Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Hi all,

I tried to look for KDF tinnies + things here, but couldn't find any. Y'all probably have tons of these! I have 2 to show, + 1 question about 1 of these ...

1 day I hope to find a gorgeous Betreuerinnen Abzeichen for the Kraft Durch Freude organisation, but the tinnies are NOT to be taken lightly either. I love the colors some of these ahve, they look AB-SO-LUT-TLY smashing! I had a WAY nice green 1, but this week a very nice 1 was added, having deep red in it, they make a lovely pair, don't they?

The green 1, is made of pressed paper. The red 1 is made of, well, what, exactly? It weighs like aluminum? Its some kinda very light (pot?) metal anyway. The green 1 has no makers mark, the red 1 has this text at the back;

Eferd Wiedemann
Frankfürt a M S10

Its a BIT hard to read, the camera doesnt quite grab the fine details, not even in macro, sorry ...

I was reading that "Eferd Wiedemann" may mean "E. Ferdinand Wiedemann". The "a M" obviouslt for "am Main". Main, a river, Frankfurt being the biggest city of Hessen. The entire area is called the Rhein-Main-Gebiet in German. Its where the rivers Rhein + Main come together. You can easily see now where the design of the red tinnie was made up from

I've been looking at the "S 10" part? So, S, is NOT an RZM Kennbuchstabe ... they used A, B, D, G, H, K, L, M, V + W. Not S! Also, Reichsbetriebsnummern generally look WAY different? So, can't be THAT either. Could it be a Leistungsgemeinschaft Deutscher Ordenhersteller thing then? Possibly? There are some L-numbers of those, like L\15 for Otto Schickle for example? Could thee be any S-numbers too?

Oh, yes, the little book? Is a Taschenatlas! Very interesting; a view on the Deutsches Reich at about 1938. Its the 1st thing showing me "Amt für Reisen, Wandern und Urlaub" combined with Kraft Durch Freude. Well, I knew what KDF was, but, still nice to learn period namings + frasings + so on

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

KDF_1.jpg (97.34 KB, 406 downloads)
Up front
KDF_2.jpg (95.94 KB, 407 downloads)
From the back
KDF_3.jpg (97.6 KB, 404 downloads)
Close up, front - red
KDF_4.jpg (96.96 KB, 408 downloads)
Close up, back - red
KDF_5.jpg (95.66 KB, 403 downloads)
Close up, front - green

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
K, very nice. Thank you for sharing. We do not have a dedicated KDF tinnie section set up yet. Someday. Yours can start it off. smile

The metal of your red one is a zinc alloy. the S 10 I would attribute to a street address. confused

--dj--Joe USMC.

Last edited by derjager; 07/10/2010 01:06 AM.

<BR>
I do have one KDF example.

--dj--Joe USMC.

KDF.jpg (78.74 KB, 378 downloads)

<BR>
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: derjager
K, very nice. Thank you for sharing. We do not have a dedicated KDF tinnie section set up yet. Someday. Yours can start it off. smile

The metal of your red one is a zinc alloy. the S 10 I would attribute to a street address. confused

--dj--Joe USMC.

Hi Joe!

Thanks! Actually, streetaddress, YES, almost ... I overlooked the fact that there would NOT be a makernumber, 'cause the NAME is there too. So, I totally overlooked that BUT, S10, that means Stadtteile 10 Nope, did NOT get to that myself, I had help from someone WAY smarter then me.

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

OP Offline
I do have one KDF example.

--dj--Joe USMC.

Oooohh ... and its GORGEOUS! Thanks for adding this 1 Joe! I love it

K, nice grouping! first time I have ever seen these.

Fritziii

<BR>
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: fritziii
K, nice grouping! first time I have ever seen these.

Fritziii

Hi Fritziii,

Thanks! And, my pleasure! Ive seen the green heart pin once somewhere else, but not the red pin. I was told that theres a hardcore KDF-collector group, hunting these pins down? And theres a preference for wooden pins. I see 2 of those at eBays now; 1 expired, 1 running towards ending. Prices are high. lll attach them here, just for reference. I dont have these, but they SURE are nice! Never saw these before too! I hope this topic will expose more gorgeous KDF pins

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

KDF_wood_1.jpg (78.01 KB, 361 downloads)
Nice colours!
KDF_wood_2.jpg (85.78 KB, 355 downloads)
Another pretty example!

OP Offline
Hi all,

Sometimes, you find something that you, sorta, fall in love with?. For badges, medals or pins, I have a few I like wickedly much for some reason. The Deutschvölkische Schutz- und Trutzbund have pins that have hit me like a brick when I learned about them! And also, many, WAY many KdF pins are gorgeous + absolute stunning little artworks, like shown earlier

Some posts back I mentioned the Betreuerinnenabzeichen. I dont know if other Gaue had Abzeichen for their girls, women, promoting the Kraft durch Freude organisation? But Gau München-Oberbayern DID HAVE such a pin. And, this 1 too, I liked so much when I saw it 1st.

Some (very lucky) auction came, and ended, and no one else wanted this 1? So, here it is, keeping the other pins above company; the KdF-Betreuerinnen badge of Gau München-Oberbayern.

The pics are quickies, same settings as a DRL Abzeichen I posted, I wanted something more with it, but weather is bad today, it probably wont get better. And I promised someone to post this. So, without any more ado, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Oh, and the booklet, thats awesome too! Not much to read, but more like a what goes where + with whom sorta book. Havent read it yet, but it gives info on how things were organized. Besides, it makes a smashing display with the little atlas and all the pins

Its rather big; 5 centimeters (2 inches) across. The KdF-Betreuerinnen badge is in Hüsken's "Abzeichen 1871-1945", 2010 edition, on page 179, §80, "Freizeitgestaltung Algemein". Its under number 8001, Brosche "d". Gosh, guys, this 1 is truly awesome. Im so stoked! Yay!

Enjoy,
Karin-Renate

Betreuerinnen_1a.jpg (95.39 KB, 325 downloads)
Brosche + Buchlein
Betreuerinnen_2a.jpg (92.86 KB, 326 downloads)
Front
Betreuerinnen_3a.jpg (97.32 KB, 323 downloads)
Back
Betreuerinnen_4a.jpg (95.47 KB, 319 downloads)
Front
Betreuerinnen_5a.jpg (96.51 KB, 317 downloads)
Back

Congratulations K, that is a nice looking broach. cool
A very nice addition to your collection.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
OP Offline
Thanks so very much Joe! The only disadvantage of KdF is,that they didnt have a dagger *LOL* the badges + pins? Truly cant be beaten mostly. SO many pretty 1s they had! I went hog wild when the auction ended, wasnt expecting it to arrive even, at that price? Don't count your chickens until they hatch, right? But there it was! Yay! AFAIK these never come cheap, if they come at all, in OK condition? Ive seen people show them off elsewhere, its wicked fun to be able to do that here too There's 1 over at what y'all call "mighty Weitze"? It seems to have less colours somehow. Did these come in themes? Or, did colours just wear off? Does any1 know?

OP Offline
Hi all,

Well, as lovely as the Betreuerinnenbroche is, Im proud to say, it has competition! Not the value, but, in a way, that too? 'Cause, less expensive things can mean more to someone then more expensive stuff! Or maybe thats a girly way of thinking? Anyhow, this might be just that!

Its a wooden KdF badge, or pin. On the back, it says something like "131", "Sachsen" and "Gebirge". Maybe "Gebirge" is "Erzgebirge", I dunno, theres ink before "Gebirge" but cant see if it means anything.

So, this SPECIFIC badge s NOT in Tiëste's "Tagungs- und Veranstaltungsabzeichen 1930-1945" (5. Auflage), BUT, it COULD be the 1 under number "Sachsen 00-029" (page 840, 2nd book). Those birds look away from eachother though, and, "mine", look WAY more playful, frolic, happy! I truly LOVE this pin ... Its makes you happy just looking at it dont it? I mean, LOOK at that! Djeezz, if THAT aint cute, WHAT IS?

Those KdF-Leute, sure knew how to pimp their badges! Gosh ... SO beautiful ...

Does anyone know if 131 is a maker, or Bezirk, or whatever? If its a maker, what list do I use to find out who it belongs to? RZM M1 has a 131, but that 1 was never used? My guess is M9/131? Thats Noelle & Hueck ... M9 is for NSDAP Tagungs-stuff, KdF is NSDAP regulated, no?

Im SO stoked with this pin! Enjoy,
Karin-Renate

birdies_01b.jpg (119.78 KB, 212 downloads)
Spectacular view :)
birdies_02b.jpg (115.39 KB, 211 downloads)
Spectacular view :))
birdies_03b.jpg (109.86 KB, 210 downloads)
Spectacular view :)))
birdies_04b.jpg (121.43 KB, 209 downloads)
Spectacular view :))))
birdies_05b.jpg (119.63 KB, 208 downloads)
Spectacular view :)))))

1 member likes this: derjager
OP Offline
More spectacular views, just because

birdies_06b.jpg (122.05 KB, 206 downloads)
birdies_07b.jpg (113.37 KB, 203 downloads)
birdies_08b.jpg (121.82 KB, 204 downloads)
birdies_09b.jpg (122.96 KB, 203 downloads)
birdies_10b.jpg (121.44 KB, 203 downloads)

1 member likes this: derjager
Great piece K . Baby birds. grin
Definitely a pin that brings a smile. Can't beat the hand crafted items.

cool Thanks so much for showing it. 131 could be an item #?

--dj--Joe

Last edited by derjager; 08/03/2010 12:36 AM.

<BR>
OP Offline
Hi all,

The stamp, at the back of the pin? It says "Seiffen Erzgebirge". Seiffen, ofcourse, the place known for woodwork, handcraft + toymakers! The number 131 probably is a maker. But makers in THIS case could also be private people, helping out during the evenings + weekends. Just updating info

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

Last edited by Krullies; 08/13/2010 04:26 PM.

OP Offline
Hi all,

Youve gotta admit, the KdF has SUCH lovely pins! Lets put another 1 on the stand, to show you just HOW lovely; the Mitgliedsabzeichen für Gau Köln-Aachen, 1. Form. I saw this 1, several weeks ago, on an auctionsite, with a damaged or scratched out swastika. It was SUCH a beautiful pin though, that we went searching on other sites too.

Hüsken, in the 2010 edition, lists this as rare, on page 179, and actually very expensive? There are a few out there for FAR more reasonable prices at the moment though. Now, the 2. Form, THAT 1 seems harder to find? But also, the KdF is not popular I guess. Not tuff enuff maybe, or not military enuff?

Anyway, rare or not, its a gorgeous little membershippin (so NOT a tinnie!), and Im very proud to show it here. Its keeping all other pins company. I think, a love for KdF can surey be noticed with me

Just look at it guys .. the enamel , how it reflects, even makes the water look fluid! I tried to grab that in pics, but you'll have to make do with the gorgeous green mountain-meadows. The makersname is on the back; Ferdinand Hoffstätter, Bonn. Tried to show that too, but, its not very clear.

Enjoy,
Karin-Renate

KölnAachen_1b.jpg (122.03 KB, 187 downloads)
Awesomeness
KölnAachen_2b.jpg (113.19 KB, 187 downloads)
Backside
KölnAachen_3b.jpg (121.4 KB, 188 downloads)
Backside upsidedown
KölnAachen_4b.jpg (122.47 KB, 186 downloads)
Awesomeness
KölnAachen_5b.jpg (121.99 KB, 186 downloads)
Closeup
Last edited by Krullies; 08/13/2010 04:28 PM.

<BR>
OP Offline
Thanks Joe! Great info! Im getting a little worried though, this here pin, is on Snyder's site, 2 times *LOL* Now THAT cant be good Still, the pin in hand, looks+feels very real, I think what I said earlier is true? Not much interest in KdF.

I think the birdies are awesome and that colorful DdF pin seems good to me. I like it as well. Also as a note, yes Snyder has a lot of fakes but there is legit stuff in the mix as well though.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: *Adam*
I think the birdies are awesome and that colorful DdF pin seems good to me. I like it as well. Also as a note, yes Snyder has a lot of fakes but there is legit stuff in the mix as well though.

Hi Adam,

Thanks, for that comment on the birdies. they surely DONT come better than THAT 1! It truly is a joy to, well, ENjoy It also get me all fylosophical, like, how that pin contrasts against (cant find better words at the moment but Im sure you get it) the whole swastika concept as it is explained in books. And also, KdF was more complicated then just a holiday-organization or freetime-guide. Theres a whole indoctrination-thing going on. Meanwhile, ordinary everyday people, were involved, in actually making things fun, and awesome, 'cause, thats what they do! This little pin, is part of that. Someone MUST had SUCH fun making it! And, it survived! Not the most heavy robust pin out there? So, it was cared for all this time, probably 'cause it is SUCH a fun thing!

Anyway, Im babbling... Snyder, yeeeeesss, you're right, Adam, you're very right I dont know Snyder or his treasures? So, in fact, I shouldnt talk about it/him then. In fact, I even LIKE the site! I come there often? Its always fun (ill just quote my eternal example, but what better way to explain, eh) to see Eva Brauns negligee or lingery or undies for sale, or those "just discovered" youth paintings of Alois Hitler, or whatever *LOL* Maybe, Snyder even has more fun putting all of that together then all of us have here, making sour faces, if someone thinks something smells like fake or doubt, or if anyone enjoys all this history stuff a bit different from the rest. So, who am I to shout at Snyder? I was just being echo for everyone that speaks of Snyder over at Wehrmacht-Awards or other forums. And I shoudnt do that. Like I shouldnt do a lot of things. So, mister Snyder, if youre listening, I apologize for shouting stuff without actually having cause for that.

So, Adam, thanx, for the thumb up to the pin! Its very nice indeed! Nice of you to stop by

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

R.R Offline
Hi Karin,

Very nice KdF pins collection, with some lovelly and unexpected itens. I allways remember one of the best KdF realizations, the KdF-Wagen:

Sincerely,

Ricardo

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: R.R
...Very nice KdF pins collection, with some lovelly and unexpected itens. I allways remember one of the best KdF realizations, the KdF-Wagen...

Hi Ricardo

Thanx for the wonderful comment! And the KdF-Wagen, YES, its great! You have the booklet? Or, booklets? Theres 2 I think? Wicked! You also have the Spar-Karte + Spar-Marken? The booklet is lovely! Ive seen pics of it. 5 of them attached below. Cant quite remember where I found them, so, these arent mine, but, theyre cool enuff to add. Very popular by VW-enthusiasts too I guess?

Some more interesting info here and here.

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

KdF-Wagen_01.jpg (117.9 KB, 190 downloads)
KdF-Wagen_02.jpg (118.67 KB, 190 downloads)
KdF-Wagen_03.jpg (115.56 KB, 190 downloads)
KdF-Wagen_04.jpg (113.44 KB, 190 downloads)
KdF-Wagen_05.jpg (116.06 KB, 187 downloads)
Last edited by Krullies; 08/15/2010 11:16 PM.

R.R Offline
Originally Posted By: Krullies

Thanx for the wonderful comment! And the KdF-Wagen, YES, its great! You have the booklet? Or, booklets? Theres 2 I think? Wicked! You also have the Spar-Karte + Spar-Marken? The booklet is lovely! Ive seen pics of it. 5 of them attached below. Cant quite remember where I found them, so, these arent mine, but, theyre cool enuff to add. Very popular by VW-enthusiasts too I guess?

Karin,

Unhapply I don't have the booklets or the Spar-Karte, but I wrote some times ago a article about the KdF-Wagen development and it's use as staff car in the WWII. It's descendent, the VW-Beetle was produced for several years here in Brazil and is very loved here where it is nicknamned as "Fusca". The beetle was the car that I have my 1st drive lessons.

Sincerely,

Ricardo

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Very nice Ricardo Your article, can it be found somewhere? Or is it copyrighted? Or in a book maybe? That must be interesting?

R.R Offline
Very nice Ricardo Your article, can it be found somewhere? Or is it copyrighted? Or in a book maybe? That must be interesting?

Hi Karin,

I wrote this article for a brazilian plastic modeller forum some times ago. The article is a sequence of 6 parts about civil german cars used as staff cars during the WWII and each part group some cars makers history. The Volkswagen/KdF history is in the 6th part. Unfortunatelly it was wrote only in brazilian-portuguese language, but may be you can use a translator in it. The link for the 6 parts is below with each contents. They have very interesting texts and pictures about german cars industry and history until the WWII end.

Part 1 - Adler and Borgward

http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=369&zoneid=30

Part 2 - BMW and Hanomag

http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=371&zoneid=30

Part 3 - Auto Union

http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=373&zoneid=30

Part 4 - Mercedes-Benz

http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=374&zoneid=30

Part 5 - Opel and Ford-Werke

http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=376&zoneid=24

Part 6 - Volkswagen, Maybach, NSU-Fiat, Stoewer and Steyr
http://www.webkits.com.br/news/templates/news.asp?articleid=385&zoneid=14

Ps. Ricardo P-40 is my nickname at the brazilian plastic modellers comunity.

Sincerely,

Ricardo

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Ooohmy ... cool! My afternoon is spoken for *LOL* Im not very good at Portugeese, so that'll give the translation-engines a work-over Thanks for the readingmaterial Ricardo! Truly very interesting! Thanks!

OP Offline
Hi all,

Sometime ago we discovered a VERY beautiful KdF pin for a swimming pool. Somewhere else, funny enough, a document for that same KdF-Bad! The document is here, the pin, was left forgotten, cause of things going on. Really such a shame ... BUT, maybe, itll pop up somewhere. Anyway, totally forgotten too, by me, was this pin I want to show (off). Its so very lovely, its just loveable with that blue ... it looks even like fabric? But it isnt. Last 2 pics, I used the document, cause its realy very nice, and, I just wanted to use it *LOL* But its a document for a KdF-Bad, not the Messe.

The Leipziger Messe, the trade fair of Leipzig, 1 of the oldest trade fairs in the world! National Socialist era, ofcourse, made it Reichsmesse. After WW2, it was on (or just in) the border of eastern Germany, and got part of the Council for Mutual Economic Assistance (CoMeCon), which is actualy in 1 of my new schoolbooks! I looked it up, so, thatll be cool to study.

The pin is clearly marked on the back. Efoplast, is said to be pressed paper? But it feels like plastic, realy. Doesnt bend or shape under pressure. D.R.P.a, must be a patentlike thing? The little "a" is throwing me off a bit, I guess. E.O. Friedriech, the maker, in Leipzig.

The image, must be the building, or the entrance of it, where the Messe was at. I think it could be a hotel now, but I couldnt really find good pics to match this pin? So I could be way off there. Here is some info on the history of the Messe and the logos used, with pics. But no pic to match the pin either. Maybe someone has anything?

The Leibziger Messe still exists.

Enjoy,
KR

Frühjahrsmesse_1b.jpg (121.43 KB, 167 downloads)
Front
Frühjahrsmesse_2b.jpg (121.43 KB, 166 downloads)
Close(r)up
Frühjahrsmesse_3b.jpg (122.5 KB, 162 downloads)
Back
Frühjahrsmesse_4b.jpg (120.07 KB, 163 downloads)
Awesomeness
Frühjahrsmesse_5b.jpg (122.49 KB, 162 downloads)
Awesomeness

Karin,

Great shots of a lovely pin. It's a shame so many beautiful things like this go almost un-noticed by the majority of our collecting-community.

Some of the pins recently posted are truly gems!

Bill

OP Offline
Hi Bill!

Thank you much for the comments + the interest! Yes, KdF has SUCH lovely pins, colourful, awesome designs, its truly amazing! The organisation, when you look at it? Learns so much about what went on? The regulated free time, leisure, having all hard working people indoctrinated while resting, but also KdF accomplished amazing yet truly scary things? Really, I love the subject of KdF, it involves so much during the period. And, to boot, WAY gorgeous pins ... how cool is THAT? Anyhow, getting carried away again, sorry ... thanx again Bill!

Sincerely,
KR

Krullies #227791 09/09/2010 08:51 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

Maybe just a wooden toy to some of you (at least) but, heres a beautiful girl for you to see;

A Bäuerin, for Gau Sachsen ... Shes very lovely, nice colours, no chips missing. Quite tall she is too ... 6,5 centimeters high, or 2.6 inches ... and her pretty little green hat really takes it home. Just look at her. Shes so adorable, no? Imagine the amount of work that goes into making just 1 of these ...

The mark at the back; again, "Seiffen Erzgebirge", but then, it gets a bit vague. It probably says 98.

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Sachsen_1b.jpg (120.15 KB, 150 downloads)
Front
Gau_Sachsen_2b.jpg (122.04 KB, 150 downloads)
Closeup
Gau_Sachsen_3b.jpg (121.89 KB, 150 downloads)
Back
Gau_Sachsen_4b.jpg (121.77 KB, 150 downloads)
Closeup
Gau_Sachsen_5b.jpg (121.04 KB, 150 downloads)
Awesomeness

Krullies #227886 09/10/2010 09:14 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

Moving on, not with a pretty wooden pin, but a pretty as well Mitgliedsabzeichen for Gau Berlin. Its on page 179, of the 2010 Hüsken book, and said to be rare Its made of hard grey plastic. Cause Mitgliedabzeichen usualy are of harder material, Im open for suggesting this is a tinnie. Its a very little pin, like, 1.5 centimeters in diameter (0.6 inch).

Berlin, ofcourse, its heraldic sign, is a Bär. And this Bär is in this pin. The swastika careful'ish hidden behind it, but still very visible. The little crown in the sign, is decorated like the RAD-gear-teeth. The back of the pin, shows the makername; Hoffstätter in Bonn.

Tasteful tiny pin, this ... it needs bit ofa cleaning? But very nice to see!

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Berlin_1b.jpg (120.54 KB, 142 downloads)
Front
Gau_Berlin_2a.jpg (96.63 KB, 142 downloads)
Closeup
Gau_Berlin_3b.jpg (113.37 KB, 142 downloads)
Back

Krullies #227900 09/11/2010 12:35 AM
Both very nice K. I would have thought the KDF Berlin to be made of aluminum.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #231972 11/06/2010 12:30 PM
OP Offline
Let's see if theres still some interest in these?

A very nice KdF Abzeichen. Like the Betreuerinnen badge, this also has the Edelweiß. The pin is made of yellowish metal, 3 centimeter wide, and almost 4 centimeter high (1.6 by 1.2 inches). Lovely design, see how the Edelweiß leave wiggles the "Fr" away from "eude" The visual got priority to the text. Anyway, I thought a funny detail.

The Edelweiß, I never really thought of it, but, knew it from Kaiserin Elisabeth ofcourse, the Austrian empress, a very beautiful and respected lady, no? She had often the Edelweiß flower in her hair, not always. Also German Kaiser Wilhelm I loved the flower, and the Bavarian King Ludwig too.

There are many many Edelweiß-types, they all come from Asia originally, and have a few flowers that grow in America that are like nephews or nieces to the Edelweiß we know in Europe; the alpine Edelweiß, meaning "white nobless". Higher grounds are needed, the flowers wont grow below 1600 or 1700 meters (about 5500 feet). It is also used as symbol for luck, love or honor.

The SA Gruppen that had the Edelweiß are said to be the most loyal of all SA. The Gruppen were Alpenland, Donau, Hochland, and Südmark. These Gruppen also were allowed to wear different clothing style, like leather shorts. The pic is from the book "Cloths and Insignia of the NSDAP and SA". So, the SA Gruppen, not really part of Gebirgsjäger, they also had the Edelweiß insignia, but those were regular army or SS, not political paramilitary.

Enjoy,
KR

Oberbayern_1b.jpg (122.63 KB, 208 downloads)
Front
Oberbayern_2b.jpg (122.4 KB, 208 downloads)
Back
Oberbayern_3b.jpg (118.97 KB, 206 downloads)
Front closeup
Oberbayern_4b.jpg (120.23 KB, 203 downloads)
Back closeup
Oberbayern_5b.jpg (122.43 KB, 204 downloads)
Different background just for contrast

Krullies #232076 11/07/2010 12:57 AM
Very nice K. I don't believe I've seen that particular tinnie before. smile

Regards,--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #232231 11/08/2010 09:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi Joe!

Thank you much for the nice comments! YES its nice, but wait for a more colourful one! That is truly epic! Reckon its just us 2 liking these *LOL* but nevermind .. Thanks joe!

Cheers
KR

OP Offline
Like the Efoplast pin here, I just have to show this one too! Another truly beautiful coloured tinnie by RZM maker M9/148, no? Look at THAT ... The back has the same markings as the light blue Frühjahrsmesse pin in the linked post above, that was also by the same maker.

Again this weird Efoplast. Someone told me that the Efo stuff (there also was Efoleder!) was registered trademark by this maker, Friedrich? Does anybody know more about this?

Anyhow, like the Frühjahrsmesse, this pin, is very very enchanting! The Laternen und Volksfest, or the Lanters and people feast, was started as tradition in 1928, and is still held today, in Halle Saale. Big festivities, with medieval spectacles, parades, exhibitions, street artists, shows of old professions, and many many more. Nowadays, it lasts from 29 to 31 august. In 2009 it got 125000 visitors in these 3 days!

Enjoy,
KR

Zur_Donau_1b.jpg (111.43 KB, 185 downloads)
Front
Zur_Donau_2b.jpg (106.3 KB, 182 downloads)
Back
Zur_Donau_3b.jpg (121.88 KB, 180 downloads)
Back
Zur_Donau_4b.jpg (121.77 KB, 180 downloads)
Front
Zur_Donau_5b.jpg (119.71 KB, 180 downloads)
Closeup

OP Offline
Well, sometimes, all that's needed, is what nature provides, and a little pin, to make an epic photo Look at that gorgeous purple Erica Carnea! Oh, and yes, the pin is nice too Not a special one, but interesting nonetheless, and it has the cool KdF logo on it, so it has my attention fer sure. Gau Franken. No date, no eventname, no nothing, it could be a Mitgliedsabzeichen, but not even Tiëste knows. Its about 2.4 centimeters (0.9 inch) in diametre, made of some light sort of metal, black'ish. The rest, you can see.

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Franken_2_1b.jpg (122.2 KB, 153 downloads)
Epic purple
Gau_Franken_2_2b.jpg (122.89 KB, 150 downloads)
Front - closeup
Gau_Franken_2_3b.jpg (113.87 KB, 151 downloads)
Back
Gau_Franken_2_4b.jpg (121.74 KB, 151 downloads)
Back - closeup

Karin,

I always enjoy your posts - enthusiasm and knowledge constantly shine through. Great photography too, you have a knack for setting up your shots no matter what you use for background material - a piece of fruit, vegetable, or flower ... those bright splashes of natural color really bring the subject matter to life. On top of that, your explanations and details of the customs, traditions and history add even more zest to your descriptions. Please keep up the good work.

Kind regards and thanks!

Bill

Hi Karin,

What do you make of this one, KdF related? Possibly a trip down south to the Mediterranean? ... lots of lizards down there ... grin

Best!

Bill

kdf.jpg (67.15 KB, 117 downloads)
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: WWII
Hi Karin,

What do you make of this one, KdF related? Possibly a trip down south to the Mediterranean? ... lots of lizards down there ... grin

Best!

Bill

Hi Bill! Skipping quickly my blush from your previous post, That's a nice puzzle, it could be KdF? Please give me a moment (or 2, possibly 3 *LOL*) to dive in some books? Thanks for showing this one! Just thinking, Salamanders? Those are lizards of some sort, no? Could also be Reichskolonialbund? Or do they live in Europe too? Anyways, what is at the back of the pin?
Sincerely,
KR

OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I already posted a lovely little wooden farmergirl from Gau Sachsen. Here is a little wooden deer! Totally lovely colours make another very happy pin! I cant place pics in text, so, see pics 1 and 2.

Gau Sachsen, the Gauleiter was Martin Mutschmann from 1925 to 1945. Mutschmann had NSDAP beliefs ofcourse, but he was maybe more interested in Sachsen and its history, and, he made it his business to preserve. Instead of a big Reich he had a lot of attention for "his" Saxony and for Saxony to remain as it was. When Hitler came to power Mutschmann was made Reichsstatthalter Sachsen. As much eye he had for Sachsen, still he was accused of not preparing Dresden enuff for the allied bombing that took place february 1945. The bombing of Dresden is seen as one of the allied warcrimes.

The little songbook is nice too. Nice enuff to show anyhow, no? The booklet has a specific part that used much by the original owner maybe, so I scanned the page that it wants to show, just in case you wonder whats inside such a book; See pics 3 and 4

It has a forword by Robert Ley, that's his signature; see pic 5

Robert Ley joined NSDAP in 1924 and in 1932 he got elected by Hitler to Reichsorganisationsleiter. in 1922 btw his wife got a daughter named Renate. When Hitler came to power, Robert Ley got appointed as leader of the Deutsche Arbeitsfront. And that was the only workerparty allowed then. He had a bit of a glorified leader's life and got alcoholic, so a lot of his tasks were done by others. His style of living and the alcohol made him maybe a bit more radical in his views then average and he was among the more radical NSDAP members, who intended to fight until the last man fell. In 1944 he was one of the driving people to form the Werwolf comando group that had to make difficult the invasion of the allied forces by using guerilla tactics. When the Third Reich fell, he was to stand trial in Nürnberg but hanged himself before his trial started.

Robert Ley with his wife during for him better days;

Another photo;

His Nürnberg trial mug shot;

Some more little info here, or use Wiki.

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Sachsen_2_1.jpg (121.71 KB, 113 downloads)
Front
Gau_Sachsen_2_2.jpg (112.7 KB, 112 downloads)
Back
WWUS_1.jpg (119.56 KB, 113 downloads)
Booklet
WWUS_2.jpg (116.14 KB, 110 downloads)
Booklet - inside
Gau_Sachsen_2_3.jpg (121.55 KB, 111 downloads)
Robert Ley preface

OP Offline
Hi Karin,

Best!

Bill

Hi Bill!

Just thinking out loud? Could it be Lurchi? That creature on your pin? In 1937, all combined Salamander shoecompanies introduced Lurchi, to promote childrenshoes? Lurchi was a cartoon figure, still exists today even.. the cartoon changed from design a lot, I can't find many pics of him from 1937, but some here? And maybe you have one right there! But, shoes, are not travels, maybe Salamander arranged travels for kids too? Maybe adventure walkingtrips or something? The Lurchi comics were handed out at schools .. ?

More here.

Anyhow, just a thought?

Bye,
KR

Karin Renate,

I remember running around in Salamander shoes as a young boy and that they were/are (?) a famous shoemaking company. It's the first time I've heard of Lurchi, however, I can see the similarity between the two amphibians - they're both Tiger Salamanders with the distinctive yellow/black markings. Even though my badge is a single color, one can see the places where the striped-highlights would go.

I'm not certain if there's a relationship between my badge and Lurchi, and/or the shoe company connections? What I do enjoy is the fact that you offered such good suggestions, ideas that I'd not considered before. Your insight into many of the facets of our hobby is outstanding and your input is welcome by me, anytime. ... gracias!

Best!

B~

OP Offline
Some pretty other Früjahrsmesse is already here, but look at this one! Wow, lovely colours, by that same maker E.O. Friedrich in Leipzig, where the Messe was (still is too!!) held. I have others by that maker, he/she surely did some cracking designs! And, made of that Efoplast again, which probably is eazy to colour, more then metals, and also surely cheaper then metals. Anyhow, maybe Friedrich was a bit like Sieper, who used plastik, and made many colourful Abzeichen too, like this or this. 2 very interesting makers!

So, with that, another awesome KdF Tagungsabzeichen. The year is a mystery still, like with the other Frühjahrspin. Maybe someone knows what pin was for what year? Or maybe groups had certain pins? Or there were more Messes in a Frühjahr?

The view, just . check it out ... gorgeous .. some banners before the silouet of the Messegebäude that we can better see in this one. The styled Luft und Wolken, and that colour used for tekst and swaz. I wonder, were did all the designers of these go, if anyone remembers, and any still alive?

Lovely and strong Abzeichen, good condition, sure hope wont turn out to be made yesterday. But, for now, Im lovin it much. Btw, if you think your dayjob is crazy? Here 2 guys doing promotion for the Frühjahrsmesse in 1932

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_Leipzich_Messe_0b.jpg (122.38 KB, 168 downloads)
Front
KdF_Leipzich_Messe_1b.jpg (103.38 KB, 165 downloads)
Closeup
KdF_Leipzich_Messe_2b.jpg (122.71 KB, 164 downloads)
Back

here is my STRENGTH THROUGH JOY flag just acquired and came back with a CANADIAN VET AND OFF A VESSEL NAME UNKNOWN

FLAG.jpg (113.31 KB, 155 downloads)
OP Offline
Gosh Paul THAT is an amazing thing your flag! How HUGE is that anyways? That must look very very nice with your collection? Here I thought no one is interested in KdF, but, this is GREAT! Such a shame the veteran soldier dont remember the boatname .. thanks much for showing Paul Im waiting for a cool KdF find too, well NOT as massivly epic as yours but, well, will post when it gets here, I reckon it will take a while tho.

Bye,
KR

SIZE IS ABOUT 5FT BY 2FT A NICE SIZE

paulbear #238083 01/25/2011 08:20 PM
OP Offline
THAT is giantly HUGE Paul, almost as big as me Can you hang that somewhere? OH, is there a lable on it? Sometimes flags have those? Anyhow, dont have the "cool KdF thing" yet ofcourse, but, this 1s for you and posting your awesome flag ...

Hooking into the maker Sieper and Friedrich (post above), "they" were expreimenting lots with plastiks/chemicals and stuff. Reckon lots was tested during war, and lots we still use today. Take this gorgeous Abzeichen! Also KdF, super design! Very proud pin. I saw this also in blue? So, possibly this comes in other colours too, or with only the light colour painted and not the black. This one black'ish and silverish white painted up front, (see the close-up pic #2), blue (unpainted) at the back.

Anyhow, a very nice plastik pin, by the maker Walgo, a plastiks/chemicals company in Kierspe, a city in Nordrhein Westfalen. The company stil exists today, doing the same thing as back then; Kunststoffverarbeitung. Ha! Fun thing is, theres 3 Walgos in the RZM Liste; M1/175 (M1 for NSDAP Abzeichen), M5/189 (for uniform acesoires) and M9/20 (M9 for Tagungsabzeichen). Same company, maybe 2 locations? The 2 Walgos have diffring abreviations after the name, the first "Kom-Ges." and the other 2 "Inh. Goseberg". Inh. may mean owner? From Inhaber?

The company website is up, and the city, you can visit on the web here. The lion of the city coat of arms is used in the pin very nice I think. The maker at the back, clearly. "BHF" problaby means Bahnhof. Kierspe Bahnhof (means "trainstation") is a Stadtteil.

Gau Kurhessen, Leitung in city Kassel. Gau formed in 1925. In 1927, the Gau was split up, in Gau Hessen, Gau Hessen-Nassau Nord and Gau Hessen-Nassau Süd. In 1934, another reform, Gau Hessen-Nassau Nord renamed to Gau Kurhessen. This Gau Kurhessen had 2 Gauleiter; Karl Weinrich from 1934 to 1943, and Karl Gerland from 1943 to end of war.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_Kurhessen_1b.jpg (120.86 KB, 125 downloads)
front
KdF_Kurhessen_2b.jpg (106.46 KB, 125 downloads)
closeup
KdF_Kurhessen_3b.jpg (106.23 KB, 124 downloads)
back
Last edited by Krullies; 01/25/2011 08:21 PM.

YOU WILL SEE MANY kdf IN PLASTICS ALL COLOURS, make a great collection if you can find them all.

PAUL

OP Offline
Hi Paul!

Originally Posted By: paulbear
YOU WILL SEE MANY kdf IN PLASTICS ALL COLOURS, make a great collection if you can find them all.

Surely yes! Well I like the Holzabzeichen just a little better? But the colourful plastics/efo/nitro/leder are so nice! Still, find them ALL? *LOL* There must 100s, 1000s?! Who knows for sure? Even Tiëste finds new tinnies sometimes But, OK just for fun, look at THIS! The Abzeichen is made by Sieper und Söhne in Lüdenscheid, mentioned here/here already. Its the very first KdF by Sieper I saw! Its a real goodlooker no? Nice marks at the back! This Abzeichen for KdF in Tirol und Vorarlberg. This was an NSDAP Gau, Tirol-Vorarlberg combined. Vorarlberg, is much smaller then Tirol, maybe 2 or 3 times. So, the Tiroler Wappen makes this brilliant tinnie. If you want you can see the Vorarlberger Wappen here too. NSDAP Gauleiter was Franz Hofer, we can see him here. And I could find the KdF Gauwart also, this was Fritz Mader. He was made chief of NS-Kulturgemeinde (NSKG) in Württmeberg Hohenzollern in 1937, and in 1942 he became profesor at the Stuttgart academy of arts. Other infos here. This tinnie is in Tiëste ofcourse, book L-Z of 2010 edition page 963, and its the only 1 Abzeichen for KdF Tirol-Vorarlberg in there. Used for background is something very nice KdF too but not linked to Tirol-Vorarlberg.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_TirolVorarlberg_1c.jpg (120.57 KB, 108 downloads)
Front
KdF_TirolVorarlberg_2c.jpg (121.95 KB, 109 downloads)
Back
KdF_TirolVorarlberg_3c.jpg (122.62 KB, 109 downloads)
Closeup
KdF_TirolVorarlberg_4c.jpg (107.71 KB, 108 downloads)
Closeup

Karin,

That's a gem, great find! wink

Best!

W~

smile I am throughly enjoying this thread. smile

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #238237 01/28/2011 02:37 PM
OP Offline
Hi Joe, William, Sirs Thanks for the cheers! And YES, it IS a very nice pin! BUT, lets not forget the Abzeichen NOT of plastik or wood or even without colours can be very nice too. Lets throw something in just to show this, yes?

For change, a metal Abzeichen. Made of sheetmetal. Not colourul, in fact, no colours at all, and a real pain to shoot I'm tellin you! But its so very nicely done. Not all Abzeichen show DAF plus KdF. This tinnie does! Feels like a Mitgliedsabzeichen; totally stunning detail! But to fully apreciate that we need to get very very close, so look at pics 4 and 5, just brilliant dont you think? Shot 4, look at that Eichenlaub'like decoration, so very small but so very detailed and done carefuly! There even are tiny little Eichel'chen right there! Go see, its cute! Shot 5, another little fine detail there, this Laub or leaf, and a close look at the lettering. These letters, very lovely, bit like Jugendstill lettering, no? The NSG KdF, like in the theaterposters and variétéprograms of the 1920s? Also the Eichenlaub-like decoratings around the edge, make it very luxuriouslooking. Very nice design, bit like a real medal.

NSDAP Gau Franken was formed in 1929 by joining Mittelfranken with district bezirk Nürnberg-Fürth. Leiter until 1940 was Julius Streicher. This Streicher was a bit of a riot, and got booted as Gauleiter so the Gau was left without Leitung till 1944 when Karl Holz took over. Btw, its fun to look a bit into Streicher, he also did the {in!!}famous Herkules Halle speech in Nürnberg in 1932. This speech called "Kampf dem Weltfeind" and that shows well how radical national socialist and antisemitic he was if you understand the subject was racial-nature. Anyways, see here if intersted, theres also parts of that speech there. Still Streicher was not the KdF Gauwart! I think that {could} have been Paul Dürr? But I only found 1 mention somewhere in some pdf hidden away and you need a supscription to some library to read more. A KdF Gau magazine often has a preface by the Gauwart, still looking for something like that for Gau Franken.

Anyhow, a real problemcolour this blank metal, to put in a shot, but, here it is!

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Franken_KdF_DAF_1b.jpg (122.09 KB, 173 downloads)
Front
Gau_Franken_KdF_DAF_2b.jpg (120.99 KB, 173 downloads)
Back
Gau_Franken_KdF_DAF_3b.jpg (119.27 KB, 174 downloads)
Front closer
Gau_Franken_KdF_DAF_4b.jpg (115.86 KB, 173 downloads)
Detail upperside
Gau_Franken_KdF_DAF_5b.jpg (120.51 KB, 170 downloads)
Detail lowerside

Krullies #238267 01/28/2011 11:15 PM
Nice one K. I agree, it can be difficult to photograph some of these items. I have trouble with bright silver items and sometimes bronze items.

--dj--Joe
My bronze example like your silver.

KDF.jpg (78.74 KB, 161 downloads)

<BR>
derjager #238570 02/01/2011 08:16 PM
Wim Offline
I saw some beautiful little gems here. And Karin, your photographical qualities are stunning. Please don't tell me you're using just an ordinary compact camera.

Regards, Wim

Wim #238614 02/02/2011 03:54 AM
L
L

NICE items here!

lloyd #238646 02/02/2011 08:29 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: lloyd

NICE items here!

Hi Lloyd,

thanks for the kind remark, Im glad you like these! You have something KdF too?

...My bronze example like your silver.

Joe hey!!

Your bronze(ish?) Gau Franken is very gorgeous! Again this fabulous condition you have, oh my, where you ever found those! Thanks for sharing that one!

Originally Posted By: Wim
I saw some beautiful little gems here. And Karin, your photographical qualities are stunning. Please don't tell me you're using just an ordinary compact camera.

Regards, Wim

Wim, what a surprise?! Gems, well, YES, these are awesome! Great you like them too! My qualities, ha ha, well, thanks, I guess, for the compliment? Practise practise practise, helps when you have time too much to kill, no? And, no, I wont tell you, about that compactcam and all. Or, maybe, YES, I will! Thats how it started at least? I sorta confiscated a Fuji Finepix S5000? And molested it too, ahem, BUT, itsa great cam still, and, its not about the cam realy is it? I mean, take a million $$$ cam, still people will shoot junk with it. And others, do wonders and make art with cams in mobiles, no? BUT, That FinePix has a pretty great Fujinon lense, and a pretty whopping max-aperture of 2.8, which actualy turns out a bit less big if you look at the results but it is impressive for macros and stuff.
However, no, no more compactcam, these recent shots, are made difrently! I was in Santa's "nice" book last Xmas, and, the big fellow brought me many presents, and Im breakin in this here new profi DSLR supercam PLUS 2 epic lenses! Its totally crammed with options and settings and stuff, will be a good while before I get the hanfg of all that, but, very cool to get to know! Anyways Ill PM the brand + lenses, Ill just feel like bragging, and Im not at all in any mood to start a "hey offtopic" or a "hey that brand is no good this brand is better with such lense and so and so", in the end, its just what anyone feels OK with, yes? Bsides, this cam/lense obviously is way better anyhow *LOL*

Cheers,
KR

OP Offline
OK we have metals, plastic, EFO's and porcelain even wood, but not this yet. This Abzeichen for KdF Gau Koblenz-Trier is made of clay. Truly very nice! Its nothing like any Allach statue or anything but imagine the very small size and then look at the beautiful image sculpted on the tinnie! Its lovely! A nice glazing coating, and, reckon its backed a couple times too. Showing 2 details here, look at her face! Theres little eyes and a nose ... OK, the nose is a bit scruffy, but, hows your nose at 70+?! Also, showing the nice little grapes at the bottom, with the leafes and all even! Amazing, no? No maker at the back, unfortunatly, but the claymould (I think they did?) for this surely took some time to make. This one,is in Tiëste on page 510 of the A-K book of 2010 edition. The background, is a DAF propaganda shot from a Volksfest in Trier in a DAF brochure.

The area between Koblenz and Trier, is also called Moselland in German. Very lovely area, see impression here. NSDAP Gauleiter was Gustav Simon. No trace of any KdF Leitung anywhere, not even has anything. Would anybody know if students from abroad have limited access compared to US students? I think I found the Handbuch der NSDAP-Gaue at JSTOR before I had my schoollogin active? Anyone from US has access to it? If so, does that have any names of Gauwarten or Kreiswarten for KdF?

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Koblenz_Trier_1c.jpg (121.38 KB, 135 downloads)
Front
Gau_Koblenz_Trier_2c.jpg (119.58 KB, 135 downloads)
Back
Gau_Koblenz_Trier_3c.jpg (104.29 KB, 135 downloads)
Closeup little face
Gau_Koblenz_Trier_4c.jpg (109.28 KB, 134 downloads)
Closeup little grapes

nice to see all these gems coming out this a very interesting area to collect

PAUL

OP Offline
Thanks Paul! Its very nice to see you like these too! And, YES, itsa supertopic to collect! Its got it all; awesome designs, epic complex politics an treacherus plots to learn about, KdF was evrywhere through the Reich so it tells many stories, and thats just the beginning. I still have your impresive flag on my mind, I hope to get back at that .. but for now, lets drift a bit ...

Robert Ley, fcourse yall know, he was the leader of DAF. He said, "Es kommt nicht darauf an, wie weit jemand springt, sondern daß er springt." And Ley truly believed that, and, in itself, his words are true, no? Very wise saying in fact. Many today should take advice from that and not be so judgemental or maliciouspleased about somebody trying, instead of cheering for the effort to try. Sport was a big thing in German 3rd Reich propaganda-land, and when KdF got founded and formed and progressed, sports were a big deal for the Freizeitsorganisation KdF. Kraft durch Freude, Freude durch Kraft. Reckon also to make people competitive and battleready a bit. In 1934, the first physical education course was founded in Berlin. This was a big succes and from then on in 1934 more and more courses and institutions for sports were formed. By end 1935, Germany had over 60 Sportämter, and end 1936 ALL the NSDAP Gaue and 680 Kreisen had their own Sportamt. National Socialistische Gemeinschaft Kraft Durch Freude named Gausportwarten and Kreissportwarten. In 1934, there were some 900 sports instructors in action. Next year, this was 1600 instructors. And in 1937, 7000! Kraft durch Freude Sport was born, and how!

In 1935, KdF Sport was still growing strong but not yet fully grown. In 1938 KdF Sport became THE Sports organisation of Germany. Before 1938, the Deutscher Reichsbund für Leibesübungen was the leading sports organisation. This DRL sorta got slowly obsorbed by KdF Sport. With this in mind, maybe, this badge is in place here. This pin is from 1935. And its made, by this E.O Friedrich from Leipzig again. The pin is made from, what Tiëste calls in his books Lederplastik. The DRGM at the back, means Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster (3rd Reich registered design) so reckon the pin was only allowed to be made by Friedrich. The pin is maybe not very rare, but the pin with little green/white ribbons attached still IS special! Mostly now these ribbons are gone. The design, gorgeous, very much like the old greeks/romans; proud atheletic faces looking fiercly up, honorcrowns from branches on the heads, styled like the ancient olympic athletes statues. Very epic and very beautiful. Funny little detail for the closer looker there, the supertiny little swastika on the hairband or ribbon there. Took me a lookingglass to spot that!
Anyways, not 100% KdF maybe, but sicnificant in the whole picture, and its another pin by Friedrich. And WHAT a goodlooker! The background, is the cover of the magazine "Leibesübungen met Kraft durch Freude" from september 1935. I can scan it to post if anybodys intrested.

Enjoy,
KR

Laufen_des_Deutsche_Reichsbundes_für_Leibesübungen_3c.jpg (120.02 KB, 111 downloads)
Front closer
Laufen_des_Deutsche_Reichsbundes_für_Leibesübungen_4c.jpg (115.68 KB, 110 downloads)
Back closer
Laufen_des_Deutsche_Reichsbundes_für_Leibesübungen_5c.jpg (122.39 KB, 108 downloads)
Design closeup

OP Offline
KdF made the effort to educate, or better said indoctrinate, in every way, and also together with DAF and NSDAP, to get rid of decline/decay/waste and build/rebuild on that. Technical stuff, progress, inprove, develop, everything. Radio was cracking hot that time! Even the first KdF.-holidaytrain had its own radiostation in München, playing tunes for the relaxing holiday people in the train enjoying views. There was no organisation for artists rights, forbidding to play music in public anywhere, like trains or work. Attached, a shot of the radiostation for the first holidaytrain (pic 4), and a shot of the radiostation of a company; Betriebsrundfunkanlage der Dresdener Gardinen und Spitzenmanufaktur (pic 5). There were more KdF-holidaytrains and if that topic intresests you then look for the booktitle "Ein KdF.-Urlauberzug rollt ins Salzkammergut," (maybe here) or go see this. Theres surely some nice free knowledge out there. Also, in that link above, much to read about radio, or Funk, in German. Like, all radiostations, were obligated to play each an every talk/speech Hitler did anywhere. Ofcourse, also other rules, regultations and all that. Control over/influence people by radio. And present the technology as fun. This pin, is for a KdF trip to the Berliner Funkausstellung, the exhibition of/for radio(technology), in 1938. Theres another of these for a year earlier, that pin is maybe twice the size of this? The one here is about 2.5 centimetres high and 2 centimetres wide (1 by 0.8 inches). Smashing design, proud little eagles head, in front of the swastika. In Tiëste on page 91 of book A-K of 2010 edition.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_Funkausstellung_Berlin_1938_1c.jpg (119.69 KB, 102 downloads)
Front
KdF_Funkausstellung_Berlin_1938_2c.jpg (120.49 KB, 103 downloads)
Front closeup
KdF_Funkausstellung_Berlin_1938_3c.jpg (117.75 KB, 103 downloads)
Back closeup
KdF_Funkausstellung_Berlin_1938_4c.jpg (117.98 KB, 104 downloads)
KdF_Funkausstellung_Berlin_1938_5c.jpg (120.45 KB, 102 downloads)
Betriebsrundfunkanlage der Dresdener Gardinen und Spitzenmanufaktur.

L
L

NEAT items here! I LOVE the pics!

A
A
I hope this fits into this thread but here's an item in my collection. If nothing else it shows that the Germans had a medal for for just about anything. Sorry about the washed out center on the front as I had to shoot this under artificial light.
Jim

2011_0209rollerhockey0004.JPG (114.39 KB, 161 downloads)
2011_0209rollerhockey0005.JPG (112.63 KB, 161 downloads)
Last edited by jim m; 02/10/2011 04:24 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: lloyd

NEAT items here! I LOVE the pics!

Thanks Lloyd! Nice comments are always appreciated

Originally Posted By: jim m
I hope this fits into this thread but here's an item in my collection. If nothing else it shows that the Germans had a medal for for just about anything. Sorry about the washed out center on the front as I had to shoot this under artificial light.
Jim

Hi Jim! Youre very right! Medals for anything, YES! And why wouldnt it fit here? It links to some posts back, so, thanks much for sharing this! That is a very beautiful plaqete, wow! I like the Rollhockey part! Ha ha, thats cool, when all is good I do evrything on skeelers, so, very nice! To share the sidestep, from Abzeichen this time not from KdF, look at pic number 4 attached! Hows THAT for collectable?! A nice KdF Kodak-Box 620 camera! Thats gotta at least make a few people grin? Its not mine, I just found it somewhere. Your sportsaward must be realy rare, no? Probably is more expensive then evrything togethere here!?? Is it made of horn? Or bone? Or .. ?

Anyhow, back on KdF, what IS mine, is a lovely Delitzsch - Volks- und Heimatfest 3. und 4. Juli 1937 Abzeichen, that shows the KdF logo. Yes, by Friedrich again! And from Nitroplast this time. Seems a bit more thin then Efoplast Abzeichen but thats just coincidence maybe. Its super detailed, this! Very nice to sit an watch it with a lookingglass sorta like a peepbox, you know, you made as child? Truly very nice colours, this blue brownish. At the back, the maker and "D.R.P.a.", meaning "Deutsches Reichspatent angemeldet", so, another design officialy only made by Friedrich.

Here you can find nice postal stamps for that fest. in 1937 btw the towns Dewitz, Döbitz and Plösitz were added to Delitzsch.

The background, a dancegroup performing Heimattänze in KdF-Stadt. So not Delitzsch but still nice. KdF-Stadt, we know from Volkswagen Werk, and is today known as Wolfsburg, very near Fallersleben, were most of the people, that built the KdF Wagens came from.

Enjoy,
KR

VolksUndHeimatfest1937_1c.jpg (119.02 KB, 148 downloads)
Front
VolksUndHeimatfest1937_2c.jpg (122.49 KB, 147 downloads)
Back
VolksUndHeimatfest1937_3c.jpg (121.69 KB, 145 downloads)
Closeup
KdF-Fotobox-620-1.jpg (83.94 KB, 146 downloads)
Kraft durch Freude picture camera?! Awseome ;)
Last edited by Krullies; 02/11/2011 05:08 PM.

Jim,

Very nice looking award and case, great condition.

KR,

Another exceptional KdF pin, you have a great eye for these.
How did you find that neat camera? Good to see you're staying "focused" on the KdF items ... grin

Best!

Bill

OP Offline
Hi William and Jim!

Focus! Ha ha, that cam, its a cracker aint it? Its fun! Also nice for a fotografhy museum, no? Found it by surprise, but its disapeared now, we tracked it tho, and, well, I hope I can focus on that cam more some day soon! Thanks for the remark on the pin. Couldnt believ no one else placed bids on it? I saw only 1 other of these at a dealer, for a majorrr price! So, yes, Im stoked with it! Its truly so nice to look at.

Jim, your award, I just know I found a Rollhockey shot somewhere, I want to show you, but, Im overlooking it I reckon. So, I did find this, not hockey, but it surely links to rolling! Some nice history on Rollhocky here or here, for exemple.

Anyhow, thanks guys

Cheers,
KR

Rollschuhlaufen.jpg (120.92 KB, 122 downloads)
Rollschuhlaufen, ein KdF-Sport mit Zukunft!

paulbear #239967 02/21/2011 02:13 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: paulbear
here is my STRENGTH THROUGH JOY flag just acquired and came back with a CANADIAN VET AND OFF A VESSEL NAME UNKNOWN

I rreally wanted to show your flag waving from a boat, but, I cant! I tried, sorry .. Instead, I can show you your flag on a menu, used on the Wilhelm Gustloff. The ship is named after the killed National Socialist party leader in Switserland. The killer was a student who rebelled against the very loud antisemitic views and works of Gustloff. The ship was built in 1936, was the first KdF ship, and, put to water in 1937. You can see a shot from the Stappellauf in shot 4. The ship, was as unlucky as the person it was named after. You can read all about this massive ship here or here and much much more. Shots 1 - 4, the menu, with your flag on it, and some fotographs of the ship. The menu is kinda special, it was for november 9, and, it mentions the memorial parade for the fallen of 1923! There were many more ships, KdF made a whole fleet. The Robert Ley, named after the leader of DAF and founder of KdF, was built in 1938, started work in 1939. Shot 5 shows Robert Ley, and that ship. Anyhow, if I ever find a shot waving your flag Paul Ill post it yes?

Bye,
KR

WG_1_c.jpg (118.97 KB, 110 downloads)
Menu
WG_2_c.jpg (120.45 KB, 110 downloads)
Menu inside
WG_3_c.jpg (119.71 KB, 111 downloads)
Wilhelm Gustloff
WG_4_c.jpg (121.52 KB, 110 downloads)
Stapellauf
Robert_Ley.jpg (122.3 KB, 110 downloads)
Robert Ley

OP Offline
Grundsteinlegung, the laying of the 1st stone of the Volkswagenwerk! Very much looked for this Abzeichen, and very hard to find a real one, surely must be THE most sought after KdF pin? People that like cars, people that like Volkswagen or Käfer, people that collect pins, people that collect militaria, and, theres 1 or 2 maybe like me, doing KdF stuff. When you go look for this pin you'll find many fakes, and, the variety of what pins you find, should make you very careful! The best references, are period books and magazines and other publications. But not evrything is in these, or the magazines didnt always survive?

2nd shot is the pin, next to a picture of it in a 1938 publication; a big KdF book, "Unter dem Sonnenrad". The whole Deutsche Volkswagen story is there, but also SO VERY many other facts and stories, evrything KdF is in it, till 1938 ofcourse, in all its National Socialist propaganda ways. Its truly a very intresting book if youre into this stuff. Well, I surely am anyhow. Also, some shots of pics in the book; 1 shows the Grundsteinlegungabzeichen actually in wear! Look closely, to the shot of the Führer in the Käfer, the 2nd upper body you see, where Hitlers cap touches the Ärmelband of the body behind him? On the collar there. Blurry, but still, a very very rare shot of this Abzeichen in wear. How cool is that?! Also, another shot I like, of Robert Ley and Hitler, and some others, looking at a scaled Käfer model. Hitler, quirkyly touching or tapping the bonnet, as if hes not sure, if its gonna growl at him or bite him or anything *LOL*

All the new Reichsautobahnen needed traffic, so, everybody could get a car, in the concept of the KdF-Wagen. In theory ofcourse. No one ever got their KdF-Wagen. Still, after the war, the car began a long successful life, no? Ivan Hirst really saved the car that started in 1934; Talks about the car and idea began between Hitler and Porsche in 1934. In 1937, Robert Ley founded the Gesellschaft zur Forbereitung des Deutschen Volkswagens. Near Fallersleben, a new citylike thing came to be, known as KdF-Stadt, were the Volkswagenwerk was buildt. Fallersleben was the city most workers came from that buildt the KdF-Wagens. KdF-Stadt is now called Wolfsburg. Many foreign (to Germany) workers build the Vokswagenwerk, mostly Italians. The saving-for-a-car concept, was new and we still have such systems today, like much other KdF things like grouptraveling, mass holiday resorts for exemple.

In the 1st shot, you see many papers, like a Sparkarte, and Quitungen, and forms, and KdF-Wagen-correspondance, awesomely impressive ... a big part showing the saving of a person for the KdF-Wagen! Even with orignal KdF envelopes. AND, correspondance from the organisation that tried to get back the money (or part of) for KdF-Wagen savers, from Volkswagen. Did you know, an after war organization for Volkswagen Sparer existed? It did a lawsuit against Volkswagen. The final verdict of that lawsuit was in 1961, on 19 oktober. The Bundesgerichtshof in Karlsruhe decided, that DAF was responsible for the savings and not Volkswagen, this cleared Volkswagenwerk from any more lawsuits and the company didnt have to pay back any money. No saver ever did get the money back from DAF. A nice background artickle in Der Spiegel in 1950. If you like, find more info here. Ricardo also put some nice stuff here some time ago.

Bye,
KR

KdF_Wagen_Grundsteinlegung_1b.jpg (122.41 KB, 101 downloads)
Abzeichen and papers
Grundsteinlegung_2b.jpg (120.25 KB, 100 downloads)
Front
Grundsteinlegung_3b.jpg (121.05 KB, 100 downloads)
Back
Grundsteinlegung_4b.jpg (120.46 KB, 99 downloads)
Abzeichen "in wear"
Grundsteinlegung_5b.jpg (121.85 KB, 100 downloads)
:)

I had to look twice to see the inwear pic. smile
Nice find K, and as always a great presentation.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
KR,

Your photography is top-notch, and the well thought out layouts add much zest to the items ... bravo!

W~

OP Offline
Thank you both Sirs, for the nice comments Actually, there are discussions about what this Abzeichen is made from? I thought its metal, but, its from bakelite! I thought bakelite was very hard plastic, and never knew about it, or that it comes in so many types! During the 1940s the US government even planned to make coins out of bakelite. Some jewelry is even made from it too, and ... this Grundsteinlegungsabzeichen. See here how to possibly test this.

Another Abzeichen thats printed in the 1938 KdF book; the Sportappell der Betriebe 1938 Abzeichen. That IS made of plastic, another nice one by Sieper und Söhne. The Werkscharen, workers organised in units, much like troops, were much used from about 1935. These used the community feeling, as prescribed by DAF, to form close plant communities that worked very hard, well organized and smoothly. These used sports to get workers fit and to get the teamspirits up. Employees had to do ballsports, calisthenics, gymnastics and whatever, as much as they could do. This "sports in the plants" was part of the "Beauty of Labor", promoted by the Amt für Schönheit der Arbeit. Every year, the Amt had a theme, like the Reichsparteitagen. In 1938, the theme was Gesunde Luft im Arbeitsraum. The pin is nicely marked at the back.

Enjoy,
KR

Sportappel_1.jpg (122.79 KB, 83 downloads)
Sportappell der Betriebe
Sportappel_2.jpg (120.42 KB, 84 downloads)
Front
Sportappel_3.jpg (121.82 KB, 82 downloads)
Back
Last edited by Krullies; 03/01/2011 08:10 PM. Reason: title

D
D
Its a real pleasure going through the thread you guys have going here.
That Gau München-Oberbayern pin on page 1 is a real beauty.Very stunning.
Thanks for the great work.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dean Perdue
..That Gau München-Oberbayern pin on page 1 is a real beauty.Very stunning...

Hi mister Perdue!

Thanks, and yes, that truly is such a beautiful Abzeichen! Had'nt touch it in ages it seems, and, I forgot how heavy it is, when you compare it to tinnies! It surely is a brooch, very thick metal, not flimsy at all. Funny you should bring it up now, a commercial advertising for the KdF-Wagen reads "5 Mark die Woche mußt Du sparen – willst Du im eignen Wagen fahren! Über Anschaffungspreis und Zahlungsweise erteilen Auskunft alle Betriebswarte und Dienststellen der NS.-Gemeinschaft Kraft durch Freude Gau München-Oberbayern". Headquarters of DAF and KdF for Bavaria, was in München at Brienner Straße 26–28, untill KdF took over a big classic building from a successfull semitic bookseller, J. Rosenthal, for hardly any money, ofcourse. Some nice deep Gau infos can be found here. The pretty Edelweiss already discussed here.

Maybe, its OK to post another few shots, but closer up? Couldnt get this close back when I made the others .. Look at those little details! Many tinnies are really goodlooking, and, I like to dive into them with lookingglass, imagine how these got designed back in that time, drawing or sculpted, and from that, molded, and many times made, amazing! Even little cloth-threads around the pin at the back still.

Also, I was thinking, now I know a very little bit more about KdF, this KdF-Betreuerinnen brooche, what were the Betreuerinnen for? For KdF or from KdF? I mean, did they promote KdF, or were they from the KdF-Truppen-Betreuung? The entertaining/wellbeing of the fighting troops or ocupation force? Does anyone know this? Anyways, thanks again, and enjoy!

Bye,
KR

KdF_Betreuerin_1.jpg (120.69 KB, 166 downloads)
KdF_Betreuerin_2.jpg (122.38 KB, 165 downloads)
KdF_Betreuerin_3.jpg (121.44 KB, 164 downloads)
KdF_Betreuerin_4.jpg (121.39 KB, 163 downloads)

Wim Offline
You are really talented, do you know that! Even a dull old penny would look great if pictured by you.

Regards, Wim

Wim. You are 100% correct about Karin. She does take some very excellent pictures.
Rod

Karin,
Thank you very much for what is, no doubt, the most informative thread on the KdF available anywhere. I, and I'm sure others have learned a great deal from your excellent postings and superb photography.

Here is my only KdF item; a 4mm JG Anschutz training rifle. Hopefully you can provide more information on the KdF shooting programs?

100_4519 (Medium).jpg (97.42 KB, 141 downloads)
100_4530 (Medium).jpg (83.12 KB, 142 downloads)
100_4529 (Medium).jpg (73.61 KB, 134 downloads)

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
Thanks to Karin & Bill, I've even learned a bit more about the Salamander Shoe Company on pages 4 & 5 of this thread.
Bill, a bit off topic but thought you might be interested in seeing my G98 ammunition pouch dated 1915. Bad lighting, but it says "J. Sigle & Cie, Kornwestheim, Salamander Schuhfabriken".

100_7090-rotated (Medium).jpg (71.97 KB, 158 downloads)
100_7092 (Medium).JPG (91.29 KB, 156 downloads)
100_7096 (Small).JPG (88.93 KB, 155 downloads)
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/09/2011 07:56 PM.

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
Denny,

That's a super looking rifle, wow! Is that something like a .19 caliber, pellet-like deal? In a word, exceptional !! Really a fabulous addition to Karin Renate's nice thread.
Not only does this creative young lady bring us some fine research and photography, she seems to bring out the best in us, too ! cool

I've admired many of your great posts over the years Denny and applaud your efforts being a great ambassador for the the hobby. There's no doubt you're an 'old-school' gentleman. Thanks for that...

Bill Warda

Hello Bill,
I can't remember for certain, but think the 4mm is the approximate equivalent of .16 calber. Here are some pics of the cartridge used. In one photo, I have used a .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge for comparison.

Also, thank you for the kind words. Coming from someone as esteemed in the hobby as yourself is a compliment of the highest order.

100_1611 (Medium).JPG (77.9 KB, 145 downloads)
100_1610 (Medium).JPG (77.18 KB, 143 downloads)
100_7101 (Medium).JPG (71.47 KB, 144 downloads)
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/10/2011 07:05 PM.

Denny Gaither #241212 03/11/2011 10:54 AM
OP Offline
Oh my, what a lot of posts by new people to me too, awesome, and, staring at the screen unsure of what to respond! Im truely honoured guys, gosh .. stammer-stammer .. Ill just go by them 1 by 1?

Originally Posted By: Wim
..Even a dull old penny would..

Originally Posted By: SSman
..does take some very excellent..

Weeeell guys, not sure, Im just havin a freak with the things a bit, and then Im only pushing the clickettybutton, honestly, many of them dont need much to make it look great, they are nicelooking, Im not making them do that, but, thanks for the compliment Still, even simple Abzeichen, maybe not even intresting to anyone, it has no swastika or symbol, just a little farm, or house, or trees, but even that looks stunning! Ill attach one yes? A very simple pin, but, just look at it! Someone had fun making that! And you can see, they didnt get made for throwing away ... theres a bunch of these, for Gau Koblenz-Trier, already discussed here. Thers like 6 designs in this little series but maybe more, sometimes even Tiëste finds something new! Made by at least 2 makers; Robinson in Oberstein und Hähe, and the one that did this one; Ziemer und Söhne, also in Oberstein, this maker finishes pins a little bit tidier. Ziemers Prasidialkanzlei number is 111. There exist a company called Ziemer und Söhne today but they say this started in 1959. Anyways, simple pin and maybe not very intresting but it looks great and I like it much!

Originally Posted By: Denny Gaither
..the most informative ..

Hello mister Gaither! Thanks for the compliment, Im very happy you like this, and honoured by your remark, I dont know if it is, but Im only havin fun, so, maybe, thats helps? Anyways, Im clumbsy with this so quickly rushing on before I ruin anything ... Your gun! Now THAT is amazing, I never ever anywhere saw anything like that? I would guess KdF is not about shooting BUT shooting is also sports so, yes, why not? "Eigentum des Sportamtes" on it, and the Kraft durch Freude marking, wow, its awesome to see this!! I truly know nothing of a shooting training program but definately will look for anything I can find! Guns are illegal here for people to have, only the wrong ones have guns, but pelletguns are not illegal, if you have it indoor, or shoot it on your own terrain and the pellet stays on your own terrain, and the gun aint visible to anyone not on your terrain. Something like that. I made a little Google and found this, maybe your gun now? Very very jealousy-inspiring your gun Denny, reckon its totallly impossible to find another! Enjoy it very much but you surely will. Anschutz still makes shooters. There is a pelletgun here, and I shot it a few times, but, too many birds and bunnies and others around and I dont want to hurt any of these. Still, your gun, very very epic! Does it shoot still? Do you shoot it? As soon as I find anything KdF-Schießerei Ill post, yes? Thank you so so much for sharing your KdF-treasure! Good show that! And totally new to me!

William SIR I dont understand caliber, but, the gun here so not Dennys übergewehr is a standard 4.5mm, and thats like a .177, I have the box of little pellets here tell me this *LOL* But its an old gun, and Im told pimped, or upgraded in shootingforce, whatever thats called? It goes further/harder then it did originally. The pellets are not ~~quite~~ that 4.5 size, but a bit bigger? So these are unstandard 4.52, which, well, obviously exist, you can buy these, and the standard 4.5 pallets just fall thru the barrel, too little. But the gun over at the link above is 4mm too, you maybe need to make your own pellets? Or make them smaller? But, Dennys gun, looks like a real gun, not a pelletgun, like the one here? The pellets look like real bullets?

.. Bill, I've even learned a bit more about the Salamander Shoe Company on pages 4 & 5 of this thread..

Ha ha, YES, no! Not offtopic at all! And if it is, never anything new without a bit offtopicing, no? Its great to see these! Great you found out about it, Salamander Schuhfabriken marking, nice, epic to see things fall in bigger pictures! is 1915 the year, or the model?

Thank you,
KR

Gau_Koblenz_Trier_1.jpg (121.28 KB, 137 downloads)
Front
Gau_Koblenz_Trier_2.jpg (121.01 KB, 138 downloads)
Closeup
Gau_Koblenz_Trier_3.jpg (120.3 KB, 136 downloads)
Closeup back

Krullies #241241 03/11/2011 06:05 PM

..the most informative ..

I made a little Google and found this, maybe your gun now? Very very jealousy-inspiring your gun Denny, reckon its totallly impossible to find another! Enjoy it very much but you surely will. There is a pelletgun here, and I shot it a few times, but, too many birds and bunnies and others around and I dont want to hurt any of these. Still, your gun, very very epic! Does it shoot still? Do you shoot it?

(Hello Karin,
Thank you for your kind words regarding my only KdF item. To answer a few of your questions - The rifle you discovered on the internet is not mine. Please notice the inscription on the receiver bridge says "Büscher Sportmodell, Nürnberg". I have seen a few of these KdF rifles with this marking. I have seen only two with the "Kraft durch Freude" marking as mine is. I have owned this rifle since 1969.
Yes, it does shoot, but I have only test fired it nearly 40 years ago. I deeply agree with you about the "birds and bunnies". I am a collector; not a hunter!)

William SIR I dont understand caliber, but, the gun here so not Dennys übergewehr is a standard 4.5mm, and thats like a .177, I have the box of little pellets here tell me this *LOL* But its an old gun, and Im told pimped, or upgraded in shootingforce, whatever thats called? It goes further/harder then it did originally. The pellets are not ~~quite~~ that 4.5 size, but a bit bigger? So these are unstandard 4.52, which, well, obviously exist, you can buy these, and the standard 4.5 pallets just fall thru the barrel, too little. But the gun over at the link above is 4mm too, you maybe need to make your own pellets? Or make them smaller? But, Dennys gun, looks like a real gun, not a pelletgun, like the one here? The pellets look like real bullets?

(My rifle is not an air/pellet gun, and the 4mm cartridges I have shown, DO have gunpowder in them.)
.. Bill, I've even learned a bit more about the Salamander Shoe Company on pages 4 & 5 of this thread..

Ha ha, YES, no! Not offtopic at all! And if it is, never anything new without a bit offtopicing, no? Its great to see these! Great you found out about it, Salamander Schuhfabriken marking, nice, epic to see things fall in bigger pictures! is 1915 the year, or the model?

(1915 is the year of manufacture for the pouch)
Thank you,
KR

Karin, thanks again for your interesting & informative thread!

Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/11/2011 06:08 PM.

Denny Gaither #241288 03/12/2011 10:23 AM
OP Offline
Hello Denny,

Woops, I didnt check your gun against the other very well then, sorry! There are even more kinds??? Since your post, I was searchin for them a bit, again without looking very properly to details or marks? There seems to be a book about "smallbores", by Jon Speed, like these? Do you know this book, is it good? I was also wondering, you probably need a permit to have these? Europe is very strict in arms, Holland even more so, I never had any intrest but, its fun to find out if people can own these here. Its a real gun then, with real bullets! Calibers work difrently for gunpowedered-guns? Anyways, your gun has totally won me over! Thanks again for posting. Still looking for KdF-shooting ...

Little question on the pouch, did 1915 pouches work during WWII too? I ~~think~~ so, but maybe, I dunno, bullets didnt fit, or .. I never looked at weapons very much ..

Oh and how did you do the inside-scrollbar-thing in the reply? Nice!

Bye,
KR

Krullies #241474 03/14/2011 08:08 PM
Hello Denny,

Woops, I didnt check your gun against the other very well then, sorry! There are even more kinds??? Since your post, I was searchin for them a bit, again without looking very properly to details or marks? There seems to be a book about "smallbores", by Jon Speed, like these? Do you know this book, is it good? 1. Jon Speed's book "Mauser Smallbores, Sporting, Target & Training Rifles" is an excellent treatise on German small caliber rifles. Another book that is nearing it's final stages before publication is written by Robert & Brad Simpson and focuses in it's entirity upon the German Training Rifle and it's variations. When this book is finally published, it will be the "bible" on this subject.
I was also wondering, you probably need a permit to have these? Europe is very strict in arms, Holland even more so, I never had any intrest but, its fun to find out if people can own these here. Its a real gun then, with real bullets!
2. We are very fortunate as no permits are needed for these guns in the U.S. and yes, it is a real gun.

Calibers work difrently for gunpowedered-guns? Anyways, your gun has totally won me over! Thanks again for posting. Still looking for KdF-shooting ...

Little question on the pouch, did 1915 pouches work during WWII too? I ~~think~~ so, but maybe, I dunno, bullets didnt fit, or .. I never looked at weapons very much ..
3. The pouch shown earlier is indeed, a WWI pouch for the German service rifles of the time. The caliber of the German rifles of both WWI & WWII were the same, so it would have been possible that it saw use during WWII. The standard WWII pouch was very similar in appearance.

Oh and how did you do the inside-scrollbar-thing in the reply?
4. The inside scroll bar will automatically appear when the length of the text within the quote box reaches a certain point.
Nice! Bye,
KR

Hello Karin,
Hope this answers your questions;
Again, I apologize for taking your thread in a somewhat different direction and hope it regains it's focus soon.

Warm Regards,
Denny

Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/14/2011 08:23 PM.

OP Offline
Hi Denny,

I like what you posted very much, and I hope you dont feel you got offtopic in any way? Your gun showed me something completely new KdF! And, I promise, Im not at all done with that soon! Already found something that has to do with your question, but, I need to do more homework. Also, I think, I may need to join up some shootingclub some future time, people need a permit here, for Kleinkaliber/Zimmergewehr even. Still, thats OK, Im not into that shooting thing, but, Kleinkaliber with KdF-marked gun, that might do it for me Still, I dunno, there seem to be some KdF-guns goin'round, but, I doubt I ever will hold one up close, not even shooting it, just see it for real. But who knows! And your pouche, by Salamander, also very at home here! In fact, I'd like very much to add something too, completely new to me, I found out about just before you posted your gun. Not long ago, I introduced it already here. But surely it deserves some proper attention right here. Also something to shoot ...

I learned I like photography. If you look here, you can search for "onboard camera with original leather case" on that page. Its a Zeiss Ikon camera, with all the KdF-markings to look very nice to me. Suddenly some time back I noticed another camera with those markings! But, it seemed to avoid me, it moved from auctionsite to sellingsite, never stayed long anywhere, but Google cache made it possible to trace the seller on some German auction thing, the camera disapeared from there already too. The camera was long sold, and the seller couldnt tell much about it. Some time later, by some luck, the seller mailed that the buyer never payed, so, it took some trouble and luck, but ...here it is! From Germany, a very friendly lady-seller put it up a box, together with a very lovely very old little Steiff teddy she had for sale.

When it arrived, it looked very bad and dirty, probably had been on an attic forgotten about for 70 years, and, I didnt know anything about it. The camera tells its a Kodak Box 620, so, that was a start. It seemed, these cameras have a nickname; Brownie Box. Some very friendly Brownie Box collector from Holland was very willing to help, he gave cleaning advise, and directions to open it, and he also has a site telling so very much about these cameras! Something new to look into, awesome! The collector never saw any of these either, so, by now, you can see this very camera proudly introduced here, and in detail here. If you wanna know a bit about these cameras, or, if you like pretty old cameras, go have a look at that site. This KdF-Kamera is only in the Dutch section still, but there is so much to learn about these!

This camera, is made in Stuttgart by the company named Kodak AG Dr. Nagel AG., and I think you'll find much info about Nagel on that Brownie-site very soon, so, check back there if you're intrested. The camera was produced from 1936 to about 1937, and has a Meniscus-lense. It would be truly awesome to shoot a WWII-time Volkswagen Käfer with it, no? And I do think, I may end up playing at Rügen with it someday, but, Im advised to buy a cheapo Brownie for that, and to leave this one safe and quiet on the shelve between some nice KdF-things. I 'll find out if it still works tho, that I wanna know about. Maybe even find a roll of film for it, to show next to. But Im still trying to open it. Its supposed to be eazy, but, Im affraid Im gonna hurt the camera, so, Im probably using too little force?

I had a bit of a hunge about it, and, so far, its true; this is truly unique, this camera! Who knows how many got made, these probably werent even expensive, Brownies sold for $1.25 sometime around 1905 in America, but, now, how many are there still with the KdF-markings? Were these sold, like the Robert Ley Kamera, on holidays, or trips? Or were these used to make KdF-promotional photoshoots, by KdF-photografers? Maybe used for photography-courses by KdF? Will surely keep looking for anymore info anywhere! I really think this is a very fun item, Im enjoying this so much! Never ever saw this anywhere else. This and Dennys gun, 2 awesome KdF-things I never knew existed. Hope you enjoy it as well, at least a bit.

Bye,
KR

KdF-Kamera_1.jpg (116.56 KB, 154 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_2.jpg (121.11 KB, 156 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_3.jpg (122.03 KB, 154 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_4.jpg (122.02 KB, 152 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_5.jpg (121.08 KB, 154 downloads)
Last edited by Krullies; 03/15/2011 10:28 PM. Reason: title

OP Offline
Some more close-ups just for fun.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF-Kamera_6.jpg (114.07 KB, 154 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_7.jpg (121.5 KB, 150 downloads)
KdF-Kamera_8.jpg (120.66 KB, 151 downloads)
Last edited by Krullies; 03/15/2011 10:28 PM. Reason: title again

- Beautiful!! -

Thanks for the great pictures.

OP Offline
Thanks very much Denny! And my pleasure! 2 small KdF-cam-updates, the english info on the amazing brownie-collectors-site is updated. This pretty box you can find on this rare/wanted page and here in detail. Also, look at the Army Airforce Brownie Boxes on that page, very pretty boxes, for the US airforce, with US markings. But theres more .. imagine this; there's actually still a roll of film in this KdF-Kodak-Box, YES. If this aint thrilling then what is??! Im being supported in getting it out. Whats inside can go many ways, but surely dont want to break or ruin anything, or waste any shots by light, so, I'm still learning all I can and building up courage for it!

Bye,
KR

K, that would be quite interesting for you if it had undeveloped period shots.

Here is another link to a site on Brownies. Lists some places where you could get film.
http://www.brownie-camera.com/articles/petelutz/article.shtml

I would imagine the carrying cases are not often found anymore. Nice and interesting collectible for you.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
A
A
Well I guess I'll really take this off topic. What was the original use of the small wooden box with drawers located behind the camera? It appears to have had metal tags attached to the front at one time.Very nice photography by the way!
Jim

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: jim m
..What was the original use of the small wooden box with drawers located behind the camera? ..

Hi Jim!

If there's gonna be an off-topic-yell we'll share the pain The little cabinet, yes, its very lovely! I love it to bits, it displays awesomely! Its very old, but thats eazy to spot. What it was for? I truly couldnt tell, but I can now. Yes it had metal little plates on the drawers. There still are 3 of those plates, inside a drawer of the cabinet. I'm never looking there, it has all sorts of personal stuff inside I maybe can't just stick my nose in? But I asked, and there were the plates, and they say, in Dutch, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Saffron, written by hand with a tiny paintbrush and paint I think, in such beautiful letters, its art. Very pretty! But the others are missing and my aunt took the remaining 3 off. So, was used for spices! Been for some generations in her family, a lucky survivor somehow. So now you know. I don't know anything about cabinets or woods, but I can check anything you want to know about it, if you're into cabinets? Thanks, for the compliment on the shots .. somehow I'm not very convinced myself, something wrong, but it all suddenly went fast with taking pics for the Brownie-collection-site, and I didnt want it to be there on show and not here! But Im still so stoked with the KdF-Kodak-Box very much, nothing ever looks good for it *LOL*

K, that would be quite interesting for you if it had undeveloped period shots. Here is another link to a site on Brownies... I would imagine the carrying cases are not often found anymore..

Hey Joe! Thanks for the Brownie-site-link! That too is a great site, when I contacted the dutch collector I didnt look at this one no more, but great to have both links here! I'm told film is scarce, but you can take a new film and roll it onto an old spindle? If you can find a spindle of an original film. Well, at least the spindle we surely have here, in the cam! And YES, if the film is used, oh my, the shots go on show here, and you surely are the very first to know! And the case, youre right about that! The original cardboard boxes are very collectable, but also these carry cases are very collectable. It looks übernice, all purple velvet inside. And ofcourse .. a superlooking KdF-Sonnenrad!

Bye,
KR

A
A
Cabinets??
Here's one I built that's in my den Karin. It's a combination of walnut and rosewood veneer. The drawers house various pieces of my collection. I've been anamateur cabinemaker for most of my likfe.
Jim

2009_0106cabinet0001.JPG (111.34 KB, 99 downloads)
OP Offline
That surley IS a great cabinet Jim! But get rid of the shoebox under it yes? Quickly! It looks better without it *LOL* Wow you're good with cabinets and all that?! Do you do cabinets to display tinnies in a good way? These get messy very eazily, no? And some tinnies surely deserve a good view at it, but also not in a dull metal letterbox-like thing, or just stuck up a piece of cloth in a frame, I dunno, there must be a way to show tinnies, with a bit of backgroundstuff maybe, make it look a period-display, but, protected behind glass, and not a big square uncozy displaycase likes shops have? Anyways, maybe I'm not making sense, but could be you thought of such a thing that I can't explain

So, to get back in KdF-tracks, here a nice Abzeichen to show. It looks like a Mitgliedsabzeichen, but its a tinnie, you can find it in Tiëste, under "Hessen-Nasau" on page 409 of 2010 edition in book 1. There are 2 versions; a gold metal and a silver metal. This is the gold. The pin I think is restored, or reattached (new solder???), or replaced? The gilding worn off, but its shows the KdF logo lovely. The shots are from back last year but look OK, so, didnt make new ones, the weather is too nice, off to enjoy that instead!

This Gau has some history that maybe is intresting to look at a bit. Early in the rise of evrything NSDAP there was much going on in this Gau. The book "So kämpften wir! Schilderungen aus der Kampfzeit der NSDAP im Gau Hessen-Nassau" gives some National Socialist stories about this. In its own history nice to read about the gettogethers and political meetings, where for exemple gold partybadge recievers Sprenger, Kuntsche und Müller almost got publicaly lynched by an audience in 1924. There is some awesome stuff to read here too about all of this but you really need to dive into Erichs posts a bit, he's into the politics and can tell much about this I'm sure! A bit of info on the So kämpften wir book here.

Gau Hessen-Nassau officially was formed in 1933, Hessen-Darmstadt was joined with Hessen-Nassau-Süd, and had the Gauleitung in Frankfurt am Mainz. Before 1933, from 1927 to 1933, there were 3 Gaue; Hessen, Hessen-Nassau-Nord and Hessen-Nassau-Süd. And from 1925 to 1927 it was just Gau Hessen. But the whole Hessen-Nassau Gaue history is more explained here. Hessen-Nassau had 5 KdF-Kreisen, in Bingen, Frankfurt, Hanau, Wetzlar and Worms. The Kreiswarten were in that order Goebel, Rußler, Trabant, Kotz and Gutting. The KdF-Gauwart was Heinrich Wantoch-Rekowski, he also was head of Gau Propaganda for the Reichs Arbeitsdienst.

Kraft durch Freude had some specified Abteilungen, Kasse, Presse, Propaganda, Reisen-Wandern-Urlaub, Volksbildung, Schönheit der Arbeit, Sport, Feierabend, Werkscharen and Volkwagen. This is very intresting, it shows a bit more about the organisation of things. The Volkswagen is interesting, so we can better understand why people after WWII tried to get their savings back from the company; Volkswagen wasn't totally independant!

Enjoy,
KR

HessenNassau_1b.jpg (117.07 KB, 179 downloads)
HessenNassau_2b.jpg (122.22 KB, 179 downloads)
HessenNassau_3b.jpg (113.09 KB, 180 downloads)
HessenNassau_4b.jpg (118.9 KB, 181 downloads)
HessenNassau_5b.jpg (120.81 KB, 179 downloads)

OP Offline
Here a pin and a parade photo postcard for the 5. Reichstagung, in 1939, in Hamburg, held by KdF. The 5th Reichstagung was held from 21 july to 25 july, Robert Ley opened the festivities with a speech and presented the results made by KdF. Robert Ley also promised that in 1940, the 1st 10.000 KdF-Wagens would be ready and deliverd to customers. July the 21st was also the 1st day of the Reichswettkämpfe der SA in Berlin, where Viktor Lutze declared the SA soldiers "politische Soldaten".

Hamburg has many Hummel-Hummel-pins, but this is not one of these. There are 2 versions of this Veranstaltungsabzeichen; white and coloured. This is the annoyingly-hard-to-shoot-white version, but sun helped to make shadows for the closeup so you can see the text. Its a porcelain pin, 3 centimeters wide (1.2 inches). Both versions are on page 379 of the Tiëste 2010 catalogue book 1. Gau Hamburg had 10 Kreiser, KdF-Gauwart for Hamburg was Friedrich Hetzel. The shipyard "Blohm und Voss" in Hamburg was the yard where the Wilhelm Gustloff was made! More Gustloff and a shot of the Stapellauf of the ship from the yard here. Hamburg Hansestadt, is a major harbour in Europe. The weekend of about may 7 is the Havengeburtstag, a big feats every year, harbor and boats made many goodlooking Hamburg-tinnies, for exemple look for SA Gruppe Hansa, at Craig Gottlieb or German War Booty, very nice pins!

On the card, flags with swastika waving proudly on poles, over a group of people from Latvia. No more then 2 years later Germany would have occupied Latvia, and made into Ostland. The 1st mass murders of ethnic people by Germany began here. Also, the first Nicht Arische Kinder for the Lebensbornprogram came from here. If you want to read something that haunts at night, go dig into this scary stuff. Anyway, the Reichstagungs photocard, because of the Latvian people on it, very intresting.

The pin says "Kraft durch Freude Reichtagung 1939 Hamburg". Of the card, not only the photo is interesting, but also the back; its a special commemorative card, with a special postalstamp, marked and dated for the day. The postalstamp of the dancing couple in traditional clothes is truly lovely.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_1.jpg (116.34 KB, 166 downloads)
Front
KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_2.jpg (122.2 KB, 165 downloads)
Back
KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_3.jpg (121.02 KB, 165 downloads)
Closeup
KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_4.jpg (118.65 KB, 163 downloads)
Postalstamp

OP Offline
And the card is nice enuff to show by itself.

Bye,
KR

KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_5.jpg (121.61 KB, 162 downloads)
Front
KdF_Reichstagung_Hamburg_6.jpg (119.01 KB, 159 downloads)
Back

Very nice Karin!

OP Offline
Thanks Erich Could use help on Thüringen versius Hessen-Nassau, yes I take the lazy way out but you know all about Coburg (Thüringen) and days are shorter everyday, so, I wonder, does Coburg have anything to do with what the book "So Kämpften Wir!" tells about Hessen-Nassau? Or is it just the same but other people, other district? Or is it not anything likewise at all and so a silly question?

Bye,
KR

Krullies #242087 03/25/2011 01:30 PM
OP Offline
Not KdF but something I couldnt let go, and have to make right .. Ofcourse, Coburg is NOT Thüringen! I was very wrong to have a quick look at the not detailed enougf map. In fact, Coburg touches Thüringen, but its totally a different thing! Coburg, was a monarchy before 1918, and duke Carl Eduard Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha ended it. The people decided not to let Coburg join Thüringen, so, instead, in 1920, Coburg was joined with the independant state Bayern. And then, in 1922, National Socialsm, got more popular in Coberg then anywhere else in Germany. In 1929, for the very first time ever, the NSDAP, won the majority in the election for city council. In 1932, Coburg was the first city that gave Hitler the honourable citizen title. So, Coburg, is where it all really started for National Socialists. Coburg, btw, was relatively undamaged before and during the war. The peoples decision to NOT let Coburg join Thüringen had a big effect in 1945; Thüringen came under Russian supervision, and Coburg, that was Bayern, was under Allied supervision. So, no, the book "So Kämpften Wir", has really nohing to do with Coburg, but only wih the NSDAP political battle to grab the power. See some amazing Coburg-stuff here.

KR

Krullies #242093 03/25/2011 03:10 PM
OP Offline
Thüringen, it had to be next, after the above posts, no? Here you can already see a pretty heart-shape pin for Thüringen. The green symbol returns for Thüringen a lot, and I couldn't find anything about what the symbol means. Well then it struck me, very simpel, Thüringen, is the center of Germany! And the nature is very very beautiful, so, its Germany's green heart! Ha ha! Silly I really was looking for green heart symbols. Here another pin, that shows the green heart. Made from, maybe porcelain, or plastic, or pressed paper. Tiëste calls it Preßmasse, that means molding compound. Its quite big, almost 4.5 centimeters/1.8 inches in diametre. No marks on the back, only writing, I think a price, somewhere over the years?

KdF Gauwart was Alfred Rosenburg. He was a NSDAP-extremist. He was Reichsleiter der NSDAP, and from 1934 also leader of several NS-Verbände and did foreign affairs for NSDAP. Some of what he did is explained in the book "Kämpferische Wissenschaft", (Studien zur Universität Jena im Nationalsocialismus). Jena, is one of the 26 Kreiser in Thüringen (Altenburg-Stadt, Altenburg-Land, Arnstadt, Eichsfeld, Eisenach, Erfurt-Land/Weißensee, Erfurt-Stadt, Gera, Gotha-Land, Gotha-Stadt, Greiz, Hildburghausen, Jena, Langensalza, Meiningen-Nord, Meiningen-Süd, Mühlhausen, Nordhausen-Südharz, Rudolstadt, Saalfeld, Schleiz, Schmalkalden-Suhl-Schleusingen, Sondershausen, Sonneberg, Stadtroda and Weimar).

KdF did very well in Thüringen, and the theaters did many very big KdF-theater-plays and concerts. The shows could be so big and glamourous, cause in Thüringen they started first with using forced labour and slave labour. Thüringen is the Gau of the first (1933) concentration camp called Nohra, it was formed by "Verordnung zum Schutz von Volk und Staat". So yes, not only the KdF-Gauwart was an extremist but also the NSDAP Gauleiter in Thüringen; Fritz Sauckel. He was Gauleiter from 1927 to 1945. Even late into the war, KdF together with Gustloff-Werke and Fritz Sauckel-Werk organised plays and concerts in Weimar right next to concentrationcamp Buchenwald, on a large "suitable" terrain. The view on the camp was common knowledge to local people. Really quite bizar, no? Thüringen also was the Gau where the Gestapo was formed in 1934. It was the Gau of the Kirchenkampf, Gau of the the first jewish company that got stolen by NSDAP, and where all the horrifying actions by National Socialism against semitics and other "threatening" people began. Sauckel really was the ideal Gauleiter from Hitlers point of view. Remnants of housing for forced labour that wasnt put in concentrationcamps can still be found but they disappear fast.

Like all other German states, in January 1934 Thüringen lost the independance, cause of the first Gesetz über den Neuaufbau des Reichs, this made all states equal, and no longer independant, but all is one bigger country as a whole. You can already guess that the second Gesetz, put all states under rule of Hitler, when he placed important NSDAP-people in key places in every state. But Thüringen has a lot more of NSDAP-hitory, just browse this for exemple, search for "Thüringen".
Also, the NSDAP had big underground complexes, like REIMAHG Me 262. Also, the V1 and V2 rockets were built in Thüringen, by Mittelwerk, using slave-laborours from Buchenwald concentrationcamp, and also from Dora concentrationcamp (Dora-Mittelbau). If you start to look into Thüringen and the NSDAP-history of it, it gets more and more! And suddenly, a thing like this KdF-Stahlhelm, dont't look so unexpectedly weird anymore! Also, for some real nice Thüringen-pins and other stuff, look here or here. I can only add this maybe not special but real nice KdF-Abzeichen. You'd surely NEVER suspect any such stories behind this pin with the lovely green heart ...

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Thüringen_1.jpg (122.21 KB, 124 downloads)
Gau_Thüringen_2.jpg (115.7 KB, 125 downloads)
Closeup front
Gau_Thüringen_3.jpg (121.41 KB, 124 downloads)
Closeup back
Gau_Thüringen_4.jpg (115.13 KB, 126 downloads)
Closeup heart

Krullies #242097 03/25/2011 04:28 PM
Karin, you are dead on about Thuringen being the "Green Heart of Germany". Doing a quick Google search will return lots of hits.
Here are a few pictures of a friend's .22 caliber DSM-34 training rifle that is thought to have been manufactured under the auspices of a Thuringen/Zella Mehlis consortium that was evidently set up in the late '30's. Not much is known why this group existed, or why training rifles were marked with this "logo" rather than simply using the manufacturer's logo such as Walther. Sorry I can't expound further on this subject, but wanted to submit these photos to show the "Das Grüne Herz Deutschlands".

Green Heart of Germany (Medium).jpg (53.55 KB, 121 downloads)
Green Heart of Germany 2 (Medium).jpg (59.72 KB, 121 downloads)
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/25/2011 04:51 PM.

OP Offline
Thanks! Yes, the heart, took me a ssllooowww while to get it myself *LOL* Totally very amazing again, your rifle! Look at that!! Don't shoot at my little tinnies please! My, you must have a real arsenal there? Anyways I ~~think~~ when I searched for your KdF Kleinkaliber you posted last week here, I saw your DSM-34 in the Bundesarchives, here, used by Hitler Jugend. The archive doesnt let you link easy, or I don't get it, but, that link works for me, and you can also do a fulltext for "146-1981-053-35A", the shot is also in a photobucket of someone here. Thanks again for showing Denny That must be fun collecting, those! Just a ~~tad~~ unreachably hefty priced And also a tad officially not allowed overhere Or maybe, without firing trigger it is, but that would also spoil the fun a bit? How much of them do you have? Any more fun logos to show? You should make a topic for these! Or is there already? Im no shooter but I'm truly so jealous ... specially of that epic KdF-Anschutz!

Bye,
KR

Krullies #242119 03/25/2011 10:49 PM
Karin, again a great thread. Here is the only book that I know of on the Battle of Coburg.

TorT 002.jpg (13.83 KB, 103 downloads)
OP Offline
Thanks Eric! I was secretly hoping you showed something Thüringen or Coburg! The 100th post in KdF! And, this 100th post is even about guns?!? Never would've expected that ever, for both things! Thanks to everyone who contributes and reads here!

...Here is my only KdF item; a 4mm JG Anschutz training rifle. Hopefully you can provide more information on the KdF shooting programs?..

Hi Denny! Well, the shootingprogram, actualy, adds to the Thüringen-post above! Coincidence, yes! The 1920s, lots was goin on in Germany, and early 1930s, Germany was in full relaunch, and people were inspired/told/teached to take care of themselves, their living environment, and also Germany as a whole. Kämpfen really is the word that NSDAP loves very much, and people were "educated" for battle readyness. Physical fitness was very important, and there was much attention for sports. Kraft durch Freude got to be the leading organisation for many of this and more, already told a bit here.

In the 1930s, they took much effort to make shooting and learning to shoot a big sport in Germany. The very first Reichsschießschule Für die Hitler Jugend was formed in Obermaasfeld, Thüringen. The yearbook for young people "Der Gute Kamerad 1937-1938" tells a bit about how from all over Germany they came to the Thüringen Reichsschießschule to learn how to handle guns and shoot. 2 chosen Hitler Jugend Mitglieder, came together from every Gau or district. These were called "Anwärten", and were educated to be Schießwarten for their Gau/district.

This ofcourse was all grouped around the area Thüringen, the landscape was very suitable for shooting. To make shooting more popular, and better reachable for more people evrywhere, a Kleinkaliber Übungswaffe was adopted. A decree from may 11 1938 made it official; it was the Wehrmann Gewehr "Büscher Sportmodell Kraft durch Freude", or also called Zimmergewehr. This gun looked very much like the 34-Deutsche Sport Modell (or 34-DSM 34) mentioned 3 posts back here, and, also like the Karabiner 98k. This K98k was the best multi-shot-gun, most precise, most liked by shooters, eaziest to handle and most reliable gun in all circumstances or target-uses. The Wehrmann and DSM guns, made the guns especially very much like the K98k. Die National Sosialistischen Gemeinschaft "Kraft durch Freude" made the Wehrmann Gewehr their training rifle. Below, a period Rundschreiben der Polizeipräsident an alle Schießsportveranstaltungen, here it got official, the Büscher-model was now the chosen Kraft durch Freude training-gun;

The KdF-Gewehr that Denny shows, is the Wehrmann-Gewehr. This was the basic modell. The next, slightly bigger modell, was the Wehrsport Karabiner. The diffrences that I get about these, are, the shoulderstrap is fastened a bit diffrent, and, you can put a bajonet on the Wehrsport Karabiner, it has a fastener for a Seitengewehr. Also the sliding visor is difrent. There are many many other internal things, that I don't know how to explain, cause I don't shoot, but I can try if anyone wants to know what I found out so far. But, basically, both guns, work and are the same. Below, a period ad for the guns. You can see where the Seitengewehr can be put on the Wehrsport Karabiner.

Both the Wehrmann Gewehr and the Wehrsport Karabiner rifles got made by company called "Waffenwerk Julius Gottfried Anschütz Germania Aktiengesellschaft, Zella Mehlis", or short J.G. Anschutz. Zella Mehlis, is a city in Thüringen, so right where the Reichsshießschule began. Also another company made a gun very much like the Büscher Sportmodell; Berlin-Suhler-Waffen- und Fahrzeugwerken, or BSW. This some time later got to be the Gustloff-werke, that we also already saw in Thüringen. BSW made the "W 625 Z" gun.

The Kraft durch Freude Büscher gun realy made training for using the loved K98k very popular and very eazy. No longer you need a suitable area with safeties to learn to shoot and to practise shooting a real gun. The Anschutz gun can be used in any room, anywhere. Ofcourse you need suitable targets to shoot at, and 4mm bullets. Below, 2 period ads for targets and holders;

Maybe Robert and Brad Simpsons new book will know, like Denny said, but, very many of these KdF guns got destroyed, after WWII, not even recycled. Too bad, cause the wood used was very good quality walnut-tree-wood, and the metals where quality forged, shaped and made. So, its hardly likely, Ill ever own any gun. But, if I ever will, it will be one of these KdF Anschütze, and, if I ever will, I should know at least a basic bit about them, and now I do Thanks again Denny for showing your gun! Will see if I can find anything on your Waffengenossenschaft?

Bye,
KR

Karin,
Thank you so much for sharing this information; especially the scanned pictures. I have not before seen the 1st document announcing the Büscher Sportmodell K.d.F. The JGA Wehrsport Karabiner was their attempt to create a training rifle closer to the actual German service rifle, the K98-k. The official version was called the Klein Kaliber Wehrsportgewehr or KKW. I believe the firms of Mauser, Walther and BSW/Gustloff were the only officially approved companies to manufacture the KKW, so JGA created this knock-off.
Regarding BSW, they originally started off as the Simson company, but were taken over by the NSDAP along with so many other Jewish-owned companies. Later, BSW was merged with Gustloff. Prior to BSW's manufacture of the DSM-34 & the KKW, they were marketing their own line of training rifles known as the W625 series. These were the W625, W625A, W625B, W625C, W625L - all .22 caliber and the W625Z which was 4mm. Thanks again for the picture of the very rare W625Z rifle. Is this also from the Akah catalogue?
I must say, your researching skills are superb! I am going to forward this thread to some friends who are much more knowledgeable than I in these matters. Hopefully they will visit and add to the discussion. Thanks again....

Handbuch der SA 1939 pg 165 (Medium).jpg (85.68 KB, 218 downloads)
This picture is taken from der Handbuch der SA 1939 and shows a cross section drawing of the Klein Kaliber Wehrsportgewehr.
scan0001 (Medium).jpg (34.96 KB, 216 downloads)
Here are some additional manufacturers of German training rifles. There were others.

OP Offline
Thanks Denny! Nice your scans too! I still like your KdF and your other Grüne Herz best, but, would love to see a Gustloff-Werke gun! Yeah there were other companies that made Übungswaffen, but, I wanted to stick to Kraft durch Freude, and, so focus on the proud KdF-Anschütz you show, and just stay around that gun a little, and not drift away too far, to stay on topic. A thing like Gustloff-Werke is also very interesting, also to learn about what is behind that name, would be handy if a sortof subtopic of things was possible? A new topic beside this, will get behind, pushed back, lost, I think? Oh and pics in text, you can only attach them, not put them inside a post-text, from within GDC? Or how do you do that?

Anyhow, Übungswaffen, there surely was many other guns made by other manufacturers too like the Wehrmann Kaliber 8.15x46R, DWJ6/88, DWJ7/88, DWJ10/88 that was more of a tube to stick into the K98k barrel to make it a smaller calibre, also barrels to stick into Luger pistols like DWJ2 and DWJ3/89 to make these shoot smaller bullets too. But it gets all fuzzy for me there, I don't understand all the terms and what they are/mean, cause I don't shoot, I think you really must know guns, to talk about all of that, no? I can try but I need at least to do a tad more homework for that. But thats all not very KdF anymore.

The Kleinkaliber Übungswaffen are very intresting, maybe you and your friends can tell us about these? They deserve a topic for themselves. The pic from the W625Z rifle, is from a BSW-Katalog, page 50, no year, sorry. The JGA guns, yes, from Akah, and the Klappkugelfang and Zimmerschießstände also from an ad by Akah in 1939, which actuly is the company Albrecht Kind in Gummersbach-Hünstig. This still exists.

Bye,
KR

from Akah, and the Klappkugelfang and Zimmerschießstände also from an ad by Akah in 1939, which actually is the company Albrecht Kind in Gummersbach-Hünstig. This still exists.

Bye,
KR

Yes, Akah has been in existance I believe for well over a century. I think their locations during the N.S. Zeit were Berlin & Nürnberg. The firm was, and still may be, a prolific lederwaren manufacturer - i.e. holsters, usw. Here is the official holster for the "Ehrenwaffe des Politischen Leiters". Albrecht Kind was the only manufacturer authorized by the NSDAP to produce this holster.
OK! That is quite enough of the little side-trips away from the KdF topic here. I promise this is my last OT post.

Karin, if you (or anyone else) have any non-KdF questions I can answer, please email me at dengaiXnetzero.net. (you know what to do with the X.

100_5542 (Medium).JPG (68.27 KB, 195 downloads)
AkAh PL holster w/Hoheitsabzeichen.
100_5506 (Medium).JPG (78.2 KB, 195 downloads)
100_5498 (Medium).JPG (103.6 KB, 196 downloads)
100_5501 (Medium).JPG (82.03 KB, 194 downloads)
The Akah Leaf-Bearskin trademark.
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 03/29/2011 04:48 PM.

OP Offline
Hi Denny! Surely you haven't been off by a longshot Didnt mean it that way, I learned something alltogether new! So, I hope you keep on going here? Thanks for the info! Pistolholsters! Actualy found some nice infos on these, when searching for anything on your KdF-Anschütz, and KdF-shooting-training, a little while back .. very amazingly awesome shots Denny, you have so much guns! Thanks again, for sharing, very nice marks on the holster!

Bye,
KR

OP Offline
Here it is, Paul's awesome flag! Or, one like that, anyways .. Attached pics 3, 4 and 5 .. Waving from cordage of the boat "Robert Ley", already talked about here. All 3 scans, from the very pretty book "Nach Dem Glücklichen Inseln". The book tells of KdF-holidaytravels to Madeira and Tenerife. Travels to Madeira and the Canaries, were part of the KdF-Atlantikfahrten, but more on those in another post sometime. The book has only and very many very beautiful full-colour pictures, it gives so much info, and tells fun things and also thrilling stories about Kriegsmarine escorts and so on. These were necesary sometimes, even if no war was goin on overthere at that time. These Madeira/Tenerife Atlantikfahrten got postponed a year because the war broke out.

Madeira, is part of Portugal, and tourism still makes this island the most rich district of Portugal. During world war II, Portugal was neutral, because it kept alive a treaty from 1386 named Treaty of Windsor, this was a peace-alliance between England and Portugal. Tenerife, is part of the Canary Islands, and the biggest island. The Canaries are part of Spain, but, autonomous, and also neutral during world war II.

Churchill and Hitler both of them made invasionplans for the Canary Islands. Churchill made plans in case Spain joined Germany and would invade thruogh Gibraltar. Hitler made plans to take the Canaries, these plans had codename Felix, but the plans never got reality, because Germany needed Spain for this invasion and Spain never actully joined Germany/the Axis forces. Spain was very weak after the civil war. Here we touch Legion Condor, and thats way beyond this KdF-topic.

See the 2nd attached shot. The book has a nice DAF-stamp, and dedication in it. It starts with "PG", meaning Parteigenosse, so, the dedication is in english; "Fellow party member Friedrich Lüttich, to his today's birthday, with best wishes", the signature, unfortunatly, unable to read. The stamp is of DAF, and reads "Ortswaltung Bayerische Flugzeugwerke Regensburg". And the Gau, Bayerische Ostmark. After 1942, this Gau was called Bayreuth, so this is allright, if you look at the written date, 25.4 1940. There is also, a DAF function title, "Orts-. u. Betriebsobmann.". Text, a bit faint, but, thats what it says. This Flugzeugwerke Regensburg is actualy is Messerschmit GmbH.

The KdF-Gauwart in Bayerische Ostmark was Max Dümmler. NSDAP Gauleiter at the date the book was given was Fritz Wächtler. The stamp tells much info like Ortswaltung and the function title. Ortswaltung, is something like local governance. And Ortsobmann is some sortof local leader. Betriebsobmann, a company leader, but for section DAF, not the company itself! How this is connected to the German organisation of things, is so very very great explained actuly in the book underneath the book "Nach Den Glücklichen Inseln" in the background. This is the book "Du Bist Sofort Im Bilde". This tells all things 3rd Reich; ranks, Kragenspiegel and whatever insignia, of SA/NSKK, Wehrmacht, police, flags, evrything, organisations, people, laws, views, history, future, politics, culture, so yes also Kraft durch Freude. You can see the page there, that tells "Sorgen Sie mir dafür, daß das Deutsche Volk wieder lachen lernt". And that was the assignment that Hitler gave Robert Ley, and this was what started Kraft durch Freude. The book is more in detail here. Truly very awesome that book! It answers many things you want to know! Almost you need no forums anymore for many things *LOL* I also saw that this Glücklichen-Inseln-book that shows Paul's flag is in detail here, same site, if you're intrested. See how beautiful that book is! Fun, no?

Enjoy,
KR

Inseln_1.jpg (121.62 KB, 181 downloads)
Book
Inseln_2.jpg (117.27 KB, 181 downloads)
Dedication + stamp
KdF-flag_1.jpg (109.99 KB, 180 downloads)
Paul's waving flag!
KdF-flag_2.jpg (121.92 KB, 180 downloads)
The coast of Santa Cruz..
KdF-flag_3.jpg (121.76 KB, 180 downloads)
Somewhere on the Canaries...

OP Offline
..But theres more .. imagine this; there's actually still a roll of film in this KdF-Kodak-Box, YES. If this aint thrilling then what is??! Im being supported in getting it out. Whats inside can go many ways, but surely dont want to break or ruin anything, or waste any shots by light, so, I'm still learning all I can and building up courage for it! ...

Last friday, I finaly dared it; I winded up the film in the camera, all according to instructions I had. Still not sure if any film was actualy inside that day. Some texts passing by the little red window, no numbers, surely there was film, and all used up! And today, I dared to pull out the film-winding-knob, to release the case, and press the back from the front. The camera didnt want to, took some force to get it out of its hybernate I reckon. Somehow, a very tense moment, and, finaly it opened, and there it was ... look at that ... Its an Agfa film .. the little blue label was dried out and let go of the film a long time ago, the black straps you see around the filmroll, is my hairband, against advice, I ofcourse forgot to get stickytape to put over the film to keep it secure and tightly rolled up. The shots are poor, very dimm lit, no flash, as little light as possible ofcourse used! About a minutes exposure time, and there it is for you to see ... next, find out WHAT exactly is on/in there ... already, this is so much fun, awesomely exciting this .. more to come!

Bye,
KR

film_1.jpg (122.18 KB, 158 downloads)
film_2.jpg (121.67 KB, 158 downloads)
film_3.jpg (121.37 KB, 157 downloads)
film_4.jpg (108.42 KB, 158 downloads)
film_5.jpg (106.41 KB, 156 downloads)

Will be watching.

--dj--Joe

candle.gif (7.71 KB, 149 downloads)

<BR>
OP Offline
Will be watching.

--dj--Joe

Well, the search is now for a photostudio that still does these old films! Turns out, laws sometimes prevents use of chemicals you need to develop filmroll like this? And it takes 3 kinds of equipment, not used much anymore, too Already learned, the Agfa Isopan F film, is a black and white film, see a 1943 package-box here. Its finegrain film, ISO 40, the film sensitivity-speed. The higher the ISO the more sensitive the film is, and the less exposuretime you need. 100 is pretty standard today, and no less then ISO 64 is for sale anymore? 200 is 2 times more sensitive then 100, and would need half as much light to make a picture. Black and white film, captures light not colours, so, filmgrains turn black if exposed to light. The darker the grainparticle, the more light it took, and ofcourse each colour has its own amount of light reflected when put to Black/White. The finer the grain of the film, the more particles grabbing light and the more detailed the blackened grains paint the negative-picture. See here for more if you want.

So, developing the film surely ain't solved yet. Meanwhile, here's another Abzeichen that shows again it doesn't take a lot to make it look a million, this metal Gauwandertreffen Kauserslautern, 15. August 1937 pin, German "wandern" means "to hike" or "to walk", I think the first is better here. Lovely pin, very nice details, looks stunning, also never saw it before, but its in Tiëste. The 15th august, 2 days before that, Japan attacked Shanghai. Kaiserslautern has much NSDAP activities, at least when you look at how many Kaiserslautern Tagungsabzeichen exist! Kaiserslautern also has the local city-district directory of all directories in community archives to mention the most things the NSDAP did to "make the city better" during 3rd Reich period, like renaming streets and squares, build new things, put buildings to purpose, change rules and laws, and all the honorable NSDAP-citizens and the National Socialist achievements of them that lived there. Read here if you want to know more.

The city-district always had much sports and community, and by 1938, all of the clubs and organisations were KdF-clubs ofcourse. The club most famous, is the soccerclub FC Kaiserslautern. You guys may like soccer, theres some vids here, also about the club and a famous player during WWII. Specificly for Kraft durch Freude, I found no infos yet anywhere for Kaiserslautern, but the pin is surely nice enough to show.

Enjoy,
KR

Gauwandertreffen_1.jpg (121.67 KB, 141 downloads)
Front
Gauwandertreffen_2.jpg (121.55 KB, 138 downloads)
Back
Gauwandertreffen_3.jpg (120.92 KB, 138 downloads)
Closeup
Last edited by Krullies; 04/05/2011 07:24 PM.

OP Offline
Brilliant when little things tell bigger things. Id like to go back to a Thüringen Abzeichen a bit. Its surely intrestring all the Abzeichen already learned here. Now I wanna show a little bit more even, yes the same Abzeichen, but, with a little piece of paper on it, that gives so much more info! The little lable at the back, look at that! Doesnt lit up under UV-light in a dark room, so it looks real! It says "Arbeitsbeschaffungsstelle der Notstandsgemeinde Mangersgereuth-Hämmern (Türingen), ältester Ort deutscher Schiffschnitzerkunst", so, in English, something like "Employmentservice of the municipality in state of crisis Mangersgereuth-Hämmern in Thüringen, the place of oldest German shipscarver art traditions". About the Schiffschnitzerkunst, here is a good read in German about the toymakers and shipcarvers, little ships, so Schiffsmodelle mind you!

Just like Berlin and Frankfurt am Main, this place Mangersgereuth-Hämmern in Thüringen was a Notstandsgemeinde. This means, like translated above, that the community is in crisis, with financials at least, and maybe other things too. This ment among very many other things that, the leaders of the community, could use §33 of the Reichsfürsorgegrundsätze and so also the Arbeitsfürsorge, to restrict care for people that live, work or visit there to absolute minimum, so, only to help people in severe life-theatening situations. And also, the leaders can force inhabitants to work, if people dont have work, of if they had too little work, or, if the community thinks the person has a skill thats necesary for the comunity. Thüringen, I said already here, was the first to use forced and slavelabourers. Here is more about Pflichtarbeit. Here is interesting stuff also about public welfare and forced labour. But again in German.

So, this Thüringen Abzeichen, is realy not a Tagungsabzeichen, or Veranstaltungsabzeichen. I'm thinking, maybe, the word tinnie needs extra specification, like Hüsken already has the Mitgliedsabzeichen, or membership-pin. This seems like a membership-pin too, with a but... The badge is big and stands out, so, makes it eazy to see, and people wearing it, can be seen as Employment service workers. And I think that people thatgot put to work for the service had to wear these. I dont think, officials that work at the employment service that put people to work wore these, but also thats possible maybe. Still, membership-pins, are usualy not so screamingly noticeable. Like the little Hessen-Nassau Abzeichen, that I think is a Mitgliedsabzeichen, no date, no event on it, just KdF and in this case Gau, sometimes pins tell the Kreis. Yep I think this Thüringen pin, is a workers-badge. Just a theory I have, no pictures to actuly show this (yet?) but, so far, its a good theory.

And theres more. The little piece of paper, look at the print, the typeface, its normal-type. I think, this makes the Abzeichen, of after early 1941. Usually they printed in Fraktur typeface. This is also not always true, and for exemple this Hamburg pin uses no Fraktur either, but something normal-type that looks like runic? Still, very much prints used Fraktur, this was the German way of print then.

If we look back at the München-Oberbayern Abzeichen, this uses Sütterlin typeface, that also makes this pin very pretty-looking, Sütterlin is beautiful, just see how pretty this old school exercise book is! So, this surely dates this pin back to before september 1941! Why? Because, the Sütterlinschrift, was banned by Hitler in september 1941. And Fraktur, was banned a tad earlier, in january 1941. See a scan of the letter to decree the Fraktur-ban below;

Ironic that the letterhead self still is in Fraktur Imagine, all printings, letters, books, schoolbooks and stuff, totally anything, needed to get redone into regular type, called Antiqua what we still use? See this to see both typefaces together. Surely a big change for printing business then, no? Anyways, awesome how little things make bigger pictures. And, these big Thüringen Abzeichen, simple as they are I guess, surely look great together somehow

Enjoy,
KR

Gau_Thüringen_2_1.jpg (121.87 KB, 120 downloads)
2 badges
Gau_Thüringen_2_2.jpg (122.16 KB, 119 downloads)
2 badges together
Gau_Thüringen_2_3.jpg (120.66 KB, 119 downloads)
2 badges closeup
Gau_Thüringen_2_4.jpg (121.41 KB, 119 downloads)
2 badges lable
Last edited by Krullies; 04/09/2011 10:30 AM. Reason: typos :\

Interesting K, very interesting.
Nice wandertreffen badge. Strong design.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
OP Offline
Hi Joe! Thanks! Yes, it does! BUT, I think maybe I was too hasty, with saying the Thüringen worker badge is from after the Fraktur-ban in 1941. I saw some wood Hitler-Jugend tinnies from 1934, and, not like the lovely birdies and my favorite Abzeichen here, they had Antiqua-typeface. So, before the ban, Antiqua was also used, and so, I can't realy defend my statement very well. Still, a lot was done in Fraktur, so, it ~~could~~ be. Reckon I started to see what I learned everywhere *LOL* The Betreuerinnenabzeichen, yes, surely is from before the Sütterlin-ban.

Gau Franken, already told about here, and another here. This is another Franken Abzeichen. Not a pin but a slider? It slips over a pocket or a collar maybe? Not a tie, it'd be sideways or upsidedown, no? A very little pin! Again no date or event. Reckon another Mitgliedsabzeichen. The background, not anything Franken, but the Kraft durch Freude published booklet "Freude durch Laienschaffen" with graphics by Franz Kolbrand. Awesome little book, about creativity and creating things, and how this is good for health and wellbeing, also for wounded people, but havent read it all and probably will tell more in another post someday.

Enjoy,
KR

KdF_Gau_Franken_1.jpg (121.5 KB, 151 downloads)
Gau Franken Abzeichen
KdF_Gau_Franken_2.jpg (121.4 KB, 151 downloads)
Front
KdF_Gau_Franken_3.jpg (121.26 KB, 150 downloads)
Back
KdF_Gau_Franken_4.jpg (121.1 KB, 149 downloads)
Closeup

K, I have observed a few small day/rally badges made with the pocket or (lapel?) clip like yours.
Usually when made like that the clip is smaller and a small hole was drilled for a straight pin, as I'm sure you have seen examples of.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
OP Offline
Thanks Joe! Any of your such pins in here somewhere? Because I dont understand what you mean? A hole in the clip? Or .. problaby I'm missing something way obvious, sorry ...

Hi K, make that read two holes in the clip/tab. My memory failed me. frown
One reverse image, one side image.

While scouting for examples I saw four different tinnies with tabs like yours and only two like my tab.

--dj--Joe smile

DSCN0466.JPG (69.19 KB, 129 downloads)
DSCN0467.JPG (57.31 KB, 129 downloads)

<BR>
OP Offline
Hi Joe! No I never saw these clips with holes+pin yet? Thanks for showing!! Nice Ein Führer Ein Volk Ein Reich badge btw

Krullies #245101 05/18/2011 06:39 PM
OP Offline
..What do you make of this one, KdF related? Possibly a trip down south to the Mediterranean? ... lots of lizards down there ... grin..

...I remember running around in Salamander shoes as a young boy and that they were/are (?) a famous shoemaking company. It's ..

Old period newspapers are fun! Look here what I found? Der gute Schuh beim Wintersport, the right shoe for wintersport, right there full page in a 1936 Illustrierte, a Salamander advertizing, surely a lovely illustration too. Just grabbing back in this topics time, couldn't keep this from here.

G'Bye,
KR

Salamander_1.jpg (122.07 KB, 116 downloads)
Advertizing
Salamander_2.jpg (121.55 KB, 116 downloads)
Close-up

Krullies #245114 05/18/2011 09:30 PM
Karin,

Very nice, it takes me back a ways ... wink grin

Thanks!

B~

WWII #245119 05/18/2011 10:17 PM
K, good detective work.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #245177 05/19/2011 09:15 PM
O
O
just posted a BSW Model W625Z on auction arms....may want to have a look. it's a nice gun. AA# 10347136

Denny Gaither #250384 08/15/2011 04:44 PM
Hello Karen,
On page 8 of your nice thread, I had posted some pictures of my KdF Training Rifle.
http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222981&page=8
I thought you might like to see this neat accessory I recently acquired. Now my rifle has a warm place in which to snuggle!

01.jpg (77.55 KB, 165 downloads)
02.jpg (73.78 KB, 164 downloads)
03.jpg (74.23 KB, 165 downloads)
04.jpg (63.93 KB, 164 downloads)
100_7642 (Small).JPG (83.16 KB, 163 downloads)
06.jpg (95.42 KB, 162 downloads)
100_7657 (Medium).JPG (57.47 KB, 160 downloads)
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 08/15/2011 04:45 PM.

Denny - Great addition - glad I could help.

Horst

"He who hesitates is lost- is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

gold # 0299
goldfasan #250397 08/15/2011 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: goldfasan
Denny - Great addition - glad I could help.

Horst

OK Horst, now I know who you are! Horst was my source for this neat piece.

Denny,

Congrats on putting this exceptional pair together, quite outstanding!

Bill

WWII #250593 08/19/2011 05:48 PM
A nice addition indeed. Many thanks for showing it.

I wonder how the period ammo cartons were marked?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #250608 08/19/2011 11:27 PM
A nice addition indeed. Many thanks for showing it.

I wonder how the period ammo cartons were marked?

--dj--Joe

Joe,
Here is a period tin. Shown with a .22 Long Rifle cartridge for comparison.

100_1611 (Medium) (2).JPG (77.9 KB, 134 downloads)
100_7101 (Medium).JPG (71.47 KB, 133 downloads)
Last edited by Denny Gaither; 08/19/2011 11:30 PM.

Thanks for showing the 4mm. ammo tin.

The acorn sparked a memory of having seen casings with that mark. But where? confused

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #251034 08/27/2011 10:41 PM
Joe,
The acorn is the trademark of the Alfred Nobel Company. I would suspect that many of their products bore that mark.

OP Offline
On page 8 of your nice thread, I had posted some pictures of my KdF Training Rifle.
I thought you might like to see this neat accessory I recently acquired. Now my rifle has a warm place in which to snuggle!

Hi Denny!!

Oh my, say, that sure is nice! Its in very good condition too no? That is awesome! What a nice set! Its in good hands now, too Thanks for showing!

Bye,
KR

OP Offline
Joe,
The acorn is the trademark of the Alfred Nobel Company. I would suspect that many of their products bore that mark.

I ~~think~~ (tho I could be mistaking!! been a while) I saw advertising for Nobel in a German magazine from the 1930s. Ill look, if I find it, Ill scan and post it here, that I can still do Well, I reckon anyway...

Krullies #251142 08/30/2011 11:45 PM
K, as far as I know you can do anything you like here my friend.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you find.

--dj--Joe

59.gif (2.99 KB, 174 downloads)

<BR>
derjager #251187 08/31/2011 09:22 PM
OP Offline
K, as far as I know you can do anything you like here my friend.

Hi Joe!! Well, Im not so sure thats true, Ive got some mail that says something else, in unmistakeble clear language. And, surely it doesnt make any sense, to add much to something that you possibly cant even access yourself anymore, for some random reason like, somebody making bad jokes nearby or somebodies mood or just the moonposition maybe, right? BUT, an addvertisement or something else sometimes, I can do.

..I'm looking forward to seeing what you find..

But so many many books and magazines and brochures to browse may take a bit! Will let you know!

derjager #251267 09/03/2011 08:09 AM
OP Offline
I'm looking forward to seeing what you find..

Only found Flobert ads so far. This tells about Flobert bullets, that they come in 4, 6, 9 milimetres. From about 1845 to today, mainly in Europe, cause they never realy got popular anywhere else. Used today for training, and in history for training, fun or hunting small animals like rats. Also called poor mens gun bullets.

Flobert was also part of Nobel or RWS, but what I saw has no Eichel logo. More Nobel brands here. But, some realy nice old packagings here, also Nobel, also RWS! The amunition and boxes are also talked about here. Bulletstamps, look for "Germany" here.

(logo from logosdatabase)

By the way, Nobel is one of the companies, that surely used foreced\slave labor during Third Reich, and commited warcrimes, confirmed by International Tracing Service.

Krullies #251278 09/03/2011 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info Karin. Not only did they use slave labor, the last few paragraphs address their seemingly uncaring response the welfare of their employees.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamit_Nobel

Here is a translation of the last part.

"Polyvinyl Chloride Poisoning in Troisdorf
Until the 1970’s, Dynamit Nobel polymerised the monomer vinyl chloride into polyvinyl chloride (PVC) in the factory of Troisdorf. At this time, about 130 to 140 employees were regularly in touch with it. In total, about 3600 persons have worked within this division since the launching of the production in Troisdorf in the 1940s.

Infringing the health and safety regulations in force at that time, the employees of Dynamit Nobel were exposed for years, with little protection, to this harmful substance which later turned out to be carcinogenic. Therefore, they were heavily contaminated by vinyl chloride gas or by cleaning up the autoclaves. At this time, most of the other manufacturers of PVC had already put into place systems of production, which were less dangerous for the health. The same has not been done in Dynamit Nobel because of financial considerations. Moreover, regular controls were not made, others were partially manipulated or the results were kept secret. Also, the company made an important contribution to the region, regularly obtained extensions of time to apply the regulations. Contamination due to vinyl chloride was so severe that for years in the company, the employees complained of damages relating to their liver, anemia, finger circulation disorder resulting in acro-osteolysis (necrosis of the first phalanxes), as well as headaches and dizziness. Cancers also resulted from the exposure.

After the announcement of the first thirteen severe diseases during spring 1972, work inspectors from Bonn ordered Dynamit Nobel to take the appropriate measures in order to improve the health and safety conditions of work. But the company took a long time to put them into place.

Afterwards, the 40 sick employees gathered together as Interessengemeinschaft der VC-Geschädigten in order to file a complaint for violation of duty against the Land of North-Rhine-Westphalia and asked for damage compensation, just like in the Contergan trial. The local committee of the DKP in Troisdorf filed a complaint for injury and involuntary homicides against the board of directors of Dynamit Nobel AG. Both complaints remained unsuccessful. After more details about the scandal were made public, employees and inhabitants of Troisforf organised a series of demonstrations. In 1975, the company’s board of directors decided to shut down PVC polymerisation workshop to escape the expensive costs related to modernization and security of the plant.

Since the first announcement about the existing risks, the company has tried its best to keep things quiet. In that respect, it has put a lot of pressure on the journalists and editors. During the following years, some employees were contaminated and died due to their disease without the company ever compensating them."

Last edited by Denny Gaither; 09/03/2011 03:17 PM.

I was also unaware that "Geco" is a registered trademark of Dynamit Nobel Aktiengesellschaft.

K, you have been very busy. smile Great research as always.

I appreciate the info. Now I must see if I can find what I think I have with an acorn mark.

--dj--Joe

candle.gif (7.71 KB, 132 downloads)

<BR>
derjager #265915 06/09/2012 06:41 PM
B
B
Joe, I post this item here, if not correct please feel free to place it somewhre else.

This tinnie is from the Funkausstellung 1934 where was presented the first television.
The year before was presented the radio .
I've added a publication about it that mentions this.

1 P1050887 wc.jpg (90.01 KB, 118 downloads)
2 info funkausstel 1934 a.jpg (44.91 KB, 118 downloads)
OP Offline
What a rare pin Benten, never saw it anywhere!!! Amazing .. Thanks!!! My Funkausstellung pin is from 4 years later, thanks for the extra info too!! Supernice!!!

Benten, a great looking tinnie. cool Interesting publication.

For anyone that wishes to see Karin's example look back on page 6.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
B
B
Joe,
Thanks for your compliment and pointing me to Krullies badge.

Krullies,
Your badge is very nice and has similarity (for this word,I needed the dictionary, ha ha) with my badge.
Thank you too for your compliment.

Last edited by benten; 06/10/2012 02:41 PM.
Krullies,

Outstanding work! wink

Best!

W~

WWII #266406 06/20/2012 01:07 PM
OP Offline
Outstanding work! wink

Thank you dear Sir ...

Originally Posted By: benten
Thank you too for your compliment.

And likewise to you ofcourse!!!! Thanks!!

Last edited by Krullies; 06/20/2012 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot Benten :)

Krullies #266407 06/20/2012 01:10 PM
OP Offline
Why not. Just because its summer, and because this is a nice sunny tinnie, and it can be more fun to dig in history-bits then to do anything else ... Nothing special, or rare, a tinnie for probably KdF Urlaubsfahrten. If you read in brochures and books like this, there were 4 maintypes of KdF holiday trips organized in Mainfranken; Kurzfahrten (excusrions, usualy 1 day no overnights), Wanderfahrten (hikes, same as excursions), Urlaubsfahrten (holidays, 1 or 2 weeks, sometimes 3, but mostly the next type of holidays lasted that long) and Seefahrten (cruises, 1 up to 3 weeks).

I guess on short trips, you dont get expensive pins like this, even painted (red) in the center, and the words "Sonniges Mainfranken". But maybe Im wrong. The tinnie is superquality, rather thick metallic, smells like copper or bronze? With a clear maker mark from Petz und Lorentz, who also made nice Spanish crosses for exemple. Detail; some Sportabzeichen, also made by Petz und Lorenz, also have Reichenbach, but after Reichenbach, it says WTTBG, and on this tinie, it says Reichenbach WBG. Because of the "U." before Reichenbach, I think, the maker should actualy read Petz und Lorentz und Reichenbach, and the location of the maker, is the "WBG", or "WTTBG", I think both mean Baden-Württemberg, which is not in Mainfranken Bavaria, but it touches the Bavaria region.

Front;

Back;

If you forgot how complex the Gau structure was, here is the situation of about 1944, there you can see Mainfranken just below Thüringen, the nature is very beautiful there. In Mainfranken lived 1% of all KdF members, and about 98000 KdF members (from all over Germany) went on holiday trips in Mainfranken, each year!! Ofcourse, statistics were published in several newspapers and brochures and year results books, but, you have to be cautious, NSDAP made things look more beautiful then they actualy were ..

Gauleiter of Gau Mainfranken (1928 to 1945) was Otto Helmuth. Read more about the Gau here, and below you see Otto in his uniform;

The little BW shot is attached, because its a nice photo, but obviously not suited for a post, I had the wrong effect selected in the app.

Enjoy!!!

IMG_2344.jpg (115.01 KB, 142 downloads)
Last edited by Krullies; 06/20/2012 01:15 PM. Reason: typos :/

G
G
Super topic! Good going Karin...

o.k. now don't get cheap at the end!! , lets see that plate! wink

Interesting, learned something today!

K, your Kdf collection is growing. cool
I second the request to see more of the plate and to learn what you know about it.
The tinnie is interesting. I had not seen a pin retaining plate like yours before. A nice example.

Thank you for sharing,--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #266534 06/23/2012 09:40 PM
OP Offline

Wow, thanks so much Gaspare, Paul and Joe!!!

Originally Posted By: Gaspare
.o.k. now don't get cheap at the end!!..

*lol*

Originally Posted By: Gaspare
..lets see that plate! ...

..I second the request to see more of the plate and to learn what you know about it....

Gaspare and Joe, yes, the little KdF Teller, nice that you saw it!! Ill show you. I like it too. A little tricky to shoot right, I tried to snap it .. nice shot but just looks weird ..

I showed it somewhere before, and, I found some photos I made back then, in a webalbum of me, made with a proper camera. Also not perfect, but, it shows a bit better what it is. Sorry for the marks I put in them ..

Actualy, when I at first saw this, it displays very nice, but honestly I really had to laugh, I figured, this is so fake, total rubbish, I cant believe this costed any money at all, and I believed less that someone actully paid for it, surely its just a 50-cents-consolationprize-giveaway somewhere, somebody had fun making this a week before from some grannie coffeeware.

But, I was told ist not ..

And when I asked about it somewhere else, turned out, its actually a real KdF dish ... a little presentation plate, from some factory maybe? I was warned not to clean it, I wanted to, its maybe silverplated, thats fun to clean, polish, make it shine, but, it looses the history too, so I didn"t.

The back has a maker mark, so very small, but its there, a little key, with a B and E next to it. I asked about this, on some silverwareforum, some people were really into makermarks. I asked up front if I could ask about this little dish, and I couldnt, because of the swaz. I"ll look at it again, maybe the maker can be found. Nice project for next week.

Well, here it is, the circle is about 13 centimeters wide (some 5 inch). Enjoy!! And thanks again ..

Krullies #266547 06/24/2012 10:37 AM
Karin,

Great display item for your KdF collection, I wish you much continued good luck!

Best!

W~

WWII #266566 06/24/2012 04:20 PM
K, It's good to leave tarnish sometimes. smile That will indeed make a nice display for KdF items. You could perhaps line the inside rim with KdF tinnies. smile

Here is a silver hallmarks site.
http://www.silvercollection.it/germansilverhallmark2.html

Could it possibly be a little server for mints or cards? Perhaps from a KdF ship or guest house?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #266567 06/24/2012 05:00 PM
Great items - Heres a KDF paperweight, marble base 3 1/2" X 2 1/2" with a sail ship reflecting Gau Pommern -

MVC-010S.JPG (36.29 KB, 79 downloads)

gold # 0299
goldfasan #266597 06/24/2012 10:58 PM
One of the best cartoons ever made was when Disney parodied the KDF using one of my favorite cartoon characters. It stared Donald Duck in "der Fuehrer's Face". Which was originally titled "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land". Funny stuff!

Der-Fuhrer's-Face.gif (97.75 KB, 261 downloads)
Mikee #266825 06/28/2012 09:35 PM
OP Offline
..Great display item for your KdF collection, I wish you much continued good luck!

Thanks William!!!

..You could perhaps line the inside rim with KdF tinnies. smile
Could it possibly be a little server for mints or cards? Perhaps from a KdF ship or guest house?

Hi Joe!!! A good idea, will let you know what pins I put on it .. thanks for the site,. I didnt find the maker there, but, Im asking around, and post here if I find anything. I dont know about what they used it for, but it could be, mints .. good ideas!! Again, Ill post what I can find out.

Originally Posted By: Mikee
One of the best cartoons ever made was when Disney parodied the KDF using one of my favorite cartoon characters. It stared Donald Duck in "der Fuehrer's Face". Which was originally titled "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land". Funny stuff!

Hey Mikee, thanks!!! I didnt know about it, I looked it up, its amazing .. Here is the movie, for anybody that wants to see it too, and, here a whole bunch of info.

Great items - Heres a KDF paperweight, marble base 3 1/2" X 2 1/2" with a sail ship reflecting Gau Pommern -

Hi Goldfasan, what an amazing paperweight, never saw anything like it anywhere, thanks for showing!!! Pommern, at the top of Germany, right at the Ostsee, Pommern has nice tinnies with ships, do you have any? But the paperweight looks beautiful, with the waves and the sails, you have something special!!!

Last edited by Krullies; 06/28/2012 09:35 PM. Reason: typos, ha ha

Krullies #266835 06/29/2012 02:51 AM
Hi K,
I have not found the hallmark either. It sure reminds me of the Bremen Key.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #266848 06/29/2012 11:36 AM
OP Offline
.. sure reminds me of the Bremen Key...

Joe, yes! Or Köberlin, but they used 2 crossed keys mostly .. Koch & Bergfeld, maybe, but they only used a key from 1942 and later, but I think the plate is from before 1942, metal got scarse and the war started to turn bad for Germany, less luxury things.

Krullies #266862 06/29/2012 03:39 PM
OP Offline
After that paperweight I better come up with something special too, right? Well, see this picture, and look close to the bald guy on the left, between 2 guys with a visor cap on.

Yes he has a camera in his hands, a box camera, I showed a box camera here already (or go to page 9 and 11 if the link doesnt go). This shot surely is amazing!! I never saw a picture from back then where you see 1 of those cameras .. Too bad the picture aint sharper, e could also see the pin they wear on the jackets then, but, its nice anyway. The shot is from a book, called "Tat Im Bild", and its a propaganda book about the 1st 2 years of KdF, a sortof how~bad~it~was~then~and~how~good~it~is~now thing. This bookidea was actually use again 3 years later, and again 2 years later, but this "7 years of KdF" was the last, at least, as far as I found until now. I can show the books sometime, maybe, if you like.

Anyway back to cameras .. Well, here another box camera, with the same KdF markings on it!!!

The camera is different then the other, this model has more specific use, and its more rare as camera. The other is a Kodak Brownie Box, this is a Hawk-Eye box. A friend of mine, Remy, collects Kodak boxes, he showed his collection during a museum exhibition of cameras. He inspected the Hawk-Eye box, and, put it on his website. See the description, and more pictures of it here, go have a look!!!

Some snapshots just for fun;

Oh, Paul (is Peter here too?), no, this is not the camera I asked you about. This Hawk-Eye box is very correct. The KdF-marking is very much the same, compared to the other camera, and to the marking on the camera on for instance the Robert Ley website. This camera is O K; construction and markings are all good. When I know for sure, Ill put the box I still doubt up here.

The book you see as background btw is also very awesome, more info here, not KdF, but more Deutsche Kunst, the art during the 3rd Reich, and architecture, and so in a way about the superiority-fylosophy;

Enjoy!!!

Krullies #266877 06/29/2012 10:35 PM
Sharp eye K.
Interesting picture. I also wish we could see the pins and tinnies plainly.
I'm wondering what they are on? A boat, a ferry? The benches are lashed down.

Did you locate film for your camera?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #266937 06/30/2012 10:21 PM
[quote=derjager]Sharp eye K.
Interesting picture. I also wish we could see the pins and tinnies plainly.
I'm wondering what they are on? A boat, a ferry? The benches are lashed down.

--dj--Joe[/quote

Joe - its on the steamship on a KDF Norwegen cruise.

gold # 0299
goldfasan #266943 07/01/2012 12:19 AM
[/quote

Joe - its on the steamship on a KDF Norwegen cruise.

Thank you G . smile I should have done my homework. --dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #267058 07/02/2012 09:21 PM
OP Offline
S..
I'm wondering what they are on? A boat, a ferry? The benches are lashed down...

Hi Joe!!! Yes, goldfasan is right. Actualy, the picture is on Der Deutsche, one of the ships that did Norwegen fahrten. The Robert Ley also did many to Norwegen, but also the Wilhelm Gustloff, the Oceana, Monte Olivia and so on.

The Northsea was not only important to Germany for travel to the North, but also for food and prduction materials, like all other holidays, Norwegenfahrten were used to also educate workers, and to put propaganda on workers.

Special trips to Norwegen were the Norwegenfahrten Der Deutschen Technik, but, then you just have to mention Herr Doktor Fritz Todt, and, maybe Ill get back at that topic someday.

I said before, I like pins made of wood. Here is one for Norwegenfahrten by KdF Gau Sachsen, made in Sachsen, in Seiffen, the Erzgebirge, where so many nice wooden things and toys were made. A little damaged, but a nice tinnie anyway. Anybody more Norwegenfahrten tinnies, or pins?

With a little advertizing article about Norwegenfahrten, in a KdF program booklet for Gau Sachsen;

Closer;

Back;

Enjoy!

Krullies #267311 07/06/2012 05:15 PM
K, nice, I have not before seen your KdF ship badge.
I keep looking but have not found any to pick up. frown One of these days when I'm not looking ---. smile

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #267365 07/07/2012 09:30 PM
OP Offline
..nice, I have not before seen your KdF ship badge...

Thanks so much Joe!!! Yes tinnies made of wood are hard to find, and many times not cheap, some real diehard collectors are after them, nothing beats the little birds tho but yes this is nice.

Krullies #267388 07/08/2012 04:16 AM
Yes, the little birds are a favorite. (Page #2 folks).

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #267472 07/09/2012 08:41 PM
B
B
Krullies my complements for your informative contributions to this KDF topic .

Here a postcard from the 6th WHW Reichsstrassensammlung 29-31.3.1940 under the motto :
"Schaffende sammlen, schaffende geben".

See the KDF sign above the butterflies .
Under them is written k.d.f.-Sammlergruppen(?).

A collaboration between WHW and KDF .

1 P1450045 WC.jpg (98.85 KB, 228 downloads)
2 P1450046 d wC.jpg (97.13 KB, 229 downloads)
3 P1450047 wC.jpg (90.37 KB, 228 downloads)
benten #267706 07/14/2012 02:51 PM
OP Offline
Benten what a brilliant card!!! Nice topic .. Yes, there were collector groups allowed by KdF, like stamp collectors. KdF did special day envelopes and stamps. They used events and expositions for it too, like the Automobilausstellung in Berlin. Im working on a post about that btw. Along the way, the KdF (and so the NSDAP) made money from it too, in their sly way. Lovely postcard, anybody have another stamp or card to show?

Krullies #269591 08/18/2012 05:08 PM
I think I have one KdF card. I'll have to look. smile Remind me should I forget.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
OP Offline
I promised someone to post this, so here they are, 2 cute KdF pins for Gau Berlin. The left one is made of pressed brown leather and has a pink color added, the other is copper colored sheetmetal. I love the bears. The bear is in the Berlin Crest. Groß Berlin means Berlin, with the towns and regions from Brandenburg that got added to Berlin in 1920. When Groß Berlin was formed, the city grew from 2 million people to almost 4 million people.

The bears are interesting, there are officially 3 bear categories; official city bears, in the weapon\crest of Berlin. The industrial bears, for companies and organisations that used the bear in logos and commercials. And finally, the arty bears, that got designed and used for festivities, activities and events.

Some historians think, the name Berlin has to do with bears, but other historians say, the name Berlin originally means wet damp land, so they think the name Berlin came before the bear symbol because bears have no link to the meaning.

The first Berlin bear appeared in the year 1280 on march 22, in a magazine that was named "Der Bär". It showed a seal for the city, with the text "Sigilum burgensium de Berlin sum", which means "I'm the seal of the citizens of Berlin". The seal shows 2 bears, that carry a shield with an eagle on it.

During the middle ages, Berlin was also known as Urbs Arctoa, that means City Of Bears. Historic societies still fight over what they think is the reason for the bear in the Berlin crest. The Berliner Bär even replaced the Prussian eagle in the police insignia after WW2.

Backs of the pins;

Hi K,
Those are both nice examples.
As always well photographed and informative. Thank you.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Karin,

Didn't see your bears until just now ... both are wonderful designs which I've never seen before. You have a fine knack for choosing rare pieces and the condition is impeccable too, good eye!

In this case the English term for the word "Gross," would be "greater," Berlin, encompassing outlying regions and so on. Yes, way back when they built the city its foundations were laid in a large swampy area, the new gateway to the east. Most people thought it was a god-foresaken, dirty outpost in the middle of nowhere.

Great bears, many thanks for posting. wink

Best!

W~

OP Offline
Thanks very much guys!!!

OP Offline
This post is to thank everyone that took part in the discussion about KdF and gun sports, and also everyone that made this topic so much fun!! Thanks Denny, Dean, William, Joe, Rod, Jim M, Erich, Horst, Benten, Mikee and anyone I forgot or that was reading along.

Sometimes you find out that something you have is so much more special than you thought. Especially if you first get the item and second find out what it really is. This is about such an item. Guns are a hot topic these days, and it made me think of the discussion about KdF markings on guns. You can find the discussion somewhere in this topic. It was all about what's in this little book below, called Organisationsbuch der NSDAP - Abschnitt Ausbildungs-Ordnung für den Schießdienst Kleinkalibergewehr-Pistole. Or, in English; "Book of the NSDAP-movement, section educational regulation for the small caliber rifle and pistol shooting service". I never showed the book before. It gives every possible info about the place shooting had in nazi Germany, about learning how to shoot, and shooting for sports. At the back there is a section were the owner of the book could keep track of personal progress.

For everyone that didn't read the discussion or forgot about it, here's a bit more info. The Schießdienst promoted the ability to shoot for NSDAP members, for educational and sports shooting, it used small caliber guns. More about this in detail below. The little book, is very very rare. I didn't quite realize HOW rare, until I saw one for sale at the Weitze company. It's a little booklet, 9,5 by 13 centimeters big (3.7 by 5.1 inch), 111 pages. Have a look in the section "Antiques - Educational and instruction books"! This screen was grabbed on February 3, 2013. This is the link. You can also find it at Abebooks here.

As you can see below, this is the 10th edition, and the amount of booklets made is 230000 after this edition. How strange it is, that almost all of them are destroyed!

Sports were the perfect political tool. Keep people busy, keep them together, competitive and fit for battle, and you can reach them with your ideology very easily. Very early on during the 1920s, NSDAP made standards for sports and fitness. The SA Sportabzeichen (later called Wehrabzeichen) was the insignia to go with it. The Deutschen Reichsausschusses für Leibesübungen (DRA) was founded in 1917, and it regulated officail sports and awards in Germany. NSDAP absorbed this organization soon after 1933, and in 1937 NSDAP had officially incorporated DRA and the awards from DRA, and made them into Deutsche Reichsbund für Leibesübungen (DRL), and the awards were called Deutsche Reichssportabzeichen.

The booklet covers rifle and pistol. Below is the contents for rifles.

"Never aim a gun at people, unless in emergencies or the call of duty. Always consider guns from strangers are - loaded!" Here you clearly see that guns are much much more than just sports ..

Every detail of the gun is discussed in the booklet.

Anything and everything during the third Reich had to be instrumental, functional and according to the NSDAP plan and vision. Architecture, art, the work people do, the things people do in their free time, everything. So, what better "place" to start if you want to find out how things were than the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP? This is the book, that tells everything. The ideas, the principles, the values, the way things worked, the structure of leadership and government, the way things looked, the way things were called, every little detail is in there. An original copy of an Organisationsbuch is very special in itself. The book learns about things they don't teach in history class and things you don't see in movies. It answers most questions you can ask about NSDAP and third Reich National Socialism. It also shows every logo for every organization, every color that is used, every rank and uniform. It's really very interesting from a design view. Ofcourse facts dont make opinion untrue. For instance, dutch NSB and WA members that joined the Germaanse SS were not allowed to wear their NSB and WA insignia on the SS uniform, but they did. Photographs show that W.A.-Sportinsgnia, Jeugdstorm pins and NSB membership pins were pinned on uniforms of Dutch soldiers that fought in Eastern Europe. But facts are never wrong, unlike opinions. The first big NSDAP book appeared in 1936, and every year a new book was published with changed and new information. The last year an Organisationsbich was published was 1943. This was the 7th edition, and it is the most complete book. These books, don't come cheap. Below an original copy of the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP, 7th edition, from 1943.

I posted this before, but, I saw its impossible to read, so here it is bigger, a period newsletter from the chief of police, addressed to all shooting sports facilities. It says that the Büscher-model was now the official training rifle for Kraft durch Freude.

Guns are a hot topic at the moment in the US. Some people drag Hitler into it by giving false historical facts, or facts out of context. So, why not tell a bit more about the historical background of shooting in Germany. National Socialism shared the ideas about violence with Fascism. Both say, violence is necessary, and both give violence a heroic status, something of beauty even. With that in mind, it's easy to see how Hitler didn't ban guns. In fact, he promoted it. But, ofcourse with regulations and restrictions, like everything else that is National Socialist. One of the points discussed in the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP is, that National Socialism, and all its uniforms and ranks, have to be respected and protected against violence. The whole weapons-laws of third Reich Germany was based on it. Everybody has to be able to fight, unless you're an enemy of the third Reich. The laws and regulations were completed in 1938. But let's backpaddle more.

During the Napoleonic wars (1803-1815) many cities formed groups of marksmen to protect it, called Schützengilden. After 1815, until Germany was made a monarchy in 1871, these Schützengilden were seen as important part of society. They stood for people against oppression from foreign states, or even local rulers that meant harm. After that, the Schützengilden were seen as Nationalist protection against the Emperor. After 1918, Germany was defeated and disarmed, and with Wilhelm II removed from power and in exile, Germany was now a Republic; Weimar.

Many Wehrverbände and Bürgermilizen were formed in Weimar right after the war, by disillusioned soldiers and angry young men. These groups were always very nationalistic in their ideas, and very radical. Ofcourse, if they had weapons, they were illegal. That is the time when Hitler got more and more popular. The SA and the NSDAP were originally also nationalist Wehrverbände. In 1933, Hitler grabbed power, Weimar ended, the third Reich began.

The third Reich with its Führerprinzip was very strict in everything. First the Führer, second the movement, third the people (or country because people were bound by country in the ideology), fourth the individual. Also, for all Wehrverbände and Schutzvereine, the Gleichschaltung and restructuring happened, just like for everything else.

Every national socialist and party member needed to be able to defend the Führer, the movement, the people and himself. Sport was a big issue, physical fitness, people must be able to fight. Shooting was a big part of all that. The NSDAP educated their members in shooting. The SA, the HJ and KdF were the biggest groups that did this. These organisations took the leading role in shooting education, later on under regulation of DRL. You can find many info in the Handbuch der SA, Dennis showed this in this topic, and in training manuals for the Hitler Jugend. The very first Reichsschießschule Für die Hitler Jugend was formed in Obermaasfeld, Thüringen. By 1938, shooting was already very popular, and many training facilities were made in Thüringen and other locations. Especially politischen Leiter were expected to be able to shoot. The Organisationsbuch shows the standard weapon for these ranks. But the little book Organisationsbuch der NSDAP - Abschnitt Ausbildungs-Ordnung für den Schießdienst Kleinkalibergewehr-Pistole gives the complete information about the weapons, the purpose, the training and the goals of the training.

Bye,
KR

Last edited by Krullies; 02/03/2013 11:01 PM. Reason: typo..

Karin,

Good to see your purchase turned out nicely for you, something a bit special - it goes to show good bargains are still out there just waiting to be found. As with anything worthwhile, we invest not only our money, but our time and patience, too.

Another well written and richly illustrated history lesson. You should be on the editorial/layout staff of a major magazine, this is good stuff, you have a natural talent for it.

As always, many thanks KR, and good collecting to all !

W~

I, too, am amazed at the scholarship and the details that Krullies brings to these forums.

Thank you for sharing your hard work and your findings with us.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Karin has been one of the leading contributors to so many threads of interest.

Thanks K. wink

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Karin-Renate,

I just love your threads! Not only interesting and informative but witty and fun to read. Your photography is first rate to say the least and I'm a big follower of yours! Thank you!

Karin,

Thank you for your continued contributions to this subject. You are much appreciated for your intelligence and research capabilities.

Denny Gaither #289059 10/20/2013 07:18 PM
K
K

DSCN1318.jpg (119.63 KB, 168 downloads)
DSCN1319.jpg (112.1 KB, 167 downloads)
DSCN1320.JPG (109.42 KB, 166 downloads)
DSCN1321.JPG (107.87 KB, 166 downloads)
DSCN1323.JPG (110.01 KB, 166 downloads)
DSCN1326.JPG (97.47 KB, 166 downloads)
DSCN1328.JPG (114 KB, 166 downloads)
kreta1961 #289089 10/21/2013 01:00 AM
Gerd, quite an interesting piece. For embossing card stock or letter heads?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #289135 10/21/2013 07:38 PM
OP Offline
Ooh that ís a nice item!! Very cool Gerd. To press colour or silver or gold foil in linen book covers maybe?

Krullies #289285 10/25/2013 07:48 PM
K
K
Gerd, quite an interesting piece. For embossing card stock or letter heads?
--dj--Joe

Ooh that ís a nice item!! Very cool Gerd. To press colour or silver or gold foil in linen book covers maybe?

Hmm...i'm not sure about,but you could be right.
Thanks and Regards,
Gerd

kreta1961 #317897 04/17/2016 11:40 PM
A jewel of a visual and informative thread that deserves another look - see. smile

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Krullies #342874 06/22/2019 04:33 PM
One more time for an old favorite thread.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
derjager #342995 07/08/2019 01:00 AM
G
G
Never seen this before!

What a great thread... Excellent info and items,,and the photography!.. . Bet many of us have a KdF piece tucked away in the Tinnie box..

Krullies #349876 06/11/2021 04:05 PM
Small items with some excellent photography.

Let's see some more.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Krullies #349880 06/11/2021 04:20 PM
G
G
missed that die!,, a great piece.. Gerd,,a 2 piece die? a positive and negative? or is one just the supporting block? 2013! , hope he's around still!

Krullies #360104 12/25/2023 01:51 AM
Back to the top for any who might have missed this thread.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,777 SS Bayonets
1,762,154 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,113 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Overslept a development???
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/18/2024 01:13 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Gaspare - 04/18/2024 12:32 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,034
Members7,518
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stephen, Dete, jean), 613 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod