Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#340083 09/27/2018 05:07 PM
OP Offline
A couple of my rings for view and comment. Hope you like them

Mike

Womens Air Corps - Band has JKM and HJ10K
USAAF (Pilot) - Band has DSN and HJ ???
POW Camp - Band has Sterling
USN - Band has Sterling

Not sure what the last one is, but the Band has Sterling. WRB USA 36831162 8-6-43 to 11-27-45

The watch was in the box with the rings, so I took a snap of that. Watch does have what appears to be an address scratched on it, but I have not posted that.

Will remove watch if deemed to be in wrong place.

WAC-a.jpg (50.97 KB, 197 downloads)
WAC1.jpg (11.73 KB, 197 downloads)
WAC2.jpg (13.23 KB, 197 downloads)
USAAF.jpg (11.12 KB, 197 downloads)
Last edited by Spike Jones; 09/27/2018 05:25 PM.
OP Offline

20180927_144015.jpg (10.62 KB, 195 downloads)
POW2.jpg (17.08 KB, 179 downloads)
POW.jpg (58.24 KB, 179 downloads)
POW1.jpg (12.64 KB, 181 downloads)
OP Offline

USN.jpg (15.83 KB, 177 downloads)
20180927_144042.jpg (13.99 KB, 182 downloads)
20180927_144051.jpg (13.73 KB, 185 downloads)
OP Offline

20180927_144108.jpg (16.03 KB, 183 downloads)
20180927_171659.jpg (58.12 KB, 187 downloads)
20180927_171714.jpg (46.07 KB, 185 downloads)
20180927_171918.jpg (44.88 KB, 186 downloads)
OP Offline

20180927_171954.jpg (83.12 KB, 185 downloads)
M
M
Great rings mike thanks for sharing them! Dont know much about the watch but the movement looks to be in good shape. The wac ring probably gold and the enamel ring with the engraving is awesome very nice mans service number and dates he served- excellent. I like the buffalo and cannon too on the other ring, great find.

G
G
I've heard mant times,,,and there have been guys that have checked,,the POW rings are fantasy... It's just what I heard and it is easy to probably do research on them.. They don't really made sense though... Now that womens ring looks great. What super detail!! And,, the watch.. I like that engraving. Many will find fault,,but I like it.. IF the watch itself is period why not!!!, nice looking piece!

Gaspare #340096 09/27/2018 08:32 PM
OP Offline
Hi Mike and Gaspare - Many thanks for your replies. smile :)Shame about the POW ring. Do you if there was a "P
OW Camp Robinson " or is that fantasy also ? Are you able to shed any info on the enamelled ring ? Which branch of the forces would it relate to ?

I understand the watch to be period and genuine and was awarded/belonged to this gent grin

IMG_0270.JPG (39.69 KB, 156 downloads)
M
M
Enameled ring -if that one has the dates and serial number, I would guess that they represent his service time in the us army- end of 45 would probably see the first discharges from draftee service (duration of the war plus 6 months). The serial number would be for an enlisted draftee from Illinois Michigan or Wisconsin. There?s a camp Robinson in Arkansas I believe but that is all I know about it.

G
G
That camp IF I have it correct: http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2398

OR, any POW camp in the US that housed Germans I seriously doubt there would be a ring for them. What purpose what it serve?.. Certainly not something they would want to remember.

2nd,,who would cut a die or make a mold for such a ring? and offer it to them... Prisoners enterented the camp without any money. Once the camp was set up for those inmates who worked received 80 cents a day... Thats a beauty of a ring ,,made of sterling Silver, and would be very expensive at the time ...so I don't think even if there were such a ring with them even being there a few years they still wouldn't be able to afford it. Peak amount of inmates was 1000 men. I don't see a desire of it the Germans would want one. Nor do I think a maker would want to be associated with making one for a Nazi POW. There have been some who have checked in to these POW rings and have always reached a dead end..

But your other pieces are beauties! Especially the watch. Many hate anything engraved with SS runes.. But it does n't seem to be over done.. doesn't look like other engravings that are fake. Get that movement checked and dated. IF from the period that is a really nice believable piece.. Very nice!!...,Gaspare

Gaspare #340100 09/28/2018 01:16 AM
M
M
hi spike
just loking at the rings you posted very nice rings but i have to agree with gaspare on the pow ring from camp robinson i heard nothing good about these rings over the years good looking but i dont think in my opinion its period made from what i know about in the last forty years with german pocket watches especially when they are marked ss i really put my skills to work looking at this pocket watch that you just posted in my opinion has several defects to my eyes first defect tells me its fake where the serial number is stamped it has been jeweled this process came out after the war probly 1950s second defect in my eyes about this pocket watch has only one jewel and that is pictured on the balance wheel appears to be a ruby all the rest of the guts show no jewels at all cheaply made it appears to be by the famious marked jergens logo to make it appear to be period but its not as far as the ss engraveing it would also in my opinion be after the war cant put exact date this watch was made its not new thats for sure hope you all agree with my experence and opinions on german third reich marked watches spike wish i had a better opinion for you thanks for showing us guys your rings n watch god bless andy militarynut

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mike (aka Byzanti)
Enameled ring -if that one has the dates and serial number, I would guess that they represent his service time in the us army- end of 45 would probably see the first discharges from draftee service (duration of the war plus 6 months). The serial number would be for an enlisted draftee from Illinois Michigan or Wisconsin. There?s a camp Robinson in Arkansas I believe but that is all I know about it.

Thanks Mike - Appreciate the response and insight.

Gaspare #340103 09/28/2018 09:09 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gaspare
That camp IF I have it correct: http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2398

OR, any POW camp in the US that housed Germans I seriously doubt there would be a ring for them. What purpose what it serve?.. Certainly not something they would want to remember.

2nd,,who would cut a die or make a mold for such a ring? and offer it to them... Prisoners enterented the camp without any money. Once the camp was set up for those inmates who worked received 80 cents a day... Thats a beauty of a ring ,,made of sterling Silver, and would be very expensive at the time ...so I don't think even if there were such a ring with them even being there a few years they still wouldn't be able to afford it. Peak amount of inmates was 1000 men. I don't see a desire of it the Germans would want one. Nor do I think a maker would want to be associated with making one for a Nazi POW. There have been some who have checked in to these POW rings and have always reached a dead end..

But your other pieces are beauties! Especially the watch. Many hate anything engraved with SS runes.. But it does n't seem to be over done.. doesn't look like other engravings that are fake. Get that movement checked and dated. IF from the period that is a really nice believable piece.. Very nice!!...,Gaspare

Thanks for the response Gaspare. I can now see where you are coming from. I agree with you, it is a nice ring smile

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Militarynut
hi spike
just loking at the rings you posted very nice rings but i have to agree with gaspare on the pow ring from camp robinson i heard nothing good about these rings over the years good looking but i dont think in my opinion its period made from what i know about in the last forty years with german pocket watches especially when they are marked ss i really put my skills to work looking at this pocket watch that you just posted in my opinion has several defects to my eyes first defect tells me its fake where the serial number is stamped it has been jeweled this process came out after the war probly 1950s second defect in my eyes about this pocket watch has only one jewel and that is pictured on the balance wheel appears to be a ruby all the rest of the guts show no jewels at all cheaply made it appears to be by the famious marked jergens logo to make it appear to be period but its not as far as the ss engraveing it would also in my opinion be after the war cant put exact date this watch was made its not new thats for sure hope you all agree with my experence and opinions on german third reich marked watches spike wish i had a better opinion for you thanks for showing us guys your rings n watch god bless andy militarynut

Thanks for the response Andy and for sharing your thoughts and opinions. You have certainly given me some pointers to think about and research further.

M
M
hi spike
thank you for fast reply we here on gdc ring forum try hard to give our best opinions on what is shown here some times we are wrong if so we appoligize pointing out different defects or markings etc on the items shown makes sence ps forgot to mention on the pocket watch the painted marks on the dial of the watch appears to be u.s. military time on a german watch doesnt fit but who knows who did it but still doesnt change my opinion to many flags as i understand it some one now is makeing up watches like these with swiss movements and stamping the german name of jurgens to sell them as ww2 made watches then if they stamp u-boat kreigs eagle M on those they seem to sell also mine field but i would be willing at any time to any one that wants some of my over fifty five years experence to help them please e mail here or privatly at [email protected] it would be my pleasure to help ok spike hope and wish youi better days god bless andy militarynut

G
G
yes forget the POW ring...

Now the watch if good would be a really great piece.. Any good, competent, experienced watch repairmen/maker should be able to tell you the age of the inside.... Age, where from etc.
IF its from the period thats great. It could be from any country really... From Europe would be great. IF its from an Allied country its not so bad as it could have been a captured piece he decided to keep!
I really like the engraving. As mentioned before not over done, tastefully done and by a experienced engraver.. Do some checking, research and you might be pleasantly surprised what you find!.. Let us know.......

Gaspare #340124 09/29/2018 04:22 PM
M
M
hi gaspare
there is no douibt in my mind that the movement in this fake signed jergens logo pocket watch is only maybe a year old and please take note that the movement has no jewels to make it run for 70yrs just one jewel on the balance wheel thats all a possibly ruby the rest is just presed for the cheaper movements where the jewels on a period watch would be as far as the engraveing on the outside of the cover ss marked named yes this was not done yesterday its old but how old in my opinion its not period if you like it finethis is to me if the inside of the apple is rotted then so is the outside and thats my opinion ask any one on the forum to show you a period third reich jergens marked pocket watch and see if you can see any jewels to make the watch run for 70yrs not 10yrs with rivited jewels also please dont for get to look at the jeweled swirls made after the war just like done on a rifle bolt in the 1950s its called jeweled this does not belong on a period third reich pocket watch never happned i hope you see what i see i dont know of any outher way to explain what i see and what i know is right or wrong so far great discussion on two different opinions god bless andy militarynut

G
G
Andy,, I know nothing about pockwatch movements / insides etc. But there are a number of scenarios that could have happened. I have a nice Soviet pocket watch.. A great engraving inside the case etc. I asked around about what I could do because the inside, the watch, is broken, face came off , arms missing etc. One jeweler said to try and find another of the same year etc. and switch them out.. Thats not going to work.. Finding the same old inside isn't going to happen. Maybe if I lived there.. The other 2 said just put anything inside,,its the case that is unique! .. Don't really like that either. So for now I keep the broken one in..

Now for this watch.. Maybe the inside watch was broken, damaged, whatever.. So maybe tey just put in whatever fit the easiest [?] I don't know.. For me I like the engraving. Really, there is no way to prove it one way or another.. And, he has the sane options IF he is going to keep it.. Leave the inside watch he;s got in there,,,OR try and find the correct one [ I'd say near impossible ] But thats up to him as the owner.. Thats whats great in this hobby,,we can offer as many opinions as we all want,,,but in the end its the owner that either doesn't like it anymore,,or still has a love affair with it! If its bothersome to you get rid of it,,IF you like it,,, ENJOY it! , Happy hunting guys....,G.

M
M
hi gaspare
sad to say it could have gone down like you say but even the case that you like only because of the engraveing of the back with ss and named but look what some one has ruined the case with jeweling on the inside cover and the american military numbers of the time painted on the dial still feel it was put together by some one outher then the owner and you are right probly never find another set of guts to put into the case still shoveling poop against the tide it is what it is we cant change anything here hope this information helps the owner of this put together pocket watch god bless all andy militarynut

D
D
As an American ring collector, I'm gonna throw this out there. I think people who dismiss POW camp rings as fantasy are looking at it the wrong way. I believe them to be authentic but not made for the prisoners...that would just be silly. They were made for the administrative personnel who ran the camps. Every US serviceman was proud of his service, no matter if it was stateside doing sub patrols, instructing pilots, or keeping watch over 1000 POWs. It is a service ring for the US troops there. Also why there are not many of them floating around, most of those bases kept minimal soldiers there.

G
G
name of the game was combat!! every self respecting soldier wanted to either be in the ETW or in the Pacific.. Not babysitting some German POWs farming potatoes etc.

When there was a forum called Military collecting network [MCN?] something or other.. The real wild one,,you could curse, call people out. A real free for all..anyway...

There was a real sharp guy there with US rings. He did his homework... He had found out a ring such as this was never made and offered as some had full hallmarks etc. .. When challenged he even had some kind of yearbook,, don't know what you call it , with all the US service men that worked there all signing the book for their friends etc. actually made contact and none mentioned or remembered such a ring.
They all wanted to rotate back to their former units and get back in the game [War!]... Those are the rings they wanted was their original unit rings... He made good sense then and still makes good sense now..

Maybe if there was some sort of advertising as there was all sorts for US rings it would have a chance but there is no documentation on such a ring anywhere..

Last edited by Gaspare; 10/04/2018 04:37 AM.
M
M
hi dak41
thank you for your opinion on the u.s. pow ring untill better information comes along concerning these pow camp rings i like gaspares opinion here that has more credibility to his opinion but still no cigar for either of you guys perhaps another member can post something more on these unusual pow rings i seen you looking at all my u.s. rings that i had at the max show for sale i believe you was looking with my daughter helping you i did have some different u.s. rings there plus all all my skull rings etc we learn every day something new in our hobby i will post something new i learned yesterday while searching wehrmacht keep tuned please god bless andy militarynut

M
M
hi spike
some more information for you and members to lookat on wehrmacht forum under kreigsmarine equipment forum very intresting pocket watch simular to yours only diference is this is a stop watch for the time and impact of artillery shells and torpedos they were produced for both services only difference artl.7678 compared to eagleM marked but as you can see this movement has jewels i would say its a seven jewel four on top and three on bottom of gears a swiss movement same maker jergehans as yours it also says trade mark is Kochmann registered in 1927 in germany and they call this watch Alpina artillery chronograph made between 1940-43 germany was still dealing with several countries for equipment for thier services such as kreigsmarine this pocket watch is more believeable than the one ss you have only because this watch has not been altered in any way but can we take a chance in todays world of fakers of these watches and cameras no is the answer for me but still interesting to look at please let me know what you guys think thanks very much for your time god bless andy militarynut

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,438 SS Bayonets
1,763,954 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,560 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK dienst dolch
by BretVanSant - 05/04/2024 03:42 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Fritz Barthelmess Bavaria Muggendorf SA
by Vern - 05/04/2024 01:07 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 11:25 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:08 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,100
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mikee, BigBub, polop), 553 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod