Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#342312 04/18/2019 02:03 PM
M
OP Offline
M
A very detailed howitzer on a cyclone division field artillery ring, a fine Italian made cameo ring for a member of the 803rd military police, probably Naples made. And a ring for war workers, reads The United Front Behind the Front. Never seen one before. I love the detail in the Art Deco cartouche.

M
OP Offline
M
Better pics

M
OP Offline
M
There is an engraving between the maker mark and the silver that looks something like D99M and on the bottom of the inside it looks like it says 360 or something else

G
G
Mike,, really interesting cartouche! But rather mushy,,and faults/cast dots in between letters is looks like.. Don't spend big money on it!!

M
OP Offline
M
Gaspare, no offense- but why on earth would you disparage this ring? It is to any one of the USA ring collectors and others I have spoken with - they identify it as a one of kind wearable piece of art. I hope you are not upset with me based on other posts, because honestly G- I mean no disrespect to you or anyone on this forum. But ?dont spend a lot of money on it?? Really? Is that necessary? It matters not to me, as its never leaving my collection. Its a New York mural impressed or hand engraved or cast or whatever on a ring. I love it.

M
M
hi mike
those are some nicely done ww2 korean war american rings hey gaspare dont be so hard on my number one man mike please take into concideration the wear on these rings for 70 yrs thats why there are blurry and a little unsightly they look like heavy sterling silver mountings mike take two asprin and call me in the morning thanks mike nice rings keep them comeing god bless andy militarynut

Online Content
I really like these rings. Thanks for sharing them. Have you identified the maker mark? Thank you.

Mikee #342389 04/23/2019 01:24 AM
D
D
Great rings, Mike! Glad you got those first two...I was looking at them myself. Third one down is really unique, never saw one like that before. I imagine those were produced for those kept out of the service for doing essential war work. Everybody was super patriotic in those times, so it was worn as a source of "team pride". I see nothing that would indicate it being cast in any way. The markings would indicate that the cartouche (which were often interchangeable) on this one was a new design at the time. Great pickups all around!

D
D
Just as a quick point here, a lot of the things we are quick to dismiss as a casting flaw also can happen during die stamping. Dies wear down, details can get blurry, dies can crack leaving marks or lines, dies can pickup small fragments of metal and transfer them from one piece to another. These things can all be referenced by simply looking at any error coins online. Those were produced by the US government running a high quality minting operation, and yet they occurred then and still do today. I am not saying that casting flaws do not exist, only that we need to look at the whole ring, analyze the whole package before we pronounce judgement. In many cases I think we err on the side of caution in order not to point others in the wrong direction. Just my thoughts here.

M
OP Offline
M
Might be the in-house patent application number, shoot- could be a prototype that wasn?t followed up. I can see why they wouldnt tbh- lots of detail, think of how many molds (or dies?) they would go through?

Last edited by Mike (aka Byzanti); 04/23/2019 02:01 AM.
M
M
hi dak41
you have several good points as far as dies are concerned and i believe you are right dirty dies cracked molds etc ofthis happnes over the years of makeing these rare to find rings hope the prices were priced reasnble ps dont have to mention prices thats your bussiness thats great to still find such nice looking rare american service rings ok guys have a great blessed day andy militarynut

G
G
Mike,, no disrespect you know I love you..
Dies are hand cut. Now, almost a lost art.. The master,,is PERFECT period! it gets hardened then working dies get made.. when they wear out/break,,they go to the die room , get the master and make another working die..
OR,,maybe its later and a remembrance type thing and cast.. I',m just commenting it has flaws..
When I say big money,,well now that my life has changed and help my kids and enjoy my grandkids.. IF you spent $1000,, $600. for these rings and knowing that you too are a family man,,,, in my opinion that would be a mistake.. Just my opinion,, but if you can do it,,then as always,,enjoy them which you seem to do so I'm happy for you..

,,in a few months I'll be 60,,still feel like a kid most days..Guys,,one day we won't be above ground.. And our wonderful , expensive collections? Believe me,,other than maybe your kids picking a piece or 2 for themselves it will be a burden for the family to sell[?] or move them on. This is what I have been seeing and I'll go on record as not my opinion but what will happen....7 or 8 years ago when our friend Tony started selling his world class SS cloth I thought him crazy.. But he was right,,the writing was on the wall and most didn't read it and losing out now. Old collectors that have been telling their wives for 40 years 'honey one day when I sell all this we'll travel the world, buy the kids houses etc. Well it didn't happen,,,sh**t happens and I'm not going to say more.
Just go to the MAX/SOS,,there used to be lines around the block,,now its just dealers dumping mainly on each other and some new guys get some good deals IF they are smart.. nuff'said..

If you like it and can afford it without disturbing the family then you know my saying,,enjoy them guys.. Authentic rings are a hard find but they are still out there so keep it going we all enjoy seeing them.., Thanks, Gaspare

M
M
hi gaspare
i have to agree with you as far as collections being sold for several reasons health age etc but please remember this if you have good ss items they sell might not get what we used to but in my opinion there is every once in a while a son or grandson gets thier daddys money and they dont care how they spend the fathers gradfathers money because they didnt earn it as far as third reich rings is concerned people dont even ask is this real or fake they fork out 200/300 and the seller tells them a story nothing but horror stories but this goes back to the seller how honest is he whats his reputation buyers dont ask untill they get screwed sad but true in my opinion i feel the person who has the most toys are winners because they dont make them any more ok guys have a great day god bless vandy militarynut

Well said Gaspare.

No matter how much we enjoy military collecting...in reality, it will all be left behind...while we all move on to our 2nd appointment.

I've been collecting for 50+ years and have never heard anyone say (as they are about to pass on into eternity) I wish that I gotten just one more military item for my collection.

Last edited by johnnyrocket; 04/29/2019 02:39 PM.

Natural Born American Citizen
American Patriot
U.S. Army Vet. 1969-'71 Spc.5 Field Artillery Crewman
Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!
M
OP Offline
M
You cant take it with you as they say! So true...

G
G
JohnnyR, wink

* our various opinions are what makes this ring forum the absolute best. Study, deductions, common sense are some of the ways towards authentication of our pieces......

M
OP Offline
M
Here is a very rarely seen ww2 grouse company enamel- the elusive us army paratroops ring with the insignia surrounded by a sky blue enamel encircled by the deeper blue around the lettering. Wonderful piece to own, especially for all you airborne and band of brothers fans.

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,455 SS Bayonets
1,760,270 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,728 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Honestmike, Mbuin, Baz69, Evgeniy, AndyRose, The_Collector, AntonGrabbe, Don Scowen), 463 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod