Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110010 07/12/2008 01:27 PM
Baz69 Offline OP
OP Offline
As far as I know this type is first mentioned in the Eickhorn Kundendienst, have any examples shown up with an earlier mark that is prior to their stamped 35-41 mark, we do see the standard Eickhorn DJ piece with their earlier double oval mark. With the DJ only officially coming into existance in the Autumn(Fall)of 1934 any piece marked before 1935 must be of the earliest vintage, would we expect to see some variences within those earlier pieces when compering them to the more standard pieces from 1935 onwards.
I know that Houston did have an early deluxe piece at a show a couple years back with No1 stamped on the tang along with HG, can you remember Houston what Eickhorn mark it had on the blade, did you notice any differences with that piece and have you noticed any variences between early and late pieces on the 1711's. I know thats probably not the easiest of questions but one of these was called into question a few months ago about the sizes of the fittings, did Eickhorn hand make the fittings to fit the stag grip or were the grips milled to fit the fittings. Personally I think I have seen different size ferrels and perhaps pommels but I'm not 100% on that. I've also noticed slight differences within the clamshell especially around the border.

Cheers

Gary

I have never seen a period TM other than the stamped 35-41. There are some slight differences in these daggers. The early ones will have ges. gesch stamped under the clamshell and some will have C. E. raised on the tang. The early ones will also have a riveted spring in the scabbard while late ones will have the spring just placed in the scabbard with a slight "lip" bent to hold it-- fit between the top of the leather and the top fitting inside the scabbard.
Hilt fittings can be silver plated aluminum alloy or or sometimes a combination of nickel alloy and aluminum alloy. I don't think I have ever seen one with all nickel fittings although I certainly have not taken all I have seen apart-- and you would have to do that to know for sure.
Hilt pommels and ferrels were made in at least three sizes to fit the different shapes of stag grips. Sometimes the pommels will be stamped 1-2 or 3 in addition to the assembly number which may indicate size. In at least one case the pommel seemed to be custom made to fit to fit an unusual rather triangular top. I sold this one to Pat a few years ago.
The one marked # 1 and HG had the 35-41 stamped TM and also had the early characteristics mentioned above. Bob Long has that one.
I also have noticed slight differences in the grip emblems-all are the large size but some are a bit larger than others. Also some differences in the felt buffer pads. Most are an olive color but some are greener. I am certain the olive ones are period but am not sure about the greener ones. Stag grips used are in a VERY wide range of sizes and colors ranging from almost off white to red to shades of brown. Grips can be quite smooth and straight or very rough and curved. Some also are quite a bit longer than others. It is possible one could pick the grip and the dagger than was built around it.
On a very rare occasion you may find one with a custom ordered clamshell with a different scene other than the hen. I have seen less than five of these. OR-a factory etched presentation. I have seen three-one in damascus.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
Baz69 Offline OP
OP Offline
Houston
Many thanks for a great answer, certainly anybody wishing to purchase a 1711 would have all the information he needed right here in your post.
The last one I found had ges gesch under the clamshell and I put that down to an early characteristic. I'm glad it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me regarding the different size fittings, I can confidently go back to my friend and put his mind at rest regarding this issue.
Your point about the lengths of the grips is a good one as the tang would have to be longer, it seems to me then that a grip was almost certainly picked out first and the hirschf�nger built around it.
I find it a little strange that an example with the post 1941 mark has yet to be found there certainly are some short deluxe Eickhorn forestry hirschf�ngers found with this mark,who knows what may turn up in the future though!!!.

Thanks

Gary

I might add that there also are different size fittings-grips-even scabbard fittings that can be found on the short deluxe Alcoso DJ.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,694 SS Bayonets
1,764,239 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,924 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 04:22 PM
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
Latest New Posts
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Tanker - 05/07/2024 08:49 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
Flare guns or pistols! Lets see them!!!!!
by BretVanSant - 05/07/2024 06:24 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/07/2024 03:21 PM
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/07/2024 03:17 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,673
Posts329,147
Members7,527
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
11 members (BretVanSant, Jonesy, den70, Luftbud, Documentalist, seany, Gaspare, Dave, Skyline Drive, The_Collector, atis), 539 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod