Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#212000 01/25/2007 12:39 AM
OP Offline
Hello all,
If anyone here has an NSFK/DLV by any rare maker (other than Heller, SMF, Helbig) please contact me.
Makers such as David Malsch, Horster, Puma, or any other rare makers are of intrest.
Hope to hear from you.
Johnny

PS- This is NOT a "want ad", I am interested in construction differenced between manufacturers.

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
OP Offline
PSS- If you have one and are coming to the SOS we might be able to have an interesting "compare contrast" session as I will be bringing a few of mine.
Hope to hear from you...

Silver Badge #0398

Johnny,
I think these are all somewhat rare, yea you have your common makers but compared to the 1st mod. luft and luft swords etc. far fewer were made. Just my thought, My Helbig
Good luck at the SOS
Eric

F.A._Heilbig_RE.jpg (25.46 KB, 537 downloads)
Oh yea, unlike fritz this is mine.

Please post it with todays newspaper!!! Smile Smile Smile

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
E
E
Eric...You better put a watermark on the photo, or it will end up in Fritz collection,lol.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
OP Offline
Eric- Thanks for your post. Yes these are all "rare" but the "standard makers" (Helbig, SMF, etc) also have very standardized parts.
I have a few pieces by less commom manufacturers which exibit unique fittings and construction. I am meeting with Whittmann at the SOS about this and was hoping to find other examples of contruction variations within these knives.

Nice knife by the way! Wink

Silver Badge #0398

OP Offline
Oh also, if ANYONE knows who the collector is that bought the Puma NSFK from Whittmann PLEASE have them contact me.
Thanks again,
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Hi Johnny. That NSFK-Puma TW had was "salty" but rare. He had it for a while. But take a look at the Carl Krebs. Really hard to find them like that anymore. But I'm a patina man. That ones a beauty and rare too. Pat has got a
screamer Puma also.
I've got one of those "larger" scale versions. I'll dig it out and post a photo.
-wagner-

OP Offline
Wagner- Yes... I saw that Krebs, INCREDIBLE piece. At this very moment it is lying next to my Puma in a velvet lined case. Big Grin
I have asked around and thus far it is the only one known by that maker!
Who is the maker of your "larger" knife???
I will ask Pat about his Puma, but I think you may be confusing us. If you are referring to this puma:
http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/812094573/m/6120050254
it also belongs to me also... Big Grin
Thanks for the info, and I will post pics of the Krebs here sometime soon.
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Johnny you got the Krebs? GREAT! Conratulations! I was thinking of giving Tom a call on that one. Really nice piece. Glad you got it.
I believe my larger DLV is a Paul Weyersberg. Let me dig it out. It's been a while. But I do recall it being a bit larger than standard size.
Yes, I got you mixed up with Pat on that Puma.
-wagner-

S
S
You got a deal on that Carl Krebs! That's a very rare maker. Rarer than Puma! And the condition.... -wagner-
Oh, if you ever..... Wink

OP Offline
Thanks Wagner!
Wayersburg is certainly not a common maker of these knives either.
As I recall Craig Gottlieb said that he had seen Wayersbergs which were larger than standard as well.
I am very much looking forward to see your piece.

An interesting note, the Krebs is larger than standard as well! Larger than the aluminunm Helbigs, but smaller than my Puma. All fittings on the Krebs are of a unique make. It's an interesting piece! Even the blade is of unique dimentions!

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
OK! OK! I'm going to the safe...
I got to dig out a SS boker too that I have posted.
I don't know how long you been collecting, but you have made some excellent purchases on the DVL/NSFK daggers you have shown.
There are many variations. Much harder, to find than many political daggers and under appreciated. And, in my opinion, still resonably priced by todays standards. -wagner-

Johnny, Wagner,

I would be extremely careful with these "variations" and rare makers of DLV-NSFK knifes that seem to pop up recently.
I own a copy of Wittmans Luftwaffe book and I find it strange that, with his 50 years of collecting/dealing, he would have made and published a list of DLV/NSFK knife makers that would be very incomplete...

I am not saying here that your pieces are not good!

There have been (and probably still are) many attemps to copy these knifes. I believe it is because large pieces of the dagger are covered with leather which is easy to copy and to age: you can still buy this type and quality of leather today.

There are plenty of good and bad copies of the knife offered at the shows here in Europe. Beware for smaller than normal crossguards, unusual crossgrain on the blade and leather that is lighter colored than normal. It is my experience here in Belgium that unusual makersmarks are put on trials and prototypes of copies of these knifes in order to "explain the differences" with the regular knifes. So far non of the exotic makers I have seen here have past the hands-on test. Personaly I would never buy a DLV nor a NSFK knife from seeing only the pictures.

Just like you, I find these knifes very fashinating but a quite "dangerous" area of collecting hobby; hands-on inspection is a must in my opinion, even so if you buy from the big dealers.

Best greetings,

Herman

You never have enough HJ-knifes!
OP Offline
Herr Mann,
Thank you for your concern. You voiced these same suspicions when I posted pics. of my Puma here as well.
Since that time it has been checked out by a few other knowing individuals and passed with flying colors. I also have since learned of at least 3 other Puma DLV/NSFKs in collections one of which was owned by a fellow collector over 20 years ago. Thus these makers are not (IMO) "poping up recently" but rather being recognized by deticated collectors when they may have been overlooked in the past.
Yes, you are of course right that Puma and Krebs are not in Whittmanns book. However since the time of Whittmann's army book coming out how many legit makers of Heers have been recognized by collectors, and Whittmann himself???
I think that in these times of "fake" paranoia we may be overlooking the fact that these knives have themsevles been overlooked in the past. I believe that far lass attention has been historically paid to DLV/NSFKs as opposed to the "prettier" Lufts and Heers, or the more politically charged SS and SA daggers.
There was a time when collectors did not recognize the difference between Heer crossguards from one maker to another as being significant. It was not until recently that these "variations" were substantiated as differences in the makers manufacturing. I do not understand why so much variation is understood in SA's Heers, Lufts, etc. but is not understood by some in DLV and NSFK daggers???
Do we still believe that all Heers w/ aluminum fittings are post-war fakes???
I am not claiming that these pieces are "prototypes" but simpply that they exibit variations from one maker to another which in understood and accepted in nearly EVERY OTHER dagger type. What other daggers do not have any variations from one maker to another?

Besides, again, this "question" of authentification is not the topic that I originally posted about. I am looking for individuals with rare DLV/NSFK makers.
Herr Mann if you have such a knife I would be very interested to see pictures.
Best Greetings,
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Herman. You are right. It's very strange. However there are legit items that come up that nobody has ever seen. And we have to be careful not to "kill it", beacuse it's not in a book. Or that killer phrase "Gee, I don't know. I've never seen that before". But at the same time, there are some very good fakes that are out there and one has to be very careful. You are right.
Johnny just picked up a very rare maker marked
Carl Krebs from Tom Wittmann. Very rare maker marked dagger. I've seen a lot. I've seen Pumas too. But I've never seen a Carl Krebs. Have you? I'm very glad when a younger member picks up a rare dagger at what I think is a reasonable price.
But I do feel that your advice should be paramount in looking at any 3rd reich edged weapon. -wagner-

S
S
Johnny, Sorry it turns out to be a SMF, and not a Weyersberg. I'll post some pix. -wagner-

S
S
Photobucket - Video<a href=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting and Image Hosting">

S
S
Photobu<a href=Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingcket - Video and Image Hosting">

S
S
SMF-DLV on left. Eickhorn-DLV/NSPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingFK on right.

S
S
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hope this works this time... Wink

OP Offline
Wagner, Thank you VERY much for your pics. It is VERY interesting to me that SMF had a larger version as well. I think that some people doubted the larger pieces because they often seem to come from the rarer makers, I did not know that SMF produced a piece of these proportions.
THANK YOU!!
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

OP Offline
When you look at the first pic. with the standard size next to the larger SMF you can see that the scabbard, scabbard fittings and even the grip are longer wider and more massive than the standard version. Even the carrying ring is larger then standard!
This is just like the Puma that I have... VERY interesting!
I have found that people who have had these larger pieces in their collections often never notice it until they place the larger one beside a standars version.

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Your Welcome Johnny.
As you have noticed for some time, many collectors get "skittish" when something isn't texbook. There are so many variations. Some major, as in the case of the Large DLV. Others are very minor. Even TJ and TW do not dismiss "non textbook conforming" pieces anymore, if everything else looks right. I guess they must have seen a lot of "variables".
When I first saw this early nickel Large SMF-DLV, I knew right away "I've never seen one before". Photos don't do it justice. When compared to a standard (textbook) DVL/NSFK, it really stands out. The textbook version is a Dirk. The Rare Large variation is a dagger. The grip and pommel on this SMF is a slight but different design. THERE ARE NO INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS ANYWHERE.
Now, what are they? Why two complete different sizes? Waybe we will have to find out when Johnny's planed DLV/NSFK book comes out... Big Grin to be continued.... stay tuned... -wagner-

Johnny,

Did not want to repeat myself, just want to keep fellow collectors alert for possible frauds and share my way of avoiding them.

Here is a Paul Weyersberg.

Best greetings,

Herman

P0.jpg (75.53 KB, 376 downloads)

P1.jpg (71.5 KB, 357 downloads)

P2.jpg (81.19 KB, 350 downloads)

OP Offline
Herr Mann,
Now THAT is a nice dagger! Congrats! I can see from you avitar that you have a few of these. Have you noticed any differences between the makers?
I have also noticed that among "K" marked crossguards there are 2 (maybe more) variations, one has a more convex swaz. than the other. Have you noticed this on your pieces as well?
Thanks for the pics. and good hunting,
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

OP Offline
Wagner- Did you get my PM?

Silver Badge #0398

OP Offline
I have to correct myself- Carl Julius Krebs IS listed (and pictured) in Whittmann's Luft. book on page 29!!!

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Yes Johnny. I replied to it. Late last night. If you didn't get it. I'll reply again.

Herman, Very nice example of the "Large" early
DLV variations.

Also, I have to mention the quality of this variation.
It is of the highest standard in fit, finish and materials used.

-wagner-

OP Offline
Wagner, I checked the PM thread again and there is no response... strange. Please send/post your response again.

HerrMann- Is the dagger that you posted a "large" or standard version???

Silver Badge #0398

S
S
Replied to PM. Confirm if recieved. -wagner-

S
S
I thought Hermans was a large. But when comparing the grip cofiguration to mine it looks like a standard. Unless he says different.
I have seen a large Weyersberg somewhere before. -wagner-

S
S
Herman, Is your DLV a "standard" or a "Large". Thanks, -wagner-

Wagner, Johnny,

This Weyersberg has the standard measurements.

I will measure my knifes next time I will get them out of my safe, they vary a bid in lenght, but non of them has the "king" size that you guys are after here.

Best greetings,

Herman

Here is one that is considered rare: Josef Münch

Best greetings,

Herman

A1.jpg (76.67 KB, 287 downloads)

A2.jpg (97.9 KB, 285 downloads)

A3.jpg (82.68 KB, 274 downloads)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,472 SS Bayonets
1,760,278 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,741 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (AndyRose, Documentalist, Tanker, Seppi, Nietzsche), 456 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod