Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95032 03/29/2007 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of you have seen the photos of my SS Full Rohm. The top of the grip is broken. It is all original to include a sticker of the Big Red 1 that dad put on it after he obtained the dagger in '47.
The question for discussion - Is it better to have a professional restore the dagger or leave it original?
The dagger still has the original burnish. The scabbard is still bluish anodized but with pitting. The crossguards are in excellent condition.
Well guys - what are your thoughts.
And Thanks,

Mike

#95033 03/29/2007 01:50 AM
Z
Z
Cancel

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it" Santayana
#95034 03/29/2007 10:36 AM
S
sdp Offline
S
Leave it original, as it is. (Only my opinion).

#95035 03/29/2007 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by sdp:
Leave it original, as it is. (Only my opinion).

I am leaning that way.

Thanks.

#95036 03/29/2007 03:02 PM
L
L
If my understanding is correct then the dagger was in good condition when your dad got it & the damage is due to post war abuse at some time. If it were me Iwould want to put that right to some extent. Perhaps just a replacement grip? I think it would be justified & you could keep the old grip with it. It is hardly an "untouched" piece since it has sustained post period damage so.... Should you ever sell it to one of the purists they can put the damaged one back on it. Paul Hogle (lakesidetrader.com) Could sort you out with a grip I believe. This would not make any difference to value & you might enjoy it more!

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
#95037 03/29/2007 03:37 PM
N
N
if the damage had occured in 1937 dont you think the original owner would have replaced the grip ? dont put a modern copy grip on the dagger buy a ground rohm eickhorn and swop the grip keep your damaged grip and sell the other parts

#95038 03/29/2007 03:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great ideas - both.
Yes, the damage was caused post WWII.
I like the idea of having a second grip and keeping the original one. That seems to make alot of sense instead of repairing the original.

Thanks,

Mike

#95039 03/29/2007 04:38 PM
FullRoehm, I have watched your comments on this site for some time now. I am rather put off with your approach as I am convinced you only care to maximise your price and have no real interest in collecting.
That being said, you should leave the dagger alone. Only those with an extensive background in restoration should work with this great item.
The blade, while in acceptable condition, could really be improved with educated cleaning. MOST of the marks are improvable, but much care is needed in blade work, especially in the case of an original Roehm.
Next, the Big Red 1 Decal is no real problem and I would leave it alone for now. Should the final collector/owner wish to remove it, it would be rather simple.
Next, the grip is a problem. It should only be replaced with an ORIGINAL Roehm grip by Eickhorn. These do differ from the standard SS grip by Eickhorn and a true match would require an inventory of Ground Roehm's for exact replacement. This could only be accomplished by a dealer who has a vast and ever changing Roehm inventory and time might be required to accomplish a true match with a Roehm having its own problems requiring the matching dagger to be parted out.
Therefore, you should leave well enough alone and expect that to be properly retored the price of selling the dagger by you will suffer from the damage and your inability to truly satisfy the required experience and inventory to make the dagger able to bring the maximum dollar is just not an easy fix.
JMO,
Ron Weinand
Excellent Plus SS Eickhorn Full Roehm Owner

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#95040 03/29/2007 04:40 PM
N
N
hello mike
you could not get your grip repaired properly too much wood is missing and finding an original rune button is all but impossible
you would not be happy with the result a proper collector would spot the repairs and it would cost several hundred dollars
nick

#95041 03/29/2007 06:32 PM
P
P
I agree with Rons post
all the way!!!!

PVON

#95042 03/29/2007 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronald Weinand:
FullRoehm, I have watched your comments on this site for some time now. I am rather put off with your approach as I am convinced you only care to maximise your price and have no real interest in collecting.
That being said, you should leave the dagger alone. Only those with an extensive background in restoration should work with this great item.
The blade, while in acceptable condition, could really be improved with educated cleaning. MOST of the marks are improvable, but much care is needed in blade work, especially in the case of an original Roehm.
Next, the Big Red 1 Decal is no real problem and I would leave it alone for now. Should the final collector/owner wish to remove it, it would be rather simple.
Next, the grip is a problem. It should only be replaced with an ORIGINAL Roehm grip by Eickhorn. These do differ from the standard SS grip by Eickhorn and a true match would require an inventory of Ground Roehm's for exact replacement. This could only be accomplished by a dealer who has a vast and ever changing Roehm inventory and time might be required to accomplish a true match with a Roehm having its own problems requiring the matching dagger to be parted out.
Therefore, you should leave well enough alone and expect that to be properly retored the price of selling the dagger by you will suffer from the damage and your inability to truly satisfy the required experience and inventory to make the dagger able to bring the maximum dollar is just not an easy fix.
JMO,
Ron Weinand

I appreciate your detailed advice and will use it. I have always thanked members for their advice. You are also correct that I am not a collector - I have stated this multiple times.

#95043 03/29/2007 06:44 PM
I have not been happy with most grip repairs I've seen, as they usually have to restain the entire grip. I vote to leave it as is....

John Merling [email protected]
MAX Life member
OVMS Life member(Ohio Valley Military Society SOS)
OGCA Life member(Ohio Gun Collectors Assoc)
NRA Life member
#95044 03/29/2007 09:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by vintagetimenow:
I have not been happy with most grip repairs I've seen, as they usually have to restain the entire grip. I vote to leave it as is....

I have only seen on grip repair and it was really lousy. I am in agreement with you that grip repair is probably not the way to go.

Thanks for the input,

Mike

#95045 06/28/2007 04:39 PM
S
S
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Weinand:
JMO,
Ron Weinand

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,480 SS Bayonets
1,763,971 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,585 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/04/2024 02:14 PM
NSKK dienst dolch
by Dave - 05/04/2024 02:12 PM
Site Down
by Stephen - 05/04/2024 09:38 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Fritz Barthelmess Bavaria Muggendorf SA
by Vern - 05/04/2024 01:07 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,105
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Documentalist, ajax, Dave, C. Wetzel-20609, Dean Perdue, Vern, Skyline Drive, AnatoliyD, benten, ollar, ed773, atis, Gaspare), 562 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod