Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I found these in a box at an estate sale and am trying to figure out what I have. The pin I posted earlier was correctly ID'd by Mike as an Imperial War Veteran's Association Badge. I found one like it on the Internet but it had a pendant on it where it is missing from mine. However, I have Identified another object as a German Campaign medal for the China/Boxer expedition, 1900. A difference is the campaign medal was made of bronze and the one I have is either aluminum or silver...it is not magnetic nor is the ring that is on it magnetic. There was also a red or orange and white ribbon with them but I don't find any association for it. I am wondering if this Boxer pendant is what should be on the Veteran's badge? Why is the pendant not bronze? Any help on this pendant and the ribbon is appreciated. Thanks. (I just noticed there is a section for questions about Imperial German items and I posted this in the Third Reich forum...sorry. Can someone move it for me?

Fleamarket,

The China-service medal was first awarded by Kaiser Wilhelm on May 10th, 1901, to those who qualified, for their participation in the Boxer-War. Like many other awards it came in two classes, the so-called steel version that you have here was for non-combatants and the bronze class for those who saw action. You may then ask why your 'steel-version' isn't magnetic and I can't answer that production question? Someone that's a bit more well-versed in the precise history and composition of this award will have to step in and answer that for you. I do know for certain that the Kaiser was directly involved in the design and production of this medal and there were additional bars, or Spangen, that could be awarded to the bronze version for specific battles and engagements.

These medals were suspended from multi-colored
ribbons in the traditional national colors, of black, white and red, with a central, yellow band. The ribbon that you've pictured with the medal isn't proper for this piece and I believe those colors are for Brandenburg, red/white? It looks to be an original, too, which is very good, but not with this award.

I'm not quite sure that additional engagement
bars were awarded with the 'steel' non-combatant class? That would be interesting to hear about ...

I trust that this'll get your research going and hope you'll come back to share any additional info that you might find, with us?

Thanks and good luck!

Bill

china_b_v.jpg (12.34 KB, 35 downloads)
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks Bill for the good information. If I do find more about it I will try to remember to post the info here. Could you, and would you, offer any suggestion on the value of the three pieces I posted? I do not collect German and I buy to sell and these will move on sooner or later. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,116 SS Bayonets
1,763,118 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,863 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/26/2024 10:05 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 08:30 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,073
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dean Perdue, Vik, C. Wetzel-20609, Mikee, stingray, Dave, Jonesy, Vern, Eric26), 591 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod