29.5 cm, total height 60 cm.
From the time of the industrial revolution Chemnitz was one of the most important and wealthiest German industrial cities, owing its nickname "the Saxon Manchester" to iron smelting and numerous machine-building firms like Unionwerke, Astrawerke and Wanderer/Auto Union.
Franz Iffland (1862 - 1935), German sculptor and painter".

If you see the item it is a beautiful sculpture and was given to AH on his 50th birthday! I would have thought it would be worth $000000s!

Anything directly associated with AH, or any top Nazi for that matter, is going to drum up interest and fetch some $$.
The problem usually comes with finding iron clad provenance that people require when paying big $$. Even when that provenance is there, expectations on the part of sellers are usually a bit too high.

Doug
A collectible is only worth of how much its desired, and where there is a desire, then there is a price. Hundreds if not thousands are spent on a 1 cent coin or a stamp. Not me but someone else. To each his own when collecting.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
L
L
Originally Posted By: Manxman
It amazes me that items associated with Hitler don't sell for more. He was after all the most influential person of the 20th century and changed the whole course of history. I'm just getting into collecting TR stuff but I am amazed that something like the item described below sold on a European auction site for 3600 Euros a couple of months ago.

"Adolf Hitler - a presentation bronze on his 50th birthday 1939.

Dark patinated sculpture of an iron caster, the plinth signed "Iffland". On a tall, black marble base with green veining. The obverse with a silver dedication plaque "Dem Führer und Reichskanzler Adolf Hitler - dem ersten Arbeiter des Reiches zu seinem 50. Geburtstage übergeben" ("To Führer and Reich Chancellor Adolf Hitler - the First Worker of the Reich presented on his 50th birthday"), the reverse with a further silver plaque "In Dankbarkeit die Gefolgschaft der Z.A. Chemnitz 20. April 1939", next to which is a tag "Juwelier Roller Chemnitz". Figure height 29.5 cm, total height 60 cm.
From the time of the industrial revolution Chemnitz was one of the most important and wealthiest German industrial cities, owing its nickname "the Saxon Manchester" to iron smelting and numerous machine-building firms like Unionwerke, Astrawerke and Wanderer/Auto Union.
Franz Iffland (1862 - 1935), German sculptor and painter".

If you see the item it is a beautiful sculpture and was given to AH on his 50th birthday! I would have thought it would be worth $000000s!

Regarding Hitler, I have to agree with you Manxman. It's a shame that he was such a changer of history but that's the way it is!

J
J
All high profile people's items are suspect. to much money to be made by fakes.
the one story was a vet. found hitler's uniform and while still in germany had a tailor make up more WITH the hitler tailor tags . Then sold / traded these to other vets who took them home.

plus a man back in the 60s/ 70s was making painting of the famous artists & sold them as originals. most ended up in museums world wide. then he got busted on something else. he came clean on all of his fakes he had made. The museums actually claimed he was full of it. they did not want to admit they bought junk & paid tons of money for.
SO , who could not fake these. Don't know who would.

Remember the fake hitler diaries ,back in the 1980s !!!
might want a painting of uncle adolf ,but his parents ??

G
G
*Not really related to these paintings but , EVERYONE who is involved in this hobby , dealer or collector needs to read this book.

Just gives you an idea of the super high end pieces that are fake and have been circulating for many many years by now..

SELLINGHITLER2.jpg (43.07 KB, 97 downloads)
There is also the fact that for Hitler's birthday, literally thousands( tens of thousands?) of people would have sent him gifts,most of which he would have never seen, let alone touched, cherished etc..

These gifts would come from people from all walks of life as well..generals, political leaders, as well as the average citizen..

Add to that the thousands of gifts bestowed upon him every other day of the year for 12 years and that is a lot of merchandise with tenuous provenance.

I agree with Gaspare - this is a CLASSIC book, and it even mentions Charlie Snyder at the end, which is sort of funny.

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com
OP Offline
Looks like the portraits sold for $23,850 at the end of the auction.

Not bad, though far less than some suggested they might go for.

T.

J
J
I guess not a bad selling price , if I were selling them. a bit higher than I thought they would sell for.
jeff

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,441 SS Bayonets
1,760,267 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,711 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Documentalist, Stephen, OWN, Ilya, jean, atis, benten), 364 guests, and 87 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod