Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
SCHUMA Cloth Items fill a kind of mystical niche for me. They are just beautiful & artistic.

My limited understanding of the Schuma Organization, is that they were essentially Non-Germanic Members serving the Sipo/SD in occupied areas (outside of Germany). Primarily in the Baltics and Ukraine. (They filled the manpower void in these areas.) There were German Officers in the ultimate control - but did they wear SCHUMA Cloth? Don't know. The Cloth Items are nothing short of exquisite, with fine machine embroidery & colors. The SCHUMA Motto of "Faithfullness, Bravery & Obedience" is found on the Patches. I got lucky and found 2 sets of Shoulder Boards & 3 Patches. Txs, Dave / dblmed

1-SHUMA-Boards-F-W.jpg (94.18 KB, 834 downloads)

[Always looking for TeNo � Schuma � Technische Noodhulp Items...]
OP Offline
SCHUMA Shoulder Boards .... Reverse

2-SHUMA-Boards-R-W.jpg (90.52 KB, 828 downloads)

OP Offline
The Quality of the SCHUMA Patches is some of the best TR Cloth Items. Here are all 3 together.

3-SHUMA-3-Patches-W.jpg (91.11 KB, 806 downloads)

OP Offline
SCHUMA EM Patch (If incorrect, please correct meSmile Dave / dblmed

SHUMA-EM-Patch-W.jpg (88.24 KB, 803 downloads)

OP Offline
SCHUMA OFFICER Patch (If incorrect, please correct meSmile Dave / dblmed

SHUMA-Off-Patch-W.jpg (85.62 KB, 788 downloads)

OP Offline
SCHUMA EM Patch - I believe I incorrectly labeled the NCO, as EM previously. (If incorrect, please correct meSmile Dave / dblmed

SHUMA-Orange-Patch-W.jpg (93.31 KB, 799 downloads)

OP Offline
I apologize for the 'too large' Images - as I am still fighting the PhotoShop battle. Image Kb size is not a problem, but the L X W Dimensions is a challenge.

(1) What size Images (L X W) do you find is the best for Posting & Viewing?

I'd imagine that SHUMA Uniforms are very Rare - as these locals didn't have anywhere to go ....as the Wehrmacht regrouped from previously held territories! Would be nice to see some SHUMA Uniforms... Txs, Dave / dblmed

G
G
Dave, the orange was for the Gendarmerie branch. I know a Ukrainian man that said he was around where the Shuma were being trained [ Roll Eyes he was probably a member but still afraid to admit it]. He said things were moving so fast that no soon than the insignia was available,distributed,worn units were being dismantled and reorganized as other units.
I had showed him the OSPREY 'Partisan Warfare' book a few years ago. He said the only insig. he saw being worn for a short while were the green piped boards and the black and silver / grey arm patches. He mentioned it didn't matter if silver or gray, you got what they gave you.

I agree,they're beautiful insignia.,sometimes being very hard to collect. For me, a full badged up, original Shuma jacket is way rarer than a SS jacket...

Don't apologize, the photos are fine..Thanks for showing the pieces.....

Dave,

I agree with Gaspare that these are very nice insignia. Schuma guys wore a mixed bag of uniforms and insignia. Probably due to shortages as Gaspare says. Photos often show Schuma wearing no shoulder boards or mixed insignia within the same unit. One thing that I have noticed about Schuma shoulder boards is that they use the wide tongue like Heer boards instead of the narrow tongue like police boards. This would make them difficult to fit onto police tunics that had a narrow loop for the shoulder boards so this may help to explain the lack of boards in wear in photographs. Usually, photographs show them wearing standard SIPO or ORPO uniforms with Schuma insignia to distinguish them.

I think Gaspare is correct that orange and green were supposed to differentiate units in the police color scheme but I think that the grey sleeve insignia predominated toward the end of the war. I think their building-up outstripped the ability to supply them uniformly.

I hope this helps.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Dave, these are indeed very nice boards! Might i ask did you get them from a dealer or did you find them in the woodwork? I only ask because i hardly find any TR police item outside of dealers especially in Texas Wink

OP Offline
Thanks Gaspare, OPRO & Legion for your updates .....

I do enjoy these beautiful Cloth pieces. (I think I even mispelled SCHUMA as SHUMA, so pardon for that.)

I bought the two sets of Boards from the 'Duck' Bill Shea a few years ago & got the 3 patches from other Dealers (? names) along the way, but haven't Posted them previously. I keep an eye out for Schuma cloth .... but they don't seem to come up too very often. So, when you see one you have to move on it - or it's gone! I've seen a smaller 'Cap Patch' which seems to be a smaller version of the Sleeve Patches, but haven't connected on one yet. Txs, Dave / dblmed

R
R
Dave, great insignia from another under appreciated organization. I only have a hat badge and 1 collar tab. thanks for showing them.

MVC-001S.JPG (39.79 KB, 711 downloads)
R
R
Reverse.

MVC-002S.JPG (39.71 KB, 704 downloads)
OP Offline
Raymond .....You have some Really Great Schuma Cloth Items + they are 2 of the examples that I don't have as - yet! (Maybe we need to merge up Collections?)

I've seen the Cap / Hat Eagle Patch - but the Collar Tabs are quite unusual to find. Good Going! I'm hoping that you or Doug will pull out a Schuma Uniform to Post!
Txs, Dave / dblmed

G
G

OP Offline
Gaspare ....C'est Manifique, N'est-ce pas? WOW - the Schuma Full Tunic & Cap that Pablo posted in 2005 is quite magnificent. (Great research in locating the Thread!).

The Schuma Uniform really nicely shows the Boards and Patches in place - with the addition of the DJ/HJ modified cap. Hopefully Pablo will join in and add his additional insight into Schuma? Txs, Dave / dblmed

Dave,

Here is my one and only Schuma tunic that I have had for a long time. It is a standard police field tunic with mouse grey Polizei collar litzen and a Schuma sleeve insignia all machine sewn on. It has no shoulder boards and the shoulder board buttons have been carefully removed. Of course it is impossible to tell when the sleeve insignia was sewn on. The lining is the same style as on Pablo's tunic.

SCHUMA_tunic.JPG (22.47 KB, 672 downloads)

The tunic is standard late police issue and the collar tabs are standard late police litzen.

SCHUMA_collar_tab.JPG (36.68 KB, 656 downloads)

The Schuma sleeve insignia is the "officer" style flatwire type and there does not seem to be the "ghost" of a regular police sleeve eagle. Of course, it is impossible to know when this insignia was sewn on as the tunic is probably unissued or only very lightly worn at best.

George

SCHUMA_sleeve_insig.JPG (36.31 KB, 655 downloads)

OP Offline
ORPO .....What an outstanding Schuma Uniform. Congrats!!! From looking at the 'machine sewn' Schuma Sleeve Patch & the nice condition of the Uniform - I'd guess that the Uniform was kitted out in a large supply depot area - not in the field for sure! That one is a keeper.

Only by chance, I just acquired 2 Schuma Officers Collar Tabs. The Collar tabs are attributed to the Ukrainian Schuma.
This would be for the rank of Brigadefuhrer or Major. These are both for the left collar - so maybe someone has the 2 right Collar TabsSmile. Txs, Dave / dblmed

FRONT of Brigadefuhrer Schuma Tabs......

Schuma_Lt_Collar_Tabs-1.jpg (81.19 KB, 628 downloads)

OP Offline
REVERSE of Brigadefuhrer Schuma Tabs..

Schuma_Lt_Collar_Tabs-2.jpg (55.46 KB, 614 downloads)

OP Offline
Posted for a fellow Schuma Collector, Tom Pearcy

"I have a pair of Orange Piped Police Green Boards with Orange Swastikas.
& the Orange Gendarmerie Schuma Sleeve Patch

The Orange are a tad bit longer then my Green Piped Black Boards,
& the Green Schuma (Police) Sleeve Patch.

Could be for an Overcoat or for larger size tunic?"

(Isn’t the Orange contrasting color just a Fantastic Combination?)
Txs, Dave/dblmed)

FRONT of Tom's Shoulder Tabs & Sleeve Patches

Schuma-Orange-Insignia-1w.jpg (90.22 KB, 583 downloads)

OP Offline
Posted for Tom Pearcy #2

REVERSE of the Above Items

Schuma-Orange-Insignia-2w.jpg (89.68 KB, 581 downloads)

OP Offline
Some SCHUMA BACKGROUND: With the invasion of Russia on June 22ND 1941 the German army quickly occupied large tracts of territory resulting in ever extending rear areas that required policing to maintain order amongst the population and to secure open transportation and communication lines to the front.

Originally the army had established small auxiliary police units for these purposes which were followed by SS action groups.

The territories occupied proved to be too large for these small auxiliary units to police effectively which resulted in recruitment of local anti-Communist personnel which were formed into Schuma, short for Schutzmannschaften, (Protection Troops), units in November 1941.

The Schuma personnel fell under the control of the regional Höhere SS und Polizeiführer, (Higher SS and Police Leader). These Schuma personnel wore a wide variety of uniforms, headgear and insignia including surplus black Allgemeine-SS uniforms, and assorted field-grey and police green items.

In June 1942 distinctive cap and sleeves emblems were introduced for Schuma personnel to distinguish them from Ordnungspolizei, (Order Police), personnel.

Text is Courtesy of: http://www.Germanmilitaria.com

You Advanced guys may be aware of All of this, but the Date of implementation of Schuma 'Cloth' was new info. for me.
Txs, Dave/dblmed

OP Offline
GREEN BORDERED COLLAR TABS

Schuma Collar Tabs (?)

Here is a set of purported to be Schuma Collar Tabs, which I incidentally missed out on getting - on ManionsEek - about 2 years back.

I doubted them at that time - BUT from all that I have read & learned since,the Schuma guys had to scrounge for their Uniforms & Equipment. (Often, it was a mis match of Cloth).

So...... these could have been 'field made' - for Schuma .... using the 2 Cap Schuma Patches and other Collar Tabs, bordered in Police Green. (Theory seems OK.... but.....)

Have Any of you advanced Schuma collectors ever seen these types of Tabs?

Txs, Dave/dblmed

Schuma-Collar-Tabs-GreenW.jpg (83.51 KB, 564 downloads)

Dave,

Nice insignia you posted.

I think you did well to "miss" buying the last set of collar tabs. I believe they are fake fantasy tabs made from fake cap insignia. I suspect these are from the same source as the fantasy Police Panzer collar tabs of the same style with Pz skulls in the center. I saw a set of these sell on Manions for good money but I would not give a thin dime for a set. I have never seen a period photo of anything like these in wear and they are certainly not regulation collar tabs.

OP Offline
Thanks ORPO......

I will defer to your Keen Eyes & Depth of Experience on these types of items. Thanks for the assessment. Dave/dblmed

OP Offline
I got Lucky and found this really ‘Bright RED’ Machine Embroidered SCHUMA Sleeve Emblem.

(Other Schuma Sleeve Emblems seem to be BeVo, so I don't know if this RED is a recognized variant? It is on 'Police Green' Wool)

(This RED is really a brighter shade than a usual Fire Eagle. You could see him coming from a mile away!)

I Also picked up a nice Schutzmannschaften / Schuma ‘Dog Tag’ to accompany it.

FRONT ……..Txs, Dave/dblmed

Schuma-RED_Dog-Tag-F-W.jpg (98.57 KB, 478 downloads)

OP Offline
REVERSE ……..Txs, Dave/dblmed

(I'll make them Smaller next time!!!)

Schuma-RED_Dog-Tag-R-W.jpg (96.25 KB, 471 downloads)

OP Offline
I found this SCHUMA uniform assemblage on a Russian site.

From http://ukr-ww2.onestop.net/schuma.html Dave/dblmed

1-Schuma-Unif-W.jpg (92.06 KB, 457 downloads)

OP Offline
Another GREAT Schuma Uniform from this site....

The man on the FAR Right...

Notice he is wearing a TENO (Technische Nothilfe) Hewer? Strange, but Oh so interesting. ......Dave/dblmed

2-Schuma_w_TeNo_Hewer-67.jpg (53.76 KB, 360 downloads)

OP Offline
Also shown was a Schuma Cap with the BLACK Smaller Schuma patch on it. Dave/dblmed

3-Cap_w_schuma_5.jpg (4.95 KB, 357 downloads)

OP Offline
Some more great Schuma history, for those of us who have forgotten it.

SD, AND POLICE / SCHUMA BATTALIONS
-----------------------------------------------------------------

With the appointment of SS General von dem Bach-Zelewski as Coordinator of Anti-Partizan in the East, a variety of security formations were beginning to emerge.

As early as 1941, these security formations were beginning to be diluted with Baltic and Ukrainian recruits. These units were supervised by the SS Police and SD/SS Security Staff. In Ukraine and the Baltic provinces all these scattered units were formed into an auxiliary police force known as the Schuetzmannschaft Ordungspolizei (Schuma). The units were either divided into Front or Guard Units. Although the SS and Police operated within Army-administered areas, the Army had its own security formations, known as Security Divisions.

When the Germans split up and conquered Poland in 1939. Large areas were incorporated directly into the Reich, while other lands inocrporated into Reichskommissariats of Ostland (Baltic States and Belarus) and Ukaraine. The repressive german policy towards the Poles led to creation of Ukrainian-Galician police force for the Galicia District. Twelve Schuma Battalions were organized: 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212.

With the rize of partizan warfare, the main duties of such Schuma battalions were to seek out and destroy the Soviet Partizans. Each battalion had a staff and four 124 man companies, each with one machine gun platoon and three infantry platoons; totalling 700 man. The battalions varied from Frontline, Guard, Engineer, Construction and Replacement Battalions deployed along the Army Group Rear Areas. The SD also included Schuma forces (Schuetzmannschaft der Sicherheitspolizei). A number of home guard organisations (SB - Sluzhba Bezpeky / Selbstschuetz) were also created.

Ukrainians joined the German-sponsored forces in large numbers, and in late 1942, 70,000 were in the Schuma, becoming one of the largest Schuma forces. About 35,00 served in 71 Schuma Batallions: 51, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 61, 62, 63, 101, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 129, 130, 131, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 143 to 169. These battalions included some Cossack, cavalry and artillery units. Home Guards were disignated as the Ukrainian National Self-Defence Force (UNS) and had up to 180,000 man. When in 1944 the Red Army overrun Ukraine, these units were transfered to Ukrainian Self-Defence Legion and others had joined the 14th and 30th divisions of Waffen SS.
From http://ukr-ww2.onestop.net/schuma.html Dave/dblmed

OP Offline
SCHUMA UNIFORMS - 1941 & 1942 & 1943+

It is very interesting to see the MARKED Schuma Uniform Transition from:

1941 - 'Red Army' Uniform Like in 1941,
1942 - to a 'Mixed Czarist Partisan' Look in 1942,
1943 + to the 'Germanic' familiar SCHUMA Uniform of 1943+

Courtesy the Russian Book by Partizany & Karateli (in Russian)
Txs, Dave/dblmed

Schuma-Unif-41,42,43-W.jpg (91.36 KB, 346 downloads)

Dave,

These are copies of the plates in the Osprey series of books. Do not take them too literally as they are simply artist drawings. I wonder if the Russian authors paid a royalty for use of these pictures and text or simply reprinted them?

OP Offline
ORPO ...Thanks, I knew that I'd seen the Color Plate with the numbered 'Uniform' Items somewhere before, but couldn't place it. (Then it shows up with Cyrillic writing? Go figure...)

Yes, Schuma 'Uniforms' seem to be a mixed bag of whatever cloth 'was available' or 'was leftover' for the use of the Eastern units. I've read that even some stripped Allgemeine SS Uniforms we shipped to the Baltics / Schuma units. I guess the only real 'solid' evidence is period Photos. Txs, Dave/dblmed

Dave,

The black tunics and greatcoats were surplus Allg.-SS uniforms that were altered by putting the green collar and cuffs on them. Most of the green uniforms were standard police issue with Schuma insignia. There was also a healthy mix of captured and adapted uniforms for Eastern Volunteers.

This stuff is not for the faint of heart collector.

Wink

V
V
Here are a couple of pictures from a magazine called Militaria volume 1 # 1 in 1969

m1.jpg (31.14 KB, 314 downloads)
V
V

g3.jpg (60.76 KB, 314 downloads)
V
V

g4.jpg (41.25 KB, 311 downloads)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,470 SS Bayonets
1,760,276 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,740 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Tanker, AndyRose, Documentalist, Seppi, Nietzsche, benten, Vern), 463 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod