Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#244887 05/14/2011 02:12 PM
S
Sepp Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just wondering what happened to him, have not seen a post of his in quite sometime. I enjoy reading his posts??

Sepp

I believe this may have something to do with his absence:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506419

GDC silver member #393
S
Sepp Offline OP
OP Offline
S
WOW...Don't know what to say...

Well well, Houston, a common dagger pimp ,,, And a retired law enforcement officer at that.
Decent ethics are turning into a rare commodity these days.

Doug
isn't he also the trusty security chief or so for the MAX show?

S
S
well well....I have been accused by Houston for returning a totally fake Luftwaffe visor to him two Max shows ago...showed it to Shea and Stezelberger and many others just to prove to Houston that it was bad...(yes I know Luft visors well but I never handled it as it was mailed to me) When I returned it after showing Houston why it was "bad" he shook his head, swore and called me nuts...and I am sure this has been used as another reason to attack MY credibility on this very forum..the hat was then offerred for sale 5 minutes later on his table....where is he to defend himself and where are his forum "friends" now????

I thought this particular forum is for talking about and showing hunting/forestry and shooting association hirschfängers and related items, I have nothing against your freedom of speech but this is not the place for this particular thread and Yes I am aware that this forum is named after Houston, we need to stick to daggers, I believe this thread needs to be placed somewhere else, certainly not closed down though.

Gary

Last edited by Baz69; 05/15/2011 06:35 PM.
I've moved this here.

Post comments positive or negative but please avoid insults and personal attacks.

Thanks,
Dave

Dissapointing if its true. Shoddy behaviour from someone well regarded in the hobby.

Always buying Blood Orders.
I think as well he was on the board of experts from Ex-Empire
Actions.

I have dealt with Houston for many years with no problems... This is very unfortunate to hear.....

Last edited by fatguy; 05/15/2011 11:25 PM.

Lou Bell
S
Sepp Offline OP
OP Offline
S
If any of this is true...I just don't understand WHY??? It can't be just to make a few dollars?
I only asked the question...thinking he might be sick or something,this sure was not the "something"
I thought I would hear.

Sepp

0292 Gold

I for my part with the only view things I bought from him I never got an issue with him.

Although I personally did not buy anything from Houston I got to know him as a very polite and generous collector friend once helping me to gain and deliver an item I otherwise could not get.
Still glad having got this item and thankfully for his unselfish help.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
As with any dealer that I have dealt with over the years, I have bought stuff from Houston and I have returned stuff to Houston. Actually, as with all my dealer dealings, I have bought way more items than I have returned.

While Houston was not at all happy when I returned (the 2 items that I remember returning), he did take them back and he did have no issues refunding my money. Of course, like many people when you return items to them, he took this as a challenge to his knowledge and his reputation.

Everyone makes mistakes, even the acknowledged experts. How mistakes are handled determines the character of the person. So, while annoyed with me and questioning my lack of judgment and, after trying to talk me out of it, both items went back and we stayed cordial. Of course, I did not use our difference in opinion as to the items in question as an attack.

I respect Houston's knowledge and his abilities and he has always helped when when I asked him to.

I am disappointed by what I saw, did not hear his side of it and am not prepared to write off a man of his skills, abilities and caring over one incident, not matter how it looks.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
I remember buying a high end item from Houston. When it arrived, I did not like it. It was as described, the photos were accurate. Everything was as he stated. The only reason I wanted to return it was because, "I did not like it".

I received a three word response. "Send it back."

While I am not sure what the speculation is about the SS dagger, I do know I will not hesitate to deal with Houston again.

I think the majority would agree that Houston is without a doubt one of our most valued and respected members. He has always been helpful and without hesitation ready and willing to freely share his knowledge with us all. He has helped members and non-members alike from literally loosing their shirts. I'm not so quick to judge and if in fact their is a dispute,I'm sure it can be resolved.

A
A
Now Ron Weinand just put up a timely ad in the for sale forum! grin
Jim

Jim,

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

"Dagger and Sword Parts" . . . used for just what is being discussed, the refurbishing of a dagger or sword that needs any of those parts . . . but what is Houston's side of the story? Dealer or not, I'd still expect to see him innocent until it is proven otherwise.

GDC Gold Badge #0204

"Even if such objects cannot change the soul of man, at least they give him an identity." - Heinrich Himmler
A
A
Dave:
Look in the For Sale Section of GDC at the items Ron W. just put up and my previous post will make sense. What an impeccable sense of timing Ron has!! grin
Jim

G
G
Well I guess if you had a broken piece on your dagger it'd be great to get the part.
But where does it stop,, replace because something is worn? replace because the next piece makes it rarer?
Collectors and dealers have been humping up daggers since the beginning of the hobby. Times are tough now,,dealers need to make money,,there is a finite amount of pieces out there,,guess some think ,or try, to get over..

Do the dagger collectors really think most of the daggers vets brought back were in great condition?? Don't they know the 2 biggest dagger gurus have draws and draws full of parts.

E
E
Just read this post. I think of Houston as a friend and have dealt with him for years with no problem. He is what i think of as a good guy. If there is a problem he will take care of it. I dont think we have gotten the full story. Last time i talk with Houston he wasnt getting on here as much as he used to (im guilty of that myself) and im sure when he checks back on here he will explain what is going on.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
P
P
i just want to say, that houston, is a friend and rick has expressed my my exact feelings.he has helped us collectors way more than most other biggies in the hobby. paul

B
B
I bought several daggers from Houston at the max shows over the years. The only problem i have with him is if he doesn't know you he is not exactly mr. cheerful when you try to talk to him. As far as dagger tune ups they all do it and i never had any of them disclose it to me unless i bring it up.

This software does not let me move individual posts to other threads. Sorry. In the morning I'm going to take out the pistol stuff and associated posts. If you want to start a thread on that Luger, Jim, go ahead. Might be interesting.

Till then, I'm closing it. Write your thoughts down so you can post in the morning.

OK back open. I've removed the Luger stuff and associated replies. Also one I judged to be more of an insult than a contribution to this topic.

Dave

Kinda hard to gauge what a "contribution" is when you can't even voice the opinion that turning legit historical relics into part daggers to turn a $ shows questionable ethics.

Doug
Sorry, but I am not going to get into a water contest with any "big time" collectors who just love to bash dealers with their lies using stolen, unauthorized and altered photos and anything else they can conjure up with their room full of computers.They just love to have their names up in print. Believe me there are plenty of counter charges I could make against these babies but I just don't have time to provide the entertainment. I have helped many of you in the past also saving many of you thousands of dollars with my FREE collector's guide. Who else has provided such a thing? Please keep that in mind while reading this. Thanks, and thanks for all who have written supporting posts. That's all I have to say.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
S
Sepp Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Houston, Thats it? When I started this post, I said I really enjoyed reading your comments, and wondered if you were OK. Well, I did not enjoy that one...In all the post I have read about you from 2002...I have NEVER once seen where you were not willing to give advice on any question asked.I'm sure you saved alot of people, alot of $.

But these people are saying you humped up these daggers,never told them,and then, when they confronted you about it,you denied doing it. If it is not true: "DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH BASHING YOUR GOOD NAME" Of all the post you have written on this site...I thought you were the kind of guy that "didn't pull punches"..."no smoke and mirrors" with you...Then you call them babies, just like to see their names up in print???

Well give them what they like...expose them for what they really are...don't let these guys do this to you!

Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold

I've purchased some quality pieces at good prices from Houston with no issues. Like Sepp says I value his judgement and comments and he has certainly saved me alot of $ when I first started collecting. Personally, I don't see why Houston is being nailed to the cross for this and why so many people are joining the hate brigade. I for one know I have sold pieces to some highly regarded sellers and have witnessed the alterations as they are resold on their sites as 'untouched'. Sure its a hobby based on reputation but after all his guidance based on years of experience I think we ought to cut him slack. IMO

Last edited by Fitzer; 05/19/2011 03:40 AM.
E
E
Im glad Houston isnt going to jump into the fray.These things also turn into mud sling, name calling, bad feeling etc. If you have ever dealt with Houston you know him and his reputation as a pretty good guy, but i will have to agree with whoever said he was kind of brusk when you first meet him, but after you get to know him he is a lot more easy going,lol.But i have found most of the major dealer are that way at first.

Last edited by Earl (Rick) Schreiber; 05/19/2011 05:57 AM.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
S
Sepp Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Fitzer,you wrote:

"I have sold pieces to some highly regarded sellers and have witnessed the alterations as they are resold on their sites as 'untouched'"

I don't live with my head in the sand...I know this goes on, swap this, swap that...BUT,If I were to buy something from...I don't care from who, and I found out he, or she did this Stuff...without my knowledge...that would be the last time they would get any of my money!!!

You Wrote:
Sure its a hobby based on reputation but after all his guidance based on years of experience I think we ought to cut him slack. IMO

Cut Him slack??? If he in fact he did do this (again not saying he did,but if) he deserves NO SLACK in my book, Most people who I see on this site,and others,DO NOT want a parts dagger,they want it untouched
Id also say maybe 50%(there are alot of real smart people on this site) of these people could tell if it has been Humped up for sale or not. Most people are just looking for a fair shake,and don't want to be screwed over,doing something they really enjoy doing for most its just a hobby.

This is the last post for me on this subject,I really hope he responds to this stuff,and clears his good name. I know he says he does not want to ...but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Good luck whatever you decide to do Houston.

Regards
Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold

C
C
I believe Houston has answered the charges (in his own short, to the point way)by the stolen, unauthorized, altered photos reply. I have purchased many daggers from Houston and always (and still do) feel he is one of the best and most reliable guys to deal with. Charlie

<BR>
G
G
Well, all I can say is that I have known him over 30 years and never knew him to do anything unethical. So, I just don't know what's going on or what to say.

Gailen David

If the situation evolved as was reported on the other forum, the only ones who know for sure what was said are Houston and the other parties present. I wasn’t there, and don’t know what happened beyond what was said on that forum and here.

As for the dagger itself, it does not look to me like the images were altered. And I reached the same conclusion as JR that it was the same dagger in a series of before and after images. With the additional observation that the pommel nut also might have been either replaced, or over torqued. Causing rounded flats/corners seen in two of the post transformation images. FP

Sepp,you wrote:

I don't live with my head in the sand...I know this goes on, swap this, swap that...BUT,If I were to buy something from...I don't care from who, and I found out he, or she did this Stuff...without my knowledge...that would be the last time they would get any of my money!!!

I actually wasn't talking to you specifically. Anyway the fact is you don't know and you've probably unknowingly purchased some pieces that have been altered. Sure if you know stay clear, but in this case (and as you say "If he in fact he did do this (again not saying he did,but if)") you don't know so give him some slack cool

Last edited by Fitzer; 05/20/2011 01:22 AM.
So as I read these discussions, did he get caught doctoring up a dagger or was it error on the collectors part?
Guess most of us won't know, Houston knows!
Buyer beware, as usual in the hobby.

G
G
you got it,,don't trust anybody, any story, any item.....

Gaspare:

Heck, I don't even trust myself. wink

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,489 SS Bayonets
1,760,281 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,758 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (ANTIK-1933, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), The_Collector, Documentalist, Jonesy, Jamesol2, Seppi, Vern, Paul), 489 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod