Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42288 12/17/2009 04:06 AM
R
RFI Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well, I know there are some of you who probably know this story. There are others who will not believe it no-matter what I or anyone else says.
A very good friend of mine; lets call him the “phantom” was the first person to do hotel buys several decades ago. One day a vet walked into the hotel with this dagger and an Adolf Hitler presentation picture frame with a picture dedicated to Von Epp. I am pretty sure I saw Steve Wolf with this picture frame several years back. Anyway, the vet saw a servant burring something in the back yard of Von Epp’s estate at the end of the war. He pulled up and asked for the objects they were burying. These objects were taken form the house and second to the frame was a Huhnlein dagger. I think the “phantom” sold it years ago for 300 or 400 dollars, I will have to ask him and have him reiterate the story to make sure I am accurate in my statement.
Take it for what you will, “You can’t make everyone happy all of the time”. This would be a very old and elaborate scheme for someone to concoct. If the Huhnlen dagger is bad so are the presentation Hitler picture frames. I hope I did not open another can of worms!
Merry Christmas!
Bob

Stories aren't worth very much in this racket ,,, And if one must rely on a good story to sell an item, then that item will always be at least questionable, and hence controversial.

There is no other way.

Don't get me wrong, provinence? has its attractions, and the words of a vet can and do carry some weight.
Signed documents & period pictures also.
Problems start immediately though when someone else tells the vets story,and the story gets rather meaningless after being passed down through 3 people.
Nothing more than 3rd hand heresy "I know a guy who knew a guy that was the son of the guy who bought this from the guy who got this out of Hitlers apartment in 1945".
I mean, come on.
One might as well not even waste the breath trying to tell something like that, you'll only come across like a slick used car salesman.

Added flourishes like "He served in the 3rd infantry division, he was on Omaha beach on D-day and the battle of the bulge too, before liberating Hitlers house!" don't help either, even if wholly or partially true.
People are just going to roll their eyes and say Ok, thanks for the info, how much you want for it ? ,,, Thinking in the back of their minds "this guy is full of BS and he really, really wants to sell this thing".

That is why the simple adage "buy the item, not the story" carries the most weight of all, 99% of the times.

Doug
B
BDE Offline
B
Hey Bob.
In this day and age this is like asking people to believe in Santa Clause.
DO you ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Brian

S
S
Doug,your words are right on the money!!!!

Sepp

A
A
Bob:
If the "Von Epp" being referred to in the above story is Franz Ritter Von Epp who was the head of the NSDAP Military political Office I,for one, fail to see any connection with Huhnlein or why he would have been presented with a dagger.
I think most of us who have been in this hobby for awhile and dig items out-of-the-woodwork have heard our share of strange acquisition stories and second or third hand stories become hearsay and we all know what a judge in court will do when presented with hearsay evidence.
Look at the stories we had at the start of the Huhnlein thread where we had a dagger found in a barn, No wait it was in the house, By a fireman who just took it, No it was given to a fireman. Enough said.
Jim

B
B
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
Bob:
If the "Von Epp" being referred to in the above story is Franz Ritter Von Epp who was the head of the NSDAP Military political Office I,for one, fail to see any connection with Huhnlein or why he would have been presented with a dagger.
I think most of us who have been in this hobby for awhile and dig items out-of-the-woodwork have heard our share of strange acquisition stories and second or third hand stories become hearsay and we all know what a judge in court will do when presented with hearsay evidence.
Look at the stories we had at the start of the Huhnlein thread where we had a dagger found in a barn, No wait it was in the house, By a fireman who just took it, No it was given to a fireman. Enough said.
Jim

Jim-
Von Epp was an Ehrenfuhrer in the NSKK holding the rank of Obergruppenfuhrer.
Bob

"A man needs to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gold Badge #263
R
RFI Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Bob!
I am really curious what the experience of most of the people who have responded on this dagger type is. How long have all of you collected and what is your experience? Jim, I know you are experienced but I have to wonder about many of those who have contributed to these posts.
Best Wishes,
Bob

A
A
Bob C.
That information wasn't available in my resources. I await with interest future developments.
RFI:
I await future developments here as well.
Jim

B
B
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
Bob C.
That information wasn't available in my resources. I await with interest future developments.
RFI:
I await future developments here as well.
Jim

Von Epp also held the rank of Obergruppenfuhrer in the SA. Von Epp's named NSKK mantel with the Ehrenfuhrer cufftitle, his matching kepi with carmine top and a dagger were sold to Bob's Military Hobbies in Santa Monica, California, in the mid 1960's by the vet who aquired them during the war. The kepi is on the cover of Volume IV of "Headgear of Hitler's Germany."

"A man needs to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gold Badge #263
quote:
Originally posted by RFI:
Thanks Bob!
I am really curious what the experience of most of the people who have responded on this dagger type is. How long have all of you collected and what is your experience? Jim, I know you are experienced but I have to wonder about many of those who have contributed to these posts.
Best Wishes,
Bob

I've been collecting seriously 7 or 8 years, don't exactly keep track.
Got my first SA when I was 11 and am 40 now.

I didn't see your post as asking for opinions on a particular dagger - Impossible to do without pics anyhow.
You laid out a story and said "so what do you all think about that" ?
No one was impressed, are you surprised about that ?

Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,029 SS Bayonets
1,762,224 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,202 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/19/2024 09:03 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,040
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dean Perdue, The_Collector, Texasuberalles, Jonesy, Dave, Gaspare, Eric26), 887 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod