Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
sdp Offline
S
quote:
Originally posted by 3-finger Louie:
I am not finished with the blade yet, but you can see where I am starting to put the grain back into it, and I have put the first coat on the chemical burnish in the motto. I will post another scabbard I am working on also.

I know you're not finished and I/we need to be patient but... how do you go about putting the grain back into a blade?

OP Offline
The grain on the blades was originally formed during the final polishing process. They used huge belt sanders to polish these things out. I reapply the grain with an ultrafine sandpaper and do it by hand. It is very tedious and has to be done just right because the grain has to be absolutely straight perpendicular to the edge! If you get a sand line with the slightest curve, you have to completely start over and do the whole blade again. You don't want a blade that is mirror polished, but you have to get it there first and then do the graining. So, if you make a mistake you have to take the blade back to a mirror polish and then start again. They also had the luxury of not having the Mottos etched until the blade was basically finished. So you only get 1 or 2 chances to get it right before the motto starts to suffer! Lots of fun, lots of sweat and cussing! When I first started, I tried to use a belt sander but after screwing up a couple of nice blades in the blink of an eye, I quit that! In the original polishing process that had six to eight thousands to work with, which may not sound like much but it is visible to the eye.

"Don't crush that Dwarf! Hand ME the Pliers."
Frank Zappa
HI 3 finger Louie, I always thought that the crossgrain was applied by a wheel grinder,I could be wrong.
You have done a really good job on the scabbards,Regards nats

OP Offline
Hi Nats, That is possible, my thought on that is really just speculation, but whatever they used had to be big enough to hit the entire length of the blade at one whack! That is the only way it could have all the graining so precise. And I guarantee that those guys working in the factory wouldn't have taken the effort to line the sanding lines up the way they did if that were not the case. I try to remember that these things were just mass produced items and I would bet that a lot of the guys working on them just wanted to finish the day and get home to momma and a brew! ;^)

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
The posts are not going to come so fast now, as the stage I am at on the blade is just boring sanding and takes time and elbow grease. I will post photos when it is time to change grit on the paper and start working it down. In order to avoid the temptation, I don't even own a power sander of any kind now! But I have a hell of a right arm!

Frank Zappa
Louie,you should get a set of french polishing stones,its much faster,regards nats

OP Offline
Continuation! OK! after 2 days of elbow grease the blade is finished with the first stages of polishing! All that is left is the final polish and re-graining!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
I will post the completed Blade as soon as the next stage is finished. Then We will begin on the grip! Is there anyone still with me at this point?

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
OOPS, I forgot until I took a look at the photo I just Posted. I still need to redo the burnish in the motto! that will be the next photo.

Frank Zappa
Still hanging in .Find it all very interesting. Cool

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

G
G
I'm also with you Louie. I'm anxious to see how the final polish on the blade comes out.

George

GDC # 0191
I to am curious to see the final product myself Wink.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeah Louie...I'm reading every few hours to see what's next. You are a gifted craftsman, thats for sure.

Mark Cool

Louie, I'am watching too! if the scabbard is badly pitted,what do you fill the pits with so as thr finish will adhere to it,the solution only works on bright metal,is that right,Regards Stan

OP Offline
Hi Nats, You are correct, the anodizing only works on bright metal, so any really large pits are going to be there. I use a filler on the small ones (pinpoint size), That I make up out of steel sanding residue mixed with the laquer I use. The laquer I make myself from turpentine and Mesquite tree tears. If you cut a mesquite tree it secrets a resinous substance that looks like amber. I did not learn this from anyone I just always saw these blobs of stuff and figured it would work for something, so I experimented around and came up with this beautiful vegitable laquer. I know it is not originally like what they used, but it really works and dries very hard, I am not sure if other trees do this or not, but I have never noticed it on others. I will take a picture of some tears and post it. OK, I have restored the burnish on the blade and it is ready for the final polish.

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
If you want to know what I use for the burnish, I use regular gun black. After it is dry, I finish it up with a fine tip Sharpie! Sorry, it is nothing exotic for this part! ;^)

Frank Zappa
S
sdp Offline
S
I'm still here watching very interested too Louie, I'm captivated!

Yes very cool stuff going on here.

Fascinating,
Thanks for this information, looking forward to all future posts!
Thanks!!!

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
OP Offline
OK Guys! Here it is! All done! Allow me to quote some comments made with it's first appearance on this forum:

"To me it wouldnt matter if it was real, the condition isnt the greatest and there are lots of better shape ground Rohms out there. So unless its a steal i would wait for a better condition one." Earl 1/04/06

"unless that is a $200.00 dagger, I'd surely pass." Kingtiger 1/04/06

"Dagger is good-condition sucks-" Mike 1/04/06

"As for condition, it is what it is, which is an original that has seen some better days. FP"
Frogprince 1/04/06

Thank you!!, Gentlemen! I will see what I run on next and maybe do it again!

Frank Zappa
Looks 100 times better!!! Wink Try and get some out door pictures of it or closeup's of the blade I would be curious as to how it looks up close and personal, looks great from this distance almost amazing for what it formally looked like Smile

Wow!! Very nice! What a difference!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heck Louie, I'll step up and eat my words on that dagger. I didn't know we had a Michaelangelo in the ranks! That is right up there with the best work I have seen so far. You are very talented and I wish we lived closer. I'd like to hang out with you and learn bikes and blades. My most sincere congratulations on that beautiful job. Are those bikes Indians in your avitar?

Mark Big Grin

OP Offline
Hi KT,

Yessir! the last of the great American Bikes! The one on the left is a 1941 Chief Roadmaster, the one in the back is a 1942 Scout, and the one on the right is a 1936 Chief! Built 'em all myself! Thanks for the kind words!
TFL

Frank Zappa
S
sdp Offline
S
Yes, well done Louie, your work is very impressive. You'll probably pick up some extra work now. Wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Louie, I sent you and e-mail to the address on your profile. Did you get it?

Mark Big Grin

OP Offline
KT! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! When I saw this message, I realized I used an account I almost never use to join this forum! I didn't know at the time what I was getting into and wanted to be able to make an easy, Clean Getaway if neccesary! I have gone there and replied to the many emails waiting there at this point and changed my profile to a more active e-mail account. Now I will answer, and apologize to everyone who is probably wondering why I never replied. Thank you again! Louie

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
I apologize again to all of you and eat my own words about no one welcoming me aboard! I guess I was just trying to live up to my Occupation, as stated in my profile!

Frank Zappa
Wow! Great work! I have a feling that there will be more of these in your future! Wink

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
Nice work Lou,between you and Manfred it's a pleasure to see restoration work.
Cool

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

J
J
Very informative, thanks!

I have made a very nice PDF file on this thread, If 3-finger Louie permits I will upload it and post the link.

3-finger Louie: I added your e-mail address to it so you can use it as reference and promotion for your excellent work.

If you want to see it first I can mail it to you.

OP Offline
No objections from me! And many thanks! 3FL

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
I don't have to see it first, but if you would send it to me, I would appreciate it! Thanks! 3FL

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
I don't think I ever posted the complete "after" pics. so Here they are! Along with an SS dagger I did. 3FL

Image hosting by Photobucket

Frank Zappa
OP Offline
Here is the redone SS!

Frank Zappa
OP Offline

Frank Zappa
Great job louie,
simply amazing!
i think i have a HJ project for you!
whats the price for a HJ job?
paul
(lol that did not look right Eek)

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
OP Offline
Paul, Thanks for the interest! But Please contact me off of the Forum on business! Thanks!
3FL

Frank Zappa
Louie,

What happened to my Special ?

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,269,275 SS Bayonets
1,766,512 Teno Insignia Set
1,135,795 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Baden Police and Customs Official Bayonets
by Fitzer - 06/01/2024 01:17 AM
2 bad or 2 good
by Cameron - 05/31/2024 08:32 PM
Help Please
by Mauser88 - 05/26/2024 11:14 PM
Ferlach Kreisschiessen
by slohunter - 05/26/2024 07:10 PM
U.S. Memorial Day 2024
by Gaspare - 05/24/2024 01:09 PM
Latest New Posts
Baden Police and Customs Official Bayonets
by Fitzer - 06/01/2024 01:17 AM
2 bad or 2 good
by Cameron - 05/31/2024 08:38 PM
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Cameron - 05/31/2024 06:33 PM
EK 2 Round 3
by Dutchman - 05/30/2024 08:01 PM
More stuff..
by Cameron - 05/29/2024 02:19 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,297
Members7,545
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Paul, The_Collector, Jonesy, Mikee, Matarese, Sasha), 85 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod