Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JME Offline OP
OP Offline
What is going on with our Hobby? First off I like to say that I collect since it is fun but also because I hope that the value of the item will increase with time. Recently with this Economy things have changed and prices have gone down and some people are saying there is less interest in this hobby. People are also saying that when our Generation is gone 50-70+ years old that there is nobody behind us to fill the space. Then further the assumption is that the collections will not be worth much at all. I feel that you have to be at a mature age to be able to afford some of the nicer pieces since young people don’t have that much money. We are also a minority and not every kid is interested in Militaria like they would be in Baseball. I remember when I went to shows 40 years ago I only saw old people. I did not see many young people at these shows at all. I am not so sure if there is less interested now than there was years ago. I believe there is still a lot of interest in Miliaria and WWII. These are my thoughts and it is quite possible that I am wrong on more than one point. Maybe we need to do something to spark that interest in young people to start collecting Militaria. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. Thank you for your input. JME

Deja Vu Wink

I am a big believer in demographics. I don't believe the numbers are there if you are looking for long term sustainability in this hobby.I will leave it to others to debate where the markets will be price wise, but I do know that if we don't see new blood in this hobby, it will suffer.

Many factors contribute to this; however, the one elephant that is in the room that people refuse to talk about is lack of interest in the under 25 crowd.

I believe there will be a toxic mix in the next decade of a general lack of interest, a glut of items as well as an unwillingness to pay the kind of prices being asked today.

As a collector, the next decade could be quite inspiring.

109 Offline
It seems to me the younger generation is interested in other areas of life. Perhaps higher education or recently married and wanting to buy a new home. A child on the way is expensive. When I stsrted collecting in the late 60's early 70's you didn't need to consider a bank loan to buy a dagger. Newspaper adds and garage sales payed off like a slot machine with little investment. !st class Iron Cross was 10 bucks, a 2nd class was 5 bucks. In the Dagger class SA's were the most abundant and cheapest. I bought a SS Dagger from a vet for 35.00 bucks and I thought at the time that was high. The age of the advanced collector, the economy and the excellerated prices of TR goodies put a big gap in a new generation of collectors. With the introduction of the internet and the deep pocket dealers prices have soared over the years. I thought it was insane when SA's hit 200 bucks, look at what they demand now. I'm glad I stated when I did and have what I have now or I would be to discouraged to begin this hobby. I don't think the hobby is doomed to die, but it does seem to be weak in new interest. I am 61 years old now, but I still enjoy and get just as excited as I did when I was 19 when I discover a new find. If the hobby dies, my love for it never will.

R
R
the new collectors i have spoken to at shows are all in the late twenties early thirties bracket .it seems they have disposable income again , lower mortgage older children etc . An they all want daggers , no one wants to touch the medals combat awards because of the high end fakes . so maybe the edged weapon of the hobby is a bit safer than medals tunics etc who knows ? All i can say is enjoy what you have an lets see what happens

I'm 28 and have been collecting for at least 13 years. Honestly I buy less now since there is no way I am paying what these author/dealers deem this stuff to be worth. I will on occasion buy from a regular dealer who can be a bit more realistic with their prices and where a deal can be found now and then. Mostly nowadays I buy out of the woodwork where you can pay truly realistic prices, what this stuff is really worth. Basically the author/dealers are out to squeeze ever cent they possibly can out of there product. Books that are written by dealers are for profit not to pass on any knowledge. Sure they do pass knowledge on, but that certainly is their primary motivation to write them. Even an uneducated onlooker could ascertain such.

My first SA was bought from one of the "Big Dogs" back in 1999-2000 time frame, it was nearly mint and it was only $400. I seen the same conditioned Eichorn on a site recently for $1400. I didn't know whether to laugh or get mad at this? There isn't no reason that a SA should demand these price which I guess they don't unless you are a author? As I suppose this give that SA a sort of mystical quality. A quality that turns a $600-800 dagger into a $1400 one?

I attend local shows and only see older people. Older people who think they can rip a younger guy off(not all, but a lot). If you are younger and uneducated in the hobby you are going to have a tough time anymore. Who do they trust? Because some that can seem so trust worthy are anything but. I hardly care really because I collect for the history not for profit. I would rather buy out of the woodwork. Sure I'll take the deal I find on the web one in a while but it certainly isn't habit. I think anyone who pays $1400 for a SA is a careless spender same for anyone who would pay $1500 for a beater name only Rohm SA. Its really lunacy in my opinion. Then again we all know what opinions are like don't we?

What may appear as truth to one person will often appear as untruth to another person. But that need not worry the seeker. -Gandhi

R
R
Adam you are spot on about sa prices , totally off t he map , The only ones winning are the dealers . An you are right aboutsome of them taking advantage of the young un educated , A new colletor friend of mine was sold an sa dagger which rated number one on mikes list ,an was told said rating one means rare . you couldnt make it up . Regards Rob

109 Offline
Some dealers are all about making the fast buck, the more bucks the better. What would they do if no one bought their over priced items.
They can't eat it or put in the gas tank. They can't go to the bank and redeem it for cash. They would take a big loss if they could trade it for gold. They can't give to a college for an education for their children or grand children. They can't trade it for medical expenses or even for a burial plot. So,in my opinion if we refuse to pay the price hopefully the prices will drop. Or am I just thinking fantasy?

I don't buy from them, so we have one. Overall though I think it would be fantasy. Since there are seemingly too many people with more money than they know what to do with, so they flush it down the toilet buying a $800 dagger for $1400. Luckily they at least get a dagger endowed with those highly sought after mystical powers Big Grin Which they'll have to hang on too for 20 years to break even on. For most of these dealer money doesn't matter. Sure anyone can retire at any moment and be set for life with there whole inventory in stock.

L
L
I think that there will always be people interested in militaria, I do not however believe that there will be enough to absorb the mass of collectables on the market.

We have been accustomed to the price rises and continued to pay that bit more each time we want something. New people looking at military antiques will almost certainly look the other way when they see the prices demanded for what were mass produced easily available today in large quantity.

If things are slow now it seems logical that it is just a matter of time before it gets much worse.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
B
B
Prices are obviously too high.

Most dealers will tell you that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That market forces dictate value. Bull crap.

If someone with deep pockets is willing to pay $400 for an iron cross, that doesn't mean it's actually worth $400. People forget that there were millions of these made made. Yes some are more rare than others but most are plentiful.

Unlike 30-40 years ago when SA daggers were $50, someone today with a wife, kids, a mortgage and car payments can't afford to pay $1k+ for an SA dagger or any other dagger.

TR dagger collecting is a now a rich man's hobby. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why there are practically no new young collectors coming into the hobby. And why many seasoned collectors are jumping ship.

It's simple mathematics.

"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow"
-Cross of Iron
P
P
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie Brule:
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why there are practically no new young collectors coming into the hobby.

It's simple mathematics.

Well said Bernie, only unscrupulous dealers are trying to make us believe otherwise.
When I read on a dealer's web site, " investment potential ", I really get annoyed, for the lack of a better word. Wink

R
R
Well i feel like a silly goose. Someone asked my opion on this and i guess i was in left feild.But to get on the subject here is my two cents.I think the subject is still going full swing.We do not see it as much because the new internet crowd buys and sells and there is not like the old days of being at a gun show or such.I have several younger people that buy and make payments.One guy bought one i never seen for 2 years i forgot what he even looked like but at a show he stopped up and asked if i still had the dagger which i did he paid in full.The stigma of nazi is pretty much worn off if you go to europe the older people still live it but the younger generation doe not even care about nazi stigma any more.So I do think the younger crowd is there we just dont see it besides someone is buying this stuff. Because i am still selling it. jim

Yes, the internet is a real game changer and a wildcard in trying to pin down buyer demographics.

There are many younger people buying on the internet that fly under the radar, but they are also the first to bail out on a deal if something more important/exotic/interesting (to them!) comes along.

A good example of how the internet has increased prices of Militaria is TK Honor rings. Not that long ago, one could be had in the 3K-4K range. Now most nice examples are in the 8K-12K range!

i dont believe that the internet,per se,has increased the cost of HR's...supply and demand are the reasons here...

I have two thoughts on the internet being the catalyst of higher prices..

When the internet opened up the market for military collectibles, many people found that what they had, what they were looking for or what they were selling was not particularly rare or unusual. In many cases it was common as dirt.In many eyes, those facts should have brought down the prices due to the sheer volume of items available.

The second thought is that perhaps with the market now being opened up worldwide, sellers took the opposite tack and increased prices as a result of supply and demand. Many areas such as North America had the items and prospective new buyers with money lived in areas where they did not, or they did not have the same access to items.

Never forget that German militaria drives this hobby..nothing else comes close in the way of interest, demand and prices.

I think that what the Internet has done is opened up the world to access items, pricing and information.

With it, one is no longer contrained to finding things at local shows or from a select few with paper catalogs.

Prices are driven by supply and demand, true, but only up to a point.

There are many people who have the capacity to buy anything that they want no matter the price. And, in a wired world, these people now have a global reach. So, if someone in Russia really wants a certain item and is willing to pay anything at all for it, he will get it. The problem is that everyone else with that item or a reasonable replica of it will now expect to get this same ridiculous price or better.

How often have we been amazed at the high prices a particular item commanded and then seen tens or dozens of the same item being offered for sale immediatley after hoping to attract the same price? I have overpaid for many an item just to be able to get it. If offered a second copy of the same item, I pass.

But, greed demands that the highest price one has seen or believes one can get will drive the 'list' prices we see going forward.

The true price of an item is a function of how much you are willing to pay for it, how much you want it and how much the person selling it wants for it. And your idea of 'value' is probably very different from mine, not to mention that, over time, this changes for all of us as well.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Yep the world is going to hell in a hand cart. Better sell all your daggers now before they are worthless. Oh by the way let me know what you are selling first Wink

Question? The civil war has ended over 150 years ago and people still collect it? People still collect Armor, and Japanese swords?

My point all markets have highs and lows. Collect what you like and don't worry about the "investment value"

As I read all of the post, i'm a bit unsure where the market will go. I beleive the internet has brought down prices when it first kicked off, but it has leveled since. The Economy has hurt, i'm starting to see hard to find peices being offered for sale. What worries me the Hate Speech laws being passed, internet laws in the works. I'm afraid in the future if your caught having or selling these type of hate items(we all know we are collecting history) that you'll be punished. Just like they did in Germany in early 2000's. So I'm betting on the later and selling everything(but a few items)I have in the near future. I just need a photographer to work for me.

"Germany has concluded a Non-Aggression Pact with Poland... We shall adhere to it unconditionally... we recognize Poland as the home of a great and nationally conscious people."
Adolf Hitler - 21st May 1935

E Rader hit the nail on the head, treat it like a hobby and get what you want and can afford. There are better ways to make money than collecting old war junk! Buying from internet dealers includes the price of their hard work and knowledge; which will easily double (triple?) the cost of an artifact! I will and have made purchases from the internet because sometimes I have the $$$$ and just have to have it NOW, but the most fun for me personally is when I go dig it out of the woodwork! By the way; digging includes, travel, hotels, dining, hobnobbing, adventure, and last but not least the wife, who is getting a pretty serious collection of sweetheart jewelry! HOBBY or Headache YOU decide!
Militaria N Mississippi
John

017ab.JPG (47.13 KB, 423 downloads)
S
S
For those of you that say the WW2 hobby is in trouble and no new blood please explain this...Civil War artifacts are only rising in value and unless you have serious contacts or are as lucky as sin..the harder to find stuff is almost impossible to find...WW1 Canadian and British uniform items are at at all time highs and are increasingly difficult to locate...and all the vets are now deceased...I have attended Canadian shows for over 28 years and I can count on my ten fingers the number of times WW1 Canadian tunics, fieldgear or groupings were offerred at a show....Naploeonic uniforms and headgear are at astronomical prices and highly collected as are Czarist Imperial Russia...price out that stuff...Falklands medals are increasing daily and they are from 1982.....yes Third Reich stuff has taken a hit and this is my belief...those other areas have no stigma dogging them...Third Reich militaria suffers from politics and always will...if you can accept that your hobby of interest will always be victim to this then you can enjoy your hobby and yes you can still make money from it...the last time I went to a bookstore there were more books about WW2 and Nazi Germany than any other....there are still WW2 movies...look at Inglorious Bastards..I was in Paris when it was released and the lineups and poster campaign were huge.......lastly I would rather have an $8000 M-36 SS than a $12,000 number 1 Barbie from 1958 in a box...it is plastic and a toy and made in Japan...and they still sell...c'mon guys...enjoy the hobby...remember 10 years ago when everyone said that the new wave of 3rd Reich medal reproductions would kill the medal hobby??? Already came and went...cheers, Ryan

Ryan, my argument is this; I agree that there are still people buying these items at often inflated prices, but the fact still remains: nearly every single one of them is over 25 and has the money to do so.

I agree with you that it is very uncommon to see WW1 Canadian items..where did it all go?

The involvement of those under 25 in the hobby of collecting militaria is statistically too small to be of any consequence.The real crisis on the horizon will be lack of serious involvement in the hobby.

Sure, there are those that collect for fun and will overpay for their items. There has always been these collectors and there always will be. They are statistically an anomaly as well.

I get out and talk to the kids (when and if they want to talk to an over 40 adult!) and they do not see the point in spending $600.00+ on an army dagger which (historically) means nothing to them.

I suppose we can all speculate as to what will happen, but time will tell.

Online Content
Doug,

There are quite a few kids - I mean under 14 or so - who collect this stuff. I attend all 7 shows in Raleigh and the same ones show up with their fathers show after show. They buy German tinnies and even more US and allied stuff. One is trying to get all the WWII US Army enlisted collar brass and USN trade patches. His brother is going for the ribbons for WWII campaign medals. They look in awe at the daggers and ask good questions.

15-25 ? They are probably into cars, girls, school, girls, summer break, girls, etc Big Grin There are a few, but not many.

You seldom see the younger people at the big shows because those often mean a motel, long trip, etc. That applies to a lot of people under forty as well. Money is tight, and so is vacation time so getting to the big shows is tough.

Dave

G
G
Just some ramblings - it didn't kill the medal area only because the new fakes you can't tell the difference.

GAB ,SWB, Heer visor devices, campaign shields, don't care who you are your fooling yourself if you think you know..
It was only a few months after when that really good GAB book came out that a firm in Warsaw had one in their shop and was making perfect copies. That was years ago!..
Same with EKs,, a Floch from a few years ago are only distinguishable because of the date is slightly high [or is that low Razz] and the mark on the pin! come on,,lets guess how good they are now.. I wouldn't take any of them if you gave them to me..

Daggers? I guess the guys specializing in them know what their doing..

Cloth? ,ridiculous. Case in point, last month I sold a early issue Zelt [knowing exactly where it came from] It was returned because [main reason] there were buttons replaced and the pegs painted! imagine that! 5 years of war and he wanted one that would be perfect!
A couple years ago we had a friend that had 2 black PZ wraps that a US vet brought home, they were 100% good. At the MAX [or was it SOS] a expert didn't like the way the eagles were sewn on and proclaimed them 'probably fakes'!

No one can agree 100% on bullion eagles whther they be Heer or SS.

Some of the leather gear is so good that after worn by re-enactors a few years they are indistinguishable from the authentic.

Helmets? give me a break Roll Eyes......

25yr olds want,, Jobs, cash, women, good drugs, fast cars/bikes [not in any official order Wink] You can count the young guys on one hand at the MAX/SOS..

Adults will always collect this stuff. People usually only get burned when they buy strictly as an investment and let others do the homework for them.

"Go east young man"- I suspect looking at the intermediate future, much will be going to Eastern Europe and Russia...that's how many collectors in the age bracket who will liquidating their collections in 5-15 years will recoup and turn profits. Long term- who knows!! My magic 8 Ball hasn't worked in about 20 years Wink

However, don't totally discount younger Americans interest in the war. Many younger men 20-30 are avid watchers of the Military Channel and are actively interested in the war. I think this group is an untapped market which has potential.

German Sabers
S
S
just one thing and I do not disagree with anything written....they are fakes in all areas of collecting where money is involved...reproduction toys, art, civil war and Napoleonic, stamps, coins and even friggin Beanie babies...Hobbies survive... who is collecting all the old cast iron toys and banks, and old dolls from 140 ++ years ago...those that remember and played with them are long since dead.....or the very expensive toys from the 2o's and 3o's? cheers, Ryan

I suspect a further reduction in prices of daggers due to falling euro. I switched to fireamrs of the same period, and that on the other hand, did not see price reduction but auctially price increase. The reason is, the fireamrs cannot be shipped to europe and are trade within US only. With economy without much future, I would not count on any serious increase in edge weapon prices in the near future but decrease with the fall of Euro.
quote:
Originally posted by Swordfish:
"Go east young man"- I suspect looking at the intermediate future, much will be going to Eastern Europe and Russia...that's how many collectors in the age bracket who will liquidating their collections in 5-15 years will recoup and turn profits. Long term- who knows!! My magic 8 Ball hasn't worked in about 20 years Wink

However, don't totally discount younger Americans interest in the war. Many younger men 20-30 are avid watchers of the Military Channel and are actively interested in the war. I think this group is an untapped market which has potential.

Many valid points given above. The prevalence of fake and altered items along with highly inflated prices keeps many potential collectors away. Imagine having the desire to start a modest collection, saving up, and buying an item only to discover that you've been had. It has happened to all of us, but at today's prices the sting will sour the new guys and drive them away.
Ask yourself - what have you done to encourage new collectors? Have you tried to help any with initial purchases? Have you offered the benefit of your experience? Have you perhaps given a new collector an item which you could spare to fire up their interest?

Just my 2 cents...Mike

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
The strange thing is, that even with the availability of the war merit crosses, there seems to be no interest in them from younger collectors.

I feel that they are the most reasonably priced 3rd Reich award, and the one that gives you the most bang for your buck.

Mike,
That's a very valid point. Younger collectors have said to me, that they feel the experienced, veteran collectors are unaproachable and they receive cool receptions. Opinions vary, though I do believe there is some merit in the statement. Fostering an interest in the hobby will help ensure that when the time comes, older collectors don't get totally hosed. Those who will be holding onto their stuff for another 30 years...we'll have to see.

** A concern is this: if in the near future items are manufactured to such a degree that it will be difficult to differentiate between good and bad, it could potentially turn interested persons away, simply because they won't take the risk. I personally see this as a possible and significant risk in the future.

German Sabers
Swordfish,
Some items are already being made that are so close to the originals that only true experts can tell. Why? Surely not so that new collectors can buy a representative item at an inexpensive price to "fill the hole" in a collection. No they are designed to deceive and extract the maximum from the unwary newbie.
As for older collectors being helpfull I have had both good and bad experiences. The internet has been a game changer and anyone who seriously wishes to learn can find the tools but the guidance of the experienced collector and his encouragement is what is needed to keep this hobby going.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
Naturally Mike. Look at our friend from Germany cranking out the wound badges and the CCCs. I don't want to digress into a repro discussion, but there are still artifacts that will always be free form uber deception...simply by virtue of the overwhelming # of patterns and variations produced the NS era.....which fortuneatly for me is what my primary collecting interest is.

Tom

German Sabers
What no one really thought of is what it takes to get this stuff.

Yes a common medal is easy to get. But try to get a dagger at a auction. Good luck. I watch uninformed people pay 1000 for a beat up kreigsmarine. Watch the same people pay 55 or more for common tinnies since there is a swaz on it. There is countless examples like this. What once stayed in the area where the item is found is now being offered worldwide. Hell last year I tried getting a gov dagger at a auction. I started the bidding at 300. No one in the crowd wanted it. It was just me and the phone bidder from nc. I made him pay 3000 for a dagger that had problems with the blade.I wanted it for a filler. Out of the 41 daggers I have I dont have a gov or a dip How many people on this forum will sell their collection for less than what the bigger dealers are asking. NONE. The big guys know this. It takes more and more money to get the collectors to part with their items. Hence you have to pay more in the end. Even then it is painful. Even when the more experienced IE old collectors die how many people are after the widow just to be able to buy it. Even if it goes to auction how full is the hall and how many lines are bidding from the internet. Too many.

In my 10+ years of selling and buying antiques I noticed anything historical will hold up over a period of time. As long as they are making movies and writing books there will always be a interest.

Also another factor. American civil war stuff most of it only has interest in the USA. Now look at WWII items. It is not just one country involved. If one country is hurting another is booming. The eastern block is doing well. Hence the russians and the other satellite countries are buying.

Im 31 with a fairly large collection. I have no plans on selling now or in the near future. If anything I am always looking for another piece. Looking for dagger 42. Hell in the past two weeks I picked up a Radom 9mm, one 98k bayonet matching numbers, double proofed hj dagger, short dress bayonet, b-24 bomb site, grouping belong to a tank destroyer in the 66th with his ph, and a legion of merit named. The really great one of a kind stuff is gone but the other stuff is still around.

..and how many of those people at the auction are dealers hoping to score and max out on the profits? Too many.

Relatively no one was interested in these items till the prices started going out of sight.

I get calls 3 and 4 times a week from dealers, antique malls etc looking for 'cheap' Nazi items.

These are the same people that wouldn't give me fair value when I was a young picker with knowledge.They couldn't be bothered.

Out of curiosity,what was the point of bidding up an item you had no interest in? All it does is reinforce the notion that all German items, no matter what the condition , are worth real big money.

I for one, have placed many items on the forum for sale at below dealer cost. The only people who seem to want to buy with any frequency are the other dealers!

We're pricing ourselves out of the market, friends..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176860504
true prices of SAs on gunbroker auctions, please view no reserve auctions, they go for under 500 bucks. Those are real prices, prices what people want to spend on the common dagger.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181721697 or this one. What dealers are asking are greatly overpriced.

I am 27 years old, and I have to agree with Swordfish. I love this hobby and I lap up all the information that I can, but and this is a big but. Some people are very reluctant to share information. This is the typical reponse you get when asking a question on forums on the internet.

"Get a book"

I have all the books, but one thing that I have realised is that many collectors have many different theories on a lot of things in the hobby. Sure there is consensus but when it comes down to the nitty gritties then that is where the trouble begins and the arguments. These types of aspects about the hobby is what I see as factors that can drive new collectors away (it almost did with me). Debate and discussion is great and I think it is awesome that things like this happen, but at what cost?

I think that if people want to invoke more interest in the hobby than rather then push new collectors away (which the the general vibe I get on forums) rather nuture and help them out when they have questions and seek advice. I think the older generation has a responsability to younger collectors to help them through the beginning phases.

If it wasn't for people like Fred Prinz, RedBaron, Krullies etc than I think I would have left the hobby a long time ago. Not trying to single people out but the above mentioned have been great helps in the past.

Originally Posted By: F.Smuts
If it wasn't for people like Fred Prinz, RedBaron, Krullies etc than I think I would have left the hobby a long time ago. Not trying to single people out but the above mentioned have been great helps in the past.

Hey, HI François

I'm, WOW ... well, honoured? To see ME listed there ... Next to Fred?

Is that a typo? Anyway, no, THANK YOU, so much! But, ofcourse, Im GLAD to be of help? But Im new'ish like you.

I discussed books once, on another forum, with someone who's name I see here? But we lost track I guess ... books are great? But, like school, when you go OUT, the world is NOT like in books! Books give a great startingpoint, if used in the right way, and so NOT as absolute truth? I mean, you need some basics, like terminologies, and names, and types, and shapes, forms, sizes + whatnot. But ALSO, you NEED friendlies! People that help.

I came with NOTHING, but a few things, with swastikas? I mean, WTF iz THAT? I came for info, 'cause I wanted to sell, what I need old nazi warcr*p for anyway? So, no antiquesshop gave any substantial money, so, I figured, use internet to find out WHAT the hell it was? And, wow, many people collecting this stuff??? Wasnt hard to find WAF. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Anyway, people were sorta helpful, up to a point, and I guess my configuration only helps negatively. BUT, some VERY VERY awesome people out there, helped me on the way. Not only, to give info point blank, but also, to point to were to look? Or HOW to look? I could name a few names, that TRULY helped SO MUCH, and that are SUCH great people, but Id be a namedropper, and I dont wanna be.

So, YES, books, thumbs up to those! But also, to those helping people n00bz, like me, who have no clue. Now, I know, girls think differently, and maybe slower on the pick up of things + stuff? And if were not, then, who da hell do we silly women think we are anyway, this is a manly mens domain, right?

So, even more, Im grateful to all those that inspired me to tag along. Along the way, theres GREAT fun in this! Also great grief, if youre careless, but thats something totally different. Oh, and ALSO, you need to know when to not stick yer nose into something *LOL* Theres a LOT of headbashing going on, not always below surface even. Im not understanding any of that. But, maybe, I will, some day, still, not intending to grow up, as I want FUN with this, so, possibly never. Oh, ofcourse, we girls chitterchat much, too *LOL* Some of us, some days, anyway

Lets have fun François, keep the good, loose the bad
Karin-Renate

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
I agree, only Russians can buy for a decent price. This hobby will die out in a short period of time. Sooner or later, people wont remember about WWII in US. In Russia, it will take more time but it will happen eventually as well. In China they do not care about WWII German Items at all. How many people collect swords from Middle Ages? Not many I assume. Same will happen to the daggers and swords. The situation with the firearms from WWII is different, I think. I started collecting firearms that were used by Nazis, and the prices were not that influenced by Eastern Europe and Russia, since it is much more difficult to ship or transport the firearms. So as investment and as hobby, firearms collecting has much brigher future here. If you compare a thousand dollars common SA (yes different makers) but just an SA they made millions of them and a PPK for the same price, PPK or PP or a Hi Power will hold much more value. We are talking the same price here. Guns are even lower. For the price of a chained SS, I can buy an SS Sniper Rifle. Which is really rare and always can be sold here. IMO of course. I will try to sell my daggers to Russia while they have interest in daggers. The market is very weak here and I would not want to take a loss. Neither would any of you guys.

Last edited by Oleg1; 08/06/2010 09:27 PM.
Lots of people taking losses these days Oleg..there are many collections coming onto the market right now.

Daggers and musty old tunics mean zilch when the mortgage is due or the kids want meals on a consistent basis and that is the shame of it.

It can be a guessing game..hold on longer to maximize your profit, or be forced to go all in with a below market price.This, in order to get what you can before the market floods and your items lose most of their value.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern), 347 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod