Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103575 08/29/2006 04:35 AM
T
OP Offline
T
(this has been posted in the community forum as well since not all members frequent all pages)

I corresponded with Jeff today and he told me that his book is expected in November..
I know that many of us including myself are looking forward to the release..

For those of you who may not be familiar, Jeff is a Political Leader collector and some of his amazing collection can be found in the SA and Political Uniforms section under the "Lets see your NSDAP uniforms" thread at the top of the page.

Given his familiarity with the subject, this book will be a 'must have' for historians and collectors, and will fill a void on the subject of what is in my opinion the often overlooked area of Poltical Leaders.. The book will be about 300 pages all color except for the period pics..

B
B
That's great - do you know what the title of the book will be? We can always use more books on uniforms.

C
C
Is this Exspand's book or another book?,and which company is printing it?(Schiffer ?).
Chelseadanny.

T
OP Offline
T
The title will be:

'Uniforms of the NSDAP'
subtitled
'Uniforms*Headgear*Insignia*of the Nazi Party'

Yeah this is Exspands book, which has been talked about on this forum for quite awhile. It is indeed a Schiffer book..

I am looking forward to it, as I think aesthetically, the PL stuff is the most amazing..Exspand is always a helpful contributor around here and if you go back and read his contributions, you'll get the understanding that this book will become a staple for collectors libraries.

R
R
Jeff is very knowledgable and polite. I had the opportunity to meet him at a militaria show earlier this year and purchase a few PL items he was thinning from his collection. Great pieces for my humble Political Leader grouping. Thanks again Jeff! Yes, I too am looking forward to, with great interest, the publishing of this anticipated NSDAP tome. Look forward to seeing you again at another event.
Sincerely,
Bob Clark

M
M
Fellow Collectors and Researchers:

This is great news indeed. As I have had the opporunity to see some rough drafts of the book, I can say that this is going to be HOT !!!
YOU WILL NOT WANT TO MISS THIS ONE !!!! It will absolutely blow your socks off !!!

Congratulations to Jeff !!!!

Mark Costa

P
P
Knowing Jeff,its gonna be good!

Can't wait!~

PVON

T
OP Offline
T
Book Description

This book is the first in depth published work in over twenty years on Third Reich Political Leaders uniforms and their regalia. Some of the finest items in the collecting community – uniforms, insignia, headgear, flags, banners and other items – have been assembled in this large format, all-color book. This book also explains the complicated levels and rank system so that the hobbyist can avoid the many pitfalls when adding these items to their collection. Period source material has been researched and translated here for the first time. Many high-level personality collectibles are pictured here for the first time ever, having been in private collections since 1945. This one of a kind book is a must have for any serious Third Reich collector.

DUE IN LATE OCTOBER/ EARLY NOVEMBER!

0764325793.jpg (8 KB, 716 downloads)
G
G
Any idea who the publisher is?

http://www.Worlddaggers.com
Founder

GDC Gold 0024
G
G
is it full colour?

T
OP Offline
T
The book will be about 300 pages all color except for the period pics..

C
C
Is there a firm date for release yet or are we looking at a possible November date now?
Chelseadanny.

T
OP Offline
T
Chelseadanny and others:

Spoke with Jeff (Exspand)this morning, and after double checking with the editor it looks like the much-anticipated book will be available late November..

As soon as I hear of a specific date, I will post.

J
JS Offline
J
I'm looking forward to this one as well. Can't wait to see it !

JS

C
C
Schiffer book's have added "now available" on there website,so i guess it's here and ready to ship.
Chelseadanny

T
OP Offline
T
Pre-orders for the book are now being accepted and book should ship by months end!

here's the link again...

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0764325793

D
D
I ordered mine yesterday!

T
OP Offline
T
its official, the NSDAP book will finally be here Dec 7 (Pearl Harbor Day coincidentally) and will be shipped immediately..There is a heavy demand already due to pre-orders, so make sure to order yours soon...

This book is authored by GDCs own Exspand (Jeff Clark) so be sure and support it...

H
H
Received mine yesterday -12/7.. fantastic photos and very well done. A great addition to any reference library.Stunning photos of the Kreis Oberbereichsleiter tunic complete with brocade pistol support rig and the Dr. Robert Ley tunic fully decked out with brocade belt and medals would make Goring jealous..Again..what a great work.

I
I
I have the book, too, and yes it's a great one.

But there's a period pic which puzzles me: 2 PL
with what look just life W-SS sleeve eagles (!) in place of the Kampfbinde.

Clark doesn't mention this in the caption, focusing on the command pennants of the car (Ley's) the men were in.

I've never heard of this. Any ideas?

N
N
This eagle type upper arm insignia of PL's, which was surely rather golden than silver like the SS eagle was, was worn by several political leaders, who served outside of the Reich. Also there exist some photos of the Reichsorganisationsleiter Ley wearing this eagle instead of the armband.

As of now I could not find any archive file or regulation, which explains or introduces this type of insignia officially. But I know about critical voices of leading people in the party administration, who did not consider the use of the armbands with all the different patterns as insignia of the working position of the wearer intelligent or useful.

The arm eagle might have been introduced for the wear by political leaders who served outside of the Reich. Perhaps it was also introduced generally for political leaders sometimes later in the war time era. Without an explanation in an order or regulation, these are actually in anyway only ideas and theories.

My guess is Jeff Clark did not explain this arm eagles in the book in detail, as actually so little backed up information about these is available.

B
B
during the war, members of the HIgh Command of the SA wore a sleeve eagle in gold. Possibly, this insignia was also carried through for wear by political leaders of a comparable position. It is also possible that the men in the photograph were members of the SA High Command who also retained status as political leaders and therfore mixed insignia from the two organizations.

Bob

"A man needs to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gold Badge #263
I
I
thanks, gentlemen.

is there other photographic evidence of these eagles - which, again, appear to have clipped wingtips like the W-SS variety - or any texts which discuss them? Does for example the Org. Buch mention this?

For that matter do any collections hold an example? This must be the rarest PL item of all - and among the rarest of any IIId Reich insignia - surely more so than the SA/SS flight badge, or even the metal skull-and-motto for the SS Dress Mess jacket.

R
R
I would like to concur with Nikolay. When researching at the National Archives in Washington, DC in the summer of 2005, I came across 2 photos of Reichsleiter Dr. Robert Ley wearing what appeared to be a field gray uniform with national emblem (eagle and swastika) on the left center arm. The position and style was much like the Waffen-SS or wartime Fuehrer uniform.

Period photos, including some great color Hugo Jaeger ones, have shown the Deputy Fuehrer Hess at the Compiegne Surrender in 1940, wearing a field gray uniform (mirroring Hitler's cut, color and style), but with the 4th pattern 1939-1945 NSDAP political leader's headgear--Only with Silver wreath and national emblem instead of Gold! The eagle and swastika on his left arm, looked just like Hitler's, but in silver...very similar to what the Dr. Ley Photos had shown.

Also, (and I thought this was really cool..)There is a photo in a book by Dr. Jay W. Baird, A professor interviewed by David Irving for his excellent work on Goebbels, showing Dr. G with what again appears to be a field gray uniform without the armband, but with arm eagle and swastika!

As an aside, I had the good fortune to meet Dr. Baird and discuss his meetings in 1969 with Goebbels State Secretary, Dr. Werner Naumann.

Lastly, please help me if you can, but I remember reading somewhere that Hitler forbade the use of these "politicians" to wear the national emblem on their arms, leaving it for the exclusive use by members of the armed forces, himself, Waffen-SS, special FHQ SA, etc. Great Topic!
Thanks posting,
Bob

T
OP Offline
T
Just recieved my copy of this book, and like the previous members observations, its exceeds all expectations. This book combines all the relevant parts of the original period Orgs books with the deciphering benefits of Angolias books and blends it with new and rarely seen original material and numerous period photos to become the comprehensive book on the subject.
Its the dimensions of a coffee table book, much bigger and heavier and more substantial than the smaller Angolia references..the quality of the photography and the content is far superior to any reference we have on the subject...If your Political Leader references are lacking, this book will fill the holes..its the one book on the subject every library will require..It covers the PL structure itself, uniforms, visors, collar tabs, armbands, flags and car pennants and more. You will find everything from the common, to the obscure, to the exotic. Truly a masterful piece of work..

I
I
I only wish some of the miscellaneous material (the pennant section is over-large IMO) had taken a back seat to construction details, marks and tags of the uniforms and caps themselves.

I'm aware the "deveil's in the details" and that fakers are always alert, but something that's meant to be comprehensive ought to have a few representative linings, stampings, RZM tags etc. for these terrific tunics. After all, individual collar insignia get this treatment.

ALso, a bit on PL trousers would be useful; especially since in German "military" circlesm things like mountain trouseres, riding breeches, "Channel" pants, DAK shorts -- even training shorts -- are finally appreciated rather than ignored, traded off for bayonets and such or stored away.

That said, again, it's a stunner of a book

Got my copy for Christmas and I think it's great. Some really nice collections pictured in the book!

N
N
A fantastic book in my opinion! Anybody interested on PL stuff, historian, researcher or collector get a great reference book here with stunning photos of both common and really rare items. Should not be missing in any collectors library in my opinion!

Congratulation to the author of THE book about the NSDAP uniforms and insignia especially!!!

B
B
Jeff's book was a work of love for the hobby. His compensation from Schiffer was next to nothing. Along with other collectors, I have been involved in supplying items for the book for several years. I personally know how much time and effort Jeff put in to the book. Kudos to Jeff and the final product. Every collector of 3rd Reich material should have a copy in his library.
Bob

"A man needs to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gold Badge #263
M
M
A very good book as all of the Schiffer publications seem to be. Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,268 SS Bayonets
1,763,648 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,204 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 04/29/2024 10:54 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Latest New Posts
Pipes old and new
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/02/2024 03:18 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/02/2024 02:51 AM
POCKET MATCHSAFES
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:31 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 08:26 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 06:48 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,666
Posts329,075
Members7,523
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (C. Wetzel-20609, Dean Perdue, The_Collector, Dave, Vern), 389 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod