Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I only hope to resolve much of my thinking to myself as I worked in a Pittsburgh steel mill when I was 14 during the WW11 early years and I was hired because they could not get enough grown men. I remember the old men on the furnaces use to say Hey Boy, you luck you have job like this one. I work here 35 years and you come and get money like me etc.. It was a place of young boy and old men. How many million men they had in Hitler’s Army I do not know, but if they all had bayonets and daggers you can bet they were not put together by precision jewelers. Craftsmanship went out the window when it went to war just as it did in the United States. Look at the pictures of the old men and boys in the Eickhorn shop in some of Johnson’s books. They are working with old crude machinery. I just feel lucky to find some good clean pieces once in awhile.

Thanks again for looking.
Sincerely,
HUBERTUS

Online Content
Ralph,

I have a number of baypnets that also exhibit a slight space underneath the leather washer. Not all but enough to draw the conclusion that it happened enough not to be a concern.

I also did want to say that you've got some collection, great stuff and an eye for the unusual. I had been hoping you'd stick with hirschfängers so the rest of us would have something to find Smile

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Ralph

I to have a lot of bayonets that have the gap between the blade and crossguard. The engraving not covering the fuller was something that I had not seen before.

I also believe that since these were priviate purchase items you could get whatever you wanted if money was no object. There are several one of a kind edged weapon that are in collections.

There are probably more variations to Dress bayonets than any other edge weapon. We know that parts of the bayonet were used by several makers.

I wish I had a bayonet like yours that no one had seen before. Makes for a fun hobby when something new and different is found.

Thanks again for sharing your collection and knowledge with us.

Billy
I think its to late, Ralph has already found all the neat stuff Smile.

TKissinger

TKissinger
Yeah! What Billy & Terry said!

In this day of repos it's good to view these things in an analytical light. Conversely, we have to remember that the Germans weren't making these things for our benefit, or with an eye to the future. Anything could, and probably did happen. We can only use the existing information as a guideline - not as the gospel and avoid falling into "analysis paralysis".

Bottom line for us all - If you like it and feel comfortable with it, go for it!

Show us more Ralph, it's a learning experience for us all....

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
quote:
Originally posted by Denny Gaither:
Conversely, we have to remember that the Germans weren't making these things for our benefit,
Denny I have to respectfully disagree with you, many are made today for our benefit :-), guys on the serious side, keep in mind that the ks 98 is plentiful, many fine pieces are out there that could lead to corruption. As ks98 etched pieces become more popular, the originals will become a minority. I will soon post pics from Richard kuchta's collection. great discussion keep it going!!!

BCN Founder
Update on the art deco SS runics shown in the first post in this thread. I'm sure it will surprise most to learn that an EICKHORN showed up at the SOS. It was bought for practically nothing by a friend. It had the rather rare Eickhorn Artillery cannon-remembrance scrolls and an almost EXACT DUPLICATE OF THE ART DECO TYPE SS RUNICS shown here in the place of the Whermacht eagle usually seen. The hilt was in pretty bad shape. I looked at it and there is NO DOUBT--It was original. Several others saw it too-we all concur-ORIGINAL! NO DOUBT! You just never know.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
quote:
Originally posted by von ryans:
Corrected, should read:Just as a comment, SS runes in a circle are always suspect since this (apparently) is the only SS template to survive. I have seen it on many, many reproductions. I have pages set for Vol. 11 (if I do one)showing these runes on poor fakes. The only real SS etched bayonet I HAD ever seen was in my book, the father to son gift. At the SOS I was delighted to see another righteous SS etch..this one by Eickhorn. This etch was also seen by a number of really good experts,The artillery cannon (Nr. 3221)was on the point end and the SS runes IN A CIRCLE was at the ricasso within the bookend going horzential (as it should). The frosting used for the inner circle was perfect AND there was no distortion or dimppling of any kind with the circle OR runes. It was been my experience that neither Eickhorn or ANY other major bayonet etching company (only five) used the same symbols in their etches. The SS WKC piece in my book is a good example. Since WKC purchased already etched dress bayonet blades from F.W. Holler then Holler Must have used these rather straight SS symbols for their etched examples. So perhaps only Eickhorn used the runes within a circle as THEIR SS template. More good SS examples need to be examined however before a final thought is considered truth. Cool

I still have a question which I don’t think has been completely resolved. I’ve looked at the pictures again and again. And it still looks to me like the grip rivets on the example originally posted are blued or painted black. Is that common for dress bayonets from Höller (or other makers)? FP

No-but they could be tarnished or a bit rusty making them look that way. Photos sometimes distort a bit-just look at your driver's license photo. Roll Eyes

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,903 SS Bayonets
1,762,174 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,147 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 04/19/2024 01:46 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,036
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Dean Perdue, derjager, Stephen, Jonesy, Ric Ferrari, Vern, Don Scowen, Dave, stingray, Aaron Buck, Larry C, Documentalist), 584 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod