Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

Reckon Im having a bit of a weird question ... Im not sure where to ask about this, so, Im sorry if I placed in the wrong section? not long ago I was involved in a little restoration-project; finding an obsolete blade some friends to form a complete dagger with. Now, YES, I know, partsmonsters ARE frowned upon, BUT, this blade was THERE, so, why not put it to good use, with parts that are looking for a home too? Anyway, the result, is SMASHING, but, I posted that somewhere else, and, with all the VERY gorgeous daggers here, I guess it will not be having uch interest anyway.

BUT, searching for parts, some stuff arrives in WAY less good condition as the advertised condition. OR, different part(s) arrive, or repro parts, and so on. Im telling you, its adventurous to open parcels + envelopes when doing such a project *LOL* Anyway, most people refund, or trade parts, or even refund and say "keep it, its rubish anyway". And, ofcourse, there are the people that vanish into thin air as well, no refund or trade, but, only parts having a low or reasonable price were picked. 'Cause, after all, it might be an awesome result, but its a partsmonster after all; Fun, YEAH, valuable, not so much. Bsides, the blade in question, was retipped along its historic way. The fact that its a ground R�hm, and that it looks OK nonetheless, started the project.

At the end of the project, some parts are left unemployed. 1 of those is a bit of an intriguer. It wants to be a great early grip, but, is it, realy? I'm setting it against a good, nice condition, awesome tigered grip with a nickel silver eagle. Its wings are not fully sunken in the wood, but that doesnt distract much. The grip is good and genuine. Now, the dark grip, is the 1 Im curious about.

At 1st, I thought, its a late grip? The eagle looks a bit aluminum'ish? But the shape smells like early. The grip also feels like early, if you know what I mean? BUT, its ALSO a bit "bulky"? The grip seems to be a bit fatter then the 1s I've held/seen so far? Plus, and this is a BIG negative plus, the sides that flow into the crossguards? These seem to be WAY too short! Matching the grip to crossguards results in SUCH ugly gaps, its almost hilarious! It looks as if someone attacked it with some tool, or saw, or the other? But there are NO traces of that! Looking closer at the eagles, they seem similar enough to be possibly real. Also, the SA roundel could very well be real. Ive checked for eagle-prongs, inside the grip? There are 2 of those, fastening the eagle from within. No fake-signs there. But, thats MY unexperienced opinion

Attached to this post 5 pics, setting both grips next to 1 another. Ill place more pics here. With crossguards too, just to show you what I mean? Im wondering, are there SUCH steep or narrow crossguards out there for a grip like this? Is it damaged beyond repair? Is it some sort of a weirdo but good grip, made by some worker on monday morning after Oktoberfest? Or is it just a dead simple + plain fake? Ive seen fakes, but not with such eagles/roundels? Always the wings are WAY off on fakes, and pointy too. The SA roundels, well, they look bad too on fakes. And if both are real, then the shape of the grip almost always gives away that it is a fake. I made a bit of a "study" of it, after Ive traded for a grip before, which got a bit of an adventure in itself, and I ended up with a fake grip. And I see how I couldve spotted that easily back then. But, I just didnt know ... yet

Would anyone please shoot his or her opinion on the dark grip in the pics below?

Wondering,
Karin-Renate

2_front.jpg (97.27 KB, 175 downloads)
The dark grip on the left is the 1 in question ... front shot
2_back.jpg (96.6 KB, 176 downloads)
The dark grip on the left is the 1 in question ... back shot
2_side.jpg (96.23 KB, 176 downloads)
The dark grip on the left is the 1 in question ... on their sides, see how fatter the dark grip is?
2_close_eagle.jpg (97.63 KB, 174 downloads)
The dark grip on the left is the 1 in question ... the eagles up close.
2_close_sa.jpg (95.23 KB, 172 downloads)
The dark grip on the left is the 1 in question ... up are the roundels ...

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
OP Offline
This is the LIGHT grip, so, the real grip. It looks OK, it fits crossguards. I used a beat-up blade just to fit it up with parts, to show it fits.

1_light_1.jpg (93.96 KB, 175 downloads)
This is the LIGHT grip, with guards, looking OK.

OP Offline
Now, the DARK grip, so the 1 in question? Fitted with parts. See how silly the fitting is? *LOL* Are there parts to be found for this? Or is it quite bogus, should I set it on fire? Or is it OK after all?

1_dark_1.jpg (96.68 KB, 172 downloads)
Front
1_dark_2.jpg (94.09 KB, 169 downloads)
Other angle
1_dark_3.jpg (95.74 KB, 168 downloads)
Backshot
1_dark_4.jpg (94.71 KB, 170 downloads)
Topshot
1_dark_5.jpg (93.84 KB, 167 downloads)
Topbackshot

R.R Offline
Karin,

I don't see problems with your black grip. Daggers are not absolutely equals among them, crossguards differences may be observed in differents daggers and consequently each grip must to be different to fit each different crossguard.

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Hey Ricardo

Thanks for your view! And, yes, differences, many makers, and even the same maker makes differing parts, higher, lower, wider, smaller, thinner and so on, but, this specific grip, oh my, SUCH wide gaps, I never saw before? Not in pictures, not in any book, not on any forum or any site.

So, its an early grip then, yes? Are there suitable crossguards available for SUCH a high step? Like, S�hler made a low step, the grip always sticks out from the crossguard? Reckon THIS grip needs 1 heck of a steeeeep stepped guard! Or, this grip will almost always suffer from poor fitting? Also, the SA-roundel, seems up a little high in the grip, but, Ive seen that elsewhere ...

Still SO overwhelmed by your Daggers'N'Roses,
Karin-Renate

I had a transitional Ludwig Zeitler SA, RZM M7/104 Wien, Osterreich, that used a grip similar to the dark one. The cross guards were plated cast iron and the openings were smaller that normal.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at [email protected]
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Vern
I had a transitional Ludwig Zeitler SA, RZM M7/104 Wien, Osterreich, that used a grip similar to the dark one. The cross guards were plated cast iron and the openings were smaller that normal.

Hi Vern

Thank you for the insight! I thought it was an early grip at 1st too? But, the eagle, its an early eagle, I think, when I look closely next to another grip, although it looks like an aluminum 1. Anyway, I guess it will be quite a challenge to find suitable crossguards for this grip then. Or can they be identified? Like, the S�hlerstufe-crossguards, or the HACO-crossguards, these all have SUCH specific shape?

I was wondering, your cast iron crossguards, did they keep the plating better to the body then zinc crossguards generally do?

Anyway, thanks again Vern

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

The Zeitler crossguards are easy to identify. First, they are magnetic; and second, the crossguard section next to the grip was rounded instead of being cleanly faceted. The plating held about the same. The crossguards do rust where the plating wore off and rust penetrated under the plating from those spots. The one I had did use the nickle-silver eagle.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Vern
The Zeitler crossguards are easy to identify. First, they are magnetic; and second, the crossguard section next to the grip was rounded instead of being cleanly faceted. The plating held about the same. The crossguards do rust where the plating wore off and rust penetrated under the plating from those spots. The one I had did use the nickle-silver eagle.

Hi Vern

Hmm, so, that IS interesting! By "rounded", would you mean what I call "curled", as in, the dagger that is here? Or am I totally wrong? I dont know, maybe you mean something else? Just trying to get my facts straight. Thank you 1ce more!

OH, you probably dont have any pics of your interesting Zeitlerdolch anymore I guess?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

Actually, I was referring to the crossguard next to the grip. It's just slightly rounded instead of sharply defined. This is the only photo I have located so far. It's a standard size on the bottom, but smaller at the top fitting.

M7104.jpg (12.33 KB, 107 downloads)
Last edited by Vern; 07/16/2010 08:16 PM.

OP Offline
Hi Vern,

Ooooh OK, I see it now, Im sorry, I didnt get what you explained, I see it now. A beautiful makermark! Crossed hammers + crossed swords, cool! Anyway, thanks for clarifying Vern, sorry I was slow on the pick-up ...

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

No problem, glad I could clarify it wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,405 SS Bayonets
1,763,788 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,457 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:08 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:07 PM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 09:30 PM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/03/2024 08:38 PM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 07:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,096
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dean Perdue, RookieSA, Documentalist, C. Wetzel-20609, Gaspare, Dave, Evgeniy), 573 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod