Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237385 01/15/2011 11:32 PM
OP Offline
I recently sold a NSFK dagger on here. Which has been sent now to a good Russian fella. Before he bought it though I was contacted by a French man named JC who told me he was sending me the money he wanted the dagger. He said he sent the money in cash! I know already seems fishy right, sending $1100.00 overseas in cash. Well when he said he sent the cash he told me I could send the dagger or if I really wanted I could wait for the money. I opted to wait for the money since I didn't know him from Adam. Well over a month the money never arrived. Money I really needed at the time. The whole time I was pestered by this guy as to if I had sent the dagger or whether the money had arrived yet. I finally told him to quit bugging me about it because it is obviously lost or got stolen in the mail. Well he dropped it like that and I haven't heard from him since. It is obvious by his lack of concern of this "lost money" that he never sent the money and was hoping I would send the dagger without yet receiving it. I just thought I post this for a heads up. The guy went by JC and lived or had address in France.

Online Content
Tell us who the guy is and his name and email address.

Dave

OP Offline
Dave,
I know he goes by JC? I have no actually proof of wrong doing so this a more a post to let people know to be vigilant with any sales and make sure unless they really know the person not to send stuff. He could have actually sent money? Only it seems unlikely to me...

France, Like Latvia, has a bad reputation amongst collectors when it comes to buying and selling German items.

P
P
Excsue me ? Where in the world have you heard such a thing ?
Would you be kind enought to share your personal experience.

We are several French collectors on this forum (Jochem, Matarese, Philippe, Pascal, Gerard and myself ) and none of us have ever been involved in any sort of fraud or scam.

Of course, no such things ever happens in North America, jeeeeeeees, I could list you at least 20 names and dealers that have been involved in some kind of fraud over the last 12 months in beautiful Americana.

We can't generalise on things like that.

Pat the Frenchman.

Last edited by Pat; 01/22/2011 04:36 PM.
G
G
"We can't generalise on things like that."

I agree with Pat 100%. Every country has its 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. There are military dealing criminal rings in every country..

France has always had a bad reputation amongst collectors for mail fraud, espc. regarding militaria being 'lost'

Ask around.

Last edited by Doug Kenwright aka; 01/24/2011 04:39 AM.
True, there are crooks everywhere. There does seem to be more of a problem in Europe these days, although North America has nothing to brag about in that regard. One problem is getting authorities involved when fraud or theft is involved. When the victim is from another country, the interest by law enforcement, with few exceptions,is almost non-existent. I've not had a problem out of France, but have had several in other European countries, the US and Canada. I was hit hard several years ago by a thief in Italy. I was advised the Italian authorities only take complaints in person, not by mail, telephone or email. Taking a plane to Italy to file a complaint was a bit beyond me and, probably, nothing would have been done if I had. In other words, Italy appears to be fertile ground for a crook, as long as he stings someone in another country. I still like pizza, though. The "common sense" rules in dealing with foreign sellers and buyers have been around a long time. It's easy to forget them when the item is so desirable and the price is so low. I don't believe bringing up a particular country where problems have been experienced in any way throws a disparaging light on honest collectors and dealers from those countries. The good, the bad, the ugly are all around us.

L
L

Grumpy is indeed correct!

D
D
Originally Posted By: Grumpy
In other words, Italy appears to be fertile ground for a crook, as long as he stings someone in another country. I still like pizza, though.

LOL

P
P

Sorry mate, I've been around for quite a while and I've never heard of read anything on this subject.
I don't mean that Postal frauds does not exist in France and neither do I say that they are more honest but Grumpy summed it up real well.

I sold a dagger to Eric Rader last year and it was stolen at the Pittsburg Post Office. The package returned empty and Eric did his research on his side of the border and it was indeed proven that the dagger had been stolen.
Of course, it would be fair to assume that the the Postal thief in Pittsburg may have some European origins.

My biggest hose job happened with Mr.J.A. Bowman of England 15 + years ago. I had a lawyer involved etc.. And found out the line was long.. I learned allot from that experience.

Last edited by DAMAST; 01/24/2011 08:55 PM.
A
A
I had an expensive dagger stolen in the postal system several years ago. Fortunately my insurance company covered it. IMO: The safest way to ship a dagger is USPS 3 day priority with a signature required.
Jim

Pat is correct, that was a rare USPS blunder. It was obviouly stolen. IMO NEVER send items overseas during a Holiday season as all postal carriers hire temp workers and they don't care! The nice SA dagger was never found.

I know JC and he has paid me cash money via mail for several daggers/ swords. I explained to him this is risky but he always paid and he got his items. He is honest IMO

Last edited by E Rader; 01/25/2011 01:42 PM.
Im afraid i have to agree with Doug, clearly the french have been setting up these shenanigans up since Agincourt (historically accurate picture attached - if you look carefully the chap on the right has already acquired a dagger!!). For the record i have lost one dagger coming from Europe (Strasbourg) and 5 from the US, its all about luck.

agincourt2.jpg (80.55 KB, 323 downloads)

GDC silver member #393
OP Offline
I did more research and I believe the guy sent the money. It was the holiday season. The $1100 was sent on 12/13 right during the heart of holiday season. I believe it was stolen now. I look up the tracking number and it appears that it never made it out of France? I feel bad for him if it was stolen even though I really don't understand sending cash. I sent stuff to most European countries and even the Far East and have never had a problem.

Hello to all.
I just find this thread.

I'm an honnest collector & always paid item I've order.

I usually pay with cash in registered letter. I don't know anything about paypal.

I've send cash in a registered letter for Adam's NSFK knife. I've the post office proof. Problems: cash never arrive. The post office do research in this time. No problems with this transaction: I've send cash, Adam never receive it & never send the dagger... where's the problem???
Sorry again but probably the seller is honest, the buyer is honest, just some postmen are bastard!!!

JC

OP Offline
I wanna apologies to you to JC. I believe that you sent the money. I have never had a problem with the postal service before so I thought that it was never sent. When I look back at the repeated emails I understand now it was only because you had $1100 dollars out in the mail and it was lost. I am sorry for this misunderstanding JC.

Don't understand why you are sending too much money via ordinary registered letter...if you do not want to use bank transfer, western union, PayPal and other payment methods, you just should send money via valuable letter with insurance. Thieves are everywhere it is only matter of time, when something like that happen...

Lukas.

Just to give an end to this story:

Adam receive my payment cash 2 month after I've post it!!!!
Good news!!!

JC

Congratulations! I know you are relieved!

L
L
Matarese, I -like you- do not use paypal. Cash in registered mail is very risky. I use Moneygram. There is a fee but nothing like the rip off western union. oneygram is very safe & the transaction time is typically 10 minutes. The recipient goes to collect the funds with proof of ID and nobody else can know about the transaction. I have used this many times and it will save you a lot of anxiety!

I am pleased this worked out well for you!

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
OP Offline
Yes I will attest that the money made it here little over 2 months after it posted.. It didn't appear to have been tampered with by customs so I guess only God knows why the delay. I am just happy JC got his money back.

Wow, I would have been at wit's end to find out what happened to that money. I'm happy that at least it showed up & JC has been made whole. Very risky indeed to send cash, I've done it a few times before Painpal came around but not recently.

With all it's troubles though, at least Paypal gives some recourse for a buyer provided they use a credit card & do a chargeback in the event of nonreceipt. I'm reluctant to do a bank transfer to someone in another country who I've never conducted business with. Don't get me wrong, I HATE giving Paypal even a cent but there are times it has it's uses.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern), 347 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod