Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#344986 11/27/2019 12:30 PM
Dion Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Guys,

I`ve had this dagger on another forum to try and desipher the name that is engraved on the crossguard of this dagger, but unfortunately had no luck?
Is there anyone here that might be able to read the engraving?
Many thanks in advance,

Dion

Army-dagger-inscription.jpg (34.27 KB, 157 downloads)
Army-dagger-inscription-clo.jpg (40.76 KB, 159 downloads)

Even the Gods are helpless against stupidity!
Hello Dion, I did look at the inscription a long time. But how hard I tried I could not come to any remarkable result. To me it does not look like a normal name-inscription but an individual facsimile signature. Therefore, although obviously written in a kind of Suetterlin, it is very hard if not imposible to read if you do not know the person. There are portions -especially the (adorned?) first letter or the first two letters and the last letter- which do not resemble any by me known letter.
The three letters before the last letter seem to read "t g e" but could also be "t p e" or "t g n" so no real help.
It is a nice early dagger (could it be a PUMA???).
Perhaps any other member can recognize more of the inscription.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Dion Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Wotan,

Thanks for the reply and for taking time to try to desipher this! I know this is not easy and I have tried to get this desiphered for a long time but nobody can read this? Anyway, I`ll keep on trying.
Just for the info, its actually a SMF dagger. Thanks, i like it alot and it was my last purchase a couple of months back. Unlike the usual SMF daggers, this one has not lost its plating and is virtually all still present.

Dion

Last edited by Dion; 11/28/2019 09:13 AM.

M
M
hi members
very intresting army officers dagger with name i am all most convinced tto go along with wootans opinion but i need more evidence convincing myself after going thru with same thing twenty five years ago i couldnt get my army officers dagger cross guard read if i stood in macys window upside down only becaus my inscription name was in old suttlin scriptd which hitler took out of the german schools in the earlier days and yes at first glance i too thought this idoesnt look good but i think i might have figured out the first letter in name possibly jorg which is george or possibly johawn please look my army officers dagger layed a long time and both researches said andy this officer was never in the german army that didnt make sence to me they couldnt read the name well in my small town in north east pennsylvania we have a german butcher the owners were to young to ask then i noticed a very aged woman eighty and up i asked her for help lucky day for me she said this is in old sutterlin scriptd and i just finished a few clases in my school many years ago on this sutterlin script and then it was banned from germany but i read it for you well my name is jorg berg commander of the sixth ss army panzer tank division gross deutchland this panzer leader died very young on the russian front was also winner of germanys highest award the knights cross with oaks i have all his files i never thought i would own such a great piece of german history so dion remember this rohm wasnt built in a day and in our great hobby we are the keepers of this history so dont give up its not over till the fat lady sings this case she didnt sing yet please let us know of any updates god bless andy militarynut

Dion Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Militarynut
hi members
very intresting army officers dagger with name i am all most convinced tto go along with wootans opinion but i need more evidence convincing myself after going thru with same thing twenty five years ago i couldnt get my army officers dagger cross guard read if i stood in macys window upside down only becaus my inscription name was in old suttlin scriptd which hitler took out of the german schools in the earlier days and yes at first glance i too thought this idoesnt look good but i think i might have figured out the first letter in name possibly jorg which is george or possibly johawn please look my army officers dagger layed a long time and both researches said andy this officer was never in the german army that didnt make sence to me they couldnt read the name well in my small town in north east pennsylvania we have a german butcher the owners were to young to ask then i noticed a very aged woman eighty and up i asked her for help lucky day for me she said this is in old sutterlin scriptd and i just finished a few clases in my school many years ago on this sutterlin script and then it was banned from germany but i read it for you well my name is jorg berg commander of the sixth ss army panzer tank division gross deutchland this panzer leader died very young on the russian front was also winner of germanys highest award the knights cross with oaks i have all his files i never thought i would own such a great piece of german history so dion remember this rohm wasnt built in a day and in our great hobby we are the keepers of this history so dont give up its not over till the fat lady sings this case she didnt sing yet please let us know of any updates god bless andy militarynut

Hi Andy,
Thanks a ton for your answer and interesting story! Awesome to have something as special as your dagger. I will certainly find someone who can read the script as I've now moved to Germany and Im sure there are people here that can still read this S?ttelin Schrift. Thanks guys!!
Cheers,
Dion

M
M
hi dion
glad i could help a little along with mr. wootan and outher members please keep in mind in germany as you know if you show a swazticka you will be have a serious problem with the police who dont play games i remember a shop owner who showed a customer a helmet with the swaz two hours later was arrested shame but the law is the law over there ok then if i can be of any more help just ring my bell god bless safe trip back togermany andy

Maybe this will help:

index.png (9.72 KB, 81 downloads)
Dion Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Dave, that might just help! I'll see if I can desipher it myself?

Cheers,
Dion

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,670 SS Bayonets
1,760,362 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,803 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Latest New Posts
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Stephen - 03/29/2024 02:00 PM
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 01:01 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:21 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:13 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,653
Posts328,721
Members7,502
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Documentalist, Stephen, RookieSA, Gaspare, Tanker, Jmart98, Baz69, Evgeniy), 565 guests, and 139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod