Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi all:

I was looking through Himmler's files and came across these orders in a folder described as "Collection of Daggers 1945." Since they are dated 5 May 1945, it would be great if they could be translated.

Thanks,

Ross Kelbaugh

doc1.JPG (77.78 KB, 264 downloads)

"Making History Personal"- Research for Collectors by a Collector.
OP Offline
Here is the second one.

Ross Kelbaugh

doc2.JPG (49.41 KB, 263 downloads)

I
I
1st letter:

To the Councilor of the Regional Higher Court
Mr. Müller
Führer Head Quarter

Dear party comrade Müller!

I send the enclosed letter of the "SA-Sturmführer" (SA Storm Leader) Cammann, NPEA, Reichenau, with the request to present it to "Reichsleiter" (Reich Leader) Bormann. The collection of daggers would surely lead to a good result. The question is however whether in accordance with the suggestion a treatment for equipping the "Volkssturmes" (people storm) shall be accomplished or whether the incidental quantities shall be used for other purposes.

I would be grateful, if you would let me know the opinion of the "Reichsleiters" (Reich Leader) in order to inform the "Reichsführer-SS" (Reich Leader SS).

Heil Hitler!

FYI - "Reichenau" is a small peninsula in the Lake of Constance (today´s border lake between Germany, Switzerland and Austria).

I
I
2nd letter:

To
"SA-Sturmführer" (SA Storm Leader) and "Oberleutnant d.R." (First Lieutenant of the Reserve) Cammann
NPEA, Reichenau
Postal Office Konstanz-Wollmatingen

I thank you on behalf of the "Reichsführer-SS" (Reich Leader SS) for your consideration (or information) regarding the collection of daggers. I have taken care to forward your suggestion to "Reichsleiter" (Reich Leader) Bormann.

Heil Hitler!

FYI - "Konstanz-Wollmatingen" are villages at the Lake of Constance close to the peninsula "Reichenau".

OP Offline
Thanks for the help ivbaust and an added tip of the topper for helping all of us better understand this era.

Regards,

Ross Kelbaugh

Ross, Great Historical Information Noted....

ivbaust ...Thanks for the super translation...

Now, as to the 'meaning' of it all:

1. Was the purpose of the letter to Suggest that a prior Collection of Daggers (Types, unknown?) be provided to the Volkssturm?
2. or 'used for other purposes?...
3. It seems to suggest that other Dagger 'quantites' seem to exist, in addition to the 'Collection?'

VERY Interesting Read & Information!!! ....... Dave/dblmed

[Always looking for TeNo � Schuma � Technische Noodhulp Items...]
I
I
After reading this letter a few times I have the following assumption and/or theory:

The words "... collection of daggers ..." could mean in this case collecting all existing SA daggers for an armament of the Geman population. I think the German word "Volkssturm" means in this context the "aggress through the German population", meaning all Germans had to defend the Third Reich with their lifes.

I assume there has been the proposal of the SA storm leader Cammann to collect all SA daggers, which have been dress daggers "only". After collecting all these SA daggers he (Cammann) proposed to arm the German population with these daggers as weapons in order to prevent the defeat of Germany (or to use them for other purposes). The date May 5, 1945 supports this theory. The war was already lost for Germany, but Hitler had one final plan to achieve his "Endsieg", the ultimate victory (or to prevent the defeat) ... the "Volkssturm": the armament of the remaining population to either win the war or to die in glory (which was nothing else than sacrifice the population).

If this would be the case these letters are absolutely unique documents.

However, I must admit, this is just my theory.

NPEA Reichenau was one of the facilities established during the war in Reichsgau Baden. In 1942 it had 3 classes with a total of 80 students. From my research, these were too young to have had the regular NPEA Student's Dagger and would have only had the HJ Knife.
Also, the staff would have worn the NPEA Leader's Dagger and these would have been the property of the school and this is what the letter might have been referring to, although it might have been possible that some student daggers were allocated to this sight for later issue.
At any conclusion, the stretch of worrying about issuing this small number of daggers to the Volksstrum shows the panic and fear of the local leaders concerning arming of the local civilians.
JMO,
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,967 SS Bayonets
1,762,198 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,180 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/19/2024 09:03 PM
Frog question.
by ed773 - 04/19/2024 06:57 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,038
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (C. Wetzel-20609, ed773, Texasuberalles, seany, Vern, Documentalist, sellick8302@rogers.com, Stephen, den70), 882 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod