Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101334 07/21/2007 02:19 AM
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Not sure where to really post this. Heres as good as any. For you Hunting [DJ] collectors..

First, the 1940 TIME cover...

1101400401_400.jpg (56.05 KB, 679 downloads)
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I spent some time with the owner of the piece a couple of days ago. Postwar the piece had the emeralds and sapphires had been taken out and sold. The piece was very close to going in the gold scrape pile! The new and present owner spent a fortune replacing the gems. The work was done by a famous professional jeweler firm..

I really didn't have time to do a proper setup for photos but hopefully you guys will enjoy the couple I took..

DSCN9860.JPG (94.45 KB, 678 downloads)
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Its a stunning piece...

Remember, this is a small piece,,the details are just stunning!!..
The owner would like to someday sell it. I had asked him a price he had in mind..He doesn't know!
He asked me,,20k? 40? More,,Less??
,it really is a fine quality,beautiful piece. For me some things can't be priced anyway..

DSCN9856.JPG (95.35 KB, 667 downloads)
Unreal Gaspare ..Did he tell you in depth how he ended up with it ?

Online Content
Very nice indeed, I imagine the other badges he's wearing in the photo would be worth seeing as well..... I wonder where they ended up.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Cheers
Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
To know that this turned up in my backyard gives me a "Royal Excedrin Headache"!

S
S
Fantastic! Eek
-wagner-

A
A
Unfortunately many pieces like this were probably broken up for the jewel and metal value. I assume most of you remember the fool that did just that with the jeweled dagger that Goring surrendered.
Jim

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mike, he's a golden age collector. With many fantastic pieces and stories to go with them! Many of his pieces have appeared in war booty books and magazines...

Just think how small this piece is,,,then look at the detail in the antelopes head!! A truly amazing piece worthy of the big man to wear....

A
A
Er G:
That's a depiction of a European stag I believe. A hunter you are not!! Big Grin Big Grin Wink
Jim

S
S
Just makes me want to light up a good cigar... Big Grin
-wagner-

Online Content
A piece that us collectors of the Deutsche Jägerschaft can only dream of finding. Do we know how it came to be brought back to the States, can we trace it back at all.

Cheers

Gary

Very interesting pieces. I saw these or some like them at the MAX several years ago. The gold membership badge was there too if I remember right. I didn't know if they were original. They were for sale. In the above photo it looks like the bar stones are red but it may have been colored improperly?? This one also is unusual in that the stag skull is not depicted in the design as in the DJ standard design-this head still has the flesh and skin. Can we blow those photos up for a better comparison look?

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
HEY!
Awesome Cigars Wagner!!! Those are a tough find!!!

Great thread! Congrats to the broach owner and "kudos" for restoring it!
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
S
S
Thanks Johnny..Nothing like that Tie Bar. A wonderful work and a great piece of history.
-wagner-

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Houston, if your referring to the tie bar,,there is no "these". As far as I searched and the owner, there is the one.. The one that was a present to Goring. The one on the TIME cover, which is this one posted.. It has an impeccable provenance.. Yes, some years ago it was at the MAX and I believe the owner had won a prize for it or another of his items... If you know of another with the provenance please let us know or myself privately as the owner would love to acquire it or at least see/know about it..

Not sure 100% of what the original gems were but the owner is pretty thorough and a stickler for perfection. The money he spent to restore this piece many years ago was staggering!. The emeralds and sapphires are grade A specimens set exactly as the originals were..I have photos of the reverse but I have no permission to post them,,the reverse is almost as beautiful as the obverse in a jewelry making sense..

The owner sometimes wishes to sell the piece. He can't put a number on it and the few times he told me a number it seemed very high. He has said many times when he gets in bad enough health he's going to destroy all his pieces not believing there is anyone who care for the items like he has for all these years, wanting to 'take it with him'.... Sad and selfish I've told him many times but he is set in his ways..At least the photos will be here for a while.......,G.

Online Content
A friend of mine has given me permission to post a stickpin of his here. It came directly from Lutz Graf Schwerin von Krosigk, Minister of Finance.

Cheers
Don

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Content

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Content
inner lid detail

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Content

CasedDJEmeraldHighLeaderStickpin-_3.jpg (17.35 KB, 436 downloads)

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Content
Closer

CasedDJEmeraldHighLeaderStickpin-_4.jpg (29.66 KB, 434 downloads)

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Content
Another

Galadriel, LotR.
Thanks for posting that Don ! Another work of Art & class act. The fitted case reminds me of that Gold DAF presentation Pin case(just posted on WA) but , I don't remember ever seeing any TR cases with a crushed velvet covering ...but the plunger style release button and everything else matches up .
Do you have any pictures of the back ? I'd like to see how they marked the Gold content and MM (not that I expect to run into any one of a kind items like this anytime soon Big Grin)

Wonderful pieces-no question. I still would like to see comparison close up photos with the ones Goring is wearing. I think we all would. Someone out there can do it. Where is the Frog Prince when you need him? Confused

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Bravo Don!! What an excellent piece. Thank you for adding it here and a thank you to your friend...

Houston, I've never seen the real TIME cover.. Did a internet search and the best I came up with was the first post. Maybe a member actually has the magazine and will contribute the close up.......,G.

A
A
G:
I can't read the exact date on that issue of Time but if you can get it I'll BOTLFI. These are incredible pieces to me and I'm sure other members of this forum. It's a shame so much was broken up and will never get the recognition it deserves.
Jim

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Jim,,April 1st 1940......

C
C
Hi Gaspare,

Thank you for posting the photos and info about this beautiful and unique jewelry. Rarely are Göring's personal belongings exhibited in public, so I very much appreciate this occasion. It is unfortunate that all of the original gems had to be replaced, because one can only speculate what the quality of the gems were originally. If only some were missing then they could have been replaced with equal quality. Otherwise, this is still a special piece of jewelry, both artistically and historically.

In regards to the owner - at first I was disturbed by his professed intention to destroy this jewelry after he spent a "fortune" replacing the long-lost gems. Then I began to think that the owner might be playing a version of "hard to get" where the owner has one reason or another why he won't sell. So you are strung along for months, perhaps years, with the possibility that he might, in this case, sell the jewelry for $20,000, $40,000 ....

In either event, I wouldn't lose any sleep about its future.

Regards,
Dane

Gaspare & Don,

Thanks to both of you for posting these rare and wonderful items for us. Superb.

Kind regards!

Bill

Online Content
Thank you Gentlemen.

Mike, like Gaspare unfortunately I do not have permission to show an image of the reverse.

Cheers
Don

Galadriel, LotR.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Dane, A few years ago when I first met this collector he wanted 1 million dollars for the piece. I laughed..
He began his tirade of why do 'worthless pieces of modern art' go for much more. What is their historical significance? Why are Dalis pieces worth millions? A Cambell soup can painting worth millions? a print of Picasso worth a million? The scream painting worth 20 Mil.?a ring Elizabeth Taylor and another Jackie O. had made/received just in the last 50 years worth a million? etc. He claims the piece not only involved the designer, the artist, but the craftstmen/jeweler and the gemologists who collectively were required to get the piece made. It has historical value. Its a piece of artwork. I don't argue that. For a very brief few seconds I almost agree with him on price!
As I mentioned,,he has many wonderful pieces. Some in the war booty books, others in magazines. He traded other excellent pieces to get these pieces he now owns. He's cared for them and owned them for longer than the original recipients! Dane, I think the only one losing sleep over the piece is the owner! Wink Big Grin,,,G.

quote:
Originally posted by Don Scowen:
Thank you Gentlemen.

Mike, like Gaspare unfortunately I do not have permission to show an image of the reverse.

Cheers
Don

No problem Don , I understand.
Thanks again for posting it though.
I'll have to lower my sights because I don't think I'll ever run into one any time soon.

The more I think about it , the more I'd like to get one of those cased Gold DAF stickpins now ..should be a "little" easier to find Smile
I can hope !!

quote:
He traded other excellent pieces to get these pieces he now owns. He's cared for them and owned them for longer than the original recipients! Dane, I think the only one losing sleep over the piece is the owner! Wink Big Grin,,,G.

In a way , I can understand how and why he'd feel that way. There are things in our Collections that (to me at least) have more Historic value than monetary but never get the respect they deserve. They take a "back seat" to Cambell Soup Can Paintings.
frustrating

A
A
Mike,G,Don et all:
There's no accounting for taste as all of us know. Additionally; There's the stigma attached to anything Third Reich and any items produced during that period will forever be tainted in the mass media because it is dictated that that's the way it has to be.
Any admission that items that were artworthy on their own merit falls into the same category as admitting that Hitler at times appeared to be a decent human being.
Collect and enjoy what we have available to us but don't look for any universal concurrance in this pursuit.
Jim

You're right Jim

A
A
Hey Mike:
It's good to hear from you. Will you be around during August?
Jim

S
S
Jim, That is the reality we should all know by now. You nailed it!
-wagner-

quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
Hey Mike:
It's good to hear from you. Will you be around during August?
Jim

Nothing changed here ..We're still feeding the Troops BUT , I'm hoping I can make it to the Max this year (if it slows down enough)
We're doing a BBQ at West Point today , if you guys were closer I'd invite you over Big Grin

S
S
I don't think you can put a piece like that at auction at Christie's or Sotheby's. That's where the Warhol's and the Dali's realized their million dollar prices.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Was going thru some old photos on the hard drive and came upon a slightly better photo of the piece.

My friend had passed away a few years ago . His family who never wanted anything to do with him,,nor his 'nazi stuff' became the inheritors of all his marvelous pieces... They had wanted me to be a broker and help get the most for the piece..

I had got them 2 cash offers both exactly the same. One was from our late friend John Peppera. [I wanted John to get it!].. Anyway I presented them with the offers and that both would adhere to their weird[?] unorthodox/eccentric? conditions.. I had found out they were in contact with others and all to get them the best/most for this piece , and others.. Guess I can't blame them..
In the end the price from John and other were the highest. We were waiting for them to call but it never came!. I called and they told me they were putting most of the pieces in a auction! A auction no one really heard of! I asked if they were advertising about the items? What kind of promotions about them. They assured me everything was being taken care of,,not to worry....
- When you get greedy you lose,,period! They were greedy. The auctions brought them a fraction of the prices that the items should have brought! Bad for them,,but good for those who won,,,including a couple members here that got stunning, historical pieces! , RIP Bill....., anyway,,, -

Same photos but slightly better. Hope you enjoy....

DSCN9860.JPG (103.91 KB, 141 downloads)
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hhmmm, not working,,same size,,sorry guys.....

I'm going to post anyway..,,, this to the best of my knowledge has never been posted before..

The reverse... IF you look real careful you will see on the pin the cage / swastika that held the sapphires. It was damaged from ripping out the gems and a new one perfectly made replaced it..

DSCN9858.JPG (88.28 KB, 240 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/16/2019 02:40 AM.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
wish this was bigger..

Still, you can see this is mostly hand done. The details are incredible.. In hand a stunning piece. In my opinion one of the best of 3rd reich jewelry..

This has disappeared in to a private collection. The auction was years ago and you rarely if ever see any of the pieces..

There were 10 or so pieces that the family were auctioning/selling... From what I heard IF they would have taken my,our offer for this piece [and an offer for the AH ring] it was as much/more as the total they got for everything... Ah greed,,a MFer... Bill is laughing his ass off.. cool........

a topic started in the HR forum;

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/~germand2/ubbthreads.php/topics/344227.html#Post344227

HGT2.JPG (73.43 KB, 238 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/16/2019 05:02 AM.
Imho Houston Coates, an experienced collector of hunting items and a huntsman himself, did know very well why he insisted on his question....
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Online Content
Hey G,

Who was the maker? Any marks? Thanks

I would love to see comparisons as well.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wotan,, I'll repost my response to Mr. Coats

- " Houston, if your referring to the tie bar,,there is no "these". As far as I searched and the owner, there is the one.. The one that was a present to Goring. The one on the TIME cover, which is this one posted.. It has an impeccable provenance.. Yes, some years ago it was at the MAX and I believe the owner had won a prize for it or another of his items... If you know of another with the provenance please let us know or myself privately as the owner would love to acquire it or at least see/know about it..

- I'll repeat it: The provenance is impeccable.. It is the exact piece from the photo. It was picked up at HGs residence with another famous piece,,documented by the soldier who found it. It went from the soldier who found it, to one other, then to Bill Blynn.. Bill later tracked down the soldier who found it and interviewed him. He told a fascinating account of how he found it and how it got sent to the states. Myself and another member here heard it.. - Comparisons,,Bill knew the piece would be scrutinized and every detail of it was confirmed.

At the time of my first post I did not have permission to post the reverse of the piece. Since Bills passing and it has changed hands I consider my promise to Bill fulfilled and I now have posted the reverse shot.. There was a shot of the reverse when it was auctioned off. My photo was the first and the only photo of the reverse showing the frame of the original Swastika,,which has since gone missing and has yet to be found smirk .

Mikee,,not much space for even a content stamp! Everything was tested when it was being rebuilt. A few have thought it Zeitner as it was HGs favorite jeweler.. Something we'll probably never know..

[Andy, your ever so right! ]

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/20/2019 03:36 AM.
Dear Gaspare, I always appreciate your unbeatable knowledge concerning rings, appropriate jewelry and their manufacturing. But in this special case I have my own observations and see them parted especially due to Houston s comments.
I have read the whole thread here and at the ring section, therefore I do know what you have answered Houston Coates.

Let me specify: Goerings items have been heavily faked (and phantasy Goerig items have been produced) all the time alredy since end of WII. The fakers respective their clients obviously did not avoid any costs how high these might have been.

You are no -dagger guy- but perhaps you do know the prominent and EXTREMELY valuable Goering Reichsmarschall dagger and it?s final story. During the time it was unknown to most what has happened to/with the dagger it suddenly (in all it s worthness!) did surface on collector s market. F.J.Stephens clearly could proof (what has also been my immediate opinion when looking on certain details) that this certain dagger has been totally faked. Some time later TTWittmann gained access to the few poor remaining parts of the ORIGINAL Reichsmarschall dagger, it has been ruined for ever, he did documt it in one of his books, I think the luftwaffe book) and the dagger which did surface has been really a total fake.

Goering s stickpin shown here in detail, thanks to your ongoing generously efforts, imho has SEVERAL points I personally cannot believe it is the same piece that has been worn by Goering on the TIME cover and Houston once obviously has thought in the same direction. The edge which is surrounding the green stones is embellished in a kind which has been used during the second half of the 19th century, perhaps until the early years of 20th century. This style was replaced by art deco and realism so I highly doubt that Goering as a Connaisseur of art and as modern sensualist would appreciate such an "old" style jewelery for himself. This fact also seems to be proofed by other, doubtless Goering artefacts. Even more, the official DJ badge clealy shows a stag carcass head and the one on the questionable stick pin shows a stag head -in life-. The DJ emblem does lack generally overall in certain details. Finally to me the deer antler looks like done by a person without the least zoological knowledge. In Europa, in the alps region there is such a creature called Raurackl or Wolperdinger and this certain stag looks in some points like one of them.
The lack of ANY proofmark, ANY manufacturer s brand, ANY contence mark (which has been regulated by law!) is another strong point.
For me this stickpin looks like done out of an elder, original piece of jewelry where parts have been used (therefore removed marks) to fake the prominent stickpin, unfortunately by a skilled jeweler but an unskilled (concerning history, style, taste and zoology) person, but this all could gain ground at collectors who do only appreciate an admittedly impressive piece of jewelry without trying to understand it and it s background.
This is my honest, personal opinion concerning this stickpin in person.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
L
L
[quote=Gaspare]Wotan,, I'll repost my response to Mr. Coats

[i]- " Houston, if your referring to the tie bar,,there is no "these". As far as I searched and the owner, there is the one.. The one that was a present to Goring. The one on the TIME cover, which is this one posted.. It has an impeccable provenance.. Yes, some years ago it was at the MAX and I believe the owner had won a prize for it or another of his items... If you know of another with the provenance please let us know or myself privately as the owner would love to acquire it or at least see/know about it..[/i]

What do you think about this one?

http://www.theoldbrigade.co.uk/viewitem.php?id=1508

[quote=wotan]Dear Gaspare, I always appreciate your unbeatable knowledge concerning rings, appropriate jewelry and their manufacturing. But in this special case I have my own observations and see them parted especially due to Houston s comments.
I have read the whole thread here and at the ring section, therefore I do know what you have answered Houston Coates.

Let me specify: Goerings items have been heavily faked (and phantasy Goerig items have been produced) all the time alredy since end of WII. The fakers respective their clients obviously did not avoid any costs how high these might have been.

You are no -dagger guy- but perhaps you do know the prominent and EXTREMELY valuable Goering Reichsmarschall dagger and it?s final story. During the time it was unknown to most what has happened to/with the dagger it suddenly (in all it s worthness!) did surface on collector s market. F.J.Stephens clearly could proof (what has also been my immediate opinion when looking on certain details) that this certain dagger has been totally faked. Some time later TTWittmann gained access to the few poor remaining parts of the ORIGINAL Reichsmarschall dagger, it has been ruined for ever, he did documt it in one of his books, I think the luftwaffe book) and the dagger which did surface has been really a total fake.

Goering s stickpin shown here in detail, thanks to your ongoing generously efforts, imho has SEVERAL points I personally cannot believe it is the same piece that has been worn by Goering on the TIME cover and Houston once obviously has thought in the same direction. The edge which is surrounding the green stones is embellished in a kind which has been used during the second half of the 19th century, perhaps until the early years of 20th century. This style was replaced by art deco and realism so I highly doubt that Goering as a Connaisseur of art and as modern sensualist would appreciate such an "old" style jewelery for himself. This fact also seems to be proofed by other, doubtless Goering artefacts. Even more, the official DJ badge clealy shows a stag carcass head and the one on the questionable stick pin shows a stag head -in life-. The DJ emblem does lack generally overall in certain details. Finally to me the deer antler looks like done by a person without the least zoological knowledge. In Europa, in the alps region there is such a creature called Raurackl or Wolperdinger and this certain stag looks in some points like one of them.
The lack of ANY proofmark, ANY manufacturer s brand, ANY contence mark (which has been regulated by law!) is another strong point.
For me this stickpin looks like done out of an elder, original piece of jewelry where parts have been used (therefore removed marks) to fake the prominent stickpin, unfortunately by a skilled jeweler but an unskilled (concerning history, style, taste and zoology) person, but this all could gain ground at collectors who do only appreciate an admittedly impressive piece of jewelry without trying to understand it and it s background.
This is my honest, personal opinion concerning this stickpin in person.
Regards,[/quote]

I don't like the pin at all.. Has to be Gold smith marked for sure also gold stamped...But of course my opinion does not matter..
Roger Stahl Steel he was importing items same time as Atwood and they worked together.. was a big seller (broker) and creator of fakes.. There is a Known solid silver hilt sword presented to Goering (blade made by Muller) 1938. Most of the ORIGINAL sword given to Goering is lost... Roger Steel brokered one that was a reproduction with synthetic stones rubies.. Also no silver smith marks etc..When I question BIG dealers about this sword they seem to know nothing.. (Problem is their pictured holding the reproduction) Here is the rub the original hilt and blade artwork has turned up Real rubies and correct sliver smith marks.. Now the reproduction with blade made by Muller has gone missing or underground and the people involved know nothing,, Never seen it.. most likely closet collector with big pocket book bought it.. I'm sure they had a iron clad story to go with these items...
Not talking about the Reichsmarschall dagger.. This Roger had created also.. Interesting how many of the original Goering jeweled daggers and swords were sold for the gems or the metals.. Scraped by the vets who brought them home..

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/21/2019 03:05 PM.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Daggers and R. Steele, Stephens, Wittman has nothing to do with this piece...

Mr. Coats was head of security at the MAX long ago if I'm not mistaken. Also had a lot of ties to the MAX. His show had invited Bill and hosted this piece,, and in fact had won an award from the MAX while he was a big player there..
The fact that it is not a skull is how it was matched to the magazine. Even on a good copy you can see it is the same piece as the magazine.. I've never seen the LIFE magazine but understand it is a full page so maybe it can be seen better..

This piece wasn't brought out by Hollywood Specialties or big fanfare when it was discovered.. It was being taken apart at a pawn shop in Cleveland! Again comparing it to Atwood or Steels pieces has nothing to do with this piece, nor was the piece ever associated with either of them..
In this hobby we go by provanance.. I would say this piece has a better provanance than most of our own pieces. You guys dont like it,,fine. You don't have to. Bill has/had all the comparisons and had the provenance thoroughly checked out before he repaired it and announced he had the piece. All the while with guys like John Peppra and Rasmussin [spelling?] etc.calling trying to buy it from him. This piece has been traced accurately from capture to Bill Blynn..

3rd reich you didn't have to hallmark anything especially small items.. Besides where do you think it would have been stamped without much damage.. Doesn't really matter much because we don't have it, nor is it being touted as a holy grail. I posted the reverse photo so it could be seen with the only shot of the original swastika... I'm sure the new owner is very happy with it..

Appreciate you comments and opinions..

DSCN9858.JPG (88.28 KB, 132 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/21/2019 07:31 PM.
Yes, I totally understand your point.. Awards, big man on campus means nothing.. It sometimes is all smoke and mirrors..
What does this have to do with the originality of the piece..
I just don't buy a item on providence .I don't need to. I buy pieces on there own merit and period information. There is a fine line between the word providence and just a plain story..
In my experience with German jewelry from the 20s and 30s it is always hallmarked.. It has to be... And I have many pieces mostly silver from good smiths..
As we do not know each other or what if any experience collecting I have I understand why you did not like the comparison to the swords I made..
It is just the originals where hallmarked silver with retailer and or silver smith.. And they were given to Goering.
Frankly it looks like something You would see on the website of a very shady unnamed dealer and we all know him. If I remember correctly he also has providence with his gold items..
I hate forums as everyone is a expert.. And it is a great way to make something NEW ,,,OLD again..
I'm sure there is a lot of $$$$$ involved with this item.. Why do you need to rely on Providence?? As most in a court of law is just hearsay..
There are period German publications called the (Goldschmide) (came out monthly) There should be pictures of this piece in this publication... I have many but not all..
So that would be a good source to find good period photos.. That would help this item. But even if this is period made it would not match period photos as the providence says the stones were replaced and item rebuilt..
Just a opinion and I guess (you ) do not know if it is educated or not.. That is the beauty of the internet and forums..

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/21/2019 09:21 PM.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
D. , I would say your unique among collectors IF provanance isn't so important to you! ..

All I am stating is:
That the piece existed as from the period proof photos of it from TIME and LIFE.
That the piece turned up in a pawnshop years ago in Cleveland.
That there is a provanance tracing it from the Sgt. that got it to the man I met who was the owner at the time..
That the piece had to be restored/rebuilt.
That IF checked it would be found to be the same piece as in the photo.

Yes I too own many of the trade booklets for the 3rd reich jewelers and engravers. They are great for research of period jewelry....
And, that you are incorrect. That small items did not have t have a content mark ,hallmark.. I own several 100 3rd reich era pieces of jewelry and many are not content marked..

So it is what it is,,,and I guess it is not for everyone... IF you like it great,,if not,,then don't....,G.

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/21/2019 10:29 PM.
Online Content
Great topic. I love mysteries.

Without a good copy of a photo of the original in wear I suspect we will never know for certain if the one shown above is the same.

The point that is the most serious to me is the lack of a gold content marking or the maker's logo / mark .... but then again, the most famous TR jewelry - the Honor Ring - had none !

Anybody have more photos ?

Dave

Online Content
Hey G,
I normally agree with you, you know that. Respectfully I'm sorry G, but this piece is highly questionable imo. From the closeups provided from Time. Take a look at the eye sockets, completely different. It's true small items did not have to be marked, but a lot are marked because they had a registered trade mark, so they did stamp them of course. I can't imagine a respectable company that would have a registered trade mark would not put there mark on it. I would differ with you there is plenty of space to mark this piece.

Damast, I have many of these mags and more as well, but nothing.

wotan, I absolutely agree!

Online Content
Dave, I honestly believe Gahr didn't but his mark on the SS ring because It interfered.

Online Content

Mikee,

Correct. There was not much place on that ring for anything more.

But, If some big leader said "no proof marks on my badge / ring / tie clap / etc" ... then there were none applied in my opinion. Normal rules didn't apply if the leader said they didn't.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
* Jewelry for those that don't know was marked after completion.. When this piece was done where would you put the stamp.? It is only 3" long,,1 1/8" at its widest..Any jeweler would say the same,,they wouldn't stamp it.. The gold, emeralds, sapphires are all soft. Even with the leather cushion under them you wouldn't risk the stamp from the other side on the gold. One little mistake and weeks,months worth of work ruined.. Try it sometime...
- Imagine it Mikee,,The Hitler ring,,Sepp D,s ring,,the SAARDANK rings,, the Honor ring, the ring for the German film industry,, ALL special, rare rings with 100% provanance,,,,none of them stamped for Gold or Silver nor maker..

Do you guys actually think that the owner would have invested the time and money if he wasn't absolutely sure? The better photos of the pictures were checked, the provenance was checked to the point he put the Sgt. on tape about the chain of custody. Myself, Vinny, John Peppera and others have seen/heard all this..

I'm not out to prove anything. Just wanted to finally show the reverse shot with the cage of the Swastika because it was never seen before and the piece has been lost.. ,G.

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/22/2019 02:56 AM.
Correct, provenance means nothing for example (the so and so collection) (came from a veterans family) (so and so sold it so it must be good) (if he invested this much into it it must be original)
(so and so wanted to buy it also) (found it in a basement payed nothing for it).. In general this is all window dressing..
You have also said this a couple of times the term (lost) ????
I do not understand as a quick search on the internet and I found it for sale on (THE) website many pictures.. Nothing to lose . Matter of fact I think it has been polished as some of the scratches are gone.. And the same commentary is provided in the description.. And what a website it is..
Guess I have been very lucky in my buying of 20s and 30s era German jewelry as all have either content stamp or maker.. Even with rubies and red coral etc..Even the Big leader stuff as Dave put it.. But than I collect certain Jewelers and artists. I have not looked at my Goldsmiths mags Yet and German handwork books..
I own bound copies of Life 30s to 70s and the picture does not help your cause.. Just look at it..
Again as I buy on the merits of the item 1st and it is great if you can find period reference.
A collector should not be talked into buying a item if you need to be there is a problem as the item should sell itself..
Maybe ask the checkbook if it is OK. original real high-end stuff always sells..
Just a opinion ..

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/22/2019 03:12 AM.
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
D.., IF the provenance of it coming from the Sgt. that acquired it,,to the friend he sold it to,,to the pawn shop where Bill got it is 'window dressing' then there is nothing more to say..

The photos here and measurements I took myself from seeing it a few times in hand.. I also have some appraisal letters from the jeweler Potter & Mellon on it and some of his other treasures..
No one it talking anyone in to buying it,,certainly not me.. Since Bills death it has changed hands a couple times. Where it is now is no concern of mine..

* Bills family had approached me before it went to auction years ago asking where the frame to the Swastika was.. Last time I saw it was over 10 years ago or so attached to the pin. See photo, red arrow.. IF there is another photo showing that Swastika I'd like to see it as it would be good news....

Glad many of your 3rd reich small pieces are marked. I invite you to share some photos with the guys over on the Honor Ring forum here..

DSCN9858b.JPG (89.6 KB, 176 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/22/2019 04:46 AM.
Well there are golden Honour rings that are marked, and talking about Sepp Dietrich, he received a golden honour ring of the city of Frankfurt (Reichshandwerkertag) in 1936 which he wore till his death in 1966.
These rings bear a goldmark and a maker initials mark ( JF = Julius Fuchs) on the inside.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders-decorations-third-reich/golden-honourring-city-frankfurt-ehrenring-der-stadt-des-deutschen-handwerks-1938-a-224650/

Ger

Inscripties.jpg (21.02 KB, 168 downloads)
Sepp Dietrich met Ring.jpg (14.46 KB, 167 downloads)
sepp.jpg (106.23 KB, 167 downloads)
HR2.jpg (136.63 KB, 166 downloads)
M
M
Some things were marked some were not; the ss honor ring- not. I believe that during the period it was not a requirement for them to be on there. Stamps can sometimes be dated to year of manufacture. This ring above could have been made in 1938 or earlier. The engraving to Dietrich has been added after the stamps were on the ring. You can see that because the 1938 avoids running into the stamps. 1938 or earlier would be the date the ring was made- you would have to consult a silver makers guide to find out if there is a date for the stamp.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It was not required to stamp small pieces such as rings, cufflinks etc. Were some stamped,,sure. Many not.

Sepps elaborate ring given to him during the war from the LAH to him isn't stamped. The ring from German Chamber of Crafts!!yeah that better be stamped! wink

E
E
This sure is a beautiful piece of jewelry, thank you Gaspare for starting a fine discussion.
Some will always doubt a piece like this and there is something to it.
I guess if you look at any of the 3rd reich stuff, any of it could be made post war, and plenty is.
But I doubt there is another like this.
What a great thread.
I hope all my daggers are real??
Ed

E
E

BINGO!!!!!

Online Content
Dave, Absolutely agree. Interfered w/ H's wishes/demands, Interfered with space/cosmetics etc.

G, You stated it was tested? Do you know how many karats?

G, I'm not in any way trying to be argumentative at all. It depends on the item when an item is marked. With several parts/pieces such as this one, before it's assembled a skilled smith would identify an area to be marked and mark it appropriately prior to assembly, for ease and for possible unnecessary damage, but damage very unlikely. I have a few like this, the part/piece was marked then assembled and all the marks fit easily within 1/8" width area with absolutely no damage. Normally the maker mark is punched harder then the rest, but still would not cause any damage soft medal or not. I must review my documents I think if one was to mark an item it gave the area. I have forgotten so much lately lol.

I would like to make one thing clear so we all are on the same sheet of music and I have mentioned this in the past but needs to be addressed on occasion. "The law does not state small items" or mentions what those items are, such as rings, cuff links etc. It simply states "may not on gold and silver jewelry be attached". That makes a big difference right! There is an amendment for silver plated cutlery but that's for another topic.

I'm also a stickler and need to catch myself at times.You know I hate the term Hallmarks when it comes to German marks because they are not. I know it's become a catch all phrase, oh well so be it. I absolutely love the simplicity and ease to which these laws work and I hope they never change.

Sorry if I got off topic.

Almost forgot, Mike AKA Byzanti, Would you mind explaining your meaning I would appreciate it. You stated "you would have to consult a silver makers guide to find out if there is a date for the stamp". Not with German marks of this period or am I missing your point. Thank you.

M
M
Or in this case goldmakers. Sorry- was also speaking in generalized catch alls. So with respect to silver at least as an example- there are websites such as 925-1000.com and silvercollection.it as well as the tardy book of international hallmarks of silver that are tremendous helps in identifying and dating a piece. Most of what we collect are silver pieces so those sites can be very helpful I have found

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mikee,,this is all good debating, 'foruming'! wink
- no jeweler [then or now] would put their hallmark/makers mark on a piece before finale assembly.. It is the inspected proof,,that after final inspection it gets stamped,,its approved by and worthy to have the firms mark on it. .. Stamping before finalization could lead to a piece that was assembled poorly or one piece not up to par represents the jewelers final product.. Just wasn't done.

Photos checked, material checked. It's not mine,it was a long time ago.,I don't remember gold content.. I had the appraisal for many of Bills items. Many got lost by the family. Items like the Coburg window, Gauleiters salver, Napoleon sword, AH ring, watercolors and other pieces when I knew of friends that got the pieces I sent them the documentation and appraisal.

Small items didn't have to be stamped and most did what they wanted during the 3rd reich anyway.. During the 3rd reich about 50% were stamped with a makers or content marked..
I have over 300 3rd reich era military theme rings. About half have one stamp or the other. Collectors around the world with large collections will probably tell you the same...

It's a nice piece. Historical. Good provenance. Made / rebuilt with fine materials by a great jeweler in Cleveland [Potter & Mellon]. Wouldn't matter what would be shown here,,there will always be those that don't like a certain piece for whatever reason.. I wanted to show the reverse photo here,and did.. Thanks guys its been fun...,G.

Online Content
Gaspare,

What is the timeframe of all this happening ?

And what are the Coburg Window and the Gauleiters salver ?

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Dave,, I wrote the topic in 2007.. I met bill when I was investigating the Hitler ring.. Took him a couple years before he even let me photograph anything..
Vinny and I had gone to visit John Peppera and he was mentioning Bill had this piece for years and he had been trying to get it from him. John and him lived within 10 miles of each other.. John was certain the piece was authentic as were Vinny and myself after we saw and heard the research..

He was a golden age collector who had many treasures. The other 2 pieces you mention are just 2 of the famous pieces he's owned. They went to auction when he died..
The owner of the Salver is a member here and its up to him if he wants to make a comment. The Coburg window had another with it. 2 wonderful stained glass windows that went to auction. The 2 windows the Napoleon sword, AH ring, watercolors and other pieces I believe have appeared in the small War Booty books as well and the large collected War Booty book..

M
M
Coburg window

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
yeah,,thats it Mike,,thanks!

Bill liked the high end stuff. . Had to be something stupendous, thrilling, rare etc. Bills real thing was research.. Each of his items had a ton of documentation..

Just a tiny bit of his other stuff.. Goring command flag,,, Giant size Alfred Rosenburg MK , and a very hotly in search of sword!!! [maybe found by now??]

DSCN5919.JPG (47.38 KB, 115 downloads)
DSCN9904.JPG (58.06 KB, 115 downloads)
NapGorSword.jpg (78.77 KB, 115 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/24/2019 05:32 PM.
Online Content
G, I guess we can go round and round on this one, but the law is clear and Jewelry comes in many forms/ sizes. It's to easy to state just small items, no it's, "Jewelry" in general, big difference. Maybe I'm being to technical but that was the law so that's how I view it.

G, That makes no sense to me, to state it wasn't done. We can't state all items were stamped after completion. Rings of course but not complicated items unless it's obvious. With my items in my collection it would have broke no doubt, if it was marked after completion. Sometimes I'm sure it made sense to mark before assembly. Nothing in the laws that state when, of course not, that's left up to the smith's knowledge.

G, We all know some items where marked and some not, with all markings or some. But there is very good reasons "why". The laws are clear on this. I can give you a number of reasons why an item was or wasn't marked. It's not that they did what they wanted. If you understand the laws you would understand the why's if you will.

G, Sorry I'm totally lost with your statement, "It is the inspected proof,,that after final inspection it gets stamped,,its approved by and worthy to have the firms mark on it. .. Stamping before finalization could lead to a piece that was assembled poorly or one piece not up to par represents the jewelers final product.. Just wasn't done.

G, You stated it was tested? Do you know what the gold content is?

I guess until better pictures surface the safe bet is to reserve opinions.

Thank you as always. Best!

Online Content
G, Forget the gold content question. I reread your statement. Thank you.

Mike, Thank you for your answer. I understand I generalize a lot myself lol. Yes absolutely very good sources you mention. Thank you I appreciate it.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mikee, I used to race flat track,,I can go round and round,,as long as its to the left wink - your answering it for me - "it would have broke no doubt, if it was marked after completion."
It is why most of the more delicate, and small pieces were not marked..

* for pieces that were stamped:

A firms stamp was their final approval! That the piece passes the rigorous inspection of the maker/jeweler. That the piece after checking was worthy of the firm and therefor get stamped. That the maker would be proud to have anyone see or know the piece was made by their firm. Quality control my friend!

IF, if the piece was stamped before final assembly or before it was finished in completion doesn't make sense. A part could be stamped. Then assembled poorly, or another part could be defective or sub par and used in final assembly. Why would the maker want his firms stamp on the piece. Big and small jewelers ,custom knife makers,glassblowers,furniture makers etc. will all tell you the same thing,,Nothing is getting their firms name on it until it passes the final inspection and its perfect!

s-l1000.jpg (17.76 KB, 97 downloads)
Online Content
G, lol.. no, delicate and very fine pieces are marked if possible and that's not the reason.

G, "A firms stamp was their final approval! That the piece passes the rigorous inspection of the maker/jeweler. That the piece after checking was worthy of the firm and therefor get stamped. That the maker would be proud to have anyone see or know the piece was made by their firm. Quality control my friend! "

You mean like the item in discussion :grin:. Anyway that's not the reason, but yes a part of it true but not the point I'm really trying to make here. Anyway we will just have to agree to disagree. All the best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,459 SS Bayonets
1,760,274 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,731 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Mikee, Documentalist, Baz69, Stephen, Honestmike, Mbuin, Evgeniy, AndyRose), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod