Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#361531 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
wotan Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear fellow collectors, lately I had the feeling I have overslept a development. A development in prices. When I looked into the updates of the Weitze site I could not believe what I saw:
https://www.weitze.net/militaria/79/Kriegsmarine_Dolch_fuer_Offiziere__435979.html perhaps average EICKHORN navy dagger with multiple broken grip and totally frayed portepee for 1600 EUR and
https://www.weitze.net/militaria/55/Kriegsmarine_Dolch_fuer_Offiziere__462855.html a HOELLER with hammere scabbard but imho deeply rusted blade for 1950 EUR???? I know that prices are always a point of view and ask three collectors about them you will get four different answers but this dvelopment in a very short time seems for me..... Up to now a nice "common" navy did cost about 800.- to 900.- EUR or $$ and mostly was left alone.

In the last ratisbons auction there were a lot of edged weapons, obviously a colletion and parts of other collections were auctioned and the auction run quite well in my eyes although some colllectors started to hesitate because of the high fees there.

Now I see at Herman Historica for 10th may another auction with a lot of different good looking edged weapons, obviously (due to the certain items) another collection(s). The starting prices seem to be quite moderate and there seem to be some interesting pieces (eg. a doubtless original ALCOSO water protection police dagger).Obviously several collections were/are auctioned this year, I personally wonder about the reason.

If there area lot of edged weapons on the market the prices normally go down but not now (see Weitze).
I would like to know how do you feel, observe or think about the certain situation?
Regards

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
S
S
Hi Wotan I have also noticed an increase in Naval daggers but in good examples Heer daggers have increased of course both SA and NSKK to include decent RZM examples I was looking for a decent Heer artillery officer visor at SOS and a good one could NOT be found for under $1000 I acqured a beautiful example last month at a local Toronto show for $475 USDa decent heer artillery officer's tunic at SOS was $1500 I know that a flood of good German material has cme to market ahead of the total ban in Australia I also know that collectors down under paid a heavy premium for their merchandise comparatively speaking....... are these mediocre daggers realizing these prices..............???? used to be that condition sold cheers Ryan

B
Online Content
B
What I see is junk edged weapons priced at 600$ and up. At our last show I had dozens of people asking about pricing and if I thought dealers were inflating prices by a crazy amount. Yeah 100% they are but some of the stuff seems to be selling. The stuff I wouldn't even consider for parts are moving. It will always blow me away that things like SS daggers out price minty Postal daggers. That is however a different topic. I wouldn't patronize Weirze ( my personal opinion)
Bret Van Sant

wotan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your thoughts and contributions. In may there will be some shows and auctions here and I will observe how all develops. I am especially interested how the auction market develops as there seem to come a lot of interesting items to be offered.
There might be a connex with the Australian changes, I have heard this too.
But, to come back to my first post here, due to my experiences there are enough navies in much better conditio and much lower prices than the two ones mentioned.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
L
L
my thought. It's not just the German items that have gone insane . US military items have gone through the roof also. Doesn't matter it ww2, civil war, nam or other periods it's just gone wild. The bottom ;line here is greed dealers know they will get someone that will come along and spend there money on the items. Me I don't collect anylonger, I refuse to pay these stupid prices. I rather take my money and spend it on books( good reference books). This is my view.

The recent change in laws regarding 3th Reich stuff in Austria forced a couple of collectors (a few of them having had large collections) to sell their blades collection, just to be on the save side.
Ratisbon is a big player here, being near the Austrian border and getting good prices at their auctions makes them a good choice.
I would advise to get your dagger of choice now that they are avaible, the current collections will be dried up soon.
And we all know that these prices will slowly increase as their is very little quaility stuff been offered in the EU since corona.

So get them while you can wink

Ger

Originally Posted by Gerrit1963
The recent change in laws regarding 3th Reich stuff in Austria forced a couple of collectors (a few of them having had large collections) to sell their blades collection, just to be on the save side.
Ratisbon is a big player here, being near the Austrian border and getting good prices at their auctions makes them a good choice.
I would advise to get your dagger of choice now that they are avaible, the current collections will be dried up soon.
And we all know that these prices will slowly increase as their is very little quaility stuff been offered in the EU since corona.

So get them while you can wink

Ger

Ratisbon and HH, wo is also near the border of Austria

S
S
One can see the evidence as the prices rise on Heer daggers and second pattern Luftwaffe also as mentioned good conditioned Kriegsmarine daggers, always a tough sell have begun to top $1500 to $2000

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,431 SS Bayonets
1,763,802 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,557 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK dienst dolch
by BretVanSant - 05/04/2024 03:42 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Fritz Barthelmess Bavaria Muggendorf SA
by Vern - 05/04/2024 01:07 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 11:25 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:08 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,100
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (bushido, Dean Perdue, Evgeniy, Sasha), 537 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod