Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9260 04/17/2010 06:10 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Hello, I'm new to the fourm and hope someone can ID this dagger. I have searched the web and cant find a dagger blade made by Hackman & Co. I know they made some bayonets and the 2- fmous Vietnam knives as well as cutlery. I can only upload 1 picture at a time so I will describe it. It measures 15 inches end to end without scabbard. The double edged blade is 10 1/4 in. and handle is some type of plastic.The tang is stamped " HACKMAN & C0. over SORSAKOSKI. I found that that is a city in Finland where they had a plant. The brass pommel is engraved with a crown with a cross on top over script fancy J C Oover II and a star in the leaf border. I think it may be Russian or is it a fantasy dagger. Thanks viking-rune

#9261 04/17/2010 06:53 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

I think we need a photos or a scan.

Is that possible?

#9262 04/17/2010 07:10 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Thank you. I have to charge camera battery and will post pics in about an hour. I dont know how to set jpeg size on my new camera yet and the file is to large to upload.

#9263 04/17/2010 09:00 PM
V
OP Offline
V
I can't get pictures set low enought to upload. Any ideas?

#9264 04/17/2010 09:29 PM
Send the jpg file to [email protected] and I will resize it for you.

#9265 04/17/2010 09:33 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Trying again

#9266 04/17/2010 09:49 PM
V
OP Offline
V
more

#9267 04/18/2010 12:23 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Thank you Jim W. I will send them.

#9268 04/18/2010 12:52 AM
Here are the photos.

The Royal monogram is on the dagger pommel.

dagger_5_002.JPG (55.13 KB, 424 downloads)
#9269 04/18/2010 12:53 AM
The grip should be a type of ivory.
Photo 2

dagger_5_001.JPG (54.89 KB, 421 downloads)
#9270 04/18/2010 12:53 AM
photo3

dagger_5_003.JPG (64.55 KB, 401 downloads)
#9271 04/18/2010 12:53 AM
Photo 4

dagger_5_004.JPG (80.88 KB, 398 downloads)
#9272 04/18/2010 12:54 AM
Photo 5

dagger_5_005.JPG (68.53 KB, 396 downloads)
#9273 04/18/2010 01:02 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Thank you for posting the pictures. The handle looks to be a type of plastic. The scabbard is missing one ring. Besides country of dagger I would like to know why I cant find a Hackman & Co. dagger after searching the www for hours. Thanks to all

#9274 04/18/2010 08:15 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Has anyone seen a dagger by Hackman & Co. before?

#9275 04/18/2010 10:01 PM
I went through my Russian books and their maker marks. I can not find this maker. Even though the book has an addendum with Russian makers.

Because the grip is not ivory, and because this maker is found no where, I think you have to face the possibility that your dqagger is a reproduction.

Where did you get the dagger?

Jim

#9276 04/18/2010 10:20 PM
Arguably, Finland was at one time under Russian control, but Hackman is a Finnish cutlery maker (of German descent) with a long history. Who at different times made bayonets, knives, misc. cutlery etc. etc. Sidenote: Circa WW II vintage Hackman Finnish Army (SKY) bayonets are not marked like this dagger, and the company is still in business.

I know that the Russian Federation (post Soviet) has adopted the old Imperial coat of arms. But as far as I know, the cipher of the last Tsar (Nicholas II) is not a part of that �package�. While not 100% the same as those found on period Imperial Russian officer�s sabers - the cipher (monogram) is that of Nicholas II of Russia. I have a late 19th century Russian naval dagger from the Russian arms factory at Zlatoust (with an ivory grip) that looks nothing like this dagger.

From what I am seeing - to me it looks like a relatively recent attempt to create or market a modern production naval style dagger. That in the process - has somehow acquired an Imperial era cipher. FP

#9277 04/19/2010 12:51 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks to Jim W and Frogprince for this information. I think that your both right. I got this dagger from a collection of a deceased WW2 Vet. Along with this dagger I got a 2nd model Eickhorn Luft with hanger and portepee,a Eickhorn army with hanger and portepee and a Curt Hoppe SA dagger with leather hanger. The German daggers are in super condition and authentic. The cousin of the Vet didnt know what it was or were his cousin got it. I pretty much got this dagger as a freebee. Thank you

#9278 04/19/2010 06:13 AM
There were russian dress daggers made by Hackman.

2 Viking-rune: What happened with the other ring? Are you sure the handle is ivory? On the photos it does not look like one, but it just might be the pictures.

#9279 04/19/2010 10:58 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Hello, Jim W said it should be a type of ivory. I said it looks like a type of plastic. The other ring was gone when I bought the daggers.

#9280 04/19/2010 05:07 PM
I don't doubt that Hackman could have made daggers for the Soviets, or the Russian Federation. But unless they have gotten really, really, sloppy with their workmanship/attention to detail. This thing IMO is a fake/forgery (ie: altered). First image: a Russian coin from 1900 showing the cipher/monogram.

#9281 04/19/2010 05:07 PM
Second image; On the top we have marks from what looks like a set of pliers. Below it a misshaped Russian �N� with special attention to the right side. Also note that the letter is not centered that well under the crown. There are some other flaws, but I think you get the point that it�s poorly done. As for the star, I don�t remember it being on the period (Imperial era officer) sabers. But I will have to take a look this evening to be sure. Regards to All, FP

altered_dagger.jpg (91.06 KB, 286 downloads)
#9282 04/19/2010 05:59 PM
How can you compare coins and daggers? Eek

#9283 04/19/2010 06:22 PM
Lwov, he is using the coin as an example of what the Tzars monogram should look like.

I find the example excellent. I myself looked for one and could not find anything this nice.

Jim

#9284 04/19/2010 06:45 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks Frogprince, I see what your saying about the top nut and the star. I found a auction of the Forbes collection of Faberge eggs and a box and the Nicholas II monogram was exactly like my dagger pommel less the star. It looks more like J C instead of JJ. I also saw the monogram like mine for Nicholas II on other sites as well as the way it is on the coin. There must have been 2- variations.

#9285 04/19/2010 06:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim W:
Lwov, he is using the coin as an example of what the Tzars monogram should look like.

I find the example excellent. I myself looked for one and could not find anything this nice.

Jim

Jim, that is exactly what I meant. How can you compare a monograms from the coin to a monogram on the dagger.

Daggers were made by various makers, including private order daggers. Buy the way dagger's fittings might have been made by a third party.
Yes, the monogram is different, I would say totally different, and they could not have been the same. So how this comparison help us?

I do not mean this particular dagger. All I am saying is that you cannot compare apples and oranges.

#9286 04/19/2010 07:15 PM
I'm fairly certain that the "N" on Imperial sabers is the "JJ" (a mirror image) type, but can't confirm that at the moment. But even without that, this should be an easy one to resolve. I think that it is safe to say the Soviets would never have permitted the Tsar's monogram on a Soviet naval dagger. So the question is: Do current manufacture/issue Russian Federation naval daggers have the last Tsar's monogram on them? If not, then it's a fake. FP

#9287 04/19/2010 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Prinz (aka "Frogprince"):
I'm fairly certain that the "N" on Imperial sabers is the "JJ" (a mirror image) type, but can't confirm that at the moment. But even without that, this should be an easy one to resolve. I think that it is safe to say the Soviets would never have permitted the Tsar's monogram on a Soviet naval dagger. So the question is: Do current manufacture/issue Russian Federation naval daggers have the last Tsar's monogram on them? If not, then it's a fake. FP

Fred, may I ask you what do you collect?

What does this dagger has to do with soviet daggers or current russian dagger?

Why are you keep comparing things which by definition cannot be compared to.

Respectfully,
Lwov

P.S. FYI current russian daggers do not have a tsar's monogram on it.
It looks like you do not have a clue what the monogram on the dagger means.
Yet you are making such unappealable statements as to the originality of the dagger.

P.P.S. As I said earlier I am not saying that this particular dagger is original period.

#9288 04/19/2010 08:36 PM
Great Points Lwov,,

Lwov, what is your opinion on this dagger?

Who do you believe the monogram is?

I value your opinion. I am going by the materials of the grip which is not correct and the proliferation of fake Imperial daggers.
I suspect you have much more knowlege about this.

Thank you

Jim

#9289 04/19/2010 09:34 PM
Lmov,
Most respectfully I would answer to you that don�t be fooled by my GDC avatar. It reflects only some, but not all, of my interests. And while I am not as active in them as I once was, I did seriously collect Russian arms in most categories (with fully automatic weapons not being one of them).

I agree that there is no comparison, as I have Imperial era daggers, but this dagger is not one of them. And we will see this evening how the monogram posted compares to unquestionably Imperial time period items.

In any event, I�m always open to new information, and if I am mistaken I want to learn. So I would repeat Jim�s questions: ...... �what is your opinion on this dagger? Who do you believe the monogram is?�
Again most respectfully,
Fred

#9290 04/20/2010 02:30 PM
Fred,

My inquiry as to what you collect was just a rhetorical question. I did not mean to question your knowledge on the subject we�re discussing here. My interest in same as yours cut to the chase and learn something new.

As to the monogram and its purpose: it was to reflect the time period during which the one who bears the dagger became an officer. For example, if the monogram is of Tzar Alexander that means that the officer�s rank was earned when Alexander was the emperor, even if the dagger is issued and made later on and another tzar � N II � was in place.

As to the dagger. I would not state so categorically that it is 100% fake. It might be parts dagger, for example. Usually, in hand inspection is the best way to make a determination on the authenticity of such items as this. Especially, because the fakes are widespread and sometimes are very well done. Having said that, I would say that there are concerns about authenticity of this dagger.

#9291 04/20/2010 05:40 PM
Lmov,

No offense intended, but as to the dagger posted being Imperial era, I have a lot more than just "concerns". In fact my guess is that if a Hackman, it might have been made using techniques that did even exist at the time of the Russian monarchy.
quote:
As to the monogram and its purpose: it was to reflect the time period during which the one who bears the dagger became an officer. For example, if the monogram is of Tzar Alexander that means that the officer�s rank was earned when Alexander was the emperor, even if the dagger is issued and made later on and another Tzar � N II � was in place.

I don�t have a problem with that. For multiple nations, when the old monarch died they did not make officers go out and buy new sidearms. Especially when you consider the fact that sometimes the new monarch might only reign a short time which happened from time to time. Although I can say that I�ve see Imperial era Russian swords where the monogram was filed off during the Soviet era.
quote:
....As to the dagger. I would not state so categorically that it is 100% fake. It might be parts dagger, for example. Usually, in hand inspection is the best way to make a determination on the authenticity of such items as this....

There are �parts� daggers, and then there �other kinds� of parts daggers. For TR blades the first type might simply be a parts swap to upgrade a scabbard or crossguards, using period parts from another dagger. What I am seeing more of now for TR types, is an admixture of different postwar blades, grips etc. From different batches of fakes put together with maybe a sprinkling of original period parts. Thereby altering the combined characteristic �signatures� (if you will) of already known batches of fakes. To create a new dagger trying to escape detection. For myself with creations of new and old parts, I consider the whole thing to be a fake because of the addition of major component postwar parts. However, I do agree that sometimes with �parts� daggers you have to have them in hand to make a better determination. But with some daggers that have obviously postwar parts (seen via the Internet) you can just look at them and tell that they are fakes.

Having said all that: Late Soviet blades are past my cutoff point. But if someone says to me that Hackman in Finland made new production daggers for the post WW II Russian Navy I would be OK with that. It seems reasonable, and I have no information to the contrary. So my problem is not with what is below the pommel cap. But with the pommel cap itself. That is the result of an attempt to somehow make this an Imperial era dagger, which it is not .

PS: I did look at one of my sabers last night, and found out that it actually has the �JC� configured �N II� monogram. But that is about the only thing that matched. Almost all of the details are different - with some of them being significant.

I even thought about posting an image for comparison purposes. But over time I�ve seen so many guys post TR daggers for comment. When what they were really looking for was how to make �product improvements�. So I decided against it. PLEASE NOTE: That was a general comment only, and NOT directed at anyone specific.

Fred

#9292 04/20/2010 07:15 PM
quote:
So my problem is not with what is below the pommel cap. But with the pommel cap itself. That is the result of an attempt to somehow make this an Imperial era dagger, which it is not .

Fred

Fred,
So what you are saying is that the pommel with the monogram is fake and otherwise the dagger is good.
Did I understand you correctly?
P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.

#9293 04/20/2010 08:16 PM
quote:
Fred,
So what you are saying is that the pommel with the monogram is fake and otherwise the dagger is good. Did I understand you correctly?
P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.

Lwov,
On April 19th you said: �Daggers were made by various makers, including private order daggers . Buy the way dagger's fittings might have been made by a third party. Yes, the monogram is different, I would say totally different, and they could not have been the same. So how this comparison help us?�

There are German made Imperial Russian swords, so why not?

Now you say: �P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.�

Which is it??? Are Soviet daggers only from Zlatoust, and this is a converted Russian Federation dagger?

You now ask: �So what you are saying is that the pommel with the monogram is fake and otherwise the dagger is good. Did I understand you correctly?�

I said: �Having said all that: Late Soviet blades are past my cutoff point. But if someone says to me that Hackman in Finland made new production daggers for the post WW II Russian Navy I would be OK with that. It seems reasonable, and I have no information to the contrary. So my problem is not with what is below the pommel cap. But with the pommel cap itself. That is the result of an attempt to somehow make this an Imperial era dagger, which it is not.

I don�t claim any expertise with late Soviet blades. The Soviet saber posted below is near my cutoff point. I know that the pommel is a fake, or an altered original. As for the rest of the dagger: Quite frankly I don�t know (or really care). If it has fake major components, as far as I'm concerned it�s just another fake. What exactly is the point you are trying to make, and does that answer your question?
Fred

Soviet_Shashka.jpg (38.41 KB, 276 downloads)
#9294 04/20/2010 10:43 PM
quote:
[QUOTE]Fred,
On April 19th you said: �Daggers were made by various makers, including private order daggers . Buy the way dagger's fittings might have been made by a third party. Yes, the monogram is different, I would say totally different, and they could not have been the same. So how this comparison help us?�

There are German made Imperial Russian swords, so why not?

Now you say: �P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.�

Which is it??? Are Soviet daggers only from Zlatoust, and this is a converted Russian Federation dagger?

Fred,
To your amusement its BOTH. The only difference is that the FIRST statement is true for Imperial daggers (as it was the subject of our discussion). And the SECOND statement is true for post WW II soviet daggers. Isn't that obvious from my posts?

quote:

As for the rest of the dagger: Quite frankly I don�t know (or really care). ......What exactly is the point you are trying to make, and does that answer your question?
Fred

After two pages of discussion on the subject, this statement you've made I like the most. And this answers all my questions.

At this point it does not make any sense to continue our discussion as being unproductive.
It was a pleasure, best regards. Smile

#9295 04/20/2010 11:15 PM
So, everyone agrees that this dagger isn't the high point of any collection.

Interesting points made by all.

#9296 04/20/2010 11:24 PM
Lwov,

If I got it right, what you are saying in your own way is that you knew the dagger posted was a fake from the beginning. And you just wanted to know if anyone else could figure that out?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but who was the one who made this statement?
quote:
"It looks like you do not have a clue what the monogram on the dagger means. Yet you are making such unappealable statements as to the originality of the dagger."

Is it just me, or am I sensing a factual disconnect here?

Take care, Fred

PS to Jim: An interesting discourse, with your observations/questions right on target. If nothing else it prompted me to become a little more educated with postwar manufactured blades. And if Lwov has some insight on more recent manufacturing operations at Zlatoust, I for one would be interested in learning more about them.

#9297 04/21/2010 07:04 PM
quote:
If I got it right, what you are saying in your own way is that you knew the dagger posted was a fake from the beginning. And you just wanted to know if anyone else could figure that out?

Not quite.
First, I would consider this disrespectful as to others (unless, of course, I specifically disclose at the outset that I am not going to tell you my opinion, but you would have to figure out yourself).
And second, trust me, I have enough things to do other than creating puzzles for forum members here, and making them figure out why?

As to the subject dagger my position remains the same: good pictures and/or in hand inspection would be the only option here.

#9298 04/21/2010 07:54 PM
quote:
And if Lwov has some insight on more recent manufacturing operations at Zlatoust, I for one would be interested in learning more about them.

Fred, it is as simple as that: As I said earlier all post WW II soviet daggers were made at Zlatoust by the same maker. The maker's mark on the ricasso changed three times because the factory changed its name.

here is the picture of these marks. the year underneath the mark is the year the dagger was made.

CCCP_maker's_mark.jpg (6.62 KB, 231 downloads)
#9299 04/21/2010 08:59 PM
I wish I had bought those daggers with the 1946 era TM. For some reason I did not know the value would be based on production year, but the fact is, values are.

So, everyone has made their points. I appreciate all the input. and that everyone is playing nice.

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,498 SS Bayonets
1,764,501 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,325 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Cameron - 05/11/2024 09:53 AM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:23 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Gaspare - 05/11/2024 12:15 AM
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/10/2024 10:51 PM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by Cameron - 05/10/2024 10:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,202
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dave, Mat J, Billy G., Duzig, Documentalist, Sasha, ollar, Baz69, Don Scowen), 505 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod