Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
spacey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just bought a Kar98 bayonet, there is some dispute on the value/description of it between the seller and a different website where I posted pics. Can anyone help? I'm not trying to dispute the seller's claims; just need some new eyes to give some opinions since I am not experienced myself in this. The last photo shows what is supposed to be a "waffenampt" but my eyes see no eagle or numbers under it, the camera shows all the detail that there is. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'll post the seller's description 1st, and then the responses from the self-proclaimed "experts", and then photos I took myself.

Seller description ---- "WWII German K98 combat Bayonet, scarce 1944 (Navy Artillery issue). Black Bayonet with matching numbers. It is Nazi waffen-ampt marked on handle pommel" $225.00

Website response to photos ---- First off, the 44 is for 1944. The "crs" is a code for the maker...in this case PAUL WEYERSBERG. The Sheath should have markings up by the throat which should be matching to the markings & date on the blade however, you said it was black painted which is NOT CORRECT, it should be blued, not painted, of course it could have been painted after the war (but not a good sign and would hurt it value big time! $150.00 or more would be a reasonable retail price.

2nd response - - - Your bayonet certainly has been refinished.
As John G said, the original finish was blued metal. "Naval Artillery issue" not sure how the seller came to that conclusion. Scarce - not really IMHO. Now if it was a 45 then it would be!

3rd response - - - I'm not a "Bayonet expert", but I've bought & sold literally a couple hundred M98 Mauser Bayonets from WW2 and I've never heard of a "Coastal Artillery" version with black painted fittings and sheath that's not to say I haven't had ones that had painted sheaths in "black, OD, tan, olive green, gold and silver" but I never considered the paint to be original. I agree with Richie this is a refinished example but does appear to be a nice matched example otherwise. The small markings normally are "waffampts" (little eagle like stamps w/numbers below) though sometimes the country that reworked the bayonets changed/added their own markings."

Photos I took myself - - -

[IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j384/spacey0666/2011norman-
0525militaria23Kar98bayonet44crsotherside2985fmatchingsheath.jpg[/IMG]

Von zwei �beln w�hlt man besser das, was man schon kennt.
S
spacey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
oops, wrong place.

H
H
Hmmmmm decent looking bayonet. Funny Ive recently bought one of these aswell. Your grips are redish where mine are black. My serial number is 2433 with a e under it. I also have to proof stamps located where your stamp is....(dont knw that to be nazi or not the stamp). Looking at mine I see it is double stamped with the same ..... ??A519 with something above it....could be nazi eagle mark??

Interesting stuff......I agree however it sounds like your were sold a story. As that has been painted, mine is raw steel with blue blade., scabbard is rusty, but was probably shiney

Last edited by Heavy D; 06/06/2011 02:15 PM.

Ive set a goal......find a FHH and buy it from a vet.
S
S
It is Waffen-amt, and it is refinished - painted. This repainting was / is a common practice with bayonets sold surplus after the war.

S
spacey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I agree (and everyone else seems to also) that it was post-war painted. Mine also has "WaA519" stamp near the pommel top. I contacted the seller, and he got pretty upset I would question his description (though it was actually people on this and another site questioning its rarity/KriegsMarine issue). He
said he'd rather have back. I don't mind so much overpaying for it, (guy's gotta make a profit) as the description being a lie. That's a peeve of mine. After buying from this guy for 4 years, he gets defensive the 1st time I question something. Oh well, live and learn.

(I know this post is in the wrong place, but I don't think I'm allowed to delete it)

Last edited by spacey; 06/26/2011 08:27 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,544 SS Bayonets
1,764,054 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,658 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Latest New Posts
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by Tanker - 05/06/2024 01:54 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by Billy G. - 05/05/2024 08:49 PM
NSKK dienst dolch
by OWN - 05/05/2024 06:08 PM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/05/2024 05:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,671
Posts329,130
Members7,525
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Vern, Tanker, Dean Perdue, Jonesy, LotusPeddler96, George Sr., Dave, Eric26), 552 guests, and 113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod