Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I put together a small grouping that I think the 'Nam guys would like. Back in the day..I walked the walk. Now I move a little slower, but the bullets are just as fast. That ain't no 'late model' Colt either.

Mark Wink

DSCN0723_(Medium).JPG (80.57 KB, 255 downloads)
Mark,

Cool Stuff and I like it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Mikee.

It all started when my wife found the picture of me in that red beret and asked me where that beret was. I walked over to my 'Nam case and handed it to her. She could not believe it. 20 years married to me and she had no idea I owned or wore anything like that. I guess we don't talk much about the wars we ourselves were in. So, I gathered my stuff up and shot the picture. The small NVA/VC flag came out of a deceased combatants backpack after his failed TET attack on our compound. Better him than me at the time.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Is that your helmet? Could you show a close up of it?

Thanks and regards,

Frederico

Mark, were you a collector when you were in Vietnam?

Regards
Russell

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Frederico, that is not my original helmet. I had to leave mine in country and came home in khaki USAF uniform. They stripped us of all but ONE set of jungle fatigues plus any souvenier's we had (that they could find in our duffle bags).

Russell, I got out with two NVA field made flags and some NVA collar tabs and insignia taken from a very brutal enemy. They did things to our men that would make beheading look merciful. A bad war for all involved. Some guys collected very weird things. I doubt if they got them out of the country though.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for showing. Very interesting items from what is in my opinion the most intruiging war and period. Last night I saw Full metal jacket again: excellent film. Was Vietnam war really like that?

Regards,

Frederico

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Frederico,

In most respects is was like that. It was surreal in that we listened to Motown and the Rolling Stones music back at the main camps and then jumped on helicopters and went into hell for a while and came out alive.

Whenever we went head to head with the enemy we kicked butt. They were ferocious soldiers though and in retrospect I think they fought like any other people who felt invaded. After all is said and done...we had to pay the province chief's to fire our howitzers and our ammo (which we gave them) to support our missions. The South Vietnamese government was about as corrupt as you could ever get. You could buy anything if you had enough money. The NVA fought hard and the ARVN for the most part took off when the going got tough. There were notable exceptions though.
The South Korean (ROK) troops were greatly feared by the NVA as they took prisoners that were never seen again. The only thing the ROK troops feared was their officers.

Mark

I think time has come to start a Vietnam militaria forum. Would love to see personal photos and items of the veterans.

S
S
Not a time or place I particularly want to revisit.
Seiler (Yank in UK) Frown

U
U
Hey Mark, Very cool grouping and interesting commentary. A tiny little excerpt of your life that you revealed.I hope you and other Vets kicked back on your Day [Veterns Day] last week. Thanks for sharing. Best, Johnny

G
G
We all think Nazi stuff is copied to death,,, you gotta try collecting NVA or VN war items! Everything is faked. Best way is to get it is straight from a vet you trust!

Mark you survived. Thank you for your service.. You always hear in the VN movies -'all we gotta do is make it out of here and its all gravy'.. Well, is wasn't. Some of our guys never really came back even though they did physically...

Mark when you get a chance maybe you could post some shots of the 2 flags you brought back.. I've been after one for years.. 99.9% of whats out there in auctions are bull****.. I'd love to see the real deal.........

S
S
The only thing missing is a 33 bottle. Big Grin

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,894 SS Bayonets
1,763,183 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,881 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by wotan - 04/27/2024 10:12 AM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,075
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Documentalist, BretVanSant, Stephen, Billy G., ed773, Vern), 606 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod