Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90232 09/26/2006 02:15 AM
OP Offline
I just launched a new web page about Norwegian SS Volunteers. It also has a page on Norwegian Volunteers Helmets.

www.frontkjemper.com

Erik

[Linked Image from img244.imageshack.us]
Hey Erik--
Nice looking Web site. Great photos. Very well done.

Might I suggest that you post the photos to Photobucket or another hosting site. The images will load faster and you won't burn through traffic as quickly.

Very nice, Erik.
Many fantastic pictures and interesting reading.

Eric,
A great website, the page on Kaprolat is outstanding and a read I recommend for anybody interested in WW2 archeology. Can you tell me how far from civilisation this area is and would it normally be covered with snow?, it beggars belief that the fallen had laid for so long and the area resigned to history. Congrats on a very informative site Smile.

WELL DONE...ERIK.GREAT Wink

OP Offline
Thanks for the info Peter. I will look into that. I am new to web design so I am learning as I am going along here.

And to Kaprolat and Hasselmann, this is in a very remote area on the Russian side of the Finnish border. Only visited by loggers. It has to be reached from Russian side and takes quite a lot of planning to get there as there. More of an expedition like trip. Yes, it is covered by snow in the winter.

I have not been there. These photos came to me from a Russian War Historian through Tommy Natedal in Norway.

Erik

J
J
Hallo Erik
I have not seen everything on your web site.
It's probably very good.
But please remove the names of the dead solders next to the pictures of their skull(the Karpolat link).
http://frontkjemper.com/index_files/Page1392.htm
I find it very bad.
And I realy hope these dogtags have been sendt to the Red cross.
And I hope there is no graverobbing involved in the things your you are showing.
Kjetil Gulli

OP Offline
Kjetil, I can insure you that no grave robbing has been taking place at Kaprolat & Hasselmann. Personal items has been returned to the respective families and dogtags and remains have been properly charted. If you read the text, and not only look at the photos, you will see that the excavations at this site is being done professionally and in cooperation with the Russian and German governments as well as with the families.

As collectors we are most concerned about "things" that we collect. For the majority of us they remain "things" with no personal or historical value beyond what we paid for them and what we can get for them the day we sell. I fully realize that these are VERY graphic photos, and the names have been left with the photos to show the personal implications this has had for the soldiers themselves as well as for their families. But may be this will put a "face" to the items we collect.

This is real life and not a fictional movie. The bones of these Norwegian soldiers lay like you see them on the photos as a result of the Norwegian Government being unwilling to put a closure to this dark chapter of Norwegian history. If anyone, including yourself, have a problem with this, I suggest that you contact the Prime Minister of Norway so familes can find peace and the soldiers can be put to rest in Norwegian soil.

Erik

J
J
Hallo Erik
And thanks for your answer.
I still think you should remove the name.
You must remember that this soldier had and still got family.
Just imagine to find a photo like this of some of your family.
And I think you should show some respect to a dead soldier.
And I dont know why you talk about me contacting the prime minister.
Regards
Kjetil Gulli

T
T
Erik, excellent site, really informative, you've shed light on an episode of WWII history I had little knowledge of. Tim.

OP Offline
Sorry Kjetil, don't take it personally. It was not meant that way.

My point is that we all have a collective moral responsibility to take care of our deceased. The Norwegian Government has "washed their hands", with the full knowledge that these named Norwegians lay in the open Russian landscape hiding behind the legal reason they are the responsibility of the German Government. Some of the families contacted the Prime Minister of Norway seeking help to bring the remains back, to no help.

I have chosen to keep the names with the photos so that these images just don't become empty photos of "dead Germans" or faceless soldiers. May be this will make some people think, and may be make some politicians become reasonable. But I do urge anyone who has problems with the way the Norwegian Government has handled this to contact them and let them know they find this unacceptable.

The open Russian landscape is their grave for now. Every grave should have a name. And the Norwegian Government has so far had no problem with this. We shouldn't hide this by trying to "sweep it under the rug."

If someone disgress with me, so it be.

Erik

Hey. What a nice surprise. It's complete! And, very much alive. Very polished and professional looking resource.

I tried signing your guest book, but it started asking me a lot of questions I didn't know the answers to. I'll need you to show me how the next time I stop over.

Again. Nice online publishing.

SSTK Oberbayern
OP Offline
Thanks Stephan! For the Guest Book, just follow the e-mail link on the appropriate page. I'll place it in once received.

Erik

B
B
I totaly agree with Jahmann; Its tasteless and disrespectful to publish these photoes, especialy with the names! I have been in contact with several veterans that was truly chocked, and sad not the least, that someone would do such a thing! I guess that you will hear from them/get a reaction soon. The site aside from this was ok.

OP Offline
R.N:

First of all, if you have any constructive critiscism against the web site I urge you to contact me through the web site and not in a public forum.

Second, and since you have brought it up here, the pictures have as you are WELL AWARE OF been available through a Norwegian language web site for quite a while.

Third, graphic photos of the remains of named Norwegian volunteers have recently also been printed in several books. These are photos much more grotesque where the facial expressions of the dead after being mistreated by Russians are clearly visible. You know this as well.

If anyone has any serious concerns about this I will address it with them in person through my website and if necessary meet with them to discuss my point of view. Please have them contact me through e-mail.

Fourth, I ask you for an explanation why you establish a second profile on this forum to make this posting. Please clarify this, as you are also registered with "Virrvarr". You know this is strictly against the forum rules and will automatically get you suspended. And I should remind you and others here that you have recently been kicked off another forum for doing exactly the same there.

Erik

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very nice site Erik.

B
B
First of all; I have only one profile here on GD:Biber. No I was not suspended for using two profiles,it was only 2 different persons using the same internetline. Pleeeease dont bite over more than you can chew, have you not learned that from your former blunders! Second; I have no interest in "discussing" back and forth with you around this matter, I wrote you a comment to tell my personal opinion, and supporting another Norwegian who pointed at the same thing that I found tastless. And last but not least; I have showed your site to 7 veterans ( and belive me they will spread the "happy message") who was totaly discusted. If you cant take critisisme without coming with attacks against my person then I guess it probably best of all says what a person you are. End of discussion for my part!

J
J
Hallo again.
No hard feelings here Erik.
just wanted you to remove that name.
And I think you understand why.
But we clearly don agree here, thats also ok for me.

just to inform you
I do think you are breaking some law regarding to use that name in a way like you do.
Dont ask me what law , but I think it got to do whit "protecting the individual" (or in norwegian : personvern).

Ok good bye for now.
good luck whit your site, and please give it a second thougth
regards
Kjetil Gulli

Biber said
quote:
"have you not learned that from your former blunders!"
Interesting Biber. For a person with only two (2) posts, you sure have been "hanging around" here quite a while.

And, if Erik has had any, what you call, "Blunders" they can't be as short sited and incompetently unqualified as your own. I can't even say "nice try". It would seem YOU are the one who has bitten off more than you can chew here.

SSTK Oberbayern
B
B
SW;First of all I have not posted "just 2 posts" here on this forum, but hundreds, under my former profile "Virrvarr" I had to change the name because I could not log in after GD had changed to the "Groupee" system, after what I heard there was not just me who had this problem. How you can call me "incompetently unqualified" I dont understand since you dont know me?

The website is well constructed and educational. I think you have done a fine job and while I can understand some concerns, perhaps in the end it will help convince your government to do the correct thing in bringing the remains of those who fought their convictions home to rest.
God bless.
-Mike

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
A-greed.
quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Mike:
The website is well constructed and educational. I think you have done a fine job and while I can understand some concerns, perhaps in the end it will help convince your government to do the correct thing in bringing the remains of those who fought their convictions home to rest.
God bless.
-Mike

SSTK Oberbayern

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,290 SS Bayonets
1,764,333 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,072 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,181
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nietzsche, Vern, Dean Perdue, Mikee), 616 guests, and 103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod