Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#112728 03/10/2007 05:01 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellows!

Me second hobby besides collecting daggers is the pleasure to handle and enjoy the smoking of great handmade premium cigars.
I’m not a cigarette smoker in any way but always wait for a suitable moment to enjoy a good handmade cigar alone or with some good friends that share the same interest.

The correct way and the only way to enjoy a good cigar with all the flavours and taste is to not inhale the smoke, only taste the smoke for a while and slowly blow it out; in the same time you will solve all the problems in this world. Big Grin
When drinking a smooth matching cognac or whiskey or just a cup of coffee together with your favourite cigar, the experience will be even greater. Wink

Of course I store my cigars in a humidor with optimum level of humidity, otherwise the cigars would soon be useless and the fantastic taste and all overtones will disappear very quickly.

Are there any other GDC members out there with the same pleasant interest?

Salute,

Sam,

cigar3.JPG (87.45 KB, 461 downloads)

"Honesty is the best policy"
#112729 03/10/2007 05:02 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline

cigar1.JPG (88.41 KB, 456 downloads)

#112730 03/10/2007 07:45 PM
S
S
I hope that is a GOOD Single Malt Scotch Whisky
(No "e").Nothing better...
Seiler (Yank in UK) Big Grin

#112731 03/10/2007 08:38 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
quote:
Originally posted by Seiler:
I hope that is a GOOD Single Malt Scotch Whisky
(No "e").Nothing better...
Seiler (Yank in UK) Big Grin

Good choice seiler, what about a 12 or 18 years old Macallan and you’re in heaven. Razz
Sam,

#112732 03/11/2007 06:20 AM
Sam, I, as well as you, enjoy a good Cuban cigar, almost daily. I prefer the Cohiba Lanceros above all others.
But with me, a short glass of freezer cold Havana Club 7 year, or a similiar glass of el Dorado (Guyana) 21 year old rum goes
down as smooth as the finrst of congacs, savored as slow as the smooth smoke.

I am not a cigarette smoker either, nor do I inhale, so I know your pleasure.

Now that I spend the majority of my time here in the Caribbean, these fine cigars and rum are readily available. I think I'll have one right now.

And, Sam,

Salute!

....tj

"Never type faster than your abilaty to comrehend werds"
#112733 03/11/2007 06:53 AM
quote:
Now that I spend the majority of my time here in the Caribbean, these fine cigars and rum are readily available.

Damn ... I'm moving to Caribbean ... Cool
The BIG cigars is too much for me, since I'm a smoker I smoke often the Cafe Creme with filter or Panter (with glass of Jack Daniels "on the rock"). Smile

#112734 03/11/2007 11:41 AM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
TJ!
Living in Caribbean and smoking great cigars, Seems like you already are in Heaven my friend! Wink

I’m happy to hear that you know how to smoke real cigars; it’s easier for us non-cigarette smokers.
Cigarette smokers usually have the inhale reflex and cannot put that away when smoking a great cigar, inhaling cigar smoke kill most of the taste and overtones and gives IMO no pleasure at all.

I agree that Cohiba Lanceros is a fantastic cigar and also my favourite from the Cohiba boys in Cuba, for the moment I have a bunch of the bigger Cohiba Esplendidos and it’s not bad either, just a little longer pleasure before finish the smoke.

Other favourites are the Dominican made Macanudo Maduro – Hyde Park a dark brown almost black creamy cigar, and Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage with a 12 year old Honduran broadleaf wrapper and a 7 year old filler and binder, fantastic cigars with fantastic taste.

BTW did you guys see the nice crossgraining on the cigars above? Big Grin Big Grin

Salute,

Sam,

#112735 03/11/2007 01:42 PM
Hello Sam !
Looks like we have more than TR daggers in common. I have enjoyed premium handmade cigars for eight years now. I am not a cigarett smoker either, but "enjoy" a couple of cigars a week.
I have two quite large humidors to preserve my babies Wink
Have tried most of the cuban makers but mostly
smoke dominicans.
My favorite for the time beeing is the
Davidoff Diademas 100th Anniersary and also
the CAO Gold 10th Anniversary is a great one.
A cigar enjoyed with a 16year old Lagavulin
or a nice Port is unbetable !!
Hakan Big Grin

1.jpg (86.89 KB, 370 downloads)
#112736 03/11/2007 01:49 PM
pic.2

2.jpg (85.42 KB, 364 downloads)
#112737 03/11/2007 03:07 PM
Fantastic, Hakan.

I have a few Esplendidos in my 'box', as well. A few more favorites for me are Montecristo Especials (#2, smaller, like the Lancero, but a tad shorter), the regular MC #2, a 'torpedo, if you will, and Romeo y Julietta Churchill, my favorite 'biggie'.

I bought a few boxes of Dominican Cohibas just before the 'ban', and I am not real impressed.

However, my 'wife to be' is from Santo Domingo, am I am headed there Wednesday for a few days with her family, where I will surely give the Dominicans a second chance.
Her father tells me there are none better, and, who am I to disagree?

At least now I know a few names to toss out and sound 'smart'.

Amazing what you can learn here.

If there are anr true rum drinkers, I suggest you try the el Dorado 21 year. It is the nectar of the Caribe Gods.

....tj

#112738 03/11/2007 03:27 PM
quote:
BTW did you guys see the nice crossgraining on the cigars above?

Damn funny. I can almost see the ground Castro presentation.....

I forgot to mention another great, which are the H Upmanns. If you haven't already, try one. They are smooth.

Walther, if you like the little ones, Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, or Montecristo Clubs are very good, the size of a cigarette, and not very expensive.

....tj

#112739 03/11/2007 04:50 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
quote:
Originally posted by Hakan81:
Hello Sam !
Looks like we have more than TR daggers in common. I have enjoyed premium handmade cigars for eight years now. I am not a cigarett smoker either, but "enjoy" a couple of cigars a week.
I have two quite large humidors to preserve my babies Wink
Have tried most of the cuban makers but mostly
smoke dominicans.
My favorite for the time beeing is the
Davidoff Diademas 100th Anniersary and also
the CAO Gold 10th Anniversary is a great one.
A cigar enjoyed with a 16year old Lagavulin
or a nice Port is unbetable !!
Hakan Big Grin

Hakan my friend, I can’t believe it, a dagger and cigar fellow at the same time and from the small country up in the north? Amazing, Eek

You seem to have good taste my friend when looking at your nice cigars, as you can see I smoke a mix of Cubans and Dominicans or Honduras or whatever. The important thing is that the Cigar gives you a pleasant moment and the time to think.
I use to lock my wife and kids in the laundry until my pleasant moment is over….just kidding Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks for sharing Hakan, talk to you soon,

Sam,

#112740 03/11/2007 05:03 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
quote:
Originally posted by Ju88:
quote:
BTW did you guys see the nice crossgraining on the cigars above?

Damn funny. I can almost see the ground Castro presentation.....

I forgot to mention another great, which are the H Upmanns. If you haven't already, try one. They are smooth.

Walther, if you like the little ones, Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, or Montecristo Clubs are very good, the size of a cigarette, and not very expensive.

H Upman istn´t bad at all, I like some…

Some other absolutely favourites are:

Hoyo de Monterrey – Double Corona (Cuba) (one of the best smoking experience I ever had)
Partagas Lusitania (Cuba) also a beautiful and very tasty cigar.

Avo Intermezzo (Dominican) A smooth and very creamy taste (This cigar is great for the beginner as well as for the more experienced smoker.)

Walter, TJ gave you some great tips regarding small cigarillos, another tip is AVO Puritos series, small but very good handmade cigars.

Sam,

#112741 03/11/2007 05:27 PM
Sam, I am definitely gonig to give the Dominicanos another try, and knowing what to try is a plus, thanks.

Clubs and Puritos are great for when you do not have a lot of time.
A lot of the puritos are machine rolled, even from companies like Romeo y Julieta, and don't quite seem the same as the smaller clubs, at least IMO, as they burn way faster, and just don't seem the same, but I am sure that does not apply to all of the puritos.

I don't know the name of the Upmanns that I have, as I split a box with a friend some time ago, and opted for the 13th cigar over the box. They are the size of the Esplendidos, tho, but have a different name.

Nice refreshing conversation here, with no critique at all.

Salute,

....tj

#112742 03/11/2007 06:06 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
quote:
Originally posted by Ju88:
Sam, I am definitely gonig to give the Dominicanos another try, and knowing what to try is a plus, thanks.

Clubs and Puritos are great for when you do not have a lot of time.
A lot of the puritos are machine rolled, even from companies like Romeo y Julieta, and don't quite seem the same as the smaller clubs, at least IMO, as they burn way faster, and just don't seem the same, but I am sure that does not apply to all of the puritos.

I don't know the name of the Upmanns that I have, as I split a box with a friend some time ago, and opted for the 13th cigar over the box. They are the size of the Esplendidos, tho, but have a different name.

Nice refreshing conversation here, with no critique at all.

Salute,

TJ!

It seems that the Dominicans make all over better quality cigars than the Cubans these days. I have been told it’s because of the rising demand of the Cubans which means faster production for the exports unfortunately makes uneven quality.

But when you get one of the really perfect Cubans, man, there is nothing better.
Most Cubans are stronger than Dominicans and contains more nicotine because of the Cuban soil so Dominicans is definitely a better choice for the beginner to avoid the dizzy head.

You’re right about clubs & Puritos, It’s great when you don’t have 2 ours left for a double corona, but they have to be handmade.

And TJ,

Salute, Wink

Sam,

#112743 03/11/2007 07:22 PM
Your right Nakida about the uneven quality of the cuban cigars nowdays, for some years the dominicans are gaining on them with some leading
makers as Zino, Avo, Davidoff etc.
But when they are great they are awsome !!
My best cigar memory ever was when we smoked vintage 1984 Davidoff Chateau Margeaut´s on a party with some of my best friends.
When it comes to cigarillos the puritos are great but the smallest handmade Davidoff Exquisitos are fabuolus !!
TJ, regarding dominican cohibas I agree, they are not even made in the same planet as the cubans Wink

Finaly I will end this post with Fidel Castros
great comment in an interwiew:
If it was good news I celebrated with a cigar,
if it was bad news they where compensated by one !! Big Grin Big Grin
Hakan

#112744 03/11/2007 07:32 PM
S
S
Hey Nakida,
Forget the cigars stick with the Malts...better for you!!
McAllans OK.Try Glenfarclas 100,or Glenlivet 25.
Sip it gently with/thru a piece of 70% min Black chocolate.Sheer heaven.Blow your socks off.And the Speyside Malts are the best!! Big Grin Big Grin
Seiler (Yank in UK)

#112745 03/11/2007 11:12 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
Hakan!

I haven’t smoked Davidoff Exquisitos but I will, thanks for the tip, Smile

I agree with Fidel’s philosophy that is always right to smoke a cigar, no matter reason,
But I believe the old man stopped smoking years ago, also from an interview in some cigar paper.

Some others peoples Philosophy,

Since the doctors have forbidden me to smoke cigars, I refuse to visit doctors.
Winston Churchill

If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go.
Mark Twain

Seiler!

I holding on to my cigars no matter what, but thanks for the tips regarding the drinking part, I’m not an expert on Whiskey so I’m grateful for good advices.

Sam,

#112746 03/12/2007 12:10 AM
Hey Guys,
I enjoy a daily smoke and was hooked on the Dominican "Red Dot" Cohiba. I spend a decent amout of time down in the Dominican Republic and prefer the D.R. grown tobbaco over the Cuban.

Have any of you tried some of the stuff coming out of Nicarauga lately? There are a few great rollers there. I had the great fortune to visit the Perdomo in facility last summer. You sould all try one and see how you like them. Nick and Billy Perdomo live in Miami but run a great factory. The Perdomo facility is a short drive north of the Costa Rican border on the Pacific side. I have the contact info in anyone would like the free tourSmile

ERIC

GD.com Gold Badge #57 Silver Badge #325
#112747 03/12/2007 02:16 AM
Eric, where in DR do you spend your time?

Wednesday will only be my second trip there, but, with my fiancee'sfamily in Santo Domingo, I will be making many more.

I am currently in the process of relocating to St. Maarten/Sint Marten.

....tj

#112748 03/12/2007 05:25 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric Hall:
Hey Guys,

Have any of you tried some of the stuff coming out of Nicarauga lately? There are a few great rollers there. I had the great fortune to visit the Perdomo in facility last summer. You sould all try one and see how you like them. Nick and Billy Perdomo live in Miami but run a great factory.

Yo Eric!

I haven’t had the opportunity to smoke some good Nicaraguan cigars but it would be very interesting to try some of the Perdomo you recommend.
I will look for them next time I make an order if possible.

Thanks for the tip,

Salute,

Sam,

#112749 03/12/2007 05:40 PM
Im not a cigaret smoker eather, but I sure do enjoy a good cigar once in a while, especially along with my good friend Glenfiddich.
Cant say that happens too often eather, and it has been a while, but I sure appreciate the moments.

Not really an expert though... You guys will have to show me some more quality stuff, that would be fun.
Are any of you guys from Sweden going to the show in Malmö next tuesday, by the way?

(Always looking for named/personalized/"altered" HJ knifes/bayos and Brannik/czech youth knifes)
#112750 03/12/2007 08:04 PM
Hello Eric !

Haven´t tried the Perdomos yet.
One of the best Nicaraugans I have tried is the
Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon, fantastic cigar,
no wonder they where rated 90 in Cigar Aficionado.
The CAO Golds are also one of my favorites, a little more lighter and cremy cigar.
Must be hard spending all that time in the Dominicans Wink Smile Smile

HJ-collector !

Im not going to Malmö next week, dont even knew their was a show !
Which one is it ?

Best, Hakan

#112751 03/12/2007 08:35 PM
(Sorry about the OT)

Hakan
Malmö vapenmässa. Next tuesday, as I said. Probably not worth going to, but if I dont, Im sure I will miss out on something good. I guess there are some antique stores in Malmö, if I should get too bored...

(Always looking for named/personalized/"altered" HJ knifes/bayos and Brannik/czech youth knifes)
#112752 03/12/2007 10:14 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
HJ-collector,

Welcome to the cigar corner, once you get in, you never get out.. Big Grin

I didn’t know about the malmoe show either but cannot make it anyway.
What about Stockholm militaria show April 15, never been there, any opinion if it’s worth going or not? Confused

Sam,

#112753 03/13/2007 12:16 AM
There are quite a few C.A. 90 or better cigars coming from Nicaragua and Honduras these days.

Hakan,, CAO is a great one Big Grin, Drew Estate and Rocky Patel are another pair of quality Central American makers. Smile

ERIC

#112754 03/13/2007 12:25 AM
Ju88,
I have a little spot in the Higuey - Punta Cana area. Big Grin

Santo Domingo is a beautifull city with plenty of new-world history and great cigars. Have a great trip, and enjoy yourself. You ever tried the stuff the locals sell called "Mamajuana" ? Big Grin

ERIC

#112755 03/13/2007 04:13 AM
I was in Santo Domingo early in February, but I only had one afternoon and evening.
This time, I have 2 nights and almost 3 days. I have to behave, as I'll be chaperoned(sp) by my future brother and sister in laws...

No Mama er me....After 8 months in St. Maarten, I learned not to buy anything from a local that you either eat, smoke, or drink, unless, of course, you have plenty of time.....Wink

....tj

#112756 03/15/2007 12:17 AM
I actually plan to go to Cuba pretty soon, maybe next summer.
What cigars should I buy?

Thanks, Nakida.
I have never been to the Stockholm show, guess this will be my first year there, though. I have no idea about whats to find there...

#112757 03/15/2007 05:26 AM
D
D
I admit I know nothing about cigars as I don't smoke them. But to add a little fuel to this interesting topic to keep it alive how about a list of well known individuals who also enjoy a good cigar. I can think of Winston C., Arnold Swartzenegger, Al Capone, Fidel Castro, George Burns, Monica Lewenski, who else?

Ein kleiner warmer stapel des altenVonvetter.
#112758 03/23/2007 03:16 PM
D
D
Personally, I love McAnudo Portofinos
Anyone, know of a collector who'd be interested in a box of unopened WWII German cigars with
NAZI tax stamp intact and contents intact? Cool

#112759 05/02/2007 01:16 AM
Seems like a lot of money going up in smoke to me...to each is own. Roll Eyes

#112760 05/02/2007 10:12 AM
M
M
Do you get a better quality cancer from these expensive cigars? Mike

#112761 05/02/2007 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Geez Mike, I just realized you said 'cancer' and initially thought it was 'quality'! Understanding that here was my initial response..

NO, do a quick we search for "Key West Cigar Company" and try some of their Churchill's. One of them and a small glass of Dow Port and you are in heaven. Last time I got them, a box of 25 was about $100.00. WAY better than the hard to trust Cuban stuff, in my personal experience and I lived in South Florida up until 4 years ago.

Everybody's got to die of something, it's only a matter of what it is...I only smoke about one every two or three months tho, if that these days.

Mark Cool Big Grin

#112762 05/02/2007 11:57 PM
P
P
I have read somewhere that if you smoke one cigar a week, that you'll never get any prostate cancer.
Too me, that's a great selling pitch, so I do smoke one cigar a week. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

#112763 05/03/2007 02:42 AM
PAT

To be extra protected you should smoke two or three per week...we're not getting any younger....!!

#112764 05/08/2007 08:57 PM
About 2 a week for me, plus possibly a small 'Club' after dinner on most days.

....tj

#112765 05/09/2007 12:16 PM
E
E
I love the Cohiba's but have that common draw problem! I have always loved the Fuente Fuente Opus-X , I have had a quite a stock of these for several years, they are pretty strong. for a more frequent smoke I go to an Ashton Cabinet or VSG.

#112766 05/11/2007 01:20 AM
Eric, I finally found out what Mamajuana is, and let me tell you something! Name says it all, consumed in the right company!

I thought you were kidding and reffering to dope or something.

But, my friend, Brugal is the downfall of many a good Dominicano....

Salute!

....tj

#112767 09/04/2007 07:31 PM
Nakida Offline OP
OP Offline
Mr Postman delivered some sweet candy this morning.
Great cigars indeed…. Wink

Carlos Torano – 1916 Cameroon (Torpedo)
Rocky Patel – Vintage 1990 (Robusto)

Sam,

goodies3.jpg (74.84 KB, 194 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,489 SS Bayonets
1,760,281 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,758 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (ANTIK-1933, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), The_Collector, Documentalist, Jonesy, Jamesol2, Seppi, Vern, Paul), 489 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod