Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few months ago I had a couple of emails asking me to look up any rank lists or other sources for "H Schieren". I checked the 1939,1944-45 Heer Ranglisten, the two volumes on the careers of the Generalstab officers, the DKiG holders and othe award lists, and the online KIA/MIA database. No Heer officers named H Schieren listed. So I informed the two friends, reminding them that all these sources contain only a fraction of the total officers who served, and that the Bundesarchiv must be asked to check before any conclusions can be drawn.

I am told by another friend and collector this side of the Atlantic that apparently a professional miliaria researcher also attempted this and found nothing, and therefore this inscription could never be identified.

Finally the piece arrived at Lakeside, and thats when I had a chance to grab it. Interestingly, the name has been found in the Kriegs - reserve officer files at BA-MA Freiburg, as is often the case with names not listed in the published sources. These library card -like files are also NOT available at NARA.

In addition to the quality early fittings, i love the even blueish patina throughout this piece

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gustavo:

That is really great. Paul sure does find some interesting items, doesn't he?

I have two researched items I bought from Paul, a numbered full Rohm SS and an SS honor ring.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
S
S
Gustavo,
Another great looking early slant with now "known" provenance due to your research. Congrats! Smile

-serge-

Odd that he's not on the volksbund site - he died 24.4.44 - home front casualty? "natural" causes?

Weird - I had an SS Officer's ring who died due to illness in Germany at the start of the war and he's listed on the volksbund site, despite the fact he was non-combatant casualty.

Not putting any at all doubt on your research Gustavo - just looks like this guy fell thru the cracks s far as getting listed on a couple data bases Big Grin

"There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness" Jack Black
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You raise a very interesting issue re. the Volksbund database.

In all probability, Hauptmann Hubert Schieren died in a field hospital from wounds received while defending Nowel, Ukraine from advancing Soviet divisions, sometime between April and June 1944. The data from the card, and what we know of where the regiment was at the time indicate this. Why is he not listed in the Volksbund db?

First, they still have 800K names to add, which will be done eventually. He could be among them. Even when they do, the final product will not be comprehensive by thousands of names.

Another issue, the database search tool doesnt always work properly. There are times when you enter a name and get zero matches. Then you start searching a similar name, click next a few times, and eventually you get to the name you wanted which is in fact there. Not a perfect system but really a great tool.

Smashing dagger Big Grin

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Gustavo - you are right, it is a great tool - often run into incorrect ranks etc as well on volksbund.

If I didn't mention it - excellent dagger Cool Paul has some good s--t - for lack of a better word Big Grin

"There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness" Jack Black
Just for information: On PM by Gustavo his first post has been slightly modified conforming to his request.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,404 SS Bayonets
1,763,786 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,456 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:07 PM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 09:30 PM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/03/2024 08:38 PM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 07:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,094
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gaspare, Dean Perdue, Dave, Evgeniy), 644 guests, and 87 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod