Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194550 07/01/2008 02:22 AM
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is there any new or definative information on the Carl Krebs "Fat Man" RAD hewer? I spoke to Tom Johnson about a year ago on this subject, and he said that while he personally leaned towards not supporting it due to lack of documetation, there were others, especially a collector in England (I can't remember his name), who do support its authenticity and had some very convincing arguments. Is the jury still out on this one?

Robert Iqbal ( Collector to Collector) has one on his site for those who can't quite bring the shape to mind.

If you want to criticise someone first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when they come after you, you'll be a mile ahead and they'll be barefoot.
DASH, first let me welcome you to the forum!
Do a search ("Find" button) I think to remember a very vivid and extensive discussion about this certain hewer.
I also think that Frederik Stephens, who did mention it in his book "R? R!" as a fake did a 180 degree turn and now believes it beeing period.
Due to several certain features of this certain hewer, including the spurious trademark which never did appear on any doubtless IIIR edged weapon by KREBS, I (and I think several other members here) still tend to believe it is a postware phantasy piece.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
AS I have stated before, I met a veteran at a show who had the box (APO mail from Germany to his hometown) of RAD Daggers he sent home from SOLINGEN during the war that had the following:
1. regular RAD EM
2. regular RAD Officer
3. RAD Officer with no motto or maker
4. RAD EM with motto on the reverse side
5. FAT MAN RAD
6. Two Dress Bayonets
All mint, unused.
He claims to have taken these directly from a factory and I have NO DOUBT that he did.
I still maintain that these were period production and never released.
JMO,
Ron Weinand

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the welcome and information. And yes, I do own one. If my memory is correct, I bought mine about 1961 from a walk in at a gun show along with a paratroop helmet (I was realy more interested in the helmet). I can't say that he "brought it back", but it didn't cost more than $40, my limit for a RAD back then. It came with a brown late style hanger in almost unused condition, with RADJ and Assmann marked nickel fittings. It is also flat die stamped with a RZM mark and 1944 on the vertical portion. The dagger itself is not mint, but in excellent condition with only some loss of plating in what would be the reverse side of the hilt ferrule area. It has a nice "feel" and the finish/quality is excellent and consistant with normal hewers. It has the normal RADJ and GES. GESCH. on the reverse (motto) side, and the crown, K and Solingen mark on the obverse side.

On a slightly different note, I purchased a RAD Sr. by Pack in the late 1950s with two hangers. The first hanger is standard, the second I can only guess is some sort of service or field hanger, and shows a fair amount of use. It is medium colored brown leather, with a 5cm x 8.5cm round bottomed shield shaped belt loop. From this, inserted between the front and back of the belt loop and sewn in are two 9cm straps in an inverted "V" with standard RAD/Luft. type sliding clips. The clips have the normal dull grey finish with only the slightest amount of a golden residue in the recesses and the loop areas, which I think is only dis-colored lacquer and not a onetime gold finish. It is die stamped with "LP By" on the reverse and the standard D.R.G.M. on the clips. Does anyone have any info on it, I don't think it is the only one around because of the reverse stamping.
Thanks again, Dan

P.S. Having sold most of my collection in the late 60's, retaining only about 50 daggers and other misc. stuff, I am one of those guys who wish they could re-think what they did. I am, however, amazed at current prices, the amount of available information, excellent reference material, the Germandaggers site, and the truly knowledeable people in the collecting community today.

D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just a clarifying note on the RAD Sr. "service" hanger, the clips mentioned are the bottom clips, there are no buckles, sliders or any means of adjustment. Dan

S
S
Excellent points in this thread.
Back in the days were the vets were bringing stuff to the Gun shows one would see some odd items. Some we thought were post-war parts pieces, etc.
Many years later we find that they were indeed original and rare. Some were just never issued like the HJ "clip blade" knife. Ron, knows those very well. They were in the factory in April 45. Also HJ Leader's with longer blade and all metal scabbards.
Who knows what else? Our G.I's went in a cleaned out Solingen of all their completed edged weapons at wars end.

Great thread. Wink

-serge-

F
F
The story of the Krebs "Fat Man" hewer being a post-war fantasy circulated because Lt.C. James P. Atwood turned up vast quantities of them which he released on to the market - and it was assumed at that time (late 1960s) that Atwood had been having them produced.

Initially I believed this story, having no other evidence to go upon other than the photos that were being circulated. However, having obtained one specimen, and examining it thoroughly, I have come to the conclusion:
a) That the item is authentic, and constructed to rigid working tolerances.
b)In my opinion the item is an early period production, having an iron hilt (later period pieces tended to have alloy hilts).

Wotan, you stated:
quote:
Due to several certain features of this certain hewer, including the spurious trademark which never did appear on any doubtless IIIR edged weapon by KREBS, I (and I think several other members here) still tend to believe it is a postware phantasy piece.

I must correct you on this point. The version of the Krebs trademark is one that was in use during the earlier years of the Third Reich. Carter records this version of the mark (as well as five other variations) in his "The Sword and Knife Makers of Germany, 1850-2000".

Another feature of the mark is that it is stamped into the blade, and not etched. This is consistent with blade proofing.

The reason why Krebs should produce this version of the hewer is not known, although I speculate that it was possibly an original production run which was either rejected, or the blade specification changed, by the RAD authority.

I compiled a comprehensive feature about this RAD hewer for the "Armourer" magazine five or six years ago. If anyone has access to the article, I have no objections to it being posted up here on the site for further comment.

FJS

I agree with Wotan. I have never seen this particular TM on any authentic 3rd Reich edged weapon. I have however seen it on the "Atwood" 60's era parts RAD leader daggers that had the very thin blade.
IMO this makes the " Fat Man" questionable as a "period" piece. Now if I could see this TM on another period blade I might change my mind.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
DASH, would you -plase- show us photographs from your hewer?
I have great respect to the knowledge and experience of very long time collector and dealer Ron Weinand.
Therefore I do not have any doubt about his statement.
BUT it would have to be much more detailed because there are a lot of questions:
Was there any proof that the lot was a totally true war souvenir, were there bring back papers with them?
Were all the mentioned items from KREBS?
Were all the mentioned hewers/bajonets complete and totally assembled and with scabbards?
Were all the mentioned hewers/bajonets maker marked?
Which special kind of maker mark did have those with maker mark?
Did all the mentioned hewers have the motto?
Did all the EM hewers have the RADL triangle proofmark?

All the fat man hewers I have seen had the RADL triangle. Therefore it would have to be a PROOFED and a by the RAD leadership ACCEPTED and OFFICIALLY ADOPTED model which I doubt because if official I would assume there would be much more around.
Nearly all those "fat man" which are around are without scabbards.
My theory (just an assumption due to the circumstances and the form of the blade) is the following: The form of the blade is a well known hunting blade of medieval times called (germ.) "Jagdpraxe". KREBS might have manufactured such blades for private hunting use in the beginning of the 20th century too. I think I have seen such blades in hunting catalogues of this time.
At the end of WWII such (plain) blades were found at Solingen or by workers at KREBS and "defunctioned" to RAD blades for souvenir hunters. Main quantity by Atwood lateron.

As the "normal" EM hewer has been so very heavy so that the much lighter officer hewers has been developed and also the EM hewers sometimes (later) were produced with lightwight grips to reduce weight, such a "fat man" would be absolutely contraproductive to any period development.

I also do respect Frederick J Stephens, who did foundamental work for our hobby, very much and will come back on his statement later, have to look through my files first.

I also want to mention that I have truely a lot of "wearing" pictures. I have TN leader wearers, RRPP wearers, even a water custom wearer. But I have never seen nor heard of a fat man in wear...

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
The box HAD the veteran's name and address on the front and the APO return address. The blades were COMPLETE with scabbards.
In the box was the man's military bring back paper with the number of blades described:
1 bayonet, 1 knife, etc., so I have no doubt it was complete and as shipped home.
As far as maker's marks, etc., it was not important at the time (1960s) and I didn't pay any attention. Stupid me: he also had a PPS Police Bayonet that I passed up because it was different also (not part of the box shipment, but another lot of returned items by him).
I am not the only one who saw a Fat Man returned by a veteran, as another collector I know also saw one in a veteran lot.
Ron Weinand

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
I could believe that these were official RAD approved trial or prototype early Officer pieces somewhat like the full grip Eickhorns --rejected perhaps because of the weight and other factors-BUT--the TM--as far as I have seen --only appears on these and 60's fakes. IF this TM in fact did appear on early authentic pieces--Let's see one! IMO -that would end this debate that has been going on since the 60's--perhaps before.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
P
P
quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:

the TM--as far as I have seen --only appears on these and 60's fakes. IF this TM in fact did appear on early authentic pieces--Let's see one! IMO -that would end this debate that has been going on since the 60's--perhaps before.

Amen ! Smile

D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It seams as if I have stirred up a hornets nest. I would love to post some pictures, but it will have to wait until I can get my daughters camera, and then learn how to post a picture. I may wind up having to email the pictures to someone. I have never had this dagger apart, but I filed a spanner screwdriver and took the grip apart (as this is my only hewer, is it normal for it to have bolts with spanner nuts like a S84/98?). Here are some observations (to be honest, I never really looked at the dagger this closely, never had it apart, and did not realize it was different when I bought it - I wanted that paratroop helmet):

1)Overall fit: blade to hilt, grips to hilt, hilt squareness to scabbard throat, scabbard fittings to scabbard body - all excellent.
2)Overall finish: Hilt (magnetic) casting and casting lines very good, nickel plating, except for worn spot, smooth and good quality.
3) Scabbard fittings appear to be solid nickel, stamped designs are crisp and fine.
4) RADJ triangle and GES. GESCH. on motto side (reverse)is etched, as is the motto.
5) Makers mark on obverse (imperial crown, fancy "X" shaped K, and Solingen is stamped, with Solingen curved like a rocker, near the hilt.
6) Only about 2/3 of tang is visible, and it has a 6mm number 10 forge mark.
7) Mid hilt strap, which has 1 of 2 blade attachment rivets, is stamped with a 3mm assembly number 5, which is also marked in black pencil on each grip.
8) No hilt washer.
9) This is only an opinion, but the dagger just feels good, when you insert the dagger into the scabbard, it literally leaps in with a clicking snap, like a door closing. Naturally, I am partial, but the more I look at it, the more I like it - but this has nothing to do with the basic question of authenticity.

Also, having never seen one in a picture doesn't hold much water as they look the same as any other hewer when in the scabbard.

Hey, while I have everyones attention, has anyone ever seen a Luftwaffe type portepee with an overlay on the ball portion. It is almost like a sock with a hidden drawstring at the bottom, but made of strands of 2 gold and 1 pinkish red twisted vertical cords. The cords are attached/glued where the top spiral ends, and can be easilly separated to see the normal silver ball under it.

I will make every effort to get some pictures in, but it may take a while. Dan

D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
One additional observation. We (I) did not put that much emphasis on trademarks back then. Sure we knew the basic ALCOSO, Eickhorn and WKC marks, but they were not a big deal. I am certainly no trademark expert - not even close. But I do have questions like everyone else, for example:

Tom Whitmann, who I have the utmost respect for, warns collectors in his Navy dagger book to avoid the Horster trademark without the circle or oval. Yet I have seen that trade mark on 3rd Reich period Horster products and publications. It is shown on page 226 in Tom Johnsons "Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich, vol 1", on a NSKOV bayonet, and again on a period Horster advertisement shown on page 833 of "German Daggers of WW2, vol 3", also by Tom Johnson. I never asked Tom Whitmann
to clarify his statement, as I am sure he has good reason for it and it actually doesn't matter that much to me. BUT

People may believe what they want to, but until the facts are 100% and documented, they are really only strong opinions and conjecture.

As I mentioned, I have only about $40 invested in this dagger, but I would dearly like to have the mystery solved one way or the other, but by fact if possible. Dan

S
S
Well what do you know, we still have an old "FATMAN" thread remaining with photos of Ron's Krebs!

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/812094573/...250023493#2250023493

An interesting post by "Duane" where he states what Heer Krebbs told Angolia about this hewer when he interviewed him for his book.

If this is the one that was faked by J. Atwood in the 60's...it's by far the best "Atwood" I've ever seen.
And I really don't care what others say, I like this quality fake with scabbard and Ma numbers. It will go good with my "fake" HJ "bowie" knife. Wink

RON, IF YOU STILL OWN THIS "FATMAN" PLEASE PM ME.

Dan, how does Ron's example compare to yours?

Thanks,
-serge-

While I will(ok, always have thought)buy off that these were period. Issued??? ahhh well maybe maybe not. I've seen alot of stuff that has changed over the years so like Mulder "I want to believe" but looks like someones got some splain' to to Lucy. And not everything vets brought home were brought home. They were making money selling this stuff to collectors also. Fred, if your still reading this and you have your piece written up I for one would like to see what you wrote. Ok, now we have 2 variants does that shoot the price up. These pics are from Ron W. and Robert I. Rons is the blue background and Roberts is the black.

RW1a.jpg (32.34 KB, 494 downloads)
This pic is from Roberts site and his fatman.To edit a bit here Robert states he thinks these were post war made up. just so I am clear.
Bret Van Sant

RIF1a.jpg (57.52 KB, 479 downloads)
F
F
If I can find my copy of my article I will post it. I have presently mislaid my copy, but I will endeavour to find it.

Regarding the stamped Krebs mark, I have to ask you Houston, how do you know that those pieces brought in by Atwood, with the stamped Krebs TM, are actually post-war production? Just because you haven't seen that version of the trade mark on any other Third Reich piece does not mean that it is spurious - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

For the faker, it would have been easier to have etched the TM at the same time the blade motto was being etched. The fact that someone went to the trouble to invest in a stamp, and the means to embed it into the blade tends to weigh strongly in favour of authenticity in this case - in my opinion.

S
S
I concur with Fred.
I also don't recall Atwood blades with "stamped" blades. Maybe he did, but I believe all the ones I do remember were acid etched.

Can we get a close-up of the Krebbs mark on Bob's hewer?

-serge-

Come on Fred. I never said I know they are post war--and you don't KNOW that they are not. I said they are questionable- you classified them as fakes for many years-and now you have changed your opinion. I am waiting for what I consider proof what they are before I make a final conclusion. I don't have it --and you don't have it. You said those TM's existed pre-war-Let's see one!
Etched or Stamped? In fact there are fakes with stamped TM's. Conclusion? No conclusion just on this aspect.
Fat Man variations? There are in fact -several-two are shown above. Which is correct? There are also pieces with nickel alloy hilts-some with the motto on the obverse-some with no TM-some with no RAD approval. Which are correct and period? Are any correct and period? The jury is still out and has been for about 50 years. A new opinion, older opinion, or a recent opinion still IMO does not mean much. We wait for the proof.

D
D
HERE YOU GO FRED MY SIGNED COPY HOPE IT HELPS
DIPPY

CIMG3498_(Medium).JPG (54.88 KB, 423 downloads)
D
D
W

CIMG3500_(Medium).JPG (75.73 KB, 422 downloads)
D
D
WE

CIMG3501_(Medium)_(2).JPG (81.51 KB, 409 downloads)
D
D
T

CIMG3504_(Medium).JPG (83.76 KB, 410 downloads)
D
D
ANY OTHER HELP LET ME KNOW
DIPPY Cool

CIMG3505_(Medium).JPG (65.46 KB, 394 downloads)
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
OK Cog-Hammer (aka Ricky), you got me, I guess I do have some splainin to do. I don't actually have $40 into the dagger, I have $40 into the dagger and hanger, which after reading the thread mentioned above, is the type with the removeable belt loop.

In looking at the two pictures, my first response was to say my dagger is like Roberts on the black background, due to the RADJ etch on the blade. Rons dagger did not appear to have the etch. Then I noticed that Roberts does not appear to have the pronounced edge cut out at the ricasso. Rons does. Then, in looking at the old thread listed above and looking at the closeup of Rons dagger, his RADJ etching and the makers mark stamp do show, along with the blade notch. That makes Rons just about identical to mine.

I also found the quote from Her Krebs to Angolia
"it was a wartime design produced by his firm" to be very interesting. Dan

D
D
HI IN A PREVIOUS STATEMENT IT WAS MENTIONED THAT FRED DONE A 180 .I ADMIRE ANYONE THAT CAN CHANGE THERE MIND THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS HOBBY PROGRESS I SEE IT AS A STRENGTH NOT A WEAKNESS AND BECAUSE OF THIS THE FATMAN HEWER DISCUSSION HAS BLOSSOMED THERE WAS A WAR ON AND I AM SURE TEXT BOOK WAS THE LAST THING ON MINDS,MAYBE WE COULD DO A LITTLE SURVEY TO SEE WHAT THE GENERAL OPINION IS AND SEE HOW WE GO I WILL START I THINK IT IS MOST LIKELY OK.
THANKS DIPPY

I LOVE THOSE LITTLE SAYINGS YOU GUYS PUT ON THE BOTTOM SO HERE GOES MINE

A MAN THAT CANT CHANGE HIS MIND CANT CHANGE ANYTHING !!! Big Grin

F
F
Dippy,

Thanks for posting the the magazine pages of my article. I now have some pages of my own, so I will try and put them up this weekend, hopefully they will be clearer.

Houston,
Perhaps I misunderstood you when you stated:

quote:
I could believe that these were official RAD approved trial or prototype early Officer pieces somewhat like the full grip Eickhorns --rejected perhaps because of the weight and other factors-BUT--the TM--as far as I have seen --only appears on these and 60's fakes.

This gives me the impression that you are saying that this particular form of trademark is known only on these hewers and 1960's fakes. Am I correct in this interpretation? In which case, please show me some 1960's fake (other than the RAD hewer) which has this form of Krebs mark.

Like many people, I believed the story that these were faked items (easy to condemn something just because it is "different") brought in by Atwood. However, when I finally had the chance to examine one in detail and at great length, I started to come to the conclusion that the item was real - regardless of its curious features. I see nothing wrong with changing my opinion in the light of better evidence.

I am appending a detail image of the markings on the hewer in my possession. Sadly it is in relic condition, but I still think that it is real. The Krebs TM is stamped, and the RAJD emblem and Ges. Gesch. are lightly etched. The Arbeit adelt is also lightly etched.

fjs

DETAILS_OF_KREBS_MARK.jpg (103.76 KB, 333 downloads)
I don't want to rehash my position on this design again, but, as some of you will remember, I had stated that the design of this blade was from a 1930s Solingen manufacturer's catalog of a foreign piece entitled: Mine Official's Dagger. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the catalog or the company, but I remember seeing the piece and the hilt was slightly different from the EM RAD and had a shield shaped design on the langent and had crossed miner's hammers on the shield.
I believe the country was either Finland or Holland, but can't remember forsure and can't find the catalog in my old stash.
Can anyone help?
It was more of a line drawing and the scabbard had two ring mount fittings with a bottom fitting similar to the design of the top ringed fitting. Metal scabbard, but slightly more narrow than the RAD EM.
Ron Weinand

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
On reading and re-reading all the input on this topic, I came to the definate conclusion that I am not the only person who has trouble spelling HERR Krebs.

I also like the suggestion by Dippy to have a poll, if for no other reason, just to see where we stand at this point.

If so, for reasons based on the quality and how I acquired my dagger, plus the statement by Herr Krebs, I vote that the "fat man" be considered a viable and authentic variation, just as the full stag grip hewer is. I would say that also covers the (identical) daggers owned by Ron Weinand and Mr. Stephans, and leads me to my next thought, as I admit to sometimes running in tunnel vision mode.

It never occurred to me that there might be variations on the fat man theme as brought out in this discussion. That leads me to open another can of worms. We do not brand, say, all army or navy daggers as fakes because there are:

1) many variations.
2) many variations in details and makers marks within a single manufacturer. (for example, WKC naval daggers).
3) authentic period daggers, parts daggers, post war factory daggers and outright fakes, all are somewhat similar and dis-similar, each with certain qualifying attributes.

Therefore, perhaps, instead of evaluating the fat man as a group, we shold start evaluating each piece on individual merit and accepted detail, as we do, for example, WKC navies. Dan

D
D
i wish i could buy a fatman ,in a poker game it would give me a full house,if you want to sell for the $40 im yer man,experience is a big factor ,i saw the first man on the moon,or was it what we were allowed to see,things change computers allow us to access info at the click of a button,i have seen, i remember ,is very valid, but i have ,lets compare and it said on the box he sent it must have some street cred,i dont like to do the look what i have routine but here is a bunch of could be maybe but i think is ,and who cares coz i luv my rad daggers ,before they are ripped to shreds i do vet buys all the time and most come from them,us do text book, german do we make them only the best way and one way, and uk do well ere it is .
cmon guys could there be a fatman ??????
the new kid on the block dippy
would love pms from anyone on daggers
p.s . anyone got a top clip for the light browm hanger.

CIMG3506_(Medium)_(Small).JPG (53.24 KB, 331 downloads)
D
D

CIMG3509_(Medium).JPG (68.58 KB, 328 downloads)
D
D

CIMG3511_(Medium).JPG (56.36 KB, 320 downloads)
D
D

CIMG3514_(Medium).JPG (66.39 KB, 319 downloads)
D
D
#

CIMG3514_(Medium).JPG (66.39 KB, 320 downloads)
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
DIPPY - Excellent SELECTION and VARIETY of RAD daggers AND hangers.

Over the years I have owned many hewers, but I always wanted, and never got, one with full stag grips. You are fortunate to have two in such nice condition, with ID markings to boot!

Dan

D
D
thanks for the compliment i should really only keep one full stag but i have been collecting for 8 years now and have only ever seen 6 in pics or handling so i think i will keep them, it seems one has a low number and the numbers go in a different direction,they all look great together in the flesh,so i just have to keep them blasted hobby real addictive.if you notice the three leaders have a variant the herder is obvious with orange handle ,the wkc is standard but the unusual pack has the radl triangle ,what other makers have this does anyone know.oh quite ironic as well that the other hewer i have is a krebs it is in very good condition with beefy stag grips ,just got to find that elusive FAT MAN.
thanks dippy

D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Dippy - The thing that I find interesting is the LACK of the RADJ triangle. Perhaps I took them for granted or just plain didn't notice when they were missing. As I mentioned in my reply to Gary (BAZ69), "I have never owned or remember handling a RAD dagger without the triangle". Shows how un-observant we (I)can be at times.

Concerning your Pack, as I mentioned earlier, in the late 50's I bought a Pack Sr. which I still own, along with the standard and non standard hangers. The grips on mine are just about the same color as yours. The makers mark is different. On mine, the RAD triangle (on the reverse) is a rather delicate but crisp etch, with the top 1 13/16" (46mm) from the hilt, with one corner just barely touching the fuller. GES. GESCH. is below it. Below that, also in a very delicate and crisp etch is a 7/16" (11mm) Sigfried logo without the circle. "E.PACK & SOHNE", "SOLINGEN" is below it.

Interesting, same dagger, same manufacturer, different and ETCHED makers mark. Dan

@Ron Weinand, thank you very much for answering my questions in details. Highly appreciated.

@ Frederick J. Stephens, as you correctly stated, Carter´s book covers trademarks from 1850 - 2000; I never doubted that the certain trademark would be out of THAT period Wink.
Your very interesting photograph of a hewer with stamped trademark and etched RADL triangle would match my personal theory that any hunting blades were post war enhanced for selling either to the occupying troops or ... to Atwood.
but not being an officially approoved model.

As already said several times, I (also) will wait for this certain mark appearing on any doubtless period IIIR edged weapon before I do consider implying the "fatman" into this certain period.
If any collector does own one or wants to buy one and is happy with it, not the least problem. I for myself still avoid it for my personal collection.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

S
S
After seeing all this I have come to a conclustion what I believe "may" have happened to these mysterious "Fat Man" hewers.
As Fred mentioned, that they indeed were a war-time production item for a pattern that was for some reason not released from the factory but for perhaps a very few examples. We have the statement from Herr Krebs given to Angolia that they were period produced.
Also the fact that Ron has seen a whole box of Krebs produced mint edged weapons taken out of the factory by the veteran.
I don't believe the "fat Man" would qualify as a "Field Day" GI piece.
To me- not seeing that trademark on another 3rd reich edged weapon is not a "first". Many collectrors used to think that the Early simple single oval Eickhorn logo was not "period". And some believe it's not "correct" today. Although it has been proven by many examples out of the "woodwork".
Also why make a special stamping die of an unknown style of logo for an unknown (variation) blade style?
I venture to say that Jim Atwood found a stash of these in the factory and he released these along with everything else. And because of Atwood's reputation for Parts/repro pieces this hewer was perhaps "the baby thrown out with the bath water", and it is indeed a period produced item. Razz

And finally Ron, what happened to the photos of your Hewer that were on the old link just yesterday? Did you remove them?
...OR is that the actions of that voracious BIG GDC termite that the GDC owner/s can't seem to catch and do away with for 3 years now? Confused Eek Frown

Regards,
-serge-

Sorry Fred--but I can't supply a photo of the 60's repro/parts leader hewer by Krebs that came out in the 60's with the same TM as the Fat Man. I have seen several but not of late. Many of these were "converted" and now are gone since most/all of the parts were original except the blade and there were many left over original blades that were located a bit later and offered for sale ( and some may still be available ).
Most serious collectors who were collecting daggers in the 60's are aware of these thin bladed parts pieces though and even you make mention of it in your R/R book, volume 2, page 94.
I am not certain what the Fat Man really is although there is no doubt a lot of them are poorly made with no scabbard and in all probability are fake/parts.
The others ones though, with scabbard and well made, such as the one Ron has, is IMO a good looking, interesting and attractive piece and if I found a minty one at a good price there is no doubt I would keep it , whatever it is, as this type is quite rare.
But, IMO-it will always remain questionable, as it has for all these years, unless further information is located. Reference this subject -opinions IMO are not worth that much-everyone has one. As this time I would say the correct answer is that -sorry--we just don't know.
I'll add another tidbit--Many years ago when I visited the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, Ga. I was shocked to see one of the quality Fat Man hewers on display listed as donated by a vet. This of course is further information leading one to believe the quality ones are period--but no real proof. I would need to see a period, non RAD piece with that same TM to convince me--and I'm sure many others feel the same.

No, I did nothing to the photos, but my photo server was, evidently, down for some time.
As to the piece, it sold on this site at the same time the discussion was going on long ago to one of the members on this site.
The one in my collection is in the bank currently, and, as with the extended weekend, I can't get to it.
I have several RAD Hewer variations in the bank and don't remember how many, but a MINT RAD Fatman is one of these. I have had it for years and it came from the late 1950s or early 1960s and is not one of the no scabbard varieties, which I believe are left overs from the factory post war sold.
JMO,
Ron Weinand

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
F
F
Houston,

I agree that there will always be a question mark over the "Fat Man" hewer - and the existence of post-war Atwood examples (without the notch in the blade under the guard) has served only to muddy the waters.

I think it is a case of some of Atwood's bad apples destroying the reputation of all pieces. I will look to see if I can find an example of a Third Reich period blade with that specific form of the Krebs trade mark punched into the blade. Likewise, I am keen to see any post-war manufactured that bears the same trademark.

I still believe that my example, and others like it, are authentic and that they are probably from the early period. Has anybody got a Krebs catalogue from the early period, which might show the company trademark without the more usual oval surround?

fjs

Fred. Tom J. references a krebs catalog in one of his early books. Not sure which but I can look. I was tracking the numbered ricassos in early 2000 and 2001 but no one seemed to care ao I quit doing that, thats when I noted the krebs catalog used a reference by Tom. I'm thinking he owned it???
Bret Van Sant

OK Fred. So now you are saying the ones without the notch are bad. May I ask why you think so? Are they, except for that feature, exactly the same as the ones with the notch?

F
F
Houston,

No - I am not saying that the “Fat Man” without the notch is a fake. What I stated was that the examples Atwood presented serve only to confuse things - and that Atwood’s general business in reproductions (as well as his “parts” daggers and also his finds of authentic left over stock) has tended to cloud the issue and tarnish the reputation of some pieces that are "different".

Now I haven’t handled an example of the “Fat Man” without the notch in the blade, and until I do so I am unable to make any precise comment. The image that cog-hammer presented earlier on is not detailed enough to allow any definitive statement. What I would like to see are close-up detail views of that piece, and specifically good detail of the trademark. It is not out of the question that Krebs might have had two versions of the "Fat Man" blade, although I personally think that this is unlikely.

Frederick J. Stephens

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,506 SS Bayonets
1,760,285 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
18 members (atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten, Documentalist, Don Scowen, polop, Browning1900, Tanker, BAM, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Julianek, ANTIK-1933, The_Collector), 599 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod