Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#228230 09/15/2010 04:28 AM
OP Online Content
This is a thread I've wanted to start for a long time now but never got around to it. Last night while enjoying some insomnia, I thought about finally getting down to brass tacks as it were. I've long had a love affair with the Fire Official's dagger & have collected them for over 10 years. Please feel free to post your own examples as I hope this thread to be not only a treat for the eyes but an education for some of the newer collectors considering such daggers for their collection.

One reason I've found them fascinating is the longevity of this specific dagger's form. With the exception of the German Naval dagger, I would say the German Fire Official's dagger has to be the longest, consistently used German sidearm. According to Tom Wittmann & Tom Johnson's fine tome "Collecting the Edged Weapons of Imperial Germany, Volume 1", the Royal Preussen Fire Department introduced edged weapons for wear around 1850 which is quite some time ago. There is a general assumption that officials from the other states authorized the practice in their respective departments subsequently.

Another interesting fact about the Fire Official's dagger, during the NS zeit, it was one of the few dagger types that did not incorporate a swaz in any part of the daggers produced during that era. We also know that Eickhorn produced this model dagger until the firm closed it's doors in the 1970's which is one of the reasons these daggers, at least those produced by Eickhorn, can be somewhat problematic when attempting to determine whether a dagger was produced pre 1945 or post 1945. But I'll get to that in a later post.

Most often seen are the Fire Official's daggers from the Imperial & Weimar era. Many such daggers were produced in this time period & were carried by career fire officers during their entire tenure which often stretched into the 3R. This was possible since the actual form of the dagger changed little. One thing that did seem to change between the Imperial period & the 3R was the length of the dagger blades. It seems the lengthy dagger blades were somewhat awkward which made them unpopular with officers so as time went on, blade lengths got shorter. When you hold one of these long daggers in hand, you come to the realization that a shorter blade made things a whole lot better.

Most Fire Official's daggers were produced by the two big boys on the dagger block, Eickhorn & WK&C, soon to become WKC. Besides differences in blade etches, each producer had a somewhat different hilt configuration which was synonymous with them. Eickhorn's pommel resembled a doorknob, for lack of a better term & the quillion arm ends resembled cloverleaves. WKC was more known for it's "flaming pommel" which was also used on Naval daggers of the same period. The ends of WKC's quillion arms resembled spear points.

This dagger was my first Fire Official's dagger & I suppose it's fitting that it's one of the more recognizable models. This fine dagger was produced by Eickhorn & was assigned model # 42 in the 1908 Eickhorn sales catalogue. As you can see, it's hilt is classic Eickhorn. I passed by many examples before this one quite literally fell into my lap courtesy of the BCN's Jack Schraeder & I am most grateful for that. The condition is just super & as you can see, this dagger was not overpolished by it's original owner or the vet who brought it back to the US. The hilt retains much of it's original lacquer. The blade alone is an astounding 19" in length which makes for an unwieldy piece considering that the hanger loops are so close together.

Obverse 3.JPG (104.64 KB, 349 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a shot of the blade obverse. The blade is really minty, particularly for something this old. Just a couple of age spots to keep it from being completely mint. That red felt blade buffer really did it's job. Note the recurrent theme of a ladder on the blade.

Blade Obverse.JPG (108.12 KB, 347 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a shot of the blade's reverse, also as nice as the obverse. Note the etch includes a pike, a fire axe & a hose, Fire Department motifs that have changed little for 150 years.

Blade Reverse.JPG (94.78 KB, 344 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a better shot of the dagger's grip which is covered in black leather covered by a wire grip wrap. You can get a better idea for the typical Eickhorn doorknob pommel in this shot too. I'm a sucker for tang markings but sadly this pommel is peened over & it is unremoveable as so many from this period are.

You can also see the Eickhorn maker mark of two back to back squirrels. I believe this particular mark dates from the early 1900's right into the early 1920's. As is not often seen, the mark is deeply & fully struck.

Many of the post 1945 Fire Official's daggers by Eickhorn will show the '35-'41 maker mark however that mark will be etched instead of stamped. It will also be upside down in that the squirrel's rear end will be toward the crossguard on post 1945 pieces & facing away from the crossguard on pre 1945 pieces. I've read also that post 1945 Fire Official's daggers have also been seen with the single oval Eickhorn mark & the back to back squirrel mark as well.

Eickhorn Maker's Mark.JPG (112.61 KB, 344 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
The scabbards on these daggers is black leather which was, because of material & overall length, particularly susceptible to bending. This piece, however has no such issues. Someone must have been quite careful with it all those years ago.

The fittings, like the hilts, were available in either a silver or a gilt finish. Despite the look in the pictures, this dagger is a silver example. This is a shot of the lower scabbard drag which is quite plain in appearance. The scabbard fittings were retained by means of staples similar to some 3R daggers & Police bayonet scabbard fittings.

P1080031.JPG (78.04 KB, 340 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
A better shot of the dagger's obverse inside the scabbard. This model Fire Official's daggers present a very plain picture which departs radically from some examples I'll post in the future. For now, I wanted to show something more recognizable to collectors & where it all started for me.

Obverse 4.JPG (111.39 KB, 337 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Billy,

Bravo!

B~

Billy:

Great applause! What a great example.. and research.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
OP Online Content
Gentlemen,

Many thanks, there's much more on the way grin

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
P
P
excellent-more please!
P

FUR EHR' UND PFLICHT BIS HERZ UND KLINGE BRICHT
V
V
Billy great dagger I'll try and get some pictures of my Eickhorn dagger paul

Very interesting thread, I am curious what is coming next. Thank you for care and for showing.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
V
V
Billy my Eickhorn Fire officer paul

eick6.jpg (31.32 KB, 257 downloads)
eick5.jpg (25.23 KB, 256 downloads)
eick4.jpg (12.87 KB, 258 downloads)
eick3.jpg (11.35 KB, 254 downloads)
Eick1.jpg (15.29 KB, 257 downloads)
OP Online Content
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the comments. This is something I've contemplated for a while, primarily so we can educate each other & as a vehicle for us to show off some beautiful but somewhat lesser seen daggers. The Fire Official's dagger isn't a sexy as an SS or SA dagger but they do have a lot going for them. They're also rarer when you consider how many decent fire pieces there are out there. Not that many IMHO but they don't garner the attention or asking prices of the others so I guess I should be thankful for something.

Paul,

Many thanks for posting your beautiful single oval Eick, it really looks like a pristine example. Note the relatively short blade, I would say it's around 12" or thereabouts? This one could easily have been carried into the 3R era which adds interest as well.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
This is another Imperial Fire Official's dagger although the form is completely different from the preceding one. Although scarce in general, this model can be found on dealers' sites & certainly on Eban from time to time. They generally don't reach super heights in price which is nice & allows the collector to cherry pick a more clean piece without breaking the bank. That said, it's sometimes tough to find this model in collectible condition. I looked for a long time to find a clean one, only to have 3 fall from the trees within the same month. Just the way it goes sometimes wink

One particular feature of this model Fire Official's dagger is that it is usually seen with a sawback blade, something that will tickle most blade collectors. Anyone collecting 3R fire bayonets will love that facet as most will agree that the cream of the crop of those bayonets have the sawback blades. The prevailing notion behind the sawback blade has to do with the fireman's task of having to cut through flaming timbers, to douse the flames & potentially save a life.

Both Eickhorn & WKC manufactured this type of dagger although this particular one was produced by WKC's presecessor WK&C, Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie. This dagger was model #108 in WK&C's dagger catalogue. The similar model produced by Eickhorn had model #743. Oddly enough, this company is still in operation & still producing daggers of yesteryear's design, albeit with today's lesser quality.
http://www.wkc-collection.de/english/50marine.html

The parts on this dagger are well made & well fitted, the piece is heavier in hand that it would appear. As you can see, the hilt design is rather devoid of detail. This is a very utilitarian piece. At least from the outside that is.

1.JPG (75.23 KB, 245 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
The scabbard on this model is similar to most Fire Official's daggers consisting of black leather stitched in the rear. The fittings are then stapled to the scabbard body much the same way they were to Polizei bayonet scabbards. These scabbards were prone to bending & many today show evidence of previous bends. This one, happily, has no such damage.

You can see how the hanger ring placement is different on this model than it is on the more frequently seen model previously posted. The rings here are spaced wider allowing the wearer a little more control over the hanging weapon. The fittings on this model may appear gilt but they are silver.

This purchasor of this model Fire Official's dagger (both WKC & Eickhorn) had the option of using hanger loops affixed to the scabbard or suspending the dagger by means of a frog lug, similar to a bayonet. In my experience, those examples with the frog lug may be slightly scarcer to find but still out there.

2.JPG (85.52 KB, 244 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
The pommel is relatively plain, almost resembling that of a hirschfanger. It is peened over & sadly it is not possible to remove the pommel for a view at the blade tang.

3.JPG (44.14 KB, 239 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
The scabbard drag is similar to the Eickhorn dagger posted earlier in it's clean, simple lines. The only difference here is that WK&C (& WKC) was known for it's scalloped edges on scabbard fittings & this one shows the subtle detail. This can also be seen on Polizei bayonet scabbards produced by WKC.

4.JPG (87.17 KB, 238 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Finally to the blade. Here is a view of the reverse ricasso showing the king & knight mark of WK&C, dating this piece to I believe pre-Imperial & the Imperial time.

The grip is fairly plain compared with other Fire Official models & made of a black wood. I'd love to say it's ebony but it doesn't seem as prone to drying/cracking as the ebony of SS dagger grips so I would think it's something else. This grip shows some dings & slight scuffs commensurate with modest period wear.

The blade shows a quite nasty sawbacl blade. But what else is that in the picture?

5.JPG (66.5 KB, 238 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
This model sports an etched blade. Most of us are used to seeing Fire Official's daggers with etched blades but an etched blade on this model is somewhat of a rarity. They are, almost always, seen with a long sawback blade devoid of etch. This one is an exception which was the reason, including the overall condition, that it found it's way to me.

The etch is typical of WK&C/WKC & shows a military motif showing cannons, swords & shields, not a Feuerwehr related motif. I don't know the reason for this except to say that I will show additional models by WKC that also show military motifs &/or a mixture of the two motifs. The etch itself is somewhat shallow but all there & adorns most of the 17" blade. This view is of the blade's obverse.

6.JPG (58.95 KB, 237 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a view of the blade's reverse. Again, you can see the WK&C mark as well as a shot of the military motif along with general filigree, typical of WKC's embellishment of the period IMHO.

7.JPG (52.1 KB, 240 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Online Content
Billy,
I like those daggers and enjoy this thread,hope it continues! Thank you.

V
V
Billy just outstanding pictures I love it paul

F
F
Billy

Very interesting topic.

Look forward to seeing more from your collection.

Roger
OP Online Content
Mikee, Paul & Roger,

Thanks gents, much appreciated. I hope to interest you more with some additional pieces to be posted as I get the chance.

Roger,

I hope you can post a few shots of that very beautiful & unusual Fire Official's lionhead piece you have.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
This is a really special Fire Official's dagger that I'm sure most of you have not seen before. In fact, no one I know has seen this model dagger previously. When I initially saw it, I didn't know what to make of it as there are a lot of differences between it & what we see more commonly everyday. The condition was slightly less that I would ideally like but it was clearly a dagger for a fire official. Despite the questions I had & the condition, I still had to have it.

I sent it off to Tom Wittmann to get an idea what he thought of it. Tom was very impressed by the dagger's condition because of it's age. When I inquired which period Tom thought the dagger dated from, he responded somewhere between 1860 & 1890. Needless to say I was floored & at the same time ecstatic. But what Tom said sort of made sense to me considering the crossguard looked an awful lot like some of those pre 1900 Naval dagger crossguards. Based on the blade etch & flaming pommel, I thought it looked a lot like a WKC/WK&C product; Tom agreed.

The scabbard appeared to be a standard Fire Official type scabbard constructed from black leather & standard, simple type scabbard fittings. A set of dagger hangers was used with this dagger suspended from two hanger loops, both affixed to the scabbard's top fitting. Sadly, I don't have any sufficient pictures of the scabbard but will add one later.

But I digress, here is the dagger I'm gushing about.

1.JPG (110.23 KB, 216 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
I know what you're thinking, it looks a lot like a standard Fire Official's dagger & it does. But the parts are different enough to merit the attention of the collector.

Notice the quillion arms & the detail to the outside. Looking at it now, the design almost resembles a War Merit Cross grin This is a radical departure to the crossguard we all associate with WKC but remember, this piece allegedly dates before 1900. Some naval daggers of this period had similar crossguards so it makes sense that this form may have simply predated the WKC Fire Official's dagger as we know it.

2.JPG (94.64 KB, 213 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here's a good shot of the "flaming pommel" which has thus far only been attributed to WKC products. You can also see the grip which is wrapped in rayskin, similar to officers' sabels of the day. The rayskin is covered by a single strand of copper type wire.

3.JPG (85.05 KB, 209 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Upon closer inspection though, this pommel wasn't like the others I had seen or owned. The pommel was not peened over, it had a pommel nut that was a separate piece this threaded through the pommel & was removable.

4.JPG (96.01 KB, 206 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
The scabbard drag, despite the ding, was similar to most German Fire Official's daggers, plain & quite utilitarian. I'll be posting pieces in the future that are as different from this piece as they can be.

5.JPG (71.79 KB, 204 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a shot of the obverse crossguard, clearly this piece was intended for someone affiliated with the Feuerwehr. For a collector of fire related items, you really can't go wrong with a Feuerwehrhelm & crossed axes.

6.JPG (88.22 KB, 215 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here is a shot of the reverse crossguard showing other fire related motifs of a ladder & pike. Again, always nice to see these things which clearly indicate the purpose of the dagger.

7.JPG (82.3 KB, 212 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
I had a really tough time photographing the blade etch on this piece suffucuently so I had to settle for spot shots. This panel is on the obverse blade & shows fire related paraphernalia. I believe this panel is quite similar to the etched on Feuerwehr sabels produced by WK&C in the Imperial period.

8.JPG (98.37 KB, 211 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
This panel is on the reverse blade & shows what most of us would consider a military motif including a breastplate, swords & banners, similar to the Imperial sawback I posted previously. This piece is clearly for a fire officer but there's a mixing of the etches, showing both were used, sometimes even simultaneously.

9.JPG (99.44 KB, 210 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
Here's a better shot of the grip showing the rayskin covering, single strand of grip wire, crossguard & pommel. There has been some shrinking to the leather scabbard, resulting in a slightly shorter scabbard. I could probably get the dagger blade in a little more but there's no need to possibly push the scabbard drag off the scabbard leather by being a brute. The pommel actually fits quite snugly but I don't want to cause problems usually resulting from overtightening a dagger pommel.

The blade is not in pristine condition & shows some modest age spots but considering the age & overall rarity of this model, I was still super happy to add it to my collection.

That's the piece for this evening. Next up, I'll try to add a piece that's in terrific condition with some nice rare features & a little mystery to it wink

10.JPG (92.78 KB, 208 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
V
V
Billy what a great dagger with great pictures.I'm sure learning a lot from you and keep them pictures comeing paul

5#.jpg (24.15 KB, 197 downloads)
F
F
Here's some "filler" until Billy can get back to us with more of his great collection and experience.

Both are early WKC fire pieces.

The first is the standard Imperial model Billy referred to in his explanation of the neat early capstain-quillon dagger he showed. This is for comparison of some of the points of later development (re: quillon ends, horn grip, unornamented quillon block, blade etch- unornamented black leather scabbard fittings).

WKC1.jpg (24.85 KB, 189 downloads)
WKC2.jpg (43.92 KB, 189 downloads)

Roger
F
F
The second item is a sawback, lionhead with typical WKC fire motif etched blade and rayskin wrapped handle. The langets are marked, both sides, with "D&R" which I suppose to possibly designate a private factory unit. (More knowledgeable opinions are welcomed).

This dagger starts to hint at the variety available to Feuerwehr collectors.

D&R1.jpg (55.58 KB, 186 downloads)
D&R2.jpg (42.71 KB, 187 downloads)

Roger
OP Online Content
Thanks for posting Gents, you've got som really great looking examples of fire sidearms at their best! I do love the variety indeed.

Roger,

Other than here on GD, I've never seen anything referencing that lionhead sawback & would love to know what the initials stood for. Such mysteries keep me enthralled. Even the dedication on the scabbard fitting, it's got an individial's name & not just a particular department. Just super.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
OP Online Content
This dagger's something of a mystery. What's the mystery you ask? Well, what's the specific unit or designation for this dagger?

1.JPG (96.03 KB, 174 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,511 SS Bayonets
1,760,288 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (JonathanC, Baz69, Landser, Billy G., Documentalist, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten), 564 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod