Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115041 06/08/2007 05:50 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I have a question for the experts.If there are certain pieces that one is interested in acquiring;is it better to sell pieces of an existing collection.Or simply best to lay the cash out. Some of the pieces I'm interested in are rather pricey, the engraved blades are beautiful.Is there such a thing as trading for acquisitions; how is this type of business conducted without being deceived.Established dealers ? I've only been in this for a couple of years and am interested in acquiring some of the finer pieces.Advise appreciated.Regards

#115042 06/08/2007 07:54 AM
L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Lionman521:
I have a question for the experts.If there are certain pieces that one is interested in acquiring;is it better to sell pieces of an existing collection.Or simply best to lay the cash out. Some of the pieces I'm interested in are rather pricey, the engraved blades are beautiful.Is there such a thing as trading for acquisitions; how is this type of business conducted without being deceived.Established dealers ? I've only been in this for a couple of years and am interested in acquiring some of the finer pieces.Advise appreciated.Regards

Lionman521, I am going to preface this with the fact that I am NOT an "Expert", but I too have asked myself more often than not, the same questions, "it better to sell pieces of an existing collection.Or simply best to lay the cash out." In my considered opinion, if you HAVE the money and the pieces that you plan to trade are not garbage, KEEP those potential trades! Why? Simply this. I personally started collecting TR stuff in 1955. At one time, I had TWENTY German helmets to include: a Paratrooper, (3) SS, (5) dble decal Luftwaffe, (4) dble decal Army, Police, Fire Police and Luftschutz models. In 11/1973, I paid $500 for the 20! That's $25/helmet! I sold them all for God only knows what, to finance the purchase of Five Walther P-38 pistols with holsters. Their cost I do not have a clue. I know the helmets because I just looked at the pics and I wrote on the backs.

Again, I had numerous daggers, somewhere around 20 or so. They too were traded off.

At one time, I had accumulated FORTY Samurai to include Tanto, Wakazashi and Katana. I haven't a clue as to what I paid. I know I had 2-3 Navy, a few Naval Assault Forces, etc, etc. A fire in my ex-wifes house destroyed any photos of those pieces BUT I had sold/traded them previously. WHY? To pay for a trip back to NJ,and for other "needed" items, etc.

I have many diverse interests and today have a 1/3 scale Mod 1883 .22cal Gatling Gun, a full size suit of more modern made, Spanish Armor, hundreds of books if not more, diecast models, about 20-25 TR daggers and swords, etc, etc, etc.

What WOULD I like to have? What I have now AND those items that I sold and/or traded years ago! Hell, I actually HAD the money at most times OR could have paid "on time". I personally knew all my sellers and we trusted each other implicitly.

So, what do I suggest? One who has "been there, done that, got the sweatshirt"? KEEP what you have IF you have the money! BUY the beauties that you want BUT make damn sure they are ORIGINAL pieces or forget it!

Again, I am NO "expert" and I damn well KNOW that there are numerous REAL experts here. So, IMHO, KEEP your stuff and SPEND the money IF you can on ORIGINALS ONLY! I would give my left, well, you know, to have all my stuff again!
Regards and Best in whatever you decide,

Lloyd

#115043 06/08/2007 02:29 PM
Lionman,

I agee with what Lloyd has said. Keep what you have if you like it. Trade it off if you are upgrading a specific item from say, a Heer dagger in good condition to one in excellent condition. I always regret the ones I traded off, but you can't keep everything so it is a balancing act.

Also, buy the object and not the dealer or the hype. Make certain you buy original items, particularly etched blades and high end pieces.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
#115044 06/10/2007 10:40 AM
J
J
My suggestion is keep what you have until you are either unhappy with is, no longer interested or absolutely have no other way of getting something else that you would rather have. I have built a collection mainly on trading due to the fact that when I accumulated most of my collection I was in High School or college and had almost no money to pay for particular items and had to trade to get what I wanted. I traded off lots of really nice things that I would love to get back, if only I could find them (not to mention the fact that they would be LOTs more expensive not. good luck, Joe S

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,513 SS Bayonets
1,764,009 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,630 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/05/2024 06:26 AM
Some Motorcycles:
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/05/2024 02:27 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by derjager - 05/05/2024 12:16 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/04/2024 11:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,117
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Don Scowen, jean, Documentalist, Stephen, Baz69, Mikee, Evgeniy), 643 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod