Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ken N Offline OP
OP Offline
I am dragging out this helmet once again because there are some interesting additions to the story that have been discovered since I first showed it 10 months ago.

* see this thread from last spring; http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/258302...200045743#3200045743

M35_All.jpg (69.51 KB, 503 downloads)
Ken N Offline OP
OP Offline
Some of you might remember it. An M35 DD SS that has two names written into the liner; Max Kolberg and Anton Glaser. Kolberg's name is scratched out so was obviously later issued to Glaser. Through research in the National archives I had obtained documentary evidence that both men served as Guards in Auschwitz Concentration/death camp.

The documents retrieved from the national archives were able to show that both men had served as guards in Auschwitz but these documents shed no further light. I wanted to do further research to add meat to the identification and consequently, to the history of this helmet as well. In the months since I found out who these men were, I have been working through contacts in Moscow to see if there may be some record of them in the EX soviet archives (since it was the red army that over-ran Auschwitz and trucked away any documents found there.) I have since received word from the Russian state military archive that there was nothing found there relating to either of these men.

SS Unterscharfuhrer Glaser (who was the last known owner of this helmet and thus is the focus of my search) was a Sudeten German from a village in what is today, the Czech republic. Soon after the war, almost all the Germans were driven from this area so there was little or no hope of finding any material in the village which he came from. But it seems that Glaser later re-surfaced elsewhere.

Recently, I got word from a collector of Auschwitz-related memorbilia that there was much available information about SS Unterscharfuhrer Glaser. He put me on a correct path and I have since gleaned some fairly interesting info.

Anton Glaser joined the SS in 1938 at 27 years of age. His specific unit is unknown for the pre-war years but in 1940 he was stationed at Lublin, Poland. Transfered to Auschwitz in October of 1940, he was assigned to the 1st Kompanie, SS totenkopf Sturmbann Auschwitz. For the next 15 months, he served as a guard in both the inner and outer cordons around the camp. Later it appears that he was assigned to the motor pool (the motor pool was charged with the job of delivering inmates from the selection ramps to the Crematorium). Sometimes Glaser acted as chauffer to certain officers.

As per the documentary evidence I have, it appears that Glaser was still assigned to the Auschwitz camp as late as April 1944. There is no info on whether he was there up until the evacuation in the face of the advancing red army. There is yet no info on how he ended the war or what were his activities in the years immediately post war.

Glaser surfaced again in 1960. Living in Darmstadt and working as a salesman, he was called by the authorities to aid in identification of one of the Auschwitz camp adjutants; Robert Mulka who was facing prosecution. In 1965 Glaser was again summoned by the authorities to testify in the infamous Auschwitz trials that were taking place in Frankfurt from 1964-66. There is a book published in 1967, "Auschwitz - A Report on the Proceedings Against Robert Karl Ludwig Mulka and Others Before the Court at Frankfurt", by the author Bernd Naumann.

Bernd Naumann describes Glaser as "Unabtrusive, insignificant, neither clever nor particularly stupid, neither brave nor cowardly, neither sly nor candid. A family man fifty-three years old, he seems a man like any other".

In this book, Glasers testimony is examined. In general questions regarding his own activities and those of others that he witnessed, he seems evasive at best. A liar at worst.

At one point in the trial, evidence is shown placing Glaser as a member of an execution squad in a specific incident of the murder of 20 inmates. First he feigns ignorance then later claims the number of murders to be 3 instead of 20. He acknowledges that his name is on the list of accused killers but offers no further information (apparently because of lack of further evidence, he is not pressed about this particular instance)

As far as his service in the motor pool, the author of the book states that Glaser was at one point a chauffer and admitted to at least one instance of driving the SS "officer of the day" to the railroad ramp where the selections took place. At the trial, Glaser testified that he saw "how prisoners were unloaded [from the trains], how they handed in their baggage, undressed and went into the gas". Again, he is evasive in the questioning and provides little detail. He actually backs up a bit and later testifies that he didn't actually see these events but just heard about them.

Nothing is yet known regarding Glaser after the end of the Frankfurt trials. He would be 95 years old today so in all probability he has since died.

I will keep digging to see what else may come to light about Glaser. So far, I have found nothing regarding the other man Kolberg, who was earlier issued this helmet.

S
S
absolutely staggering what you`ve found ken, well done. it must send a shiver up the spine when handling the helmet, if artefacts could talk.....

That is the stuff I love about collecting putting a name on an artifact it makes it so much more real and it connects you with that part of history weither famous or infamous part it is. Very cool, I bet it does send shivers down your spine. Eek

G
G
Impressive work! What an great history behind an item as simpel as an helmet.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------
GDC silver badge #368
History and collecting at it's best!

Always Looking for Quality US Airborne items. [email protected]
This is the part I like too...digging into the past. It is truly amazing what you can find out when you put your mind to it. Nice detective work, Ken. It's no longer just another SS helmet, it's now a helmet with a history.

Cheers,

Darryl
Unbelievable work Ken. Could you imagine if that helmet could talk...

P
P
Amazing,horrible, terrific example. true history in your hands. Dawg!
Paul

A
A
Amazing! It sure is neat to be able to connect history with an item... I for one wouldn't want to see the things this one has seen.

Andrew

O
O
Fascinating report, Ken. Please keep us apprised of further results.

Cody

S
S
Awesome provenance and history for this helmet. Amazing to see that it survived with both insignia despite the removal order. A ghastly piece of history! Great piece!
Harry

While reveling in the passion of helmet collecting and the feeling you get when you recieve a new helmet.

It is totally different when the actual history of a piece is known..to you for the first time.

It's very quiet.

For then the helmet talks.

Chris
What I've found is, that the more it talks, the quieter it is when it does.

Chris
B
B
Great stuff Ken. Sometimes a helmet really does "talk to you".

"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow"
-Cross of Iron
shu Offline
Cool research, Ken. Well done. You should donate it to the Museum in Auschwitz! Would be part of World Heritage. (Just kiddin)Big Grin

Shu

What an amazing discovery. Eek Cool

Tim
Well Done! This is why I established my SS Officer's Research Service over 25 years ago to research items.
I have an M33 SS Eickhorn Ground Rohm that is serial numbered that I have traced to an office at Auschwitz and was on the camp's staff. I contacted his family, but no answer was forthcoming. His children didn't want to be involved.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
J
J
Fascinating story Ken! What willage here in CZ was he from?

Ken N Offline OP
OP Offline
Jan:
He was born in Karlovy Vary. You wouldn't happen to live near there would you?

J
J
I personally live cca 200kms far from Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) but my very good friend lives there! If you have some detailed info about his address he could try to find some info!
Here is the link to official sites of K.V. if interested in...
http://www.karlovyvary.cz/index.asp?ProfileId=2&LangId=2

Jan

J
J
Hi Ken,

my E-mail cannot be delivered to your address... I will do my best to find any info on this guy...

Hello Ken

You did some very nice work. Well done.
I'm also digging and looking for more info, I found some but I'm affraid that I will end before I know the things about unit rank etc...
If someone wants to help me always welcome Cool Wink

Best regards
Nick Herpoel

Looking for nice M40 SD helmets

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,308 SS Bayonets
1,764,351 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,073 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,181
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave, Nietzsche, den70, Documentalist, Tanker, Vern), 628 guests, and 115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod