Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I was pointed in this direction ... I asked for advice in the wrong place, maybe someone here willing to share has anything advice'ish? "My" dagger is in need of attention/care. The blade is a bit, well, dirty/rusty/grey/speckled/not sure what the correct option(s) would be? The dagger can be seen here.

What would the best way be to clean it up a bit? I was thinking Simichrome, but, recently a way of using CLR household cleaner popped up which sounds great! AND less terrorizing to the crossgrain left? BUT, this stuff is NOT for sale to us eurofolk, so, it would have to be bought in USA. No problem, but, the shipping makes this a bit expensive, and before I go that way I'd like to know if any of you guys ever tried a cleaningtactic on a dagger?

Another question; but maybe this would need a separate post? Not a big question, so I'll just put it in here. Scabbards, runners, throats ... the runners are attached TO the throat with teenytiny flatheaded pin'ish things? Suppose I have a late scabbard, for an RZM dagger, and it has no runners. And I'd also have me a set of such tiny pins, + a set of runners, how would I fasten a runner with the pin through the mouth? Is there a special tool that crushes the pin flat over the hole of the runner when all is in place? Or, was that pin hammered flat? I've been reading a LOT on daggermanufacturing (Skipper Greenwade's Me Fecit Solingen, Siegert's gorgeous Service Daggers book, some stuff by Johnson) and I've wandered some forums, but none of the books/forums dives into scabbards on that level? Did any of you ever take on such a task?

While I'm at it; them runners? I've seen both copper 1s + noncopper 1s. Do al RZM scabbards have noncopper runners? Or do some scabbards have copper runners too?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
R.R Offline
Hi Karin,

I think you can only clean slightly your blade without damage the crossgrain.

I leave out off US too and I use a very different product to clean my blades,the automotive paint polishing paste. It is a very slight abrasive product and I think it made the same Simichrome's results.

But be careful, like the Simichrome when used in excess it can damage the crossgrain and it's not recomendable to use it in etched areas.

I usualy find this product here in Brazil at car paint stores and I think there are similars in Europe too.

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Hi Ricardo

Thanks for your reply! That paintpolishingpaste, sounds like something I've just seen being used ... on a car ... Few weeks back I dropped a crutch (+ myself with it *LOL*) against the car, it got scratched bad. Its insured, but, the increase in price would be more then paying for repair? Who understands car-insurances *LOL* Not me. Anyway, this stuff, called Commandant, in several pots, different colors, and, not an hour later, some scratches seemed totally vanished! Like magic ... Not the deeper 1s, but, that stuff must be evil for blades? It scratches off just a bit of the paint, and uses that IN the scratch to "hide"/"mask" it? Or does your Autocolor work differently?

I was thinking of trying that B2 pencil trick. But then I read that it might get the blade maybe more rustless, but less pleasant to the eyes? Its not a special blade, but, I do want to give it the best possible treatment. I'm reading positives about Simichrome, but, I don't feel good enough a Simichromer to leave any remaining crossgrain intact ...

Anyway, maybe I'm making too much of a big deal out of it ... gonna read about that Autocolor now though, thanks VERY much for the tip!

Would you happen to know about that runner-fastening too?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

R.R Offline
Hi Karin,

I pictured two blades where I used the paint polishing paste(I think images are more effective than my poor english):

OK,they was before in best condition than your, but crossgrains continues intact after polished. I used Renwax to protect both after treatment.

Seems to me the Commandant Rubbing Compound without silicons or wax is similar to product I used, but a test before in small area is very recommendable.

Sorry, I never dismounted my sccabards before and I no idea about the runner-fastening. But there is a thread about scabbards at WAF where may be you find a answer to your question: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400448&page=6

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Oh wow, Ricardo ... your blade is SOOOO beautiful! That polish cant be abrasive then! LOOK at THAT grain ... Nice

Yes, "my" dagger is not in such good condition ... if (IF!) I find the courage to start any cleaning-action, I'll post results here.

Oh, Renwax you say? Is it true that this leaves a bit of a layer on the blade? If it does, how do you get that off without wrecking that crossgrain? Not sure if I can get Renwax here, Ill possibly have to get that at eBay or something, but, might be worthwhile getting?

By the way, whats that H�ller mark there? I've only seen SA's with a H�ller mark, these only say "F.W. H�ller Solingen", not an image with that? Just curious

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

R.R Offline
Karin, this polish is very little abrasive but with some care you can use it without damage the crossgrain. I'm now just polishing my new NSKK dagger with it and I'll post results here soon.

Yes, after polished Renwax leaves a vitrifyed layer on blade, but it's necessary to protect blade against humidity. If you need to remove Renwax, I think the polish can made it without risk to crossgrain. I think you don't have very much difficulties to obtain Renwax, it's made in England.

This type of F.W.H�ller MM is frequently used in Luft and Heer daggers, I never had see it on SA blades.

It's my 2nd Luft F.W.H�ller, the same on my avatar.

Regards,

Ricardo
R.R Offline
Hi Karin,

As I promissed you here is my new NSKK dagger, blade cleaned with my car paint polishing:

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=223037#Post223037

But more specially for you here is it again as Daggers N'Roses:

Sincerely,

Ricardo

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: R.R
...But more specially for you here is it again as Daggers N'Roses...

Ricardo, wow, wow ... I honestly did NOT know daggers could be SO romantic ... OMG ... I downloaded these, I need to make my wallpaper from those, I love these, yes, I love these so much!!

But, also, everything looks gorgeous! The grip, the guards, the blade, Im impressed, and intimidated *LOL* Djeezz ... GOSH, I'm speechless ...

Thanks Ricardo This must be the post with the WAY coolest/most beautiful pics of this year! Ha! Yay!

Sincerely loving it,
Karin-Renate

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,424 SS Bayonets
1,763,799 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,555 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK dienst dolch
by BretVanSant - 05/04/2024 03:42 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Fritz Barthelmess Bavaria Muggendorf SA
by Vern - 05/04/2024 01:07 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 11:25 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:08 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,100
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sasha, BretVanSant, Skyline Drive, Jonesy, Mikee, Vern), 556 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod