Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi mates, I come to your aid in this Daga SA I saw on the web, I'm interested in it because it is affordable for me, but first wanted the opinion of the experts before doing anything about it, what you view deserves?

Thanks for your comments!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
No opinion on this Daga Sa?

Vassago, The SA dggger you posted is a later RZM type it does have some loss of plating and the blade has lots of wear but dagger looks original to me. My advice to you is be patient save you money and buy the highest quality SA Dagger you can afford. High quality and unique items will always have a buyer if you ever need to sell.You can never go wrong buying quality. wink Best Regards,forton

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Forton thank you very much, I will consider your advice, thank you very much for your opinion, this Daga SA offered me for 385 € and even if I spoke with the seller may have the possibility of lowering the price even me, but naturally I wanted to ask advice before ...

Last edited by Vassago; 12/03/2010 10:14 PM. Reason: Edited to correct.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen this one loves me more than the previous course, but is much more expensive .... But it is beautiful in my opinion ...

What do you think this dagger?

Vassago Your right that SA is a much nicer Dagger its a mid production piece by Carl Eickhorn and it has a nicely marked hanger.I myself collect only early production SAs some of which are posted on this SA Dagger forum.Remember to always buy the highest quality you can afford read all the reference books you can get your hands on and take your time, part of the fun collecting SAs is in the hunt. smile Best Regards, forton

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Forton thank you very much for your answer, the truth is that I like the latter more than the first but it got much more expensive, the first code according to their manufacturing is RZM M7/103 "Josef Hack, Steyr (Ober-Donau) my question would be if the manufacturer is very common or otherwise is a rare manufacturing ...

Greetings!

777 Offline
Well, the manufacturer Josef Hack (RZM 7/103) is for sure rare and the manufacturer Carl Eickhorn (RZM 7/66) is for sure very common, but... In case of RZM daggers the rarity doesn't play a big role. I would definitely take the Eickhorn. Besides much better condition, it is a transitional model (with both factory log and RZM symbol), always more desired than late RZM model.

Originally Posted By: 777
Well, the manufacturer Josef Hack (RZM 7/103) is for sure rare and the manufacturer Carl Eickhorn (RZM 7/66) is for sure very common, but... In case of RZM daggers the rarity doesn't play a big role. I would definitely take the Eickhorn. Besides much better condition, it is a transitional model (with both factory log and RZM symbol), always more desired than late RZM model.

But not as desirable as an early maker SA dagger. Like already said, go for the best conditioned and early maker dagger if possible and you won't be sorry.

H
H
Hola Vassago.
Price is important, but condition more. I think is better to own a good single dagger in a nice condition thna a lot of daggers in poor condition.
You can drop me an message if you want to talk in spanish.

Best

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much colleagues, every day I enter in this post to do with interest your comments, as I have decided to acquire a medium-term SA Dagger and I'm looking for one that will convince me successfully, although I have no hurry, haste is bad advisers, with patient reaches the HJ knife get my first period with his motto in very good condition and I do not regret having purchased in time ...

HAL9000 is a pleasure to chat with a Spanish colleague about our hobby, I will consider your offer ....

Greetings!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Another SA Dagger that just seem to find the first period which might have interesting price, but first I urge the council of elders to give me your opinion, do you think about this dagger?

Greetings!

777 Offline
Most common amongst all early SA daggers - small logo Eickhorn, probably ground Röhm. Scabbard looks repainted. Good original early hanger matches the dagger - that's nice. The crossguards should be marked internally A-R or H-E. The gap beteween grip and upper crossguard doesn't look nice, but maybe it's just the wood shrinkage (I hope). If the price is right you can go for it.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 thank you very much, take into account their views, so many daggers I have ever seen in their views that are extremely important to me before taking any decision ...

Vassago,I would keep looking, That SA has too many problems. the repaint,the blade looks polished,gaps in the handle ect. If you get a high quality un-messed with SA you will be much better off. smile Regards,forton

777 Offline
Originally Posted By: forton
If you get a high quality un-messed with SA you will be much better off.

If money is not the problem, then of course...

I suspect it's a parts dagger, the grip doesn't look like an early Eickhorn and the bottom crossguard doesn't appear to have the typical Eick deep accent grooves.

Red

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I really appreciate your opinions, help me a lot to make this decision so hard for me, so Redbaron SA Dagger that may be a so-called "marriages"with several other pieces of Daggers other articles, apparently at the moment of these three that showed in this post the second is most suitable for a collection, "Carl Eickhorn" transitional period ...

Waiting at least see some more that would interest me too ...

Thanks for your opinions, I am always aware of what comentais, a bad buy me very unhappy, greetings!

Hello, Vasago:

Wait a bit and takes an early dagger with a crossguard from alpaca, far more attractive in my opinion.

Greetings

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Solingen friend I have always considered their views, how all the SA Dagger that I posted the best of all is the transitional model? Right? ... At least until you can see another earliest ...

I think the transitional is the best you have posted.Two months ago I payed $500 US dollars for this early F.Dick SA with the hanger.With the shape the world Economy is in there are deals to be found if you take your time and look around...... :)Merry Christmas and good luck in your Dagger hunt. :)forton

gd1.jpg (50.03 KB, 768 downloads)
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Forton thank you very much, you have a nice SA dagger also wish you a Merry Christmas! smile

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Another Dagger to your opinion, is that this is the handle with a few notches but still I see that your resume is in very good condition besides that Robert Klaas is one of my favorite producers, what do you think of this dagger?

Online Content
About $150 considering the bad blade, cracked grip, oxidizing / scratched crossguards.

Dave

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I think the seller asks for something more Dave ...

777 Offline
150 bucks? The parts alone are worth much more nowadays...
Anyway, Vassago, I don't think this dagger is an interesting offer for a serious collector. This kind of faults is acceptable when one gets very rare early SS for example, but RZM SA? No way, late Klaas daggers are very popular, so it's not hard to find really nice piece for reasonable price.

Last edited by 777; 01/15/2011 03:17 PM.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 thank you very much, for the moment I'm Decat more for the transitional model for Eickhorn I put that seemed the most desirable for a collection, there are so many Daggers SA is sometimes difficult to choose one, thank you all for your opinions and help.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello comrades, I saw this key to the dismantling of the SS Daggers, SA and NSKK for sale in "Original Militaria", what you do you think? Original or copy "?

http://www.original-militaria.com/catalogo/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2622

Thanks for your comments!!

Don't know if it's original but I can tell you that 110Euro for a tool that's bent and abused is crazy.

Don't know if original or copy, but you can buy modern laser made for significant less money, than this one. I think in such thing like this, is not important year of made, but functionality...and this on your site doesn't look much precise.

Lukas.

777 Offline
Forget it, piece of junk.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: lakesidetrader
Don't know if it's original but I can tell you that 110Euro for a tool that's bent and abused is crazy.

Of course I also found it very expensive ... crazy

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Another that might be interesting if the auction gets too high that is currently not before know your opinions of course ...

[img]http://s2.subirimagenes.com/privadas/previo/thump_1642856xvw8umsaqhb513181746.jpg[/img]

Click on the images these are increased, thanks for your opinions!

Hi Vassago, In my personal opinion with Late RZM SA daggers, the only thing that will hold the worth of the dagger would be the crossgrain. The rest of the dagger is worn due to the materials used and age. The crossgrain is not the greatest for this Late SA and I myself would not pay much money for it at all. If you have your heart set on the condition of it and you really like it, I would say do not pay more than $350-400 US at an Auction price! Regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Exactly Siegfried B, if the price exceeds these would pass, while maintaining a good price and always interesting to me when the dagger is 100% original as you assure me, thanks for your appreciation!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello again fellow, I turn back to you again to ask you your opinions on a new SA Dagger that I have seen at auction and if it gets too high the price might be an option for my collection of interesting Daggers long as you have your approval and price does not rise too ...

I appreciate your comments about this particular dagger, thanks and greetings comrades!!

777 Offline
This one is an interesting one. Rare maker (8) and everything looks allright. Crushed ball is not something unusual, so if you can live with it, that's fine.

Last edited by 777; 11/18/2011 06:15 PM.
Agree with 777. That is a beautiful tight grip to crossguard fit. very nice. If you have the opportunity,,try to get it. Good one Vassago!!

Online Content
Now that's a nice dagger

Regards Sean
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys, you do not know the joy you give me, to end the auction still have 12 days and if the price is affordable for me to try to get your blessing, I will tell you things, greetings and thanks!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I just received my Dagger SA Gustav Haker thanks to your advice I decided to buy, despite having the ball in the tip flattened and lack of a screw of the same the rest of this extremely well, from here I want to appeal that if someone could help I would appreciate one,these photos are what I did when I received:

Greetings to all.

P
P
very nice piece. paul

Nice dagger my friend

wink

Last edited by SOLINGEN88; 12/14/2011 10:30 PM.
You did good Vassago!! Very nice!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much everyone for your words my friend Solingen88 to kindly give me a couple of original screws so the dagger to be completed, thank you very much mate!!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello mates, I have seen a transitional SA Dagger with marking "Eickhorn" in an exceptional state for sale, what do they deserve?

There are two versions of the 1938 transitional maker mark by Eickhorn:

This one without the word 'Original' and one with the word 'Original' in the mark above the squirrel.

Recently, one like the one you show here without the word 'Original', in NM condition, was listed on Tom Wittmans's site for something like 1,100 or 1,200.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Johnz Thanks for your reply, also found a picture of a manufacturing transitional "Eickhorn" also without the original squirrel over the year 1939, are both true and genuine?

A greeting!

Online Content
I would buy that at the drop of a hat very nice

Regards Sean
Vassago:

A while back there was some discussion and dispute about the no 'Original' TMs. The end result of that, if I remember correctly, is that these are fine.

I have the 1938 version both with and without 'Original' and would buy the 1939 version if I ever saw it.

I think that both versions are original, i fyou will pardon the pun.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
J
J
I'm highly surprised by the condition ! super find in deed.
thank you for showing us .
jeff

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Vassago
Hello mates, I have seen a transitional SA Dagger with marking "Eickhorn" in an exceptional state for sale, what do they deserve?

So understand that this is completely original SA Dagger? Do you not see any point of danger?

R.R Offline
I agree with John, for me both TMs are periode done too. Nice find Vassago.

Regards,

Ricardo

Regards,

Ricardo
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your responses, I have also seen an SA Daggers screw the seller says it is 900 mil silver although I recognize that it will be difficult to recognize if original vintage or not, this screw can be original era?

As always thanks for your answers.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, I turn to you again to ask for your opinion on a hanger in a SA Dagger that I have been offered for sale, do you think the original time? I appreciate your comments.

777 Offline
Fake. Made in Czech.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Are you serious 777 or tell me a joke?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Please explain your reasoning, but did you review?

777 Offline
Are you serious 777 or tell me a joke?

I'm dead serious, mate. I know these hangers, saw them being sold at half of the price of the originals at the militaria show in Prag. I remember hanger like this listed on ebay few years ago, as copy. There used to be discussion about these hangers here on GDC some time ago, and I posted the link as a proof.
The easiest way is always compare the clip with original - they do look different smile.

Last edited by 777; 02/26/2012 02:10 PM.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok 777, as I saw seals more or less the correct saw even its RZM DRGM and I miss your answer and between originals are always differences, what you seen any critical point for sentencing? Thanks for your reply.

777 Offline
Check these two originals from my collection pictured below. You have a pair of eyes, so you'll notice the difference in "A" and DRGM shape between these two and the Czech clip. The originals differ from each other, sure, but the fake hanger (including the marked leather)is known to me. I had a chance to keep it in my hand. The thickness and overall appearance is so much different than thickness and overall appearance of originals. I hope you feel convinced now.

assmann clips.jpg (112.23 KB, 381 downloads)
Last edited by 777; 02/26/2012 04:13 PM.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 I am very grateful, especially for his reasoning convinced me completely, thank you very much for your explanation and your image to illustrate the post, so naturally and I do not care about your purchase, thank you very much for your message, a greeting! !

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, I turn again to you to tell you that I have seen a SA Dagger without markup at a reasonable price, but as always I would like your advice and opinion and ask a question by step if anyone you know, what that period are the daggers SA without manufacturing manufacturer? Are the third period? As always thank you very much for your attention and comments.

[img]http://s2.subirimagenes.com/privadas/previo/thump_18116063037367610032125.jpg[/img][img]http://s3.subirimagenes.com:81/privadas/previo/thump_18116073037367610032135.jpg[/img][img]http://s3.subirimagenes.com:81/privadas/previo/thump_18116073037367610032135.jpg[/img]

Clicking on these images are increased.

777 Offline
Looks like Helbig. The crossguards look thicker and made of cast iron. Why it doesn't have a makers mark?? Strange, since it's not an early ground Röhm. I don't think everything's OK with that piece, wouldn't go for it if I were you.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply 777, I too have wondered why no labeling of manufacture but what if there were no Daggers SA is not marking as if there was such Daggers of the Heer, who have seen these if the original plate without time ....

If anyone has any knowledge of SA Daggers without marking it would be appreciated, all comments are welcome, I'm interested to know your opinion on that dagger in particular thanks for your comment 777 ...

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Looks like Helbig. The crossguards look thicker and made of cast iron. Why it doesn't have a makers mark?? Strange, since it's not an early ground Röhm. I don't think everything's OK with that piece, wouldn't go for it if I were you.

Another thing that caught my attention is that you mention that the fittings are cast iron, never had heard that could make iron fittings at the time, is this so?

777 Offline
Actually the only daggers with cast iron fittings I know are RZM Helbigs and these are very controversial. You can find them at serious dealers sites being sold as originals, but in opinion of some respectable long time collectors (e.g.Ron Weinand) they are post war Atwood product. There is one SS RZM Helbig presented in Wittmann Vol.IV and is described as an original piece. I handled couple of NSKK's Helbigs and I must say they looked decades old, no doubt about it, but if really Atwood "made" them (using many original parts), it was long time ago, so they are naturally aged.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
So it is possible that this is postwar SA Dagger? Or it may be an RZM M7/163 E. & A. Helbig, Steinbach, period? That certainly know that this manufacturing cast iron fittings manufactured ...

I am pleasantly surprised by their knowledge, I appreciate all your answers ...

777 Offline
It's 7/73 F.u A. Helbig (brand name "Gaefler"), that is associated with cast iron crossguards, but I think the blade is not original to this dagger. Helbig etchings are very low quality, and here we can observe normal type etching, so I assume the blade belonged once to a ground Röhm dagger and whole item is a parts dagger.

Just one correction to my previous post: the SS Helbig dagger pictured in Wittmann Vol.IV is a transitional model.

B
B
Over the years I have seen a very few SS-M36 service daggers with the Type I chain-set and having iron guards. I noted the tang marking on the three blades I have owned as being the 7 interlinked circles emblem occasionally seen on SS dagger blade tangs. I think there is a picture of such a SS-M36 service dagger in the Wittmann book, page 157 upper left. Wittmann does not state iron guards but describes the shape of the lower guard accurately, the dagger pictured has the characteristic profile of the lower guard found on these "iron" M36's. Overall, the build quality and finish of these "iron" M36 daggers is very impressive, imho.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I asked the seller if a magnet sticks in their garrisons and actually that's right, the magnet sticks, also said they were coated with zinc as the coating remains are still in them ....

The question is what for you the Dagger is original? Is it worth acquiring?

777 Do I understand then that the manufacturer referred to is the M7 / 73 Fu. A. Helbing, Steinbach?

777 Offline
Yes, the company is F.u A.Helbig (not "Helbing") from Steinbach in Thuringia.
Actually I don't think the dagger is worth aquiring (unless very cheap). To me it's a parts dagger in mediocre condition.
Nothing for my colection anyway.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 Thanks for your response, thank you very much ...

In my listing of RZM M7/73 appears as Helbig Helbing and not the list but could be wrong ...

Regarding the dagger is that this very well priced and is a temptation, if I'm considering buying the original ...

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, once again I am writing to request your opinion on a Dagger NSKK apparently is in a very good, what is your opinion about this dagger?

Clicking on the images enlarged.

P
P
looks great to me. paul

777 Offline
No problems here, my friend.

Online Content
Looks like a very nice original dagger to me, i would buy it no hesitation

Regards Sean
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much for your opinions fellow, this dagger is one that I have potential for purchase, see if you encouraged me and make an offer to the seller ....

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellow, a Marine SA Dagger unsheathed at an attractive price, what do you think of this piece?

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/21c86kk.jpg[/img]

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
More images ...

What do you think of this dagger? ... A greeting!!

777 Offline
I am sure the blade has postwar etchings. Besides, the grip doesn't convince me at all. Obviously the handle and crossguard look old but they don't look like they got old together, if you know what I mean. Where is the SA Gruppe stamp on the crossguard???I would let this junk parts dagger go with no remorse.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 thank you very much for your reasoning, take this into account, if this is so I'll let her go ... A greeting!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
An interesting early SA Dagger for sale, so I have not recorded in your district GAU bottom trim, in very good condition, what do I deserve this dagger?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
More pictures from the same dagger:

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Dagger saying this? Thanks for all your comments ...

777 Offline
Sorry, it's a parts dagger.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks 777, I had made this dagger illusions, the truth is that it is very nice ...

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen this NSKK Dagger for sale but before and I always want to know the opinion of the experts, what do you think this dagger?

I appreciate all your comments and opinions.

777 Offline
Where do you find all those messed up, parts daggers?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
He believes that this dagger is made up of parts of other daggers?

777 Offline
Exactly that's what he believes. Crossguards look aluminium, no SA-Gruppe mark, postwar painted scabbard, blade polished with some paint(?) remains inside of motto and logo... do we need any other bservations to make a judgement?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
777 Thanks for your reply, then is not a dagger is recommended for a collection?

777 Offline
Depends what kind of collection, at least not for a serious collection. I would not only like it in my collection, but I would be ashamed to offer it for sale as a genuine piece.

Its amazing the extent someone will go through,,to alter or add to a dagger for resale. Sometimes we take a second look at a dagger to make sure of its authenticity,,, this one draws only a half a look see,, and no hands. Thanks for posting this Vassago.,, it is another tool for discerning,, for the new collector smile Regards Larry

S
S
I agree with Erich, when I was amassing my 120+ SA/NSKK daggers I did not concern myself too much with condition overall. I did rate rarity over condition in a lot of cases. So for a common maker it would be condition and the rarer ones I would take what I found and hope for a possible upgrade later.

If a maker only made 1000 daggers and I own one then I count that a bonus even if it looks a little tatty.

I have to say that I do like the RZM daggers as well. Just because a RARER maker used a number instead of a MM does not detract form it being uncommon, in this case though condition is a must. I also always try and buy the transitional daggers, they are also not common.

Happy collecting

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much everyone for your explanations and opinions, is a Dagger who fails to pass, luckily always ask your advice before you decide to purchase, the hunt continues .... smile

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, another Dagger SA I've seen for sale, but before his advice ...

I appreciate your comments, greetings!

Online Content
No, not that one either.

Fake portepee

Fake Rohm Signature IMO .. but I'll leave that to experts

Questionable grip eagle

777 Offline
Well, the handle is not Aesculap handle (wrong shape, no usual varnish coating), Röhm daggers have small logo and here we see regular large logo... I don't think there is a need to discuss the dedication if two big red flags can be seen from the start.
BTW. Even if the protepee is a post war addition I like the way it looks, I mean someone was very creative putting the SA symbol inside the acorn smile

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I do not care if the acorn is not original at the time, but what if you want to know for sure is if this dagger is totally original before you buy ...

777 Offline
Totally... parts dagger with post war added dedication, that's what it is.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Bone Dagger is the original but the dedicatory inscription of Ernst Röhm's postwar ... crazy

With some of the later macro shots that I got with one example of the “H” daggers I could see multiple “nibbles” by the high speed rotary cutter that was used to carve the letters out of steel. With the example here the bottom of the inscription is obscured, but where the two arrows are they have the same (half) round profile of a cutter - needing a little closer look to confirm. FP

fake Rohm inscrip.jpg (122.54 KB, 289 downloads)
R
RFI Offline
R
Gee Fred,
I am glad you are not a Dr. because with your record you would have massive malpractice suits against you for your "guessed" diagnostic abilities.
Before you ask, it looks to be acid etched. As far as I can see it is just discoloration or "if in fact" it is a defect in the etch, most likely a defect in the template.
Since you can never be wrong I am sure you will have a response but, my record is far better then your school of witchcraft.
Happy New Year!
Bob

Originally Posted By: RFI
Gee Fred,
I am glad you are not a Dr. because with your record you would have massive malpractice suits against you for your "guessed" diagnostic abilities.
Before you ask, it looks to be acid etched. As far as I can see it is just discoloration or "if in fact" it is a defect in the etch, most likely a defect in the template.
Since you can never be wrong I am sure you will have a response but, my record is far better then your school of witchcraft.
Happy New Year!
Bob

Bob, That was a tentative "diagnosis". Let me see if I do a better with job with a smaller version of this one, and find some pictures after lunch. Fred

R
RFI Offline
R
Fred,
My point I keep trying to make to you is, if you are not certain of what you are saying, don't say it. Wait until you have sufficient information before you comment on something, please? This is what I keep telling you is damaging tot he hobby. New people do not know who to listen to, speak of facts and not, "I think so".
Please????
Bob

Originally Posted By: RFI
Gee Fred,
Happy New Year!
Bob

Bob, There are a number of dealers who keep on selling questionable merchandise that are guessing all the time, or trusting in the "story" they were told, or the "expertise" of guys (past and present) who don't have a clue of how things are made. Or if some guy was just passing on what he was told with no specific knowledge. Which is not to say that a particular individual might be doing it all the time, or can't always tell a good item, or if their is information is bad - it just depends on the source and what it is. Likewise, an independent analysis (free of commercial self interest) can err if the lighting is bad, or a mistake made, etc. etc. But at least there is no price tag attached, and guys can look at what is presented and accept or discard the information as it pleases them.

I won't for the moment be addressing just what you think constitutes a "school of witchcraft" or "track record". Instead posting what I hope is a little better image of the dagger inscription in question. Showing two (admittedly not well defined) 'half moon' outlines which is why I said what I did - adding that confirmation is needed. So I'm waiting to have your explanation/expertise as to why this 'snippet' of this example of a "Hühnlein" dagger blade looks like it does. Fred

inscription 2.jpg (25.38 KB, 251 downloads)
H dagger mech engraving.jpg (28.37 KB, 250 downloads)
R
RFI Offline
R
Fred,
I agree with you on "some" dealers. But your analysis is just as bad as theirs at times. "sometimes" you have good ideas, other times you really are clueless. If you have not noticed, I think more people know of your knowledge level then previously
Bob

I
I

Sorry, but I would disagree slightly.

This dagger was offered on a German auction site a few days ago and I have requestd from the seller additional photos.

According to all available photos the dagger itself seems to be ok, only the lacquer of the grip has been removed. I have a very similar example in my collection. I would therefore say that the dagger itself is an original Aesculap SA, not a parts dagger.

The Röhm dedication is clearly faked. No doubt about that. Wrong makers mark and missing details / wrong details in the etching compared to an original dedication.

Anyhow, another dagger spoiled. Too bad!

Last edited by ivbaust; 01/01/2013 10:50 PM.
Originally Posted By: ivbaust
.................. The Röhm dedication is clearly faked. No doubt about that. Wrong makers mark and missing details / wrong details in the etching compared to an original dedication.

Bob, I was not the first. Nor it seems am I the only one who has said that the inscription on this dagger has "problems". So I have to assume that the “damage” that was made to the collecting hobby that you were talking about was my proposing a theory of how it might have been done.

“With some of the later macro shots that I got with one example of the “H” daggers I could see multiple “nibbles” by the high speed rotary cutter that was used to carve the letters out of steel. With the example here the bottom of the inscription is obscured, but where the two arrows are they have the same (half) round profile of a cutter - needing a little closer look to confirm.”

So at a minimum in my estimation there was at least an effort to mitigate my negative opinion by including: “.......but where the two arrows are they have the same (half) round profile of a cutter - needing a little closer look to confirm.” So I would think that it was clear that what I said was that it was a tentative conclusion that needed to be followed up with much better images (which seems to be a recurring event in various and sundry discussions).

To further this aspect of the discussion, here are a few additional macro images (not the best, but still usable IMO) that show what appears to me to not be acid etching - but the work of a rotary cutter (such as something like a Dremel Tool) that seems to have been done freehand. So if you would be so kind as to show me where my “diagnostic” abilities are in error, I am ready to be corrected. PS: Because the overall file sizes of the images I have are so large, I’ve had break them down to a smaller size to make them compatible with the forum. Fred

H dagger mech engrav 2.jpg (42.05 KB, 321 downloads)
H dagger mech engrav 3.jpg (41.96 KB, 321 downloads)
R
RFI Offline
R
I am not arguing the piece, just your methods of deduction.
Bob

777 Offline
Fred, did you ever worked with rotary cutter like Dremmel etc.?
I did, many times (not on blades, of course grin ) and I can tell you these letters don't look to me to be done with any rotary cutter and the mysterious "halfmoon" might be caused by template's fault.

777 Offline
Originally Posted By: ivbaust

Sorry, but I would disagree slightly.

This dagger was offered on a German auction site a few days ago and I have requestd from the seller additional photos.

According to all available photos the dagger itself seems to be ok, only the lacquer of the grip has been removed. I have a very similar example in my collection. I would therefore say that the dagger itself is an original Aesculap SA, not a parts dagger.

The Röhm dedication is clearly faked. No doubt about that. Wrong makers mark and missing details / wrong details in the etching compared to an original dedication.

I know you're a big fan of Aesculaps and have a nice collection of them, but don't you agree the Aesculap daggers are very special and the same as HACO's or Suhl daggers can be recognized immediately just by the grip shape? All 100% genuine Aesculaps I came across used to have that special grip (you know what I'm talking about). Yes, the laquer could be removed, but the shape stays the same, doesn't it? If one of many of your Aesculaps daggers has also such "atypical" grip then fine, but ask yourself if you would bet your house on originality of its configuration???
I'm trying to keep my collection 100% genuine and free from questionable items, but unless the item is a "barnyard find" of my own or clearly untouched "texbook" piece I will never be able to know what was happening to it during the last 70 years.

Fred, did you ever worked with rotary cutter like Dremmel etc.?
I did, many times (not on blades, of course grin ) and I can tell you these letters don't look to me to be done with any rotary cutter and the mysterious "halfmoon" might be caused by template's fault.

777, I have multiple rotary cutting machines, including an older version of a Dremel Tool that I acquired a long time ago that I favor over a newer version that I have. And at the level of image resolution that was posted I really can’t say for sure one way or another exactly how the inscription was applied. However I agree with you that a template was most likely used for the dagger here, and the fault could be with it. But the template I have in mind is the kind used with pantograph engravers which come in all different sizes. From ‘industrial size‘ all the way down to jewelers, sign shops, and the ‘hobby’ types. They are also very easy to build and adapt to a Dremel Tool or one of its clones. Regards, Fred

PS: Attached is one of the other images with a couple of areas of interest that IMO should also be looked at very closeup.

oqccgi - 2.jpg (40.13 KB, 276 downloads)
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Very interesting your insights, so learn all that is at last within our intention, however I do not think Ernst Röhm inscription was made ​​with a dremel machine, if it had been the result would have been much more aggressive with the blade and not what it seems ...

Very interesting your insights, so learn all that is at last within our intention, however I do not think Ernst Röhm inscription was made ​​with a dremel machine, if it had been the result would have been much more aggressive with the blade and not what it seems ...

Almost 80 years ago as more of a publicity stunt than a practical application, a U.S. company using one of its pantograph engravers took a two inch diameter 300 character text template and reduced it to .005 of an inch with a letter height of .0002 of an inch. A reduction ratio of 400 to 1. With my point simply being that the accuracy of any kind of a rotary cutter is more dependent on what is controlling its movement - rather than on the mechanism that is actually spinning the cutter. FP

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, once again I am writing to request your opinion on a Dagger NSKK apparently is in a very good, what is your opinion about this dagger?

Clicking on the images enlarged.

Thank you very much to all for your help, after looking at several Daggers to buy I think I will decide for this, which apparently has all warranties of originality total, but before making an offer to the seller I would like you to tell me for sure that this is original NSKK Dagger 100%, thanks for your help.

Did this NSKK Dagger is totally original, period?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
I can make you an offer? Peacefully to the seller for this NSKK Dagger?

Clicking on the images enlarged

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
After that I made sure that the Dagger was 100% original I made an offer to the seller and the acquired .... smile

Here some pictures once I get home.

Thanks for helping me decide to buy this Dagger, a greeting!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, I turn to you again and hear your opinions on this Puma SA Dagger ... Is it completely original?

Thanks for your help and comments.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello friends, no review for this item?

A couple things my friend.
The maker mark looks funky but I suspect it`s your resizer program.
The picture of the upper crossguard shows less than ideal fits between the wood and the crossguard. It`s been apart for sure, if ever given a choice, go for a virgin piece.
Also the nut appears to be a different material than the crossguard, normally the matterial are the same. Ie a nickel nut with a nickel crossguard and plated nut with plated crossguards.
Hope that helps some.

Paul has nailed it, very insightfull !!!

Urban B Martinez Jr
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Paul for your answer, helped me a lot ...

One other thing Vas. In my experience 99% of transitionals do NOT have a gau stamp.
Good luck! smile

Last edited by lakesidetrader; 02/25/2013 05:41 PM.
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellow, I found a NSKK Dagger in a not very good state but at a very interesting, this at auction now at a relatively affordable, but first I want to know the opinions of fellow collectors, the legend of the dagger barely you can also see your code or seal manufacturing, maybe some comrade can identify its manufacturer just by looking at the images of the Dagger, besides that, the whole of the Dagger is original, period? Thank you for your feedback.

777 Offline
Sure it's original, but the condition is very poor. The blade is a junk.

Online Content
Why would you buy that its junk

Regards Sean
2nd one has many obvious flaws but is still a legit historical item, so it depends on price.
Probably worth about $200 USD, anything less I would hop all over it, more I would pass.

Doug
S
S
In today's market you need to give away this type of dagger when you sell it.
You also can't put anything next to it as it will pull that down also. Truly a dagger a collector can not afford to have.

serge

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
For if in the auction exceed that $ 200 USD is no longer an interesting Dagger for purchase, as I say only this dagger could be interesting in this condition so if the price is quite low, even so one is always clear by looking at other examples. .. I appreciate your comments and help.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello mates, I have seen a new Daga SA for sale but before deciding anything let me know your opinion on the matter, is it 100% original?

As always thank you for all your help, kind regards!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
More pictures from the same dagger uncensored, is completely original?

itvseems a good sa dagger with tiger wood(?)...scabbard is not in tha same good conditions but i don t see red flags smile

777 Offline
Very nice tiger stripes smile Too bad the wood around insignia is damaged, looks like someone tried to take them out. It's also possible that original insignia were removed once and new set has been put in the handle. Otherwise dagger looks original.

Online Content
I agree it looks like replacement insignia

Regards Sean
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I also think that their badges were replaced at the time by other originals, but as long as all 100% original I'm not worried, if the price is very good might consider it for future acquisition has provided no red flags.

Also I find it interesting to be in the early period.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello mates, a new SA Dagger to your verdict before deciding to purchase or better to keep the money, apparently on this occasion is an SA dagger with engraved dedication Röhm removed, what do you think about that? Is it completely original vintage?

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/devdox.jpg[/img]

I appreciate your comments and help.:)

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
This dagger has a price of 570 €, is a fair price?

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Well forgetting and last Daga Sa've seen one that could shuffle in a possible future purchase, it is an SA dagger late period and second marks its code RZM belongs to the manufacture of "Robert Klaas" but of course first of all as I always prefer to hear your opinion on this Dagger specifically, do you see any red flags in this piece?

At the moment I only have these 4 images of the dagger, I hope they are sufficient for your appreciation, I appreciate your comments and tips I have always in mind for my decisions, sincerely.

Online Content
Not the best of photos, but I see no problems. RZM Robert Klass

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave thank you very much for your opinion, that would help me in my decision and the possibility to acquire.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Dave, just make an offer to the seller about this Dagger specifically try our luck, we'll keep you updated, thanks for your help.

Online Content
Happy to help out, Vassago.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, this post got it for future decisions and way better than listening to the opinions of my fellow experts in the subject and more experienced than me, I offered this early Daga SA maybe I can accept my bid for it, but first I must have your approval before deciding which course the seller will accept my offer other times maybe was not so lucky in previous transactions, is this Daga SA is completely original period? Do you see red flags here?

Thank you for your feedback. smile

Scabbard looks to be RZM vintage to me...

Online Content
I agree the scabbard looks way to late for the dagger

Regards Sean
Online Content
Agree. RZM scabbard in very poor shape. The dagger is not much either, except for a nice trademark.

Dave

This dagger has seen better times however it's still a nice piece to have. Yes, the scabbard is not original to this early daggers and is RZM.

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks mates, I would not have imagined that this early Daga had a RZM pod, thank you very much for your help, then I will continue in my quest because that thing disagree with the dagger does not convince me, thank you very much and may soon you will teach another example for your analysis.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Another early Daga SA but in this case the seller has just given me these 2 images, hope they are enough for you to review.

How about this example? Thank you very much everyone.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies , I have been offered this Daga SA of early period to incorporate it into my collection of daggers , in principle I do not see any problem, also I see belongs to the manufacture of " Undine , Solingen " which is a pretty unusual manufacturer to find anyway i want to show it to you as always before taking any decision wrong purchase , do you see red flags here?

I appreciate all your comments and help on this Dagger , thank you very much everyone.

777 Offline
No problems here.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you very much for your reply 777, he makes an offer to the seller, to see if we reach an agreement , I appreciate your help. smile

Online Content
No red flags and a scarce maker

Regards Sean
Yup,a nice piece from a rare maker.

Gruess,

PF

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you very much companions , the seller has accepted my offer to purchase, if all goes well maybe in a week and be in my collection , of course, will show in this thread with own photographs once received, I will keep you posted , thank you for your help decide. smile

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi buddies, thanks to your opinions and comments on this Dagger with manufacturing, "Kuno Meisenburg (Undine), Solingen" I decided to buy everything in it to its manufacturing matches, including his Reichsgau district later garrison back "Ho" belonging to the region of "Hochland (Highlands)" in Munich, then the images of the dagger once received this morning:

The Reichsgau "Ho", here's a link where corroborate their correct configuration with respect to its manufacture: http://www.dg.de/de/hersteller/Meisenburg-Kuno-UNDINE-Solingen

Thanks again, without your support I would not have chosen, sincerely friends.

Online Content
Good decision. Nice dagger

Regards Sean
Looks way better with that red background! Nice catch!

Gruess,

PF

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Seany thank you very much !!! smile

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Panzerfaust
Looks way better with that red background! Nice catch!

Gruess,

PF

Panzerfaust So certainly with red background are best seen its details, I think a good example of early Daga SA. smile

It sure is brother!

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello colleagues, a new Daga SA has been put in my way due to its price and could be incorporated into my collection, but as always I would like to know the opinion of you who are more knowledgeable than me before making any purchase decision, Do you see red flags here? Thank you in advance for your comments and help.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
One more image of the same Dagger:

[Linked Image]

A cordial greeting.

777 Offline
No red flags here. Good E.P.& S.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much 777 for your help.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much 777, for your help I have decided to buy this Daga SA, I show you my Dagger (to you and all the comrades of the forum) recently received, I took pictures once I got home:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks mate. smile

E
E
Nice dagger. Thanks for sharing.

Glenn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,531 SS Bayonets
1,762,003 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,958 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Dave, Nietzsche, seany, Documentalist, ado, stingray, Stirnpanzer, den70, Hannes Hentschel, Vern, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Evgeniy, Jareth Holub), 407 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod