Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Posting these pictures for richard.

1_full_ss_bayonet_outofscabbard.JPG (19.15 KB, 716 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

98.JPG (10.71 KB, 703 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

olingen.JPG (41.09 KB, 668 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

otherstamps_frog.JPG (37.86 KB, 651 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

scabbard.JPG (17.88 KB, 656 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

ss.JPG (13.87 KB, 639 downloads)

BCN Founder
OP Offline

sshandle.JPG (11.21 KB, 615 downloads)

BCN Founder
R
R
John,

Thanks for putting the pictures up for me. They got a little intermixed but we can sort them out. One group of pictures is from my collection showing an SS 98/05 Frog numbered to the scabbard. I can not see the number on the frog but perhaps John can put up another view of the frog showing the stamped number at the bottom.

As for the Bayonet with the SS Runes on the grip, is it real? This bayonet resides in another collection. The portapee looks good to me. What do you think about the whole rig?

Richard Kuchta

Richard

You have a A.G. Schmidt & Shon Trade Mark, the pictures are to dark for what ever is on the grip. When ever I see something on a grip, red flags go up. The bayonet is on the rough side. I don't know anything about portapees.

TKissinger

TKissinger
R
R
TKissinger,

The pictures came out ok on my home computer but they are very dark on my work computer.
One thing that can't be seen are the rivets in the grips. They look coroded due to lack of finish on them. Were the rivets plated by this maker or are these indications that the grips were removed?
I must say that the runes in the grips are very well done. Definitely some good workmanship here. However, are the runes original or is this a post war fantasy bayonet?

Richard Kuchta

Richard, I’m afraid that I have to agree with Terry. From what little I can actually see clearly of the Sigrunen they look to be non-factory additions. If it was an approved pattern I think we would see a lot more of them. And factory installed Sigrunen would have been a lot cheaper and easier to do than making and hand fitting a custom hand made set of Runes - all of which argues against it being a period modification. FP

R
R
FROGPRINCE,

Your observations are always appreciated. I like Terry am always apprehensive when I see items attached to the grips, especially SS Bayonets.

I have never seen just runes attached to the grips before. Has anyone seen this style of SS Runes on a bayonet grip before?

Richard Kuchta

R
R
FROGPRINCE,

Did you receive these pictures at home? I sent them to you but I do not know if you had received them.

I wanted to discuss the 98/05 SS numbered frog but the pictures on the forum are too dark and the required picture is not showing the bottom of the frog where the number is stamped.

Richard Kuchta

Richard,

I did not comment because I really cannot see much detail. However, I agree with Terry and FP that the runes do not look "of the period" to me either. This is a seldom seen maker and it is too bad if someone screwed up a nice bayonet to add these runes.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Richard, I just took a look and have the messages but am on my way out. I’ll try to get to them this evening. Regards. FP

I agree with George, it's a real shame to see a Carl Schmidt & Sohn AG messed up. It is a hard to find maker. Confused

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
Richard requested that I put together and post for him some images of a 98/05 bayonet scabbard and frog that he has with matching numbers. The pictures were a little dark and I have lightened them as much as I was able to for discussion purposes - with him making any comments that he wants to share.

When I put the images together my immediate observation was that the frog appeared to be hand stamped using what looks like individual die stamps. And with the scabbard (from what I can see) it appears to me like it was numbered using what I am assuming was a rotary hand engraver although I can’t see the bottom of the characters well enough to be 100% sure. FP

RK-scab-mkg.jpg (21.66 KB, 478 downloads)
The frog.

RK-frog-combo.jpg (51.95 KB, 471 downloads)
S
S
Reference the dress bayo - I agree with those who believe that a very nice bayo has likely been screwed up by the addition of runes. The troddel looks OK from what I can see but is irrelevant in terms of evidence of the legitimacy of the rest of the package.

Reference the 98/05. I do not like the style of the characters used and would be very concerned that the numbers etched in the scabbard appear fresh. Any etching or stamping which has left metal exposed for 60 years should appear browned or otherwise discolored from such exposure. Overall, I would be very concerned with the subject 98/05 scabbard, frog and therefore whatever bayo is in it.

Scott B

R
R
SCOTT,

The numbers that appear on the scabbard are engraved as are all numbers that are on 98/05 SS marked bayonets.

This set of numbers are still bright as are some of the others that I have. However, others have toned and others have been re-blued after numbering.

As per your comment on the style of characters used, what do you base your opinion on? How many other 98/05 SS BAYONETS with numbered scabbards have you observed?

Richard Kuchta

R
R
FROGPRINCE,

In regard to the numbers on the SS 98/05 Bayonet Scabbard they are definitely done on a pantagraph and or some other type of engraving machine. The letters are much to precise as to be done by hand engraving. However, the engraving cutter could have been much sharper which in turn would have reduced some of the chatter on the character geometry.
In the past I have referred to the SS marking their 98/05 bayonets in similar fashion to the Navy. Both are engraved and marked on the crossguard and scabbard.

As for numbers on the Frog, this is the only 98/05 SS frog marked as such that I have ever seen. This frog is also stamped with the SS property mark that I have requested not to be shown.

Richard Kuchta

S
S
Richard,

I stand by my comments.

I would not be encouraged by the fact that engraved numbers you have observed in this series all look the same. Certainly numbered SS daggers show variation in characters, placement and application. SS marked rifles also show variation in number characters and application. Why shouldnt the subject SS combat bayonets? Aside from those observations, the primary issue is the fresh appearance of metal condition exposed by engraving after 60 years. Any examination of legitimate unit marked bayos, regardless of branch, be it engraved or stamped characters, which expose metal through blue, must show evidence of 60 years exposure. The only exceptions being if the item came from a time capsule or if metal was exposed more recently. I am not aware of any other explanations - are you?

As you know Richard, my collecting focus for the past 20+ years is SS marked rifles. I am quite conversant on legitimate and fake deathsheads, other SS markings and SS arms production. Of course there is much more to a legitimate SS marked rifle than SS markings. In any case, my collection has been vetted by the best and could never be confused with Jensen garbage. In previous postings you have indicated that the same deathsheads and SS marks used on rifles were also used on SS bayos. I think we can agree that if such markings were ever period applied, this is a logical conclusion. However, I am concerned about some of the deathsheads you have posted in a previous thread.

I remain very skeptical about SS combat bayos and those I have seen recently at shows and posted online in forums. The secret millionaire collection not withstanding, I am particularly concerned about the volume that have suddenly surfaced over the past few years.

Scott

Richard, I don’t know your reasoning behind the statement that the engraving was “definitely” done on a pantograph or some other kind of engraving machine. Or why that would be an issue. But since its been brought up I am going to post some pictures to try and explain my thinking from what I see in the images. Pantographs, engraving machines (or whatever) if nothing else should produce fairly consistent engraving which is more or less repeatable from one character to another. That IMO does not seem to be the case here with the characters not evenly applied having variations in depth, angles, and not being linear.

The first image shows the first two numbers with the upper portions in the photograph seemingly much deeper than the lower portion. The “7” to the right by contrast appears to be much shallower and fairly consistent in depth. If all three had the same depth at the top you possibly could argue that the fixture was tilted. However, that does not appear to be the case here as demonstrated by the “7”.

RS-Depth.jpg (10.79 KB, 379 downloads)
The second image shows that the tops and bottoms are not even, with the bottom of the “4’ stopping short. And the “7” dropping down below the other two. Why is that?

RS-Top-Bottom.jpg (12.27 KB, 367 downloads)
The third image is an attempt to show first the vertical axis of the numbers with especially the “7” at a slant from the “9” and “4” which are slightly divergent from each other. To the right the “9” and “4” exhibit similar angles but slightly different paths with the engraving at an angle downward to complete the character. And the red arrow showing at the top of the “4” where the cutter ran a little wild creating a scallop while negotiating the turn.

What am I missing that proves that a pantograph (or equivalent) was used to engrave the scabbard? And why does that make a difference??? Most Respectfully, FP

RS-side-by-sidea.jpg (22.2 KB, 365 downloads)
S
S
Frogprice,

Excellent observations!

R
R
FROGPRINCE,

The engraving of the numbers is still much straighter than that which could be achieved by engraving offhand. Depending on how number templates are located on the pattern table determines straightness of the characters when the engraving is done. I have many other similar bayonets that one must study and evaluate so as to clearly understand the quality of the engraving of the numbers on the scabbard and the markings on the crossguards before making judgements.

As for some brightness being visible on the numbers you must also look at the brightness of the blade. The blade of the bayonet is in super condition hardly any tarnish. When I removed the frog from this bayonet about 3 years ago it was extremely tight.I do not recall any grease or oil residue being present; however,there was the typical dirt and leather particles.

FROGPRINCE MY SS BAYONET COLLECTION WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR REVIEW AT ANY TIME THAT YOU CAN MAKE IT TO PENNSYLVANIA.

Richard K

R
R
Hi SCOTT,

Thanks for your comments.

I have also been collecting SS Rifles and Bayonets for over 35 years and can understand your feelings about bad rifles and bayonets being out there in the market. Some time ago I gave up collecting SS rifles and pursued collecting SS Bayonets full time because they are more rare and scarace than the rifles. In addition the bayonets are less screwed around with than are the SS rifles. I am sure that you have seen quite a few bad SS items in your collecting career. Such dealers as M.H. have been known to have sold bad pieces. I myself have bought some from him which he later bought back.
As for SS bayonets, other than those pieces that you have seen at the shows. How many complete matched rigs have you actually seen? My bayonets have come from vetrans, fellow collectors, BCN Members, EBAY,and some from the mystery millionaire.

Richard K

Richard, Please forgive me, but with all due respect I believe that you may be underestimating what a craftsman can do using his hands and not a machine. I think that even a cursory examination of hand engraved guns, swords, and a number of other items stretching back literally centuries will show that by using their hands plus a few simple tools German (and other) craftsman could engrave scrolls, animals, coats of arms, numbers etc. etc. far surpassing the skill level demonstrated with this bayonet. Straight lines, curves, complex shapes - whatever was required.

While it’s a subjective evaluation on my part: The engraved numbers on the scabbard posted, as compared to your average engraved property marking on a Third Reich German Kriegsmarine bayonet, is IMO relatively awkward/amateurish by comparison. I am not saying that the KM bayonets are perfect. But the engraved inscriptions are more complex and from my perspective better executed.

It also I think might be of interest to know the quality of the work that machine assisted engraving can produce. In 1934 a Mr. Fred Knapp of the Gorton Machine (Tool) Corporation successfully engraved the Lord’s Prayer inside a circle on a small metal plate roughly equivalent to the head of a pin. The circle being .005” (0.12700 millimeter) in diameter. Admittedly that was an unusual one time effort. But it does illustrate what can be achieved with a machine under the control of a skilled operator.

I do appreciate your very generous offer to share your collection with me. I have not been there in a long time, and if I do get back to Pennsylvania I’m certain that a look at a 35 year old plus specialized collection like yours would be the highlight of the trip. Best Regards, FP

R
R
FROGPRINCE,

My offer to view my collection is always open to you. I appreciate your comments, knowledge, and professionalism. If you like gorgets I also have some of the best.

Richard K

S
S
Richard,

Please forgive the delay in my response but I attended 3 different shows this weekend.

I respectfully disagree with your comment that SS marked “bayonets are less screwed with than are SS rifles.” I have not seen an SS bayo yet that favorably compares to a legitimate SS marked rifle. The fact of the matter is, that anyone with access to a pantagraph machine, a good custom tool and die maker (for SS marking dies and number dies), bluing tanks and standard Imperial or Wiemar reissued 84/98IIIs, 98/05s, frogs and period Polish and Czech bayos and frogs can make SS marked bayos and frogs all day long. The only sophistication would come from properly ageing the finished product. Not enough people have seen legitimate SS deathshead markings to positively ID good from bad. Effectively executing this same exercise with SS G/K98s requires much more knowledge and sophistication. You just cant slap a deathshead and engrave or stamp a couple numbers on any 98 or 98 components to make it SS. As previously stated, legitimate SS marked rifles have many more data points, which must verify to positively determine originality.

It has taken me almost 25 years to build a collection of 40+ matching and correct SS G/K98 variations. I have also collected data on several hundred more, which I have personally examined during this time. Its interesting to note that the mismatch rate of a major component (bolt,action,stock) on legitimate SS marked rifles is about 50%. I am very uncomfortable with the quantity of “matching” SS marked bayos, which have been showing up. Aside from not liking many of the SS specific markings, my general observation is that they are appearing matching at a disproportionate rate to standard, matching, unit marked (of any other branch) 84/98III, 98/05 or SS marked rifles. My point is, that while all the others show up mismatched at a fairly consistent high rate - SS bayos don’t seem to. For whatever reason and against the odds, SS bayos seem to be showing up with matching control numbers and markings. Am I the only person who recognizes this?

I am also concerned that people like Joe Pankowski, Wittman and Johnson had never seen SS bayonets until recently. I believe this speaks to the fact that SS bayonets are a relatively new phenomena which is rather difficult to explain. People make the arguments that previously such dealers/collectors could not be bothered with combat bayonets or may have "missed the SS markings." I have followed up with all three and these arguments have proven to be inaccurate. Believe me, they all knew what SS bayo troddels were years ago, recognized that engraved SS dress bayos existed, were desirable/valuable and all admitted to me that they would have jumped all over any SS combat bayo they would have encountered or heard about. SS combat bayos and their SS specific markings are not exactly subtle. The "missed the SS markings" argument is absurd.

Last summer I personally examined and did data sheets on four SS marked rifles, which were obtained from the secret millionaire collection. All examples were fraudulent and in fact rather crude attempts of fraudulent SS rifles. A single example of fraud would discredit the complete fantasy story. Four personally examined specimens plus details and pictures of two others from the secret millionaire collection all of which are fraudulent seal the fate of this story and this source. It is evidence that fraud items from a single source have traveled to more than one buyer. It should be no surprise that fakes have spread. It should also be no surprise that the value of SS marked bayos drives other entrepeneurs to manufacture specimens with varying degrees of sophistication. Most importantly Richard, if items from this fraudulent source have been utilized as a baseline for originality the data and results are now quite flawed.

Finally, MH showed me several items of yours years ago. The only ones I currently own are my old SSR which you owned for a short time and a very basic bnz43-sszza4. All else was initially or shortly therafter rejected. Although a good friend, MH is one of several knowledgable collectors I know and trust. He has certainly made mistakes as we all have. However, collectively the sum of my group is as good as it gets.

I am very open to the potential existance of SS marked bayos. It would enhance my own collection and interest. However, based on the picures and hands on evidence I cant support their case. Its hard to believe that I am the only one unwilling to drink the Koolaide on this subject.

Scott B

R
R
SCOTT,

I am very concerned about the great number of SS rifles that have been showing up over the years. Everything you said about the tools and craft to fake SS bayonets goes the same for rifles. The only thing different is that there is very little information out there on SS marked bayonets. You make broad statements about SS bayonets, however you have no expertise on the subject matter, you state that you don't feel good about them. Your opinions are based upon feelings and not facts. Take some pointers from Frogprince and be more objective. You make statements such as that it is easy to fake SS bayonets. Please share some data with us. What markings does an LAH 98/05 Bayonet have on it???? What markings does an LAH 84/98 have on it???? What markings are there on the SS VZ-24 Bayonet Grips???? How is an SS Police bayonet marked????
Scott, if the Army, Airforce, Navy, and Police marked their rifles and bayonets are you saying that the SS did not???????
You have one reblued, Lazy S Deathead Bayonet without original scabbard and frog in your collection that I passed on. You need a much larger population of SS bayonets to study and research before you make the statements that you do. I guess if it is not in your collection and you haven't seen it then the item doesn't exist?????

Richard Kuchta

S
S
Richard,

In a previous discussion dated November 2003 in a thread titled 'Do You Own a SS Combat Bayo?' you stated the following regarding SS proofmarks:

FROGPRINCE,

"I have been using the term proofmark to identify the many types of Death Heads and accompanying geometry that is found with them. The same proofmarks are used on both rifles and bayonets. This is where the area starts getting gray: In the collectors circle, it is believed that each different style of Death Head has a significance as to date, rework house / KI, unit, etc.. The numbers and letters and or Runes that accompany the Death Heads also have a significance. To date the only person that I know that has been able to decipher the marks to some extent is Scott Buggin, a vetran collector and a vast source of knowledge on SS Rifles."

Two points:

1. You comment that "The same proofmarks are used on both rifles and bayonets." I agree with this comment. It is exactly for this reason that I have found all of the SS marked bayos I have examined on line or in person to be highly suspicious. Not only their geometry, as you say, but also detail, markings, and method of application is inconsistent with what is found on legit SS marked rifles.

2. Although you have mis-spelled my last name the person you identify in this post as "a vetran collector and a vast source of knowledge on SS Rifles" is me.

Your words not mine. How do you reconcile these previous comments with your current position on markings and my expertise? Is this the cost of disagreement on the subject? You cant have it both ways my friend.

The "secret millionaire" story and source has also been exposed and completely discredited. Perhaps you need to tell the story about this collection/source. It would also be worthwhile to show pictures of the two unaltered Gew98s from this source with original Imp. configuration including lange rear site, Imp. proofs, Regimental markings and no sign of rework, which have had deathsheads and commercial proofing subsequently added for no legitimate reasons. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of Imperial/Wiemar and Nazi period reworks will quickly identify these inconsistencies. These same people will tell you that it is absurd to believe that an SS bayo isnt much easier and less complex to fake than an SS G/K98 variation. Pictures of early SS/T and other SS personnel with unaltered Gew98 rifles, and bayos - 84/98, 98/05s, Polish and Czech is not evidence that these items had to be SS marked.

It is every collectors duty to be a good steward to the hobby. This often involves debate and disagreement about originality. That is what I am doing. There is no evidence in SS rifles that specific unit markings were applied in a configuration consistent with standard regimental markings or Police markings. In any event, Wehrmacht unit marking of weapons was stopped by order well before the outbreak of war. Still, I believe that it is possible that the SS marked bayos. However, I have not seen evidence in the many I have looked at in recent years support they do.

Scott B

Inasmuch as I heard my name mentioned I do have a couple of observations: In the early years what eventually became the Waffen SS engaged in a “scavenger hunt” (for lack of a better way to express it) to supply themselves with arms acquiring by them from multiple different sources because the German Army did not want to supply them. I remember reading an account where there was at least one discussion of wanting to raid a German Army artillery park when some field artillery guns were desired. So who knows what else went on if that was considered a viable option??

As with most German arms there can be some minor legitimate exceptions here and there. But speaking generally more or less by the time the combat arm of the SS became the Waffen SS as a branch of the Wehrmacht its arms came from the same sources as rest of the Wehrmacht.

In other words they had the Waffenamts that were applied under the supervision of the German Army’s Heereswaffenamt and would be indistinguishable from arms procured for the German Army, Navy or Air Force. Timing is critical here and there is overlap, but fairly early on the German Navy quit marking its rifles, bayonets, and frogs. The Luftwaffe was not consistent with marking its rifles, never marked its bayonets, and quit marking its frogs. And German Police 84/98 combat bayonets did not have Waffenamts being procured independently of the Army - and like the Luftwaffe they also early on quit having made their own unique frogs for the 84/98. The main points here being that early SS bayonets like Police bayonets will not or should not have Waffenamts, and that later Waffen SS bayonets will look like regular German Army bayonets.

From the photographic record once the LAH was reconfigured early pictures show them carrying the 84/98 as do pictures of the SS-VT. And other somewhat later pictures show SS troops in training and in the field with the original bright hilted/muzzle ring equipped versions of the VZ24 bayonet, using Czech machine guns, and there is one often published photograph of an SS soldier carrying a captured Polish wz.29 bayonet. All of the aforementioned being either very or relatively early photographs. As always, if anyone has period photographs showing the Waffen SS (or its predecessors) carrying something else the sharing of that information would be very much appreciated. FP

Gentlemen,

I stayed out of the earlier lengthy discussion on SS bayonets and I have stayed out of this one until now. I do want to state that I very much appreciate the civil tone of this discussion and I want to commend everyone involved because debate in this manner is the way we all learn.

There are many good points and counter points in this discussion and I would like to add my humble voice to simply say that in over 40 years I have never held in my hand a bayonet that I thought had legitimate SS "proof" markings. Never say never, but I am afraid I am on the side of the skeptics. When I wrote my "Seitengewehr" book in 1999, I debated with myself how to discuss markings. I knew that with good photos and a logical discussion, decent fakes would surely follow. I chose to go ahead and photograph and discuss markings as I believe that knowledge is power.

Most SS marked bayonets can be determined as fake by studying them closely and understanding what the markings are supposed to mean. The ubiquitous WaffenAmt (WaA) is actually an inspection and acceptance marking (Wehrmachtabnahmenstempel) and signifies the bayonet meets military inspection requirements. There is no need to further inspect the bayonet so dual markings of this type are not proper 99% of the time, IMHO. There is no good evidence that I have seen that the SS had a program that inspected/accepted bayonets, so even commercial bayonets with SS "proofs" (in the manner of military WaA markings) are not proper 99% of the time, IMHO.

Reworks and property markings are another matter. Reworks do show a variety of odd markings such as the SU and Ku markings. Reworks should be reworked however to even qualify for such a marking. I think I will leave out any specific details as many people watch this board and I am not going to make fakes any better than they are currently.

Property markings are another issue that is now much better understood than in the past and that is where I believe SS markings are possible. This is however, a slippery slope and is not for the timid. I think each such bayonet has to be examined and must stand or fall on its merits and red flags.

Just my thoughts on this interesting subject.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
R
R
SCOTT,

I do have a Polish bayonet that has SS markings as well as a reworked scabbard to go with it. I told you that SS Bayonets are more rare than SS rifles and depending upon the type and condition bring more money than a SS Rifle.

I do have a great collection of pictures, thanks to Mr. Noss and other GDC members, showing SS men carrying many types different types of bayonets. Of course you can not see any markings, but on the other hand you can not see any markings on the rifles carried by SS men, yet we do know that alot of the rifles were marked.

You seem to be hung up on this secret millionaire who had or still has a larger SS Rifle collection than you. There are other collectors who have larger collections than you do. Get over it.

At one time you wanted to give me a chapter in your book to cover SS Bayonets. I told you that I was not interested because I plan on doing something myself after the research is completed. You need to research your own subject matter more before you do a book.

Please bring something to the Forum Table that is informative and interesting to all of the members. This is the Bayonet Forum.

Richard Kuchta

R
R
GEORGE,

Thank you for the response. I respect your opinions and knowledge on the subject matter of bayonets and SS Bayonets. I would appreciate your help at some time in the future to analyse and critique the SS bayonets that I have obtained over the last 35 years.

I would like to do a publication similiar to what you have done devoted to only SS Bayonets. I have read your book through numerous times as to where it is considerably worn.

As you stated, faked SS bayonets can be readily identified. I have held back considerable data so as not to give the makers of reproductions a heads up on something that is very important to me. I can only tell you that when you see a large population of these bayonets things start to fall into place. However, there are still alot of areas that need answers such as when the cut off period was from SS/TV & SS/VT to Waffen SS. You can see a distinctive change in the markings. The SS VZ-24s are the best indicators of time because they have been dated.

Thanks George,

Richard Kuchta

S
S
Richard,

It appears from responses that others believe that this is an interesting and informative thread. I do not believe that my comments have been off point.

You failed to address my questions relative to the two points you had previously made in the 'Do You Own a SS Combat Bayo?'discussion. The first point is, if in fact "The same proofmarks are used on both rifles and bayonets" then specific knowledge of SS markings on rifles equates to knowledge of SS markings on bayos. Correct? The second point is, "To date the only person that I know that has been able to decipher the marks to some extent is Scott Buggin, a vetran collector and a vast source of knowledge on SS Rifles." You are speaking of me correct? These points are rather central to you argument. Has your position changed and if so why?

Reference offering you a chapter on SS bayos. Anyone who knows me or has followed any discussions I have had in on-line forums or BCN over the years will tell you that I have always been suspicious of SS bayos. There is no evidence to the contrary. Having said this, I would never offer you or anyone else to do a chapter on SS bayos in my book on SS rifles. Unless I am sold on their legitimacy I would never risk degrading my reference and name.

The fact that pictures exist showing the SS carrying G/K98s and various bayos is not proof that the weapon/s in the picture were marked. Legitimate SS marked G/K98s do exist and this is not in question. However, the existance of SS marked G/K98 is not evidence that SS marked bayos do exist. There are lots of pieces of SS used equipment large and small which I believe were not marked.

To suggest that I am jealous of the 'secret millionaire' SS collection is equally absurd for many of the same reasons. I am not a jealous person and no one could produce evidence to the contrary. As with most things in life, there has always been plenty of things and opportunity to go around. Like most collectors, having the money to buy all that I want has been more the issue. Secondly, as with my distrust of SS marked bayos, I have always distrusted the "secret millionaire collection" story. Once I had hands on of some specimens and was able to determine they were fraudulent, I knew I was correct about this distrust. It should go without saying that it would be illogical to envy a collection that is fraudulent. My only inclination has been to expose the fraud.

In terms of value - SS G/K98 vs. SS marked bayo. Very subjective. My goal has never been to drive the value of SS rifles up. The bottom line is authenticity. If guaranteed authentic, I dont know anyone who wouldnt pay more for an SS marked rifle than an SS marked bayo.

I have spent over 20 years focused on research of SS marked G/K98s. I am constantly pursuing this research task but agree it is incomplete. However, as with all such subjects I dont believe that absolute completion is possible. I am moving forward with my book regardless. It wont be perfect but it will represent all that I have learned to date.

I suggest you pay very close attention to ORPO's comments. They are spot on. As of a couple years ago, others like Joe Pankowski, who have made their life collecting/dealing blades, will say the same thing. Not a smoking gun but still very troubling.

In conclusion Richard, I am concerned that our disagreement on this subject has become personal on your side. I believe in debate as a source of flushing out the truth. I would never compromise my reputation by calling what I believe to be a good item bad, or a bad item good. Reputation like authenticity is everything.

Scott B

S
S
Richard,

You previously stated "Such dealers as M.H. have been known to have sold bad pieces. I myself have bought some from him which he later bought back." Are you saying that MH knowingly sold bad items? Is this what you mean to say? Be more specific - which items?

I am very concerned that you have cast such aspersions on MH. Professionally, I have known MH since the late '70s and consider the quality of his goods, knowledge and character beyond reproach. I have NEVER heard any negative comments from others on such issues. Your primary source should be so lucky.

Please dont misunderstand - less than 5% of the total guns in my collection, (including 4 of 40+ SS marked rifles) have come directly from MH. I know these items to be legitimate so such comments have no impact on my collection/investment.

Personally, I consider MH to be a very good friend. I suggest that any further discussion on MH be conducted directly with me or MH and not on a forum. You have my email address. Please feel free to contact me for MHs.

O
O
I just bought a RP marked bayonet, with a serial slightly higher than that recorded in th ebooks and a finsih that looks decidely late war compared to one other example i ahve examined. Since the RP became an SS unit late in the war, woudl it be safe to assume that the bayonet was carried over into SS use, and could therefore be assumed to be SS?

All of the SS, marked blades i have (3 now) are all fakes of one form or another, and were bought as such. I should love to see what a real one looks like, so am looking forward to the book that has been mentioned - i jsut hope it will include examples of many of the fakes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,529 SS Bayonets
1,760,293 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,769 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
14 members (C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern, The_Collector, Documentalist, Honestmike, Baz69, Nietzsche, Stephen, JonathanC), 381 guests, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod