Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I just thought I'd plug this auction of mine . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130052240780

Good opportunity to acquire Don's book, as I started the bidding at 9.99, so the book WILL find a home! Lets see if Ebay ends this one?

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com
Craig... Please tell a bit about your H.R. book, how different it will be from Don's, new discoveries, information, suggested retail, etc?

Don's is a great book which broke new ground in the field.

NOW WAIT A MINUTE AND HOLD ON!!!

Craig, you say,"I just thought I'd plug this auction of mine" "ON E-BAY" "so the book WILL find a home"

You are the pioneer and you began GDC and obviously you're taking advantage of the good will extended to you by the authorities that be, however, you disregard GDC and don't post your offering in the 'free ads' forum which perhaps is due to you not being a supporting and 'premium member'

Hmmmmm. "the book will find a good home", or should it be more correctly stated, the hell with the "premium members" and the hell with GDC and get the most that I can for myself.

hmmm. There seems to be a pattern here. May I ask, exactly what kind of a person does things like this?

By the way, your e-bay auctin is doing quite well and to your aims and content.

John

PS.

Is it allowed according to the rules of conduct and procedures that we all can plug our e-bay auctions by posting here on GDC?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John, there are no auctions on GDC. I think if Craig put a price on it one of two things would happen, he would have to either
(1.)give it away for some low dollar amount or
(2.)some would feel Craig was screwing them if he asked what the book has recently sold for.
He can't win no matter what and at the end of the day, most of us (especially of your caliber) have probably owned these books for years and know everything in them.
I surely don't want to cause any ill feelings here and this is purely my own thinking. It may be wrong thinking, but that's my true feelings. Craig sent me two free "Germany at War" DVD's to watch during my long recovery from a quadrunner accident last week, so this guy is not all about money.

Warm Regards,

Mark Big Grin

John ... You may have a point here. I have a copy of Don's book signed to me and, I know that I would not offer it for sale at any price.

I understand that Gaspare is also coming out with an excellent book however, as I understand it will not just be on the H.R. rings but, on rings in general.

John ... I'm not a Premimun member here however, I believe you're correct with your assessment of the situation and that Mark may possibly be missing the point you're making here?

Mark,

Craig's nice, humanitarian or 'good business' gesture in sending you the DVD's is commendable. I also wish you a speedy, painless and full recovery.(I've also been there many times)

Concerning your thoughts about Craig listing the book here on GDC at 'the going rate' and then bearing the brunt of persons saying that he "was screwing them", by Craig's own admission, his prices on his web site are notoriously highly priced due Craig's expectations and business procedures therein. However, I would imagine that he is only too willing and accepatble to bear the brunt of any persons saying that "he is screwing" them. As such, I see no merit in your thoughts.

Mark, I also sincerely don't wish to purvey any ill feelings toward yourself nor anyone else and you are certainly entitled to your thoughts, however, concerning my feelings and thoughts, I remain adamant and as stated.

Regards,

John

There's one going for a lot less on ebay, ending in less than 3 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-SS-Totenkopf-Himmler-Honor-ring...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

G
G
Tough crowd Big Grin
What I'm reading is that John has a problem with a member plugging his own auction that is not a Premium member,,which is against the CoC..

From what I remember even though Craig is not the site owner anymore that he still has Moderator privileges. That being true [to the best of my memory] Craig has the right to promote his auction advertisement on any of the forums here...I will double check and if I'm mistaken I'll remove the ad...,G.

B
B
Moderators have the right to promote their auctions on the forums...Is this true??? Confused
I have to agree with John on this one.

Weapons Collector
GDC Badge #0136
Gaspare,

From the above postings, I really don't see a 'tough crowd', that is unless you are hearing something that I am not seeing or perhaps my position is being perceived by some as overly zealous or 'tough'

And no, I don't necessarily have a problem with a person that is plugging his own auction that isn't a premium member although I did point out this curiosity for which I surely felt was worthy of mention for I didn't realize the person in discussion has extended moderator privileges in effect. Also, I didn't realize a moderator has these mentioned unique privileges that you allude to and as such, has liberty with this option although I do know that moderators are afforded 'premium' status absent of paying the associated fees.

I also acknowledge that GDC isn't an auction but I didn't realize moderators (or the privileged) had the option of advertising or touting their auctions else where beyond specifically on GDC.

If so, then I am remiss, I should digress, my comments to be withdrawn and my posting obliterated and I will apologize.

However, all of this aside, my specific point of contention is in regards to the touting of an e-bay auction and the offering of this item via e-bay as opposed and over the merits of offering it here on GDC, in our support and to his constituents who are the ones that have mostly made and embellished his success in this hobby. Surely, those here are the ones that would most have an interest and benefit with this item. However, as said in the final, this may not be the venue, GDC, to evoke the highest price for this person.

Lastly Gaspare, if you will, please clarify and inform those in attendance if according to our CoC if just moderators are allowed to tout their 'auctions' on GDC or are the common membership allowed this entity as well?

Respectfully,

John

G
G
Hi John,,that smile next to 'tough crowd' means I'm kidding around..If it offends you I apologize...

*The one and only perk that I know of for a Moderator is that they can view and list items for sale/want like a premium member* to me that would also include promoting sales on their website and eBay auction..

I already notified one of the Administrators. From the response I got the ad stays.

The decision is certainly no surprise, considering.

So much for the subject's allegiance to GDC and his concern for his fellow man.

In all, my thoughts remain.

John

After all has been said and done, we're back to step one. Personally, I feel the more prudent option would be for Craig to remove the posting himself.

This, in my opinion, is a win, win situation, even though there seems to be a fine line between selling/wants on the forum proper and promoting the same on another auction, using the forum as the catalyst to accomplish this; In this case ebay. Unique privileges, possibly, moral stabilization for other forum members, absolutely not.

Last evening I emailed my good friend Jack Angolia, inviting him to join the GDF. I haven't received a reply yet however, I hope that I did the right thing. Nonsense, like the above does make one think twice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Out of pure curiosity, what price do you think would be fair for Craig to ask for this book if he put it for sale on GDC, knowing what the market will (and has) paid in a free bid situation like on ebay?

I am having a difficult time understanding why he (or any member) cannot operate in a free capitalist manner on this small item. This forum is not the Salvation Army with government cheese for free.

I have strugged with this one and perhaps I am missing the whole point. I must admit I am somewhat heavily drugged from a severe broken leg and I must emphasize that I value and respect all the members and thier opinions above all. So, with that in mind..where is my thinking going off track?

Help me out here...

Mark Wink

A
A
I have pretty much stayed out of controversial issues here but I have to admit that I am also confused along with Mark about this one.
Again; I normally wouldn't say anything but when two people I respect, John Pepera and Craig Gottlieb, seem to be at odds over listing a book for sale I feel I have to ask.
Could someone please explain exactly what the issue is here as perhaps other are also confused?
Jim

I am afraid that I've opened my big fat mouth and meddled where I shouldn't have been.

I apologize to all concerned and hopefully I haven't harmed any friendships or hurt any feelings with my apparent meandering thoughts.

John

I believe, in essence, what has been alluded to is that it may have been a wiser decision to offer this book to forum members through the "For Sale" section, not having to bid against the entire collecting community for it.

It has been said that how would it have been able to be priced? Well, in my mind that would be simple. Forget about what it may be selling for elsewhere or what it has sold for in the past and simply ask an amount reasonably higher than what you have paid for the item. If this is done, the hobby will be better for it and prices would not be as exorbitant as the are. This goes for any item, not just the book in question.

BTW... I just checked and the other one on ebay is still only at 99.95, signed, with no bidders yet and only about 2 days to go, for anyone interested.

R
R
hey if its for sale let everyone know Big Grin you don't have to buy it .....E

D
D
Edited for personal insults.

Duke, I think you may have got the wrong forum if you want to post stuff like that. Dave

I can't believe that some idiots bid that other book on ebay to 203.50 however, the shipping is only 4.15 -- Some consolation. Looks like Crag's is cheaper now at 197.50 (hasn't closed yet) but, the shipping of 10.00 seems a bit steep?

Grab it while it's hot as it may not pass this way again! Big Grin

What I don't understand is that if these books go for over $200.00 all the time, why dosen't Boyle just come out with a new edition of the same book and take all that money for himself?

Chief

"Gott Zur Ehr Dem N�chsten Zur Wehr"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many pages long is this book, does anyone know off hand? JohnJ

quote:
Originally posted by JohnJ:
How many pages long is this book, does anyone know off hand? JohnJ

8.5" X 11", Hard Cover Bound, 140 pages.

quote:
Originally posted by Chief:
What I don't understand is that if these books go for over $200.00 all the time, why dosen't Boyle just come out with a new edition of the same book and take all that money for himself?

Chief

Chief,

I wish that Don would publish another book, it would surely be a blessing to the hobby! There are very few who could add any new information. IMHO, The only thing I can see them doing would possibly be infringing on what has already been published. The copy I have is the third printing of Don's book -- No.212 out of 250. The original retail price of this third printing was $44.50 U.S.--And well worth it!

P
P
well personally i don't see anything wrong with craig putting it up for auction. just let the market decide how much to pay for it, rather then setting an extravagant price. its fun and healthy. if there is demand prices would go up. can't blame the buyers or bidders. after all the book is out of print. even if offering top dollar, very few owners would put their copy for sale.

RichardKimmel wrote :

"I can't believe that some idiots bid that other book on ebay to 203.50 however, the shipping is only 4.15 -- Some consolation. Looks like Crag's is cheaper now at 197.50 (hasn't closed yet) but, the shipping of 10.00 seems a bit steep?"

well richard your words here don't sound very gentlemen, quite crappy and insulting. whats wrong with bidders bidding to that price if they have the money to buy? where could we buy this book now at $44.50? are you selling it at that price? If it can't, of course the price would drive up, its all about supply and demand.

quote:
Originally posted by panzerrings:
RichardKimmel wrote :
"I can't believe that some idiots bid that other book on ebay to 203.50 however, the shipping is only 4.15 -- Some consolation. Looks like Crag's is cheaper now at 197.50 (hasn't closed yet) but, the shipping of 10.00 seems a bit steep?"

well richard your words here don't sound very gentlemen, quite crappy and insulting. whats wrong with bidders bidding to that price if they have the money to buy? where could we buy this book now at $44.50? are you selling it at that price? If it can't, of course the price would drive up, its all about supply and demand.

You're certainly entitled to you opinion and,I could easily get into a discussion with you on this but, to answer your question in a "gentlemanly" way, NO I would not sell my copy of Don's book because it contains personal words written to me by Don.

However, if I had a second copy, the answer would still be NO. Don was kind enough to sell me a copy for the original selling price and, should he had done the same with a second copy ... I would offer it for what I paid for it to a deserving collector, not try to make a killing on it! No matter what the current market is on the book.

You see, Don published his book to help collectors, not to get rich! Don is all about helping collectors, a fact which many will attest to.

My question to you now is ... Would you do the same?

Chief,

I believe Don is seriously considering a new edition of his book currently.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
quote:
Originally posted by Billy G.:
Chief,

I believe Don is seriously considering a new edition of his book currently.

Hi Billy... Wouldn't that be great! I know that he's been considering this for a while now and, being Don's friend and staunch supporter here on the forum, I know that I shall do all that I can to help promote his efforts.

I can always attest to the fact that Don is not just all about Don but, is about helping his fellow collectors. "Good will come to those who do good, and justice to those who do not." I don't recall who said that however, it seems appropriate for some instances I've been observing at late.

G
G
Guys, auctions over.
Congrads to the new owner..

This topic serves no purpose at all here. Unless I get emails in protest ,,I'll leave it up another day or so then delete it..,G.

Gaspare

This subject obtaining 657 hits so far is evidence that the topic is being well observed and received by the membership.

I would think that the membership would be deserved and more better served if the posting remained as an example and testament of the "Good Will" and concern one man can have toward a fellow collector or member or more so as in this case, the disregard as such.

HOWEVER, if you or perhaps another, may feel that this subject as compared and over many others " serves no purpose at all here", then obviously, you have the power to remove it.

Hence, I do see a purpose and myself, I would opt to have the posting remain as I alluded to above.

John

V
V
oh comeon, you all know you would have seen his auction on ebay sooner or later anyway. who cares if he posted a link to it?

M
M
I see no problem with Craig listing his ebay auction here. It may serve to benefit Craig but it also serves the members here who may be seeking a copy of this rarely offered reference. Mike

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Craig only founded this site to start with and is responsible for many people including me being in this hobby today. So what's up? I don't get it, what's the big issue? I thought we were here to talk about collecting Nazi Militaria and have FUN! Smile Big Grin Take care, JohnJ

D
D
wha

M
MRW Offline
M
I have a question.

What is the big deal about Boyle's book?

Is the black one better that the white one?

Sincerely ..

Mike W.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think there is a soft cover edition also. JohnJ

G
G
The color soft covers are the first editions..

The black hard cover is done in black & white, but there is more information in it...,G.

HR.jpg (29.7 KB, 32 downloads)
Craig said he has a book on the TK Ring that he is writting coming out later this year. Any additional books on the subject will be good.

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,531 SS Bayonets
1,764,037 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,652 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/05/2024 05:11 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/05/2024 04:33 PM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 05/05/2024 04:19 PM
The Anatomy of a Fake SS Dagger
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 04:12 PM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:55 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,125
Members7,525
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (C. Wetzel-20609, RookieSA, J.R.Scott, Tanker, OWN, LotusPeddler96, ollar, Jim W, Vern, derjager, benten, Dean Perdue, Mikee, ojje, Documentalist), 594 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod