Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Paul and Pat.

I studied at the feet of two masters. Both of you have shown me what good pictures can do. And I think that I have learned from you.

And thank you all for looking and commenting.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Hello John,

Here are several photos of mine for comparison. Well, it is almost a "funeral" dagger. I guess my time isn't up yet since it still has about half of its paint. It keeps flaking off here and there though. Maybe one of these days, if I live long enough, I'll have a "funeral" dagger.

My dagger has the same darkened finish on all of the fittings just like yours. The ferrule is a little bit brighter than the rest but notice how the bottom edge has been ground down so that it perfectly meets the rounded top of the crossguard. It is nicely hand fitted here so it is definitely original to the dagger.

Also notice how the tang has been ground down to accept the grip. The inside of the grip hasn't been altered any at all. The grip only fits one way, it will not fit if I try to turn it to the other side. Also, the crossguard fits snug to the blade as well and cannot be removed. I've tried and it won't budge.

The grip on my dagger is also very "bulbous" compared to most other 2nd Luft grips. I've included a photo with this grip next to a grip on one of my 2nd Lufts by Carl Eickhorn. Notice how voluptous the Klaas grip is compared to the Eickhorn grip.

I think that covers most of the notable items about this dagger.

Here are the photos.

Thanks, Doug

JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Paul and Doug:

Great daggers there.

On Doug's dagger, I note that the grip is black and has been painted. Same on Paul's. However, on my black grip, I see white material on the inside. Take a look at the three shots of the inside of the grip.

What can account for this? White grip painted black? If that is the case, then it was done before the wire was applied, right?

Interesting hobby isn't it?

Regards,

John

M
M
quote:
Originally posted by JohnZ:
Paul and Doug:

Great daggers there.

On Doug's dagger, I note that the grip is black and has been painted. Same on Paul's. However, on my black grip, I see white material on the inside. Take a look at the three shots of the inside of the grip.

What can account for this? White grip painted black? If that is the case, then it was done before the wire was applied, right?

Interesting hobby isn't it?

Regards,

John

Easily solved by just taking a tiny scrape from under the pommel or ferrule area, just a tiny scrape from an edge, I bet my pension that grip is Black throughout.

Nolan

The older I get the better I was!
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Nolan/Paul:

I will do that and get back to you.

Maybe I am just misreading the pictures.

John

If you do a look at the "Luft2 - a Crappy Zeitler" -thread you can compare my ZEITLER. Obviously parts baught at the KLAAS firm, nearly identically to JohnZ�s KLAAS with yellow grip.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
quote:
Originally posted by JohnZ:
Ed:

That is how I interpret the white color on the inside of the grip...why would anyone paint the inside of a grip?

If it is a paint job, it is a great one... you cannot see any sign of it on the exterior.

John

Did some knows the history of the Luft Funeral daggers ? Are they made as "Funeral daggers" or did they made them with other types of grip and repaint them ?

Lh 600

Nice dagger John Z Cool

Enjoying the show SmileLH600 the funeral dagger is just a term made up by collectors Klaas for some unknown reason had some black grips that they used up in their production. They all have remnants of paint on them which indicates they where not issued in black. Why did Klaas have some Black grips? Guess that will remain one of the unanswered questions of the hobby.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
quote:
WW2-Collector

Hi
Many thanks for the info about this type of daggers Smile

Lh 600

Spot the odd one out >

This was posted by Denny, many moons back and was taken at the wedding of Eric Hartmann. I would love to see the uncropped original if anybody has it?.

new.jpg (99.34 KB, 220 downloads)
There is some debate in the collecting community as to if they all were originally painted white or yellow/orange. Some hold that quantities of these where sold with black grips.

M
M
That photo has been thrown around for ages, surprised no-one ever spotted that dark/black grip before??? Could a grip have darkened so much during the period or is it indeed Black??
Whatever! I would like one, I love 2nd Lufts.

Nolan

The older I get the better I was!
JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Well Guys:

I took a sharp knife to the inside of my black grip and found that I could scrape off the whit stuff on the inside. The grip is solid black...

The white stuff could be caked on grease or hardened glue, it is hard to tell except for the fact that it was caked on pretty hard.

So much for jumping to conclusions and trying to outguess years and years of knowledge about these daggers Red Face Red Face

Thank you all for your great comments and sharing of information on these neat daggers.

John

Concerning the well known photograph: Imo this prooves nothing because, if that certain dagger would have had a black grip it also would have a black blade(!). Grip AND blade in the photograph are distinctly different to the daggers in the photograph. Imo this is simply caused by any shadow.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
I also have a black Klaas, it can be viewed here.

It is by far the coolest 2nd Luft I've seen.

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/886093573/m/9250015255

I just looked at the handle of mine and there are a couple of very tiny scratches that show a lighter color underneath.

JohnZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Eric:

Yours is a funeral dagger... for sure.

Cool!

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,477 SS Bayonets
1,764,485 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,268 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:23 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:15 AM
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Texasuberalles - 05/11/2024 12:12 AM
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/10/2024 10:51 PM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by Cameron - 05/10/2024 10:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,200
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (Sasha, polop, Vern, stingray), 571 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod