Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
As far as who is an "old collector" and who is a "new collector" I don't know where I fall. Honestly I don't think it matters much, some of the old collectors don't have a clue where some new collectors immediately have the "eye" for authenticity. Let's face it, in the 1970s and 80s you didn't have to worry about the 2000s fakes.

For me, I have been collecting since I was about 10 years old, the 1980s. I got burned severely and learned my lessons. Interesting to note that it was this "Older Collector" generation that ripped off this 10 year-old. I remember in the mid 90s, I asked myself why do I continue to collect. My conclusion is the same as most here regardless of our criticism, we love it. Although it's this passion that keeps it so frustrating.

My apologies
I understand Ken's anger, maybe especially with me, because I had "problems" with a helmet that he was selling. I responded to his e-stand ad asking for additional opinions. On another occasion he was showing his SS helmet that I thought was also not original. I said it wasn't original and still believe it isn't. In hindsight I think it was my mistake to publicly make a comment about a helmet that he was selling and criticize a helmet that he wasn't asking opinions on. I'm on record saying I apologize for making unsolicited comments about your helmets.

Respect for old collectors
I completely disagree with Ken's request for a blanket respect of "old collectors". For some I the greatest respect for and for others they are far worse that any criticism that a "new collector" could receive. It can be argued that it was this "older" generation that first profited from collecting, turning it from a "hobby" to a "business". Luckily many preserved it, dealers and collectors alike.

Information Sharing
I have helped collectors new and old in attempt to preserve collecting not profit from it. I have e-mailed numerous people close-up photos of my helmets and others in an attempt to help others. The accusation that I'm "running a commentary on Hicks book to increase the value of the items" and "It's all about advertising" this is complete nonsense. I would question the intent of a person who could ever come up with such a remark. In addition you'll notice that I only comment about helmets, although I have collected it all.

The future of the forum
Going forward my stance will be simple, if someone ask for an opinion, I will give it. My opinion is based on my knowledge today, regardless if I'm an expert, novice or beginner collector. Call me what you want.
I disagree about the future of this and other forums. These forums have literally helped thousands of people identify fakes, fakers and assist in getting money back. For those new collectors there is no hidden agenda with me or my friends that I have met through collecting. For me it's all about preserving collecting.
I wish this forum was around in the 1980s when that 10 year-old kid was buying items with his grass-cutting money...

In conclusion.
I want to go on record to apologize to the people I offended and I want to say that I DO make mistakes. I have never had any hidden agendas and I have never intentionally mislead anyone. I do not promote helmets that I don't believe in or defend someone I think is wrong. This has nothing to do with "advertising" or "promotion of a book" and for me I care more about people than 70 year-old steel. So with that said, I say farewell and good luck,,

Ken I have sent you an e-mail through your profile.

Ty,
Am I reading correctly or are you also leaving?

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
Well that's number 2 to leave the Helmet forum.I believe this has to do with a post about the "experts" on the helmet forum.This post was done by a member who posted an e-mail he received and didn't name the person who sent it.This e-mail went on to talk about the "experts"of which two have left today.Alot of knowledge gone.Name less e-mails should NOT BE PUBLISHED especially when they are knocking other people.Again I am not a helmet collector but did find it very interesting.WE are doing our best to lose more and more members."another nail in the GDC coffin"

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

I agree 100%, Ed.

I apologize on behalf of GDC for that thread. One of the Moderators blew it out (NOT me) but I did read it.

Dave

J
J
I have read the post that cause this grief to the site. I joined in July 2005. I found Darryl a educated person on collecting SS helmets. I know he helped me out alot. When I was nothing but a stranger to him that shared his interest in SS helmets. I know of reputable dealer that have him examine SS helmets for them. He is a asset to the collecting community . Where now a days the collecting world is a business and full of fakes. It is sad to see that some collectors get upset. He is there to help you not to discourage you. Collectors that share thier knowledge are rare find. I hope you continue to educate collectors .

Joe Semen

OP Offline
Just for clarfication, I'm not "leaving", but I will change the way I comment on helmets on the forum.

I encourage everyone to use the search function to satisfy their own opinion on the "five or six most vocal members (Ty, Shu, Daryl, etc.)" and their critic.

E
E
Ty...After reading your above post...im of the opinion your a class act and if you make it to the SOS would love to buy you a beer. Rick

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
I agree 100%.

I have exchanged emails with Ty and encouraged him to stay and give guidance to the Helmet Forum.

Dave

Well said Ty. I try to judge people buy their words & deeds, not by their length of service, after all, just because someone has been doing something a long while, doesn't mean they are always right. We have seen that with the likes of Angolia....... Great books, but not every fact given is correct.

Now that you mention it, everytime that I have been ripped off over the years, it was by an "old collector", it hadn't occurred to me until just now......

Cheers
Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
W
W
Ya know it really sucks when someone who devotes all the time and effort to the helmet collecting community gets ridiculed like this. We depend on the anaysis by people like Ty, and I would never buy a helmet that wasn't approved by Darryl or Ty. I can always ACT like I am an expert when it comes to anything, but the truth is that the real professionals know best. Let's keep this forum what it was intended to be.

The "Crown" of this forum is encircled with Gems, several of them. Every time one drops off, the crown looses that much more luster.

I've held off on saying anything, either to Darryls post or this one. I missed the infamous thread that began this downward spin, but as a result, it will cause a guarded response to any future inquiry from those I do not personally know.

I've made friends here on this forum - REAL ones! But, as friends do - they will keep in touch regardless of the forums. I understand completely the reason for the departure and certainly don't blame them.

The likes of those who meddle in fakery will Reap what they Sew...... Wink

Always Looking for Quality US Airborne items. tlckkibler@msn.com
*sigh*

SSTK Oberbayern
shu Offline
I agree with you, Ty. I respect oldtimers and learned a lot from them. But, at the same time, I don't respect them just because they've been in this hobby for a long time. It's the content of knowledge and the character of the person that count. So, it's impossible to trust all oldtimers, even though I have many oldtimer friends outside the forum. Countless occasions they helped me out of trouble and still do. I appreciated their knowledge and kindness. Without their help, I couldn't have collected what I wanted. So, in this sense, collecting is a social activity. People help each other daily and why can't we do this on the forums? We just keep on doing what we believe to be right.Smile

Shu

E
E
I obtained my first helmet in 1949 and, therefore, I assume I could claim the title of "oldtimer". However, just because of longevity, it would be absolutely ridiculous for me to even think that I posess anywhere near the expertise that is consistantly demonstrated on the forum. Age is supposed to be accompanied by maturity ~ with some of the comments that have appeared lately it appears that that is not necessarily the case. I appreciate and sincerely thank all of the "experts' for their outstanding contributions and willingness to share their knowledge.

Ed Wahl

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,055 SS Bayonets
1,762,241 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,207 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,043
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (ollar, Mikee, gerdhagedorn, polop, Evgeniy, Jonesy, The_Collector, stingray, bushido, Dean Perdue), 959 guests, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod